DLATL
Topic Author

What are the top 10 unserved markets from ATL?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:46 am

Delta covers so many different destinations from ATL, what are some that are not served that could potentially in the future? (Hoping for PDEW demand)

ASFlyer

Re: What are the top 10 unserved markets from ATL?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 am

are there any markets not served from ATL that should have service? Delta serves any market that's viable, and a lot that wouldn't be viable without the vast connecting network. I can't imagine the list is going to be long.

jetmatt777

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:09 am

ASFlyer wrote:
are there any markets not served from ATL that should have service? Delta serves any market that's viable, and a lot that wouldn't be viable without the vast connecting network. I can't imagine the list is going to be long.

Well, per the OP the list is not going to be long or short, but only 10 cities long. I guarantee you there are 10 cities in the world that are unserved nonstop from ATL.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

yeginleduc

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:36 am

YYC, ANC, PEK, YVR come to mind.

AV8AJET

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 am

yeginleduc wrote:

ANC is served seasonally, I would like to see:

ATL-GLA/EDI/KEF/CPH
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

GSP psgr

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:04 am

The ones that stick out to me in the US/Canada: Ottawa, Halifax, the Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen population complex, Lansing, Fresno, Boise, Spokane, Billings, Toledo, and Corpus Christi.

Atlwarrior

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am

Atlanta to Redding, CA

jph7291

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 am

I think Toledo, OH and Corpus Christi, TX stand out the most to me. Good candidates for a 1-2x daily large RJ to start.
712, 732/G/8, 752, 763, 772/W, 320, M8/90, CR2/7/9, E45, E70/5, AT7, DH4/8
ACK, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLE, CVG, DAL, DAY, DTW, EWR, FLL, HOU, HSV, HNL, IAH, IND, MCO, MDW, MRS, NCE, OAK, ORD, ORY, PHL, RNS, SDF, YYZ
AA, AC, AF, CO, DL, FL, G4, UA, WN

Polot

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 pm

yeginleduc wrote:

Westjet is actually starting YYC-ATL in early March.

jplatts

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:34 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
The ones that stick out to me in the US/Canada: Ottawa, Halifax, the Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen population complex, Lansing, Fresno, Boise, Spokane, Billings, Toledo, and Corpus Christi.

BOI is too far from ATL to be able to be served by regional jets, but the A220 will allow DL to serve BOI nonstop from ATL. BOI is also located in one of the largest markets not currently served nonstop from ATL.

I agree that DL adding ATL-HRL nonstop service could happen since (a) DL already serves HRL nonstop from MSP on a seasonal basis, (b) ATL is the main hub for DL, and (c) DL would be able to connect passengers to destinations in the Southeastern U.S, Mid-Atlantic, Northeastern U.S., and the easternmost parts of the Midwest from HRL through ATL (and vice versa) if DL adds ATL-HRL nonstop service.

I also agree that DL adding ATL-LAN nonstop service could happen since (a) LAN is located in one of the largest markets in the Midwest that doesn't currently have nonstop service to ATL, (b) DL already serves ATL nonstop from some Midwestern markets that are smaller than LAN such as ATW, CID, EVV, GRB, PIA, RST, SBN, and FSD, and (c) LAN already has nonstop service to DTW and MSP on DL.

cougar15

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm

What if....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Lootess

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm

jplatts wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

BOI is too far from ATL to be able to be served by regional jets, but the A220 will allow DL to serve BOI nonstop from ATL. BOI is also located in one of the largest markets not currently served nonstop from ATL.

I agree that DL adding ATL-HRL nonstop service could happen since (a) DL already serves HRL nonstop from MSP on a seasonal basis, (b) ATL is the main hub for DL, and (c) DL would be able to connect passengers to destinations in the Southeastern U.S, Mid-Atlantic, Northeastern U.S., and the easternmost parts of the Midwest from HRL through ATL (and vice versa) if DL adds ATL-HRL nonstop service.

