IAHWorldflyer

Re: How to work the EU ULCC's

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm

TWA, I'm late to the party here, but I just got back to Houston from a trip to deep South America that included Buenos Aires. Argentina's currency fell dramatically last Fall, and prices there now are very reasonable. A 500g steak in a nice parilla won't set you back more than US$12. AirBNB has lots of options for a place of your own for less than US$45 a night. BsAs has some crazy good nightlife. Norwegian is now flying the domestic market with cheap fares. It's summer there now, so quite warm, and BsAs is humid, so feels like Houston in July. Don't let travelling alone bother you. Lots of other tourists there now as it's high season, I'm much older than you, but often found people who wanted to share a table for lunch or go out with. If you're less than 30, you'll meet lots of fellow travelers. You could budget about $25/day for food, $10/day for drinks, and $40/day for lodging and be very comfortable.

bluefrog

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:54 pm

. A 500g steak in a nice parilla won't set you back more than US$12
.what a 500g steak for at least 2 people right ?in europe 250g is already very very big thats if you can find one !!lol

FlyRow

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Since when is Argentina in Europe? Yes you can fly Norwegian Argentina there, but would hardly call that a EU-airline. Secondly, TWA stated he wanted to visit friends in Europe, hard to do that in Argentina.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 pm

FlyRow wrote:
Since when is Argentina in Europe? Yes you can fly Norwegian Argentina there, but would hardly call that a EU-airline. Secondly, TWA stated he wanted to visit friends in Europe, hard to do that in Argentina.

In his original post he said his plans were to visit EZE, but his friends had backed out. I assumed he possibly still had a ticket there, or at the least some reservations.

Yes, a 500gr steak is enough for 2 people, but that's what's on offer in many of the steakhouses there. Occationally, you can find 300gr "half cuts".

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:34 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I have a week of vacation in February so I'm thinking of heading to Europe on my own. I'd love to fly in to a major European gateway, preferably one that has good Ryanair (or any other ULCC) service, and pretty much overnight in a hostel in a different country every night after about 5ish days of galavanting.

So my question is this, is there a way to work the EU ULCC systems? Can you even by tickets at the airport with them? I'd mostly be staying in a hostel, seeing a major attraction, trying some local ethnic meal/beer and going to a couple bars in each city as well as meaning to up the number of countries I've been to, so I'd like to get as many passport stamps as possible

TWA772LR wrote:
Update: A combo Berlin/MUC trip is the font runner. Hostels, confirmed Easyjet, and myID on LH nonstop MUC-DEN is doable at just under $300, cheaper of I choose to take UA but I'm treating myself.
The weird part is the LH flight on Feb 22 doesn't show on their website or Google Flights, but does on myID. Can anyone chicken ( :lol: ) that it's still on for that date?

This thread has been an absolute hoot.
80% of the replies contain some reasonably good information, and the other 20% are just so funny.
And TBH you're not helping matters either, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

I'm not sure what exactly you have covered in your $300 above, but it is now sounding like a two-city break, with the following flights;
DEN-MUC; MUC-TXL, TXL-MUC, MUC-DEN
Plus some hostel accommodation for an unspecified number of nights, possibly 3 nts in Munich, plus 3 nights in Berlin?

What worries me is that this represents a major change compared to your OP.
But maybe that is a good thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_It%27s ... Be_Belgium

I have just looked at LH's website, and I can see LH481 DEN-MUC 16:20 - 09:50 on Feb 22nd (A359)
And if you want to come home 7 days later, on LH480, the total cost (for an ordinary mensch such as myself) would be... $1756.98 :o
Seats are still available on both flights, and I understand you can work some magic to cut that cost down to size.
Is that the confirmation you were looking for?

There is another aspect that I believe nobody has mentioned; I have found many airlines web-sites are designed to extract the most $ out of you, depending on your IP address. (and possibly what cookies are hidden on your hard drive). Hence three different people on this forum might each look up the same destination on Expedia, and arrive at three different prices for three different airlines (I'm not talking about currency conversion here). My own computer seems to think I want to fly everywhere on KLM, regardless of price :hissyfit:

Whilst I would agree that booking months ahead is typically the best option for cheap fares, if you can be flexible, and don't actually care if you spend tomorrow night in Paris or Pisa, cheap flights are often still available at short notice i.e. 24-48 hrs.
e.g. as I write this, Ryanair will take you from Frankfurt FRA to Dublin DUB just two days from now, and back again 48 hrs later, for the combined sum of €35.98 :hyper:
The cheaper flights are most probably either very early in the morning, or late into a cold dark wintery evening.
On the plus side, I've even reserved a window seat for you each way (27F, behind the wing), but I didn't go totally mad and add any luggage allowance; as that could have easily doubled the price. :banghead:

I would echo the warning from several others; be prepared for an unpleasantly cold climate in February at these northern latitudes.
This might be the answer as to why even flights at short notice are cheap.

If you want to be able to stroll around comfortably in February, you should be considering southern Europe; e.g. Barcelona, Italy, or possibly Greece.

I would also be wary of looking to save a handful of $$ on ULCC flights, whilst quietly spending $$$$ on accommodation, meals and transport. And beer!

At the end of the day, I have no idea what your real priorities are. It's even possible you're not entirely sure yourself. :lol:

Bon voyage!
Nothing to see here; move along please.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 am

Thanks for all the info everyone! I have to say this has been the most informative thread in which I've asked for information lol.

