Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Most expensive haircut in history?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 am

Came across an interesting article in the NYT about a haircut Bill Clinton had at LAX that effectively shut down 2 runways for an hour holding numerous flights for AF1 until the haircut could be finished. This has got to be the most expensive haircut in history.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/21/us/h ... k-off.html

readytotaxi

Re: Most expensive haircut in history?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am

I think this one beats it. The Sultan of Brunei has had the same man fly over from London about once a month for more than 16yrs to cut his hair, flying First Class, of course.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ircut.html

Aptivaboy

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 pm

I was actually caught up in Bill's haircut fiasco. We were coming back from LA on the freeway when suddenly everything came to a halt. They just shut the whole danged freeway down. We sat there. And sat there. And sat there. I read later that some drivers were shunted off onto off ramps and side streets whether they wanted to be, or not. Finally, about ten minutes later a motorcade drives by coming the opposite direction on the other side of the freeway - Bill's. He was on his way to the airport to have that infamous hair cut. So, not only did they impact air travel, but they also whacked up the nearby roads for significant period of time before his motorcade drove by.

I'm not against there being safety protocols to protect presidents, for the record. They need to be there. Bill and his operation just seemed to impact far more people than other presidents. Even a local sheriff's deputy I know said that when Trump visited during the campaign it wasn't as bad as when Bill came to town, and the rioters followed Trump!

IPFreely

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 pm

The haircut fiasco never made sense to me. Where was AF1 when the haircut was occurring? It seems like the stylist could have cut Bill's hair in flight or after arrival in Washington. Or if he did not go on the flight, why not cut Bill's hair on the ground before AF1 is boarded, pushed back/stairs removed, and ready to taxi? It would have prevented runways from being closed and it would have been easier for the stylist to de-board. Knowing what we know about Bill, I suspect "Bill's getting a haircut" might have been Secret Service code for some other activity.