mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Best airline to fly to Asia

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 pm

mop357 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.

I bet you should try Emirates in Economy because their A380 are great as others said.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:06 am

mop357 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.


both IAD and JFK are gonna require a 1 stop itinerary, so really no advantage to the extra effort of JFK.
having said that, you were spoiled with JAL - I don't think anyone (save maybe SQ) provides the quality experience in Y as the Japanese carriers - and that includes the ME3.

I assume you've already seen the fares, which are very low before the holiday season peak - Air China via Beijing , and Qatar are significantly less expensive than all others. Between the two, I'd far prefer Qatar, specifically because of the better late night vs very early am departure from BKK on the return (and yes, the PRC carriers aren't exactly the best in terms of service/food, etc).

If you want to step up to the next price bucket, you should consider Korean Air. At the same price as EK, you'll get better service, and more legroom than any other carrier - EK included. You can also get their A380 on the ICN-BKK leg, if thats a big deal to you.

Everyone is flying 787/777/380 on this route, so really, things are mostly a wash.
Go with Qatar for low cost, Korean for best service and personal space.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:52 am

Never flown NH/JL, but I've flown QR from KUL to America and I must say the experience, although not mindblowingly on top of the world, is great. In fact a few of my colleagues specifically avoid EK's Economy and prefer QR/EY because the EK experience is all hype and no substance according to them.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
IADCA
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:59 am

FlyHappy wrote:
mop357 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.


Everyone is flying 787/777/380 on this route, so really, things are mostly a wash.
Go with Qatar for low cost, Korean for best service and personal space.


CX to IAD is a 350, but the point essentially still stands. OP, you have a lot of options. BKK does go on occasional fire sales from IAD (think 600 USD per person round trip), so that may be worth a consideration if you're price-sensitive.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:29 am

IADCA wrote:
CX to IAD is a 350, but the point essentially still stands. OP, you have a lot of options. BKK does go on occasional fire sales from IAD (think 600 USD per person round trip), so that may be worth a consideration if you're price-sensitive.


you're right.
for an extra couple hundred, you can have Zeke pick you up, snark and all, pack you into a tight A350, get a longer connection in HKG, and an am departure from BKK (enjoy that traffic).
just teasin' ya. Cathay is great. but their IAD service is sub-daily, too.

and no kidding about flash sales. though might not even be a sale. Air China has got the end of year plastered with that route from $601-$615. Though personally for just another $100, I'd take Qatar.

man, I envy y'all in these markets. I'd be taking long haul weekend trips at those prices.
 
dredgy
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 am

I'd recommend Korean Air. Great food, comfortable economy cabins. Seoul (either airport or city) is a great place to spend time. Will deliver a very different, but equally good service compared to JAL. Their A380 from JFK is great, but I've always enjoyed their 777s too.

Qatar, Asiana would be my backups depending on price.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 am

SQ789 wrote:
mop357 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.

I bet you should try Emirates in Economy because their A380 are great as others said.


I am really tempted to try them. They are a big more expensive than the others though.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:05 am

FlyHappy wrote:
mop357 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.


both IAD and JFK are gonna require a 1 stop itinerary, so really no advantage to the extra effort of JFK.
having said that, you were spoiled with JAL - I don't think anyone (save maybe SQ) provides the quality experience in Y as the Japanese carriers - and that includes the ME3.

I assume you've already seen the fares, which are very low before the holiday season peak - Air China via Beijing , and Qatar are significantly less expensive than all others. Between the two, I'd far prefer Qatar, specifically because of the better late night vs very early am departure from BKK on the return (and yes, the PRC carriers aren't exactly the best in terms of service/food, etc).

If you want to step up to the next price bucket, you should consider Korean Air. At the same price as EK, you'll get better service, and more legroom than any other carrier - EK included. You can also get their A380 on the ICN-BKK leg, if thats a big deal to you.

Everyone is flying 787/777/380 on this route, so really, things are mostly a wash.
Go with Qatar for low cost, Korean for best service and personal space.


Thanks for the input. The JFK thing may not be a huge deal because my mom in NYC is going to come to. My wife and daughter will go first for about 3 weeks and then at the end of their trip we will come by for a week and they will fly back with us. My mom can fly free with AA so she can come to me or I can drive to her. The A380's are one of the reason I would go to NYC. Another option is I can buddy pass to NYC.

