Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Do cabin crew judge you by your dress code?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I guess this applies around the world, do you feel that the crew make a judgement about you the moment that they see you, regardless which cabin your in because of how you are dressed? Example, in Int.First Class you wear a cheap tracksuit and the person across has a designer outfit, are they going to be treated better? They same in Y, will your clothing dictate how much "treatment" you get? In the animal world visuals are very important, does it cut across to us as much?

buzzard302

Re: Do cabin crew judge you by your dress code?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Gone are the days of flying be a formal thing. I think the cabin crew are far too busy to be worried about how you are dressed these days.

aklrno

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Sorry to break this news to you, but everybody judges you by your appearance whether they know it or not. Sometimes dressing better is a plus, sometimes a negative. I don't think dressing better is as important as your attitude on a flight. I don't go as far as a coat and tie, but I probably tend to dress up a bit more than the average whether in business class, first class, or on Southwest. It's just what I feel comfortable wearing.

What I do notice is that flight crews generally show more respect for my age (old) and I am grateful for that.

Bottom line:Show respect for others and they will show respect for you.

bagoldex

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm

I’m sure it happens. I’ve been lucky enough to experience only experience an attitude from a flight attendant on a few occasions and I think it was more due to my age at the time but any fa engaging in this type of activity should be terminated.

IPFreely

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I guess this applies around the world, do you feel that the crew make a judgement about you the moment that they see you, regardless which cabin your in because of how you are dressed?

Everyone who sees you makes a judgement about you based on the way you are dressed, both on and off airplanes. The more you deviate from conventional dress (in either direction — more formal or more slob-like), the stronger the judgement will be.

LH748

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Of course there's a difference between decent and shabby clothes but as long as the clothes are clean and you're friendly I haven't really noticed any difference and no actual judgement.
Funnily, I've seen passengers in business class in the most unbelievably shabby outfits and I guess that they're rich enough to not actually care how they look

geologyrocks

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Everyone is getting judged every single moment you’re in public.

The question is...do you care?

zrs70

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:15 am

If someone is on board with a tank top, sticking his/her armpit in my face - yes I will judge.

If someone is on board with a fur coat - yes I will judge.

If someone is on board with an offensive message on a tee shirt - yes I will judge.

If someone is on board with pants that are 5 sizes too tight - yes I will judge.

If someone is on board with his shirt unbuttoned too many buttons - yes I will judge.

If someone is on board doused in too much perfume/ cologne - yes I will judge.

And so will the crew.

Moose135

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 am

aklrno wrote:
Sorry to break this news to you, but everybody judges you by your appearance whether they know it or not.

And sometimes it is to their peril to do so. My neighbor works construction, and it's rare to see him in something other than a t-shirt and faded jeans. He was looking to buy a new pickup a few years back, and went to a dealership with a couple of friends of his, your typical "preppy" couple, khakis, and such - they were all in their mid-40s, so not kids. The salesman just about knocked him over to get to his friends, even though he was the one ready to pay cash for a new truck. He ended up going elsewhere for it.

spacecadet

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 am

Moose135 wrote:
aklrno wrote:
Sorry to break this news to you, but everybody judges you by your appearance whether they know it or not.

And sometimes it is to their peril to do so. My neighbor works construction, and it's rare to see him in something other than a t-shirt and faded jeans. He was looking to buy a new pickup a few years back, and went to a dealership with a couple of friends of his, your typical "preppy" couple, khakis, and such - they were all in their mid-40s, so not kids. The salesman just about knocked him over to get to his friends, even though he was the one ready to pay cash for a new truck. He ended up going elsewhere for it.

On the other hand, he wouldn't have had to go to multiple dealers to buy his truck if he'd just worn a decent shirt.

aklrno

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 am

I have had a nearly opposite experience when I was out riding my bike in Los Gatos California nearly 40 years ago. I had no money and looked that way. I was riding past the Ferarri dealership and stopped to look in the window. As I looked the salesman invited me in for closer look even though I was not a likely customer. About 10 year later, after 3 startups and two IPOs. I was ready to go back. Found the same salesman there and bought a car. I didn’t need to go to that dealer but I had never forgotten his kindness.

Yflyer

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 am

The one and only time I ever got a complimentary upgrade to (domestic) First, I was returning home from a week long camping trip in Alaska. That year I had just barely attained Premier status on UA, and ANC-SEA was the one flight where I wasn't competing with huge numbers of UA/CO FFs for an upgrade. I totally didn't look like someone who belonged in first class -- I was dressed for camping in old jeans, a hooded sweat shirt, and hiking boots. My carry on was a backpack like one would carry while hiking. I really have to commend the professionalism of the FAs on that flight -- as far as I could tell they treated me no differently than any of the other passengers in F on that flight, all of whom were dressed much better than I was.

jetblueguy22

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 am

It’s funny how different people treat you depending on how you’re dressed. When I go for work I’m dressed in a suit, constantly get sir’d or “Thank you Mr JetBlueguy”.

But when I’m casual for vacation they treat me like any other 26 year old. Roll their eyes and move on.

I find it humorous, because I always will spend more on a personal ticket than a company one. Partly because of the company policy, partly because if I’m on vacation I’m going to enjoy every waking minute

excc

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 am

I worked for a few years as a flight attendant in Switzerland.
For me at least, I wouldn't judge based on what passengers were wearing, although some older crew working in first class might have done.

I definitely judged based on attitude and manners:

A polite passenger with a friendly demeanor dressed in shorts and flipflops would get much better service than a very nicely dressed rude and curt passenger.

PPVLC

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:28 am

I judge the attitude of a passenger. You can see polite people travelling in comfortable tracksuits and you can see awfully rude people covered in fashion labels.

747Whale

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:18 am

I don't think anyone cares what you wear or if you have much fashion sense.

When I see people wearing shorts and flip-flops, however, I always wonder how it's going to work for them when they're picking their way through the twisted. metal, broken parts, and burning fuel in the wreck.

It's usually unwise to plan for a best-case scenario, but simple things like footware become critically important in the event you evacuate the aircraft. Things like that, I notice.

But no judgement.