I also agree that DL adding ATL-LAN nonstop service could happen since (a) LAN is located in one of the largest markets in the Midwest that doesn't currently have nonstop service to ATL, (b) DL already serves ATL nonstop from some Midwestern markets that are smaller than LAN such as ATW, CID, EVV, GRB, PIA, RST, SBN, and FSD, and (c) LAN already has nonstop service to DTW and MSP on DL.

MSP-HRL was added in-retaliation of Sun Country. It's not a high priority market for Delta. BOI is a good add though.

Would like to see ATL-MAO return at some point, they couldn't serve it with a 737, still have to backtrack if taking GOL.

Ziyulu

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:29 pm

It also needs a flight to CAN.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:02 pm

jplatts wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

DL has served ATL-BOI previously, at least seasonally. I caught a ride on one of the flights that had a fuel tech stop in MCI and I was able to hop on as a non-rev.

evank516

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Two new domestic markets that are coming online this year are ATL-BUR and ATL-ONT

RamblinMan

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 pm

"Largest" in terms of what? Metro population? Or PDEW from ATL? If the latter I'd venture a guess there's not a single unserved market within 767 range with more than 10 PDEW.

trigged

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I would love a ATL-CYS flight, but that won't happen. DL has a flight from DFW-CYS though so that makes me happy.

maps4ltd

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Brasilia used to be served. They should bring that back.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

Dalmd88

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 pm

CPH and PRG are two European cities I would like to see.

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:

Along with Lisbon perhaps. Lisbon also doesn't have service to Atlanta.

BoeingGuy

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm

evank516 wrote:
Two new domestic markets that are coming online this year are ATL-BUR and ATL-ONT

Technically those aren’t new. Each has been served in the past. ATL-ONT was served for many years, even with a 767; BUR only for a short time with a 757.

FATFlyer

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:41 pm

GSP psgr wrote:

Delta showed an ATL-FAT temporarily in its schedule in 2007 but the flight was never announced and never started.

RamblinMan wrote:
"Largest" in terms of what? Metro population? Or PDEW from ATL? If the latter I'd venture a guess there's not a single unserved market within 767 range with more than 10 PDEW.

Fresno is about 27 or 28 PDEW. :D
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Without PDEWs this thread is just babble. You've got to be able to fill a plane with adequate range with decent fares.

zakuivcustom

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Brasilia used to be served. They should bring that back.

Once Brazilian economy recover from its current low, it will be back.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

Along with Lisbon perhaps. Lisbon also doesn't have service to Atlanta.

I would expect BCN, ZRH, and VIE to come before those. For that matter, add DUB to that list.

(I agree that without absolute data, it's just a bunch of babble).

CLTRampRat

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm

ATL.
When I fly from Atlanta to Atlanta I still have to change planes in Atlanta.

Oilman

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:02 pm

CLTRampRat wrote:
ATL.

I hate that. One time when I was flying Atlanta to Atlanta we got diverted to Atlanta. They wouldn’t let anyone off...

evank516

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Technically those aren’t new. Each has been served in the past. ATL-ONT was served for many years, even with a 767; BUR only for a short time with a 757.

Yes, but they were unserved for quite some time and now they will be served again.

winginit

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Below are the most served (by seats) airports that were served from both DFW and IAH but not ATL in 2018. SYD excluded. Not at all surprising that using this criteria is yielding predominantly Texas destinations.

MFE: McAllen, TX
MAF: Midland, TX
YYC: Calgary, Alberta (beginning March 6 by WS)
DXB: Dubai, UAE (previously served)
CRP: Corpus Christi, TX
AMA: Amarillo, TX
LBB: Lubbock, TX
BRO: Brownsville, TX
PEK: Beijing, China
CLL: College Station, TX

For a less Texas-centric cut, below are the top destinations served from CLT but not ATL:

LYH: Lynchburg, VA
PGV: Pitt-Greenville, NC
HHH: Hilton Head, SC (starting in May)
FLO: Florence, SC
HTS: Huntington, WV
TOL: Toledo, OH
SBY: Salisbury, MD
BKW: Raleigh, WV
POP: Puerto Plata, DR
PKB: Wood County, WV
BGR: Bangor, ME

