Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cory6188
Topic Author

Why does STT have CBP "pre-clearance"?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:41 am

I'm not sure what the right term is to describe the CBP process that you go through when departing STT, but in various trips from STT over the years, I've always wondered why STT has a full CBP station that you go through when departing, whereas SJU does not.

As a territory, you have freedom of movement as a US citizen, so it's not for that reason. I know that the US Virgin Islands are outside the US Customs Zone, so while I can appreciate that they might be inspecting bags for that reason, the officers sure treat it like a full immigration check. Although you don't formally need your passport, they certainly look through them and swipe them, and when my brother forgot to bring his passport and only had his drivers license, the officer did a fairly lengthy "lookup" in the system to verify his identify.

Anyone have any insight as to why STT has CBP? Is it a "double-check" due to the porous nature of being able to get from other islands to the USVI, and then from STT to the US mainland from there? Something else?

MIflyer12

Re: Why does STT have CBP "pre-clearance"?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:07 am

Cory6188 wrote:
I know that the US Virgin Islands are outside the US Customs Zone...

Different personal duty customs exemptions.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... cVR0Ym8%3D

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... exemptions

airbazar

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:56 am

The way it was explained to me a long time ago is because smuggling of goods and people could easily take place into the U.S. via St. Thomas if there were no departure checks. It sort of makes sense as it woldn't take much to get into a dingy and row across from the BVI's.

Gr8Circle

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I was in the USVI few years ago and while leaving from STT, the immigration officer specifically asked if I had visited the BVI during my stay.....as noted above, it is really very easy to slip across from the BVI to the USVI....

tjwgrr

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
I was in the USVI few years ago and while leaving from STT, the immigration officer specifically asked if I had visited the BVI during my stay.....as noted above, it is really very easy to slip across from the BVI to the USVI....

Yep, all the pleasure craft transiting back and forth between STT / STJ and the BVIs- very easy. Although there are procedures in place, customs between the islands is pretty loosey-goosey....

skymiler

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:05 pm

There is also the immigration aspect, as I found out. I am a LPR (Green Card) and did not have it with me when leaving during a visit a year or so ago and had to spend an hour in the "back room" before they let me through. The tourism advertises "no passport needed" but that is not really the case for non US Nationals.

Apparently CBP senses that this is an entry route for unauthorised visitors

COSPN

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Guam has the same thing .. some foreign nationals hold Guam only visas ... not sure how the new “heartland “ visa will work .. but the Guam and Saipan only visa system has been around for many years. So they need to preclear the Guam to Honolulu flight to make sure everyone is allowed in “the Big USA”

caribny

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 pm

SJU doesnt have a formal immigration check for travelers to the mainland but they do (or did) have people watching and can pull people aside for questioning.