Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gk23
Topic Author

Why do airlines do retro liveries?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:18 am

I am looking for facts/opinions on why airlines do retro liveries. My opinion is that it only excites people who are into commercial aviation (such as many people on this site), as the vast majority of the traveling public does not care about such things (I don't have any stats to prove this, but it seems like a reasonable guess based on my observations from my personal travels). So why do airlines spend so much money and take so much effort doing something that on the surface does not seem to generate them any revenue?

FabDiva

Re: Why do airlines do retro liveries?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am

It's some goodwill and acknowledges the history of the company. It's not just aviation, in the UK a couple of rail companies have Retrotrains, with some soon to be retired types being painted in their original 1970s and 80s liveries. Some bus companies have retrobus liveries too.

anshabhi

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:42 am

cheap way to get a lot of PR

oldannyboy

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am

Because current liveries are godawful! :-)

nighthawk

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 am

anshabhi wrote:

Repainting an aircraft isn't exactly cheap. Far cheaper ways of getting free PR. And just how much PR does it really generate outside of aviation circles? BA have so far painted 3 jets ina retro livery.. but if you were to stop someone on the street and ask them about it, how many do you think have actually heard about it? Have any newspapers or publications, other than those aimed at aviation, picked up on it and ran a story about it?

anshabhi

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 am

nighthawk wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Repainting an aircraft isn't exactly cheap. Far cheaper ways of getting free PR. And just how much PR does it really generate outside of aviation circles? BA have so far painted 3 jets ina retro livery.. but if you were to stop someone on the street and ask them about it, how many do you think have actually heard about it? Have any newspapers or publications, other than those aimed at aviation, picked up on it and ran a story about it?

I am talking about getting a new aircraft painted in retro livery. It comes for free with the aircraft like Vistara's retrojet

https://www.airvistara.com/trip/Introducing_VT-ATV

Even otherwise you can get aircraft as large as B777 painted for $200k
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q/13738/8482
Last edited by anshabhi on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JannEejit

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:05 am

The BA retro 757 was extremely well received by travellers as well as aviation junkies. I know this from my own travels at the time. I think people underestimate the affection these paint jobs generate amongst non AV types. You just have to look at the amount of people who turn up at the likes of Heathrow for a glimpse, whenever these aircraft arrive. In airline terms it's the equivalent of a flying billboard advertising the brand. Nostalgia also sells well and always will.

September11

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm

One way to appreciate long-time airline employees: Retro livery

seat1a

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:34 pm

If a cheap way for advertising/nostalgia, what's the cost of re-painting say a 737? Curious. Thanks!

PatrickZ80

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm

nighthawk wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

True, repainting an aircraft isn't cheap. But when it has to be done anyway, you might as well do a special job. Mostly when a retro livery is applied the plane was scheduled for repainting and instead of the regular paint scheme they apply the retro livery.

Personally I'm not a fan of retro liveries or any kind of special liveries for that matter. It makes that plane "the odd one out". To me a livery is like a uniform. The planes wearing them might be all different, but they look alike to show they belong together. Just like in the military, the scouts, schools in some countries, etc. Each person wearing the uniform is an individual, but the uniform makes them all the same. But what if one person is wearing another uniform than the rest? That just can't be.

L410Turbolet

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:10 pm

To show how dull and uninspiring the current liveries are (paging Lufthansa and Delta)?

n729pa

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:03 pm

PatrickZ 80, yes I can understand where you're coming from on this, but the there are always Airlines in transition in liveries too ie Iberia Qantas Lufthansa Air Canada KLM Alitalia just for example where there's no uniformity. I don't think a retro hurts too much if done properly, the BA and Qantas are particularly good examples I think. But some of the Alliance applications leave a bit to be desired, Star Alliance especially horrid I think.
But then with so many colour schemes a variation of someone else then fashions tend to go in cycles and 10 years time we'll see stripes and colours making a return.

B8887

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 pm

Airlines do retro liveries mostly for fun. Just as humankind has always had the reflex to decorate its surroundings (caves, walls, furniture), special markings are almost as old as aviation, just like for cars.

Today retro liveries are of course also used to celebrate the company's heritage, and therefore for commercial reasons too..

Whether most passengers care or not, that's another debate...

Regards.

B8887

AtomicGarden

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 am

To please Airliners.net users with their so beloved cheat lines! God, I hate them (but I also hate Eurowhite).

In all seriousness, I think they get cheap/free PR from the media and social networks.

hongkongflyer

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:33 am

nighthawk wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Planes need repaints, no matter you print a standard livery or a speical/ retro one, yes it may a bit more expensive but I am sure it will be bear by the marketing budgets.
Not much noise so far for BA's retro liveries to the general public because the celebration has not yet begin.

I am sure some events will be organize in the future for the 100th years celebration and at that time,
it is not that difficult to have 4 retro jets to line up and gain media coverage, at that time the messages will be send to general public.

twaconnie

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Because current liveries are godawful! :-)

You said it brother!