LAXdude1023

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Last I checked, internationally they were:

BOM
YVR (I think this one may be seasonal)
SGN
DEL
PEK
TLV
HYD
HKG
YYC
CPH
BLR

However, its important to note that the only real significant ones (larger than 40 PDEW) of the above are BOM and YVR. The rest are pretty small.
Next flight: IAH-YEG-IAH on UA in Y.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

LAN leaks massively to FNT, GRR, and DTW.
With both FNT and GRR having ATL and really the only thing that ATL offers that can't flow over DTW & MSP is smaller markets in the Southeast or points south, that traffic likely goes to FNT and GRR.

That said, if AA were to start LAN-CLT, I'd imagine DL would start LAN-ATL very shortly thereafter.

mtnwest1979

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:32 pm

DFW-CYS are AA branded flights.
DL did do 2x CRP-ATL at the end of their CRP service.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

WassbiKhalifa

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 pm

DL has flown ATL-YHZ on Saturdays for a couple of summers in the 2012-2014 range. It was nice.

flyingclrs727

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:20 pm

winginit wrote:
Below are the most served (by seats) airports that were served from both DFW and IAH but not ATL in 2018. SYD excluded. Not at all surprising that using this criteria is yielding predominantly Texas destinations.

For a less Texas-centric cut, below are the top destinations served from CLT but not ATL:

CRP had Delta in the late 90's to early 2000's. Why would DL want to return? The only service that would make sense would be service to AUS if AUS becomes a DL focus city.

maps4ltd

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:25 pm

CLTRampRat wrote:
ATL.

Yes, I do believe Atlanta is a huge gap in Atlanta's network. You'd think a megahub with 5 million people would be served from Atlanta, but no.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

KLAXAirport

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
CLTRampRat wrote:
ATL.

Yes, I do believe Atlanta is a huge gap in Atlanta's network. You'd think a megahub with 5 million people would be served from Atlanta, but no.

This calls for DL to purchase a high-density Y only A380 only to serve this route. I still can't believe they don't serve this route. Simply unbelievable...

Best,
KLAXAirport :airplane:

winginit

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
CRP had Delta in the late 90's to early 2000's. Why would DL want to return? The only service that would make sense would be service to AUS if AUS becomes a DL focus city.

I'm not in any way saying that DL should serve any of these cities from ATL. Simply sharing the information for the sake of discussion.

klm617

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:52 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

BOM
SGN
DEL
PEK
TLV
HYD
HKG
YYC
CPH
BLR

However, its important to note that the only real significant ones (larger than 40 PDEW) of the above are BOM and YVR. The rest are pretty small.

Interesting how YYC is so low on the list yet it managed to land a WS flight.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm

evank516 wrote:

3 you forgot HHH
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

digitalcloud

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
For that matter, add DUB to that list.

Delta have been operating ATL-DUB for three years.

zakuivcustom

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:26 pm

digitalcloud wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
For that matter, add DUB to that list.

Delta have been operating ATL-DUB for three years.

I forgot about the seasonal flight. Scratch BCN and ZRH from my list also (Also seasonal on DL).

flyfresno

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:30 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

BOM
SGN
DEL
PEK
TLV
HYD
HKG
YYC
CPH
BLR

Even with the distance and mostly leisure traffic, I’m still a bit surprised that no one has even attempted a US-SGN nonstop route recently. I know Vietnam was thinking about it, but the yield must just not be there. Of course, the first nonstop would never be to ATL, but it’s still interesting that SGN is the #3 unserved int’l market from there.

flyfresno

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:44 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

Delta showed an ATL-FAT temporarily in its schedule in 2007 but the flight was never announced and never started.