The plan is set. Im flying DEN-EWR-TXL. Doing 2 days in Berlin in a hostel then flying Easyjet TXL-MUC. 2 days in Munich. Then MUC-USA on UA to save money (not sure what city I'm flying in to but IAD is the front runner so I can take WN to DEN, EWR is 2nd). I've made hostel and Easyjet reservations and everything is at $112, which leaves me plenty to play with! I already know what I want to see/do in Berlin, and Munich I want to see Dachau (I had Polish resistance ancestors there in the war); and I dont know what else there is in Munich besides Olympic park so my ultimate back up is to eat pretzel, schnitzel, and bratwurst and drink beer!

Last question, is there a model plane shop in MUC? Thank y'all so much again!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

VSMUT

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:43 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Last question, is there a model plane shop in MUC? Thank y'all so much again!

https://www.munich-airport.com/airport-souvenirs-502951

Looks like it's outside the secure zone though.

FlyHappy

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 am

bluefrog wrote:
. A 500g steak in a nice parilla won't set you back more than US$12
.what a 500g steak for at least 2 people right ?in europe 250g is already very very big thats if you can find one !!lol

haha! a 500g steak in Argentina, as in Texas, is rather small-ish... suitable for a lady, or those on a strict diet ;)

what does this have to do with travelling ULCC's Europe? Not a damn thing, though I recall having a very decent steak in a Brazilian joint in Amsterdam once.

CARST

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Hi everyone!

My friends and I were planning a trip to Buenos Aires and it looks like it's falling through. I have a week of vacation in February so I'm thinking of heading to Europe on my own. I'd love to fly in to a major European gateway, preferably one that has good Ryanair (or any other ULCC) service, and pretty much overnight in a hostel in a different country every night after about 5ish days of galavanting.

So my question is this, is there a way to work the EU ULCC systems? Can you even by tickets at the airport with them? I'd mostly be staying in a hostel, seeing a major attraction, trying some local ethnic meal/beer and going to a couple bars in each city as well as meaning to up the number of countries I've been to, so I'd like to get as many passport stamps as possible (does the Schengen area stamp passports on intra-Schengen flights or do I have to hop in and out of the zone every flight to get stamps?).

Flying to Europe from Denver isn't the problem, I work for a major US airline and my parents work for another so I'm just gonna nonrev that part. I'd prefer to have a guaranteed ticket while in Europe.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Two things which might be important for you:

1) The airline tickets in Europe are NOT cheap if bought last minute and also not every route has cheap tickets at all. Buy your tickets online and at least a week, better four to eight weeks in advance. Being spontaneous can have its price.

Two examples:
1A) On the Berlin (Germany) - Palma de Mallorca (Spain), THE most flown holiday route from Germany, there is a huge fight between the LCCs for the passengers since AirBerlin went bankrupt and the hourly AB Mallorca shuttle ended and the LCCs often sell tickets for 4 to 10 Euro return. (I just flew the route return for 6 Euro, just to have an early dinner on Mallorca, then returned home with the late evening flight.) Ridiciously cheap! But if you buy a walk-up fare with Ryanair (on the day of departure, or the day before departure), you pay round 280 Euro.
1B) On routes where the LCCs have a monopoly and there is no second or third airline competing with them, they charge very high prices, too. Or let's say, they charge "normal" prices there, which actually make them money. A good example is Berlin (Germany) - Dublin (Ireland). The route is only offered by AerLingus and Ryanair. It's rare for both airlines to charge less than 180 Euro for a roundtrip. It happens, but like I said, it's rare. Often even both carriers charge you over 200 Euro return. A nice duopoly, where no airline has any incentitive to lower the prices. The planes are full anyway and there are no other modes of transport (like long range busses or trains).

2) If you want stamps, you need to fly in and out of the Schengen Area for every trip. But even then getting stamps will be difficult. You could plan your trip this way (example): Spain (Schengen) - UK ( Non-Schengen) - France (Schengen) - Ireland (Non-Schengen) - Italy (Schengen) - Croatia (Non-Schengen) - ............
But like I said, even that it will get difficult, because usually most EU customs agencies now just check your Passport on arrival, pull it through their e-reader and then let you go, perhaps after asking you one or two questions if you have a non-EU passport. Stamps? Do not happen. Perhaps you can ask for them, but even then, no guarantee.

Source: Wikipedia, everything blue is "Schengen"

If you love stamps, go to Asia, they are crazy about stamps there, in every country, even the First World countries like Japan.

My suggestions to you...
i) book online, at least two weeks in advance. But do some work in preparation. Check which routes (between city pairs) are cheap, and which ones are not. Then you will have a good indication what routes you might take. (use a search engine like kayak.com)
ii) consider high speed rail and regional rail services (but also here, booking earlier is way cheaper, search engine for trains in europe: https://www.raileurope.com/ )
iii) consider long range bus services, super cheap, often even last minute (just google for it or use a bus-search-engine like this one: https://www.comparabus.com/en/ )

OlafW

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

Since the OP has found his route, maybe it is of less concern now, but maybe helpful to others thinking of a similar trip:
If you are going for stamps, try the Balkan area. As you can see in the picture above, there's a bunch of non-EU countries there which will get you a stamp on every border crossing. Just, distances are usually too short to use flights there. Buses and the one or other train are more of the way to go there. Or get connections through LCCs hubs, but that requires some more planning and on-time flights.

dstc47

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Thanks for all the info everyone! I have to say this has been the most informative thread in which I've asked for information lol.

I dont know what else there is in Munich besides Olympic park so my ultimate back up is to eat pretzel, schnitzel, and bratwurst and drink beer!

Lots to see, including a fine collection of air transport and technology related items in the Museum.
Might be nice and warm indoors there also.