The 10 best airports in the U.S.
1. Phoenix Sky Harbor International
2. Portland International (Oregon)
3. San Diego International
4. Salt Lake City International
5. Honolulu International
6. Seattle-Tacoma International
7. Philadelphia International
8. Charlotte Douglas International (North Carolina)
9. Las Vegas McCarran International
10. Minneapolis-St. Paul International

The worst airports in the U.S.

1. LaGuardia (New York)
2. John F. Kennedy International (New York)
3. Newark Liberty International (New Jersey)
4. Chicago O’Hare International
5. Detroit Metro
6. Orlando International (Florida)
7. Washington Dulles International
8. Denver International
9. Los Angeles International
10. Houston George Bush Intercontinental

Cubsrule

Re: Phoenix Sky Harbor is named the best U.S. airport for the second time

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:16 pm

The voters/judges clearly haven’t been to DTW in the last 15 years or to SAN Terminal 1.

FlyHappy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Polls are mostly interesting for what they seemingly reveal about the participants.
Impressive (though not surprising) that NYC airports take the trifecta.

Also, not unsurprising that relativity smaller airports appear to be favored....... but..... what the heck is SEA doing in any top 10? Other than having a myriad of long haul options east and west, I struggle to picture its "popular with user" features....

Veigar

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Definitely not wrong about LGA being a shithole.

lavalampluva
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 pm

NYC airports are the only ones which seem to be rated worst consistently.

enilria

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:29 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I think every poll has a different list. :lol:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 941372002/

1. LaGuardia (New York)
5. Detroit Metro
8. Denver International

What are people even thinking when they rate these? How are MCO, DTW, and DEN on the worst list?

INFINITI329

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:35 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
NYC airports are the only ones which seem to be rated worst consistently.

Because its true

lavalampluva
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:42 pm

enilria wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

1. LaGuardia (New York)
5. Detroit Metro
8. Denver International

What are people even thinking when they rate these? How are MCO, DTW, and DEN on the worst list?

That’s the one thing I didn’t like about the article . It went on and on about why PHX was so great, but didn’t say anything about why the worst ones were rated so. It came across as personal preference with no solid facts.

HPRamper

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:53 pm

enilria wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

1. LaGuardia (New York)
5. Detroit Metro
8. Denver International

Probably the non-primary items they use as criteria like food choices, distance from downtown, cute gimmicks, etc.

Noise

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Have the judges ever been to RDU? or IND? How the hell is PHX #1 and the current SLC #4?

I would have expected to see RDU, IND, TPA, DTW, DEN, SJC.

bluefltspecial

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm

if you follow the links in the article you'll find it actually is a poll done by ThePointsGuy site.

Our Methodology
In compiling our report, TPG looked at objective, verifiable data from a number of sources, including the Department of Transportation, third-party databases (such as ExpertFlyer) and the airports themselves, selecting elements of airport management and outsourcing we felt would be most important to TPG readers and frequent flyers. We used data for the entire year of 2017 to address issues of seasonality and weather at several airports.

Doesn't exactly seem like a "sound" poll to be published, but that's just my opinion.

Oddly enough, their graphic shows 3 categories: Amenities, Accessibility, and Timeliness.

PHX, however, didn't even show up on Amenities, so not sure how that's rated the top one.

I'm biased having traveled millions of miles in the US, PHX is not a top contender to me, but that's just my unsolicited opinion.

I will be curious to see where LGA ends up after all the construction is done. Last week, I finally went past LGA after a 3 year avoidance, and it looks like the terminal(s) will make it a worthwhile place to be while you suffer through your ATC delays.

questions

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
if you follow the links in the article you'll find it actually is a poll done by ThePointsGuy site.

Our Methodology
In compiling our report, TPG looked at objective, verifiable data from a number of sources, including the Department of Transportation, third-party databases (such as ExpertFlyer) and the airports themselves, selecting elements of airport management and outsourcing we felt would be most important to TPG readers and frequent flyers. We used data for the entire year of 2017 to address issues of seasonality and weather at several airports.

Doesn't exactly seem like a "sound" poll to be published, but that's just my opinion.

Oddly enough, their graphic shows 3 categories: Amenities, Accessibility, and Timeliness.

PHX, however, didn't even show up on Amenities, so not sure how that's rated the top one.

I'm biased having traveled millions of miles in the US, PHX is not a top contender to me, but that's just my unsolicited opinion.

I will be curious to see where LGA ends up after all the construction is done. Last week, I finally went past LGA after a 3 year avoidance, and it looks like the terminal(s) will make it a worthwhile place to be while you suffer through your ATC delays.

Obviously after collecting the data and ranking the airports TPG forgot to sense check the results!

Useless, non-value add clickbait.

Flighty

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

I have a good amount of PHX departures, probably fifty. Average big airport, IMO

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

If my only view of SAN was Terminal 2 West, I would rate it #1. If my only view of SAN was Terminal 1, I'd rate it last, wondering why anyone would EVER use this airport.

Every airport has its ups and downs. JFK, for example, to me has always been great, but I've only been there a couple of times (JetBlue), and everything went perfectly - and the sheer number of electrical outlets and USB adaptors was amazing. I've had my issues at EWR, but given the restraints of the land and facilities, I think it's remarkable they get ANY flights out on some days!

As for everything else, get me to my gate as quickly as possible, give me food options nearby, make the signage as clear as humanly possible, get me my plane as close to on time as circumstances allow, and get me out of the airport as quick as I can. Anything else is gravy.

lavalampluva
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 pm

JFK, LAX, ORD are horrible airports for making connections, especially if you’re changing airlines.

FlightLevel360

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:41 pm

I trust TPG with a grain of salt because this is coincidentally the same site that has rated Alaska Airlines above jetBlue and Delta.

zm093

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:54 pm

IAH is 10th worst yet has a 4 star ranking from Skytrax? :?

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Philly is beyond terrible ..... all three times I have been to philly its been delays and awful customer service.

MartijnNL

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Veigar wrote:

No need to use such language here.

stlgph

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:18 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Veigar wrote:

No need to use such language here.

That's G-rated for LaGuardia.

lavalampluva
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 pm

JFK, LAX, and ORD are horrible airports especially when connecting to other airlines.

neutronstar73

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
The voters/judges clearly haven’t been to DTW in the last 15 years or to SAN Terminal 1.

NO KIDDING. Terminal 1 at SAN is in MAJOR need of an upgrade. No way SAN should be on the list if Terminal 1 is taken into account.

Oh, and one club/lounge in the entire airport? Nope.

spacecadet

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:16 pm

I can't argue with LGA being worst, but JFK #2? No way it's that bad. JFK is not even *close* to as bad as LGA. I just flew back to JFK from DFW and all I could think while in DFW was "I can't wait to get back to JFK". DFW, by comparison, feels like a bus station with a million people in it. JFK is actually much *less* crowded!

Maybe it's partly because I know JFK fairly well, but I'd actually rank it as one of my favorite large airports. I never have any problems with it. Parts of it can be kind of old and crusty, which is why they're constantly working on it, but it's not like LGA where the entire airport is just