RamblinMan wrote:

Fresno is about 27 or 28 PDEW. :D

DL seems unwilling to add capacity to FAT, but I wonder if the A220 will make ATL-FAT possible within the next decade...

stlgph

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:12 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Your statement is the one that doesn't make any sense.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

stlgph

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
winginit wrote:

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

flyingclrs727

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:08 pm

stlgph wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
winginit wrote:

If DL had a focus city at AUS and had a flight from CRP and other smaller market Texas cities to AUS, they could feed flights to ATL, JFK, SLC, LAX, and any other cities DL decides to serve from AUS. THIS way they could compete in Texas without going head to head at DFW, IAH, DAL, or HOU.

smallmj

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm

I'd like to see a seasonal YHZ-ATL come back. PHL and ORD have recently returned on AA and UA respectively. Access to Delta's network out of ATL would certainly add a lot of options for us YHZ travellers. No idea about the demand though.

sassiciai

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Without PDEWs this thread is just babble. You've got to be able to fill a plane with adequate range with decent fares.

Oh well, on a.net, we can have threads about everything. This is a typical pointless thread, with a pointless and undefined question that has an infinite range of possible but useless answers

Iran? Syria? North Korea? Hanoi and HCM City? Manila? Kirkwall? Charleroi? Islay? Channel Islands? There, that's at least 10 underserved airports from ATL (unless I am wrong on some of them!)

I think the "top" unserved must be the North Korean capital! At least in my definition of "top"! Maybe Kirkwall is the 10th!

DLATL
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

sassiciai wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Oh well, on a.net, we can have threads about everything. This is a typical pointless thread, with a pointless and undefined question that has an infinite range of possible but useless answers

Iran? Syria? North Korea? Hanoi and HCM City? Manila? Kirkwall? Charleroi? Islay? Channel Islands? There, that's at least 10 underserved airports from ATL (unless I am wrong on some of them!)

I think the "top" unserved must be the North Korean capital! At least in my definition of "top"! Maybe Kirkwall is the 10th!

if you open your eyes and read what I am asking, maybe you would understand. Not everything needs to “useless” just because you don’t care about it. I was asking for the top 10 destinations that does not have service to Atlanta with the PDEW numbers if possible. None of the answers that I have gotten have been bad ones. There is no need to be sarcastic about the question.

LovePrunesAnet

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

If DL had a focus city at AUS and had a flight from CRP and other smaller market Texas cities to AUS, they could feed flights to ATL, JFK, SLC, LAX, and any other cities DL decides to serve from AUS. THIS way they could compete in Texas without going head to head at DFW, IAH, DAL, or HOU.

There's a whole dumpster fire of a thread from last year about how Austin was destined for focus City or hub City status with Delta.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1397113

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 pm

I've just found out that Atlanta is only connected to 16 airports in Europe including seasonal flights. That's far less than I expected.

Here's a top 50 of European airports not connected to Atlanta.

1. London Gatwick
2. Moscow Sheremetyevo
3. Paris Orly
4. Copenhagen
5. Moscow Domodedovo
6. Palma de Mallorca
7. Lisbon
8. Oslo Gardermoen
9. London Stansted
10. Vienna
11. Stockholm Arlanda
12. Athens
13. Berlin Tegel
14. Moscow Vnukovo
15. Helsinki
16. Malaga
17. St. Petersburg
18. Warsaw
19. Geneva
20. Hamburg
21. Prague
22. London Luton
23. Budapest
24. Edinburgh
25. Alicante
26. Nice
27. Bucharest
28. Cologne-Bonn
29. Milan Bergamo
30. Berlin Schönefeld
31. Kyiv
32. Birmingham
33. Porto
34. Lyon
35. Catania
36. Naples
37. Reykjavik Keflavik
38. Glasgow
39. Toulouse
40. Marseille
41. Milan Linate
42. Faro
43. Bristol
44. Basel Mulhouse Freiburg
45. Bologna
46. Ibiza
47. Heraklion
48. Charleroi
49. Valencia
50. Riga

Some of these airports wouldn't make much sense or would be plain impossible, but still there are a lot that you would expect to have service to Atlanta but don't. Actually I'm surprised to see Moscow is totally unconnected to Atlanta. With both Delta and Aeroflot being in SkyTeam you'd expect their largest hubs to be connected, but nothing. Not a single flight from Atlanta to anywhere in Russia.