Korea is on my radar has decent pricing. EK is more expensive than Korean. I have no problem taking JAL again but I want to try others and wouldn't mind the A380. We just took an A380 to SYD and we loved it.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:08 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Never flown NH/JL, but I've flown QR from KUL to America and I must say the experience, although not mindblowingly on top of the world, is great. In fact a few of my colleagues specifically avoid EK's Economy and prefer QR/EY because the EK experience is all hype and no substance according to them.


Oh wow. Thanks for the input. I am always curious about the middle eastern airlines because I never took any. QR/EY are the cheapest too. Any one of them you recommend over the other? I am surprised to hear about EK.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:10 am

IADCA wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
mop357 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My wife and infant daughter are taking anothet trip to Thailand at the end of the year. Last year live live in Phoenix and took JAL from LAX. It was a great experience. This year we moved into the Washington DC area. We ca. Fly from IAD or go to JFK and fly from there. We are using the big hubs to cut down on the connections.

Which is the best airline to fly to BKK? Now that we are on the east coast we also have the middle eastern airlines such as Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates vs Korean, Asianana, JAL, ANA, EVA, and Cathay. We will be flying economy.


Everyone is flying 787/777/380 on this route, so really, things are mostly a wash.
Go with Qatar for low cost, Korean for best service and personal space.


CX to IAD is a 350, but the point essentially still stands. OP, you have a lot of options. BKK does go on occasional fire sales from IAD (think 600 USD per person round trip), so that may be worth a consideration if you're price-sensitive.


Thanks I had no idea BKK had sales for IAD. Our trip is in October so I will be looking out. I would not mind trying CX and the A350.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:14 am

FlyHappy wrote:
IADCA wrote:
CX to IAD is a 350, but the point essentially still stands. OP, you have a lot of options. BKK does go on occasional fire sales from IAD (think 600 USD per person round trip), so that may be worth a consideration if you're price-sensitive.


you're right.
for an extra couple hundred, you can have Zeke pick you up, snark and all, pack you into a tight A350, get a longer connection in HKG, and an am departure from BKK (enjoy that traffic).
just teasin' ya. Cathay is great. but their IAD service is sub-daily, too.

and no kidding about flash sales. though might not even be a sale. Air China has got the end of year plastered with that route from $601-$615. Though personally for just another $100, I'd take Qatar.

man, I envy y'all in these markets. I'd be taking long haul weekend trips at those prices.


Thanks. What is Zeke? I don't exactly live close to IAD. Its about 50 miles. I am very close to BWI, but with a 10 month old, we would rather do the straight shot to Asia and then connect to our destination. I know CX is shaky here but I have JFK to fall back on. I don't mind the 3 hour drive since all my family and friends are there.I don't think I would touch Air China to be honest. I know they are based in Taiwan but CX and Eva are the only Chinese airlines I would use.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:16 am

dredgy wrote:
I'd recommend Korean Air. Great food, comfortable economy cabins. Seoul (either airport or city) is a great place to spend time. Will deliver a very different, but equally good service compared to JAL. Their A380 from JFK is great, but I've always enjoyed their 777s too.

Qatar, Asiana would be my backups depending on price.


Thank you. I have taken Korea once from from NRT to ICN. It was cool but short. I am tempted to fly out of JFK one way and come back through IAD. I would love to try their A380. I do not know much about Asiana. They are a big mystery to me. What is the difference between JAL and Korean service?
 
dredgy
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 am

mop357 wrote:
dredgy wrote:
I'd recommend Korean Air. Great food, comfortable economy cabins. Seoul (either airport or city) is a great place to spend time. Will deliver a very different, but equally good service compared to JAL. Their A380 from JFK is great, but I've always enjoyed their 777s too.

Qatar, Asiana would be my backups depending on price.


Thank you. I have taken Korea once from from NRT to ICN. It was cool but short. I am tempted to fly out of JFK one way and come back through IAD. I would love to try their A380. I do not know much about Asiana. They are a big mystery to me. What is the difference between JAL and Korean service?


The main reason I like Korean is intangible - everything is blue and I find that calming (not that I'm ever a stressful flyer). In more tangible benefits, Korean Air's economy meal (especially the bimimbap) beats alot of airlines' business class offerings. The service is also very different from JAL - perhaps less friendly, but I find it more efficient. I don't know if Korean still has the duty free store on their A380 but that was a bit of an odd novelty.

JAL has a better seat layout (and better seats on paper, but I've never liked the new ones that much) and Korean's IFE in English is above adequate but nothing amazing. That said, I consistently rate Korean as the best economy class I've flown in.

Asiana I've had a lot less experience with, but they've always been comfortable and efficient.

Qatar is fine for long haul economy, and you get their best product going into Bangkok IIRC (also A380). I've had too many sh!tty short haul flights with Qatar to wholeheartedly recommend them, but they're a good option.
 
User avatar
Coal
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:14 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:58 am

I've flown both EK and QR SIN-DXB/DOH-FLL/MIA. EK when my child was about 1.5yo and QR when my child was about 2.5yo. I felt the experience on QR was way better. They had a lot of open seats on both legs (going there and back) so my child could sleep. I also found the flight attendants on QR (mostly Asian) were so much nicer to my child than the flight attendants from EK (mostly Eastern Europeans).
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-MNL-SIN | SQ SIN-BKK-SIN | DL SIN-NRT-SIN | LH SIN-MUC-SIN
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 am

mop357 wrote:
Thanks. What is Zeke?


Zeke's a fellow Airliners member, a pilot for CX.

mop357 wrote:
Oh wow. Thanks for the input. I am always curious about the middle eastern airlines because I never took any. QR/EY are the cheapest too. Any one of them you recommend over the other? I am surprised to hear about EK.


I prefer QR.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3440
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 am

mop357 wrote:
I don't think I would touch Air China to be honest. I know they are based in Taiwan but CX and Eva are the only Chinese airlines I would use.


No, that's China Airlines you're confused with. China Airlines is based in Taiwan, Air China is based in Beijing.
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 am

Try:
LAX-SIN-BKK (SQ)
LAX-NRT-BKK(NH/TG)
LAX-HKG-BKK(HX/CX)
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

mop357 wrote:

Thanks. What is Zeke? I don't exactly live close to IAD. Its about 50 miles. I am very close to BWI, but with a 10 month old, we would rather do the straight shot to Asia and then connect to our destination. I know CX is shaky here but I have JFK to fall back on. I don't mind the 3 hour drive since all my family and friends are there.I don't think I would touch Air China to be honest. I know they are based in Taiwan but CX and Eva are the only Chinese airlines I would use.


You've shared a few important pieces of info - to me, the most important being that your wife with travel alone on the outbound with a 10 month old.
I've done long haul with infants and toddlers, and it aint easy when you're alone. Easier before they can walk, but still.

Assuming you're not buying a seat for your infant (or are you?), you really should do your wife the favor of guaranteeing her the max possible seat space, and most helpful F/A's (and possibly bassinet position). To me, that's Korean. 9ab on 777 with 34" pitch . with a lap child, this is about the best that can be guaranteed in Y, and that includes the EK A380's with their lesser seat pitch. Certainly, the F/A service in Y on EK won't remotely compare to Korean's F/A's if your wife remotely looks like she could use a hand.

EK Y is all legacy reputation these days, or even halo effect from their premium classes. Nothing special there, and really not in the same class as the non-PRC Asian carriers.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm

dredgy wrote:
mop357 wrote:
dredgy wrote:
I'd recommend Korean Air. Great food, comfortable economy cabins. Seoul (either airport or city) is a great place to spend time. Will deliver a very different, but equally good service compared to JAL. Their A380 from JFK is great, but I've always enjoyed their 777s too.

Qatar, Asiana would be my backups depending on price.


Thank you. I have taken Korea once from from NRT to ICN. It was cool but short. I am tempted to fly out of JFK one way and come back through IAD. I would love to try their A380. I do not know much about Asiana. They are a big mystery to me. What is the difference between JAL and Korean service?


The main reason I like Korean is intangible - everything is blue and I find that calming (not that I'm ever a stressful flyer). In more tangible benefits, Korean Air's economy meal (especially the bimimbap) beats alot of airlines' business class offerings. The service is also very different from JAL - perhaps less friendly, but I find it more efficient. I don't know if Korean still has the duty free store on their A380 but that was a bit of an odd novelty.

JAL has a better seat layout (and better seats on paper, but I've never liked the new ones that much) and Korean's IFE in English is above adequate but nothing amazing. That said, I consistently rate Korean as the best economy class I've flown in.

Asiana I've had a lot less experience with, but they've always been comfortable and efficient.

Qatar is fine for long haul economy, and you get their best product going into Bangkok IIRC (also A380). I've had too many sh!tty short haul flights with Qatar to wholeheartedly recommend them, but they're a good option.


Thanks. I would love to do korean if not then no problem with JAL. I would go to JFK for there A380. I’m a sucker for good food. The only issue with korean is I don’t think you can choose your seat.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Coal wrote:
I've flown both EK and QR SIN-DXB/DOH-FLL/MIA. EK when my child was about 1.5yo and QR when my child was about 2.5yo. I felt the experience on QR was way better. They had a lot of open seats on both legs (going there and back) so my child could sleep. I also found the flight attendants on QR (mostly Asian) were so much nicer to my child than the flight attendants from EK (mostly Eastern Europeans).


Thanks. I will take EK off my list for the cheaper Price of Qatar. Everyone is saying EK is all reputation.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
mop357 wrote:
Thanks. What is Zeke?


Zeke's a fellow Airliners member, a pilot for CX.

mop357 wrote:
Oh wow. Thanks for the input. I am always curious about the middle eastern airlines because I never took any. QR/EY are the cheapest too. Any one of them you recommend over the other? I am surprised to hear about EK.


I prefer QR.


Thanks. Can you choose your seat?
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
mop357 wrote:
I don't think I would touch Air China to be honest. I know they are based in Taiwan but CX and Eva are the only Chinese airlines I would use.


No, that's China Airlines you're confused with. China Airlines is based in Taiwan, Air China is based in Beijing.


Yes, thank you for clearing that up. Anything based in mainland China I will run from. No offense to China but I do not trust any of the mainland regulation when it comes to food, building, or anything due to the corruption. I figure the airlines wouldn’t be any different. How does the China airline based in Taiwan compare to Eva?
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:29 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Try:
LAX-SIN-BKK (SQ)
LAX-NRT-BKK(NH/TG)
LAX-HKG-BKK(HX/CX)


Flying to LAX won’t be an option anymore while living on tbt east coast.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
mop357 wrote:

Thanks. What is Zeke? I don't exactly live close to IAD. Its about 50 miles. I am very close to BWI, but with a 10 month old, we would rather do the straight shot to Asia and then connect to our destination. I know CX is shaky here but I have JFK to fall back on. I don't mind the 3 hour drive since all my family and friends are there.I don't think I would touch Air China to be honest. I know they are based in Taiwan but CX and Eva are the only Chinese airlines I would use.


You've shared a few important pieces of info - to me, the most important being that your wife with travel alone on the outbound with a 10 month old.
I've done long haul with infants and toddlers, and it aint easy when you're alone. Easier before they can walk, but still.

Assuming you're not buying a seat for your infant (or are you?), you really should do your wife the favor of guaranteeing her the max possible seat space, and most helpful F/A's (and possibly bassinet position). To me, that's Korean. 9ab on 777 with 34" pitch . with a lap child, this is about the best that can be guaranteed in Y, and that includes the EK A380's with their lesser seat pitch. Certainly, the F/A service in Y on EK won't remotely compare to Korean's F/A's if your wife remotely looks like she could use a hand.

EK Y is all legacy reputation these days, or even halo effect from their premium classes. Nothing special there, and really not in the same class as the non-PRC Asian carriers.


Thank you. I have shared a bit of wrong information with you. My daughter is 10 months now. She will be 18 months at the time of travel. Her bassinet days are over. She is a y’all 10 months. We flew the Qantas A380 in December and she could hardly fit. I will be buying her a ticket.
We flew to Thailand last July on JAL while she was 4 months. Most of the flight attendance were Thai (as my wife) and they were excellent with us and attentive. Also going to Australia has great flight attendance as well. One came up to us and said in a mom too let me know if you need anything. Korea, Qatar, and JAL are at the top of my list.
 
LH658
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 pm

Cathay lately is a hit or miss, I would recommend QR, EK, ANA, or JAL. JAL and ANA 777 have generous legroom plus seating is 2-4-3. Though Emirates, and QR are also pretty consistent.

Wouldn't pick Asiana or Cathay, and Etihad definitely NO!
 
LH658
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:25 pm

ANA, SQ, EK, QR, JAL, Eva or KE any of those carriers will be lovely. SIN is the ultimate airport, ICN, DXB, and DOH are nice.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2129
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:58 pm

mop357 wrote:
Yes, thank you for clearing that up. Anything based in mainland China I will run from. No offense to China but I do not trust any of the mainland regulation when it comes to food, building, or anything due to the corruption. I figure the airlines wouldn’t be any different. How does the China airline based in Taiwan compare to Eva?


The food won't kill you on PRC carriers :). That doesn't mean that it taste great, though. Services on PRC carrier is not quite up to par compare to other carriers in the region, either.

As for CI (China Airlines), they're not bad but IMHO EVA is better. CI (and Asiana) for me are both in "not bad but also nothing special" category.

If you're flying out of IAD it's pretty much either NH or KE. CX is good, but IMHO not worth the premium that they're charging (But if the price is right, why not). For ME3, like other said, QR is the way to go.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 pm

In Economy there is no way I'd be preferencing the ME3 over the east Asian airlines. You've been spoilt with JAL, but NH would be the other good option.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3440
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm

For quality, I'd say fly either a European or East Asian airline. For a low price, try the Middle East.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm

mop357 wrote:
Thanks. Can you choose your seat?


Yep, you can.

LH658 wrote:
ANA, SQ, EK, QR, JAL, Eva or KE any of those carriers will be lovely. SIN is the ultimate airport, ICN, DXB, and DOH are nice.


SQ involves a backtrack from SIN, and also unless he wants to fly the non-stop which is costly, it will involve two stops (FRA & SIN for JFK-SIN flights).
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
AirAfreak
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 pm

On departure from Washington/Dulles, I strongly recommend Korean Air in terms of overall passenger service experience.

If your travel plans include New York/JFK, Korean Air fares better than Asiana Airlines in terms of inflight catering and seat comfort.

Additionally, Incheon Airport is an excellent transit airport ~ the piano player, a string quartet, duty-free Cigarettes at ~USD25 per carton, complimentary city tours to Seoul, access to shower suites, and more. My opinions are based on recent and prior experiences at the Main Terminal, Satellite Concourse, and (the newest) Terminal 2. I have experienced Incheon Airport (both) as a transit and O/D passenger; truly a passenger and family friendly facility.

Helpful Tip: I suggest a look into the Air France Premium Economy fares ex-IAD or JFK to BKK via CDG. I have earned more miles and gained seat comfort at little cost using this option on previous departures from my home airport (LAX) to Thailand via CDG! The Premium Economy fares through Paris were only USD175~USD220 more compared to the Transpacific Economy fares; comfort wins over travel time, personally.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.
 
mop357
Topic Author
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 am

LH658 wrote:
ANA, SQ, EK, QR, JAL, Eva or KE any of those carriers will be lovely. SIN is the ultimate airport, ICN, DXB, and DOH are nice.


Thanks. I am just curious whats wrong with Cathay, Asiana and ET?
 
LH658
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:34 am

mop357 wrote:
LH658 wrote:
ANA, SQ, EK, QR, JAL, Eva or KE any of those carriers will be lovely. SIN is the ultimate airport, ICN, DXB, and DOH are nice.


Thanks. I am just curious whats wrong with Cathay, Asiana and ET?


I know Cathay had some cuts in service, so it can be hit, and miss here there. I had friends who had okay experience in HKG, then before it was always excellent.

Though SQ, EK, QR, and KE all are great airlines, with great airport, and nice cities for a day lay over.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 5992
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Best airline to fly to Asia

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am

I'd go for Korean Air. Generous (by today's standards) seat pitch and excellent trasfer airport. As others said, EK is an overrated, polished turd.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tnotten and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos