Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

musman9853

Re: Doug and AA

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm

global2 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Hahaha you value entertainment and internet? Then do you mind explaining to me the logic behind Dougie nixing PTVs as an amenity on the new MAX 8s? That's really conducive to being entertained isnt' it? Do you mind explaining the logic behind Project Oasis and the removal of current PTVs? Again, you value entertainment, but only without your own PTV?

The S80s all have internet AFAIK.

Yes power outlets are a thing. Of course, Dougie ripped those out of the LCC fleet too, until he realized everyone else was installing them. I wonder if he's flown DL lately? Amazing how the most profitable airline of the US3 continues to install PTVs in their aircraft, even in the A220.

having flown in a nb without the ptv, the fact that I can access all the entertainment on my oled 1440p phone w/ a pixel density of 600ppi and a 6 inch diagonal as opposed to a 480p lcd thats smaller, further away from me than my phone, and far worse quality makes me not care at all about there not being ptvs. Doug is right when he says anything they install is gonna be obsolete in a few years. i've flown delta nbs w/ ptvs, and those screens are far worse than what i carry in my pocket.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't watch movies on my phone, and I don't want the hassle of having to unpack and set up my laptop + wires/plugs to have to do so. With the PTV, I can be entertained and eat my BOB meal at the same time. If the other major carriers have found a way to make lots of money and still provide PTV's, why can't AA as well?

well, i'm gonna guess you're older considering you dont watch stuff on your phone. and that's perfectly fine, but the replacement cycle on phones is just so much faster than ptvs that it doesnt make sense to install something really expensive that will be outdated in 6 months.

winginit

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 pm

Five-Year Stock Charts below just to contextualize the "look at the stock!" line of thinking:

AAL has been been a notably worse investment when compared to DAL and UAL.

global2

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:08 am

musman9853 wrote:
global2 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

having flown in a nb without the ptv, the fact that I can access all the entertainment on my oled 1440p phone w/ a pixel density of 600ppi and a 6 inch diagonal as opposed to a 480p lcd thats smaller, further away from me than my phone, and far worse quality makes me not care at all about there not being ptvs. Doug is right when he says anything they install is gonna be obsolete in a few years. i've flown delta nbs w/ ptvs, and those screens are far worse than what i carry in my pocket.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't watch movies on my phone, and I don't want the hassle of having to unpack and set up my laptop + wires/plugs to have to do so. With the PTV, I can be entertained and eat my BOB meal at the same time. If the other major carriers have found a way to make lots of money and still provide PTV's, why can't AA as well?

well, i'm gonna guess you're older considering you dont watch stuff on your phone. and that's perfectly fine, but the replacement cycle on phones is just so much faster than ptvs that it doesnt make sense to install something really expensive that will be outdated in 6 months.

Hmph, well not all AA passengers are Millenials! :old: Crandall was able to save money by eliminating the olives in coach salads, and nobody really noticed. But today, if DL sees fit to put PTVs even on brand new but smaller A220's, then how can AA be seen as doing anything but falling further behind when they take the TVs out? A couple years ago all you read were stories about how UA was going down the toilet. But lately, things have been changing--for the better. DL is clearly doing very well. AA is not going to win by pursuing a strategy of having the chintziest in flight experience among the big 3.

9w748capt

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 pm

musman9853 wrote:
global2 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

Hahaha ok dude - so older people don't have smartphones? Solid logic there.

It's just infinitely easier to have a PTV available than to bother with one's personal electronics onboard. This is just common, simple logic. AA's densified narrowbodies are going to be unbelievably cramped in Y - why on earth would people want to fiddle with unpacking their own electronics also? It's so much easier to take my headphones out and plug them into the PTV. If you can't see this, take your Dougie-flavored blinders off.

Passengers appreciate PTVs, period. That's why DL continues to install them. For a 3-4 hour flight, I can happily watch anything on an "inferior screen."

And by that logic, if PTVs are so outdated, why continue to install them on widebodies that primarily fly internationally? Why continue to install them in F and J cabins? Logic would suggest that int'l J and F passengers are even more likely to have their own high-powered devices, so why would AA waste another dime installing PTVs in premium cabins?

9w748capt

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 pm

kondoo wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
While the OP is slightly sensational - the stock has tanked, and AA just forecasted RASM down again last week. Almost a year ago, we heard they were going to try and raise fares to combat rising fuel costs. Fuel ended up going back down, but it appears AA is still more than willing to get involved in crazy fare wars for one of the big 3. I see AA matching the ULCCs in a lot of markets now - it gets customers onboard no doubt, but it hits revenues and RASM pretty hard.

I don't think AA has "taken a nosedive" in a practical sense - but it certainly has been interesting to watch them move in the opposite direction of DL/UA, who appear to largely be on the up (UA) or staying hot (DL)

You have hit the nail on the head, bad RM strategies, which they come from the US Airways adopted mentality of how to do Revenue Management.

AA's old RM strategy was not perfect but followed simple principles to squeeze revenue where the demand existed. AA's "new" strategy now is just to stupidly match any low fare, then yield management does not know what to do with that traffic, they get the planes full of crappy fares -> low unit revenue.

Hopefully, there will be some changes happening soon.

You're onto something. We still inevitably fly AA most of the time - not just because they fly convenient routes/times for us, but they're almost always the cheapest of the legacies. That didn't use to be the case. I definitely feel like pre-merger AA would rarely be the cheapest, usually somewhere in the middle. Of course back when they had a good product and AAdvantage miles were actually usable, I didn't at all mind paying a premium to fly AA. Now? Yeah right.

global2

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 pm

9w748capt wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
global2 wrote:

Hahaha ok dude - so older people don't have smartphones? Solid logic there.

It's just infinitely easier to have a PTV available than to bother with one's personal electronics onboard. This is just common, simple logic. AA's densified narrowbodies are going to be unbelievably cramped in Y - why on earth would people want to fiddle with unpacking their own electronics also? It's so much easier to take my headphones out and plug them into the PTV. If you can't see this, take your Dougie-flavored blinders off.

Passengers appreciate PTVs, period. That's why DL continues to install them. For a 3-4 hour flight, I can happily watch anything on an "inferior screen."

And by that logic, if PTVs are so outdated, why continue to install them on widebodies that primarily fly internationally? Why continue to install them in F and J cabins? Logic would suggest that int'l J and F passengers are even more likely to have their own high-powered devices, so why would AA waste another dime installing PTVs in premium cabins?

Thank You!