b777a340fan
Topic Author

Anyone been offered gold status for purchase on UA or Star Alliance?

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:55 am

[twoid][/twoid]In previous years, I have received email offers to buy gold status on United. I never bought it bc it usually costs around $2500 and I could never justify. I have now accepted a new position and will be traveling very often. I would like to buy gold status to take advamtage of the multipliers. Unfortunately, I havent received any email. Has anyone? Tried to call United, but they said those promotional emails only go out to certain customers. Has anyone received the email recently? I wonder if I can use someones link to buy. Maybe they will send after the holidays? Ironically, i keep getting the email from AA, but i dont like them.

upperdeckfan

Re: Anyone been offered gold status for purchase on UA or Star Alliance?

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:44 pm

If you'll be travelling UA very often you'll get Gold in a short time
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:52 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:

I don't know how "often" means, but I'll be flying round-trip NYC-SFO every other weekend, if not every weekend. I know that I'll probably get gold status eventually, but I was hoping to buy it now so I can take advantage of the multipliers and perhaps get 1k or platinum.

psukishman

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:23 am

b777a340fan wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:

I don't know how "often" means, but I'll be flying round-trip NYC-SFO every other weekend, if not every weekend. I know that I'll probably get gold status eventually, but I was hoping to buy it now so I can take advantage of the multipliers and perhaps get 1k or platinum.

I am a UA Premier Gold/Star Alliance Gold. I would be grateful if you'd share what you mean by "multipliers", as I have never heard of that.

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:59 am

psukishman wrote:
b777a340fan wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:

I am a UA Premier Gold/Star Alliance Gold. I would be grateful if you'd share what you mean by "multipliers", as I have never heard of that.

I’m talking about premier bonus miles. As a premier gold, you receive 8x fare you pay additional as bonus miles. You also get complimentary priority check in on all star alliance partners and free luggage. There are other perks too.

UALFAson

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:12 pm

b777a340fan wrote:
psukishman wrote:
b777a340fan wrote:

I’m talking about premier bonus miles. As a premier gold, you receive 8x fare you pay additional as bonus miles. You also get complimentary priority check in on all star alliance partners and free luggage. There are other perks too.

I think you are confusing elite level status with frequent flyer membership. Elite-level status is determined by actual miles flown. EWR-SFO is 2,565 miles each way or 5,130 roundtrip. Gold status can be achieved at 50,000 miles, so you will reach that level in 10 roundtrips (though you will achieve Silver after 25,000 miles flown. The only way to earn bonus Elite Qualifying Miles is to purchase F or full-fare Y tickets, in which case you will earn 150%-300% bonus. This bonus is available to everyone regardless of elite status. There is more information available on United's web site at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/premier/qualify.html

Frequent flier miles (really "points" now) no longer have anything to do with actual miles flown but are entirely based off of fare paid. Regular members earn 5 points per dollar spent on the base fare, Silvers earn 7 and Golds earn 8. The multipliers have nothing to do with you achieving Platinum or 1K status--that is totally determined by actual miles flown (and any fare bonuses as I mentioned in the previous paragraph).
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."