8herveg
Topic Author

Have BA now refitted all of their B777’s?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 am

I’m flying LHR-BKK next Monday in Y, so I wondered if BA have now refitted all of their B777’s to match the A380/B787?

If so, do they all have the same entertainment across the fleet?

Have BA now finished refitting the LGW ones too? Weren’t they doing that to 25 of their B772’s and if so, do we know if any of them are going to be moved over to LGW yet or are there some operating from LHR at the moment?

Thanks

shamrock321

Re: Have BA now refitted all of their B777’s?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:42 am

Unfortunately not, BKK will be operated by a non refurbished 3 Class 777 with a very old entertainment system. G-YMMA/B/E/T/B/U/F at least are still in this situation, my advice is to make sure you have a fully charged iPad stocked up with plenty to keep you entertained!

KICT

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:46 am

Did they retrofit the small 777A fleet, i.e. G-ZZZA thru C?

shamrock321

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:01 am

Yes these 3 have an upgraded interior and Thales entertinament.

CARST

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:26 am

It's BA. The word retrofit hasn't been used in London for a decade or so. Their 777 all look tired and clapped out. Old cabins. Old WT cabin (Y). Old WTP cabin (W). Old Club cabin (J). Not a pleasure flying these old birds compared to airlines who invest in their fleet...

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 am

Oh no! What a shame. Surprised they use the old aircraft on a longer flight too. Surely it would make more sense to use those aircraft on shorter sectors to the likes of Cairo, Tel Aviv, Dubai, Boston etc.

shamrock321

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 am

BKK is a low yielding route that is always busy, so they are unfortunately able to get away with it!
As for not investing in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus, I think this is a little unfair, the hard product in the newer cabins is as good as any other airline, appreciate Club and First may not be.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:35 am

shamrock321 wrote:
BKK is a low yielding route that is always busy, so they are unfortunately able to get away with it!
As for not investing in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus, I think this is a little unfair, the hard product in the newer cabins is as good as any other airline, appreciate Club and First may not be.

Thanks. Would BKK be a better route served from LGW? Or is there a lot of transfer traffic?

Re. the hard product in WT and WTP, I think we're referring to the old product being bad, not the new one.

Thanks

BA777FO

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm

CARST wrote:
It's BA. The word retrofit hasn't been used in London for a decade or so. Their 777 all look tired and clapped out. Old cabins. Old WT cabin (Y). Old WTP cabin (W). Old Club cabin (J). Not a pleasure flying these old birds compared to airlines who invest in their fleet...

:roll: over half of the 56 777 fleet has already been refurbed with the new WT and WT+ seats. All of the GE powered 777s at Heathrow have been completed, all of the 3-class GE 777s at LGW and 1 od the 4 class LGW 777s have been completed, the 2nd is being done at the moment. When the LGW GEs are done, it'll be the turn of the RR powered 777s. They're a touch busy covering work the 787 without engines can't do at the moment though.

When was the last time you stepped onboard a BA 777?

BA777FO

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm

8herveg wrote:
Surely it would make more sense to use those aircraft on shorter sectors to the likes of Cairo, Tel Aviv, Dubai, Boston etc.

These are the RR powered 777s - they're the only 777-200s with crew bunks (as well as the 77Ws) and they're actually newer than the unbunked GE powered 777s. So it makes sense to use them on the longer routes as the GE aircraft are restricted to ~9 hours due no bunks. The RR 777-200s happily do EZE with a full load and tonnes of cargo. They just need a refurb and new IFE which will happen as soon as the LGW 777s have finished being re-done.

CARST

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:21 pm

BA777FO wrote:
CARST wrote:

:roll: over half of the 56 777 fleet has already been refurbed with the new WT and WT+ seats. All of the GE powered 777s at Heathrow have been completed, all of the 3-class GE 777s at LGW and 1 od the 4 class LGW 777s have been completed, the 2nd is being done at the moment. When the LGW GEs are done, it'll be the turn of the RR powered 777s. They're a touch busy covering work the 787 without engines can't do at the moment though.

About two weeks ago, flying EWR-LHR (Club). And a week before that flying LHR-BOM (WTP).

BA777FO

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 pm

CARST wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
CARST wrote:

About two weeks ago, flying EWR-LHR (Club). And a week before that flying LHR-BOM (WTP).

EWR in Club isn't experiencing the new WT+ or WT seats. A new Club seat is on its way this year.

Until the next few days the 139 is on the 777-300ER with the new WT and WT+ seats and IFE. If you were on the 139 then that's a RR 777 and will be refurbed in the next couple of years. There are 20 of them to do and they're all needed to cover for 787 engine issues. It's not an easy quick fix.

CARST

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:49 am

BA777FO wrote:
CARST wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

EWR in Club isn't experiencing the new WT+ or WT seats. A new Club seat is on its way this year.

Until the next few days the 139 is on the 777-300ER with the new WT and WT+ seats and IFE. If you were on the 139 then that's a RR 777 and will be refurbed in the next couple of years. There are 20 of them to do and they're all needed to cover for 787 engine issues. It's not an easy quick fix.

That's good news at least. In the last years I only had unrefurbed 77Es. Perhaps it was bad luck. But I found them horrible. Especially in the back of the plane. Up front okay, but very run down, too.

Can't wait for a new J/Club seat. I hope it will be direct aisle access for everyone (finally!). And no more looking strangers in the faces once the divider is down.

BA777FO

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 am

CARST wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
CARST wrote:

That's good news at least. In the last years I only had unrefurbed 77Es. Perhaps it was bad luck. But I found them horrible. Especially in the back of the plane. Up front okay, but very run down, too.

Can't wait for a new J/Club seat. I hope it will be direct aisle access for everyone (finally!). And no more looking strangers in the faces once the divider is down.

The RR 777s definitely need the refurb - most of the mid-J 747s have been done so this leaves them as the last longhaul aircraft to be done. The LGW should be complete by the end of the year then the LHR RR 777s will go for it, I'm guessing it'll be 2021 or 2022 by the time they're all finished though.

Only a few months until the A350 is delivered with the new Club seat. We've been promised good things, especially all-aisle access so hopefully it'll be a big success!

CARST

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 pm

BA777FO wrote:
CARST wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

The RR 777s definitely need the refurb - most of the mid-J 747s have been done so this leaves them as the last longhaul aircraft to be done. The LGW should be complete by the end of the year then the LHR RR 777s will go for it, I'm guessing it'll be 2021 or 2022 by the time they're all finished though.

Only a few months until the A350 is delivered with the new Club seat. We've been promised good things, especially all-aisle access so hopefully it'll be a big success!

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Nice to see some progress at BA. (Finally!)

Do you know if the refurb on the 77Es and 747s only means new upholstering, repairs, new carpets, etc. or do they also get the new WTP seats? (Because I really like the new WTP seats on the 77W and 787, but the old product is rather "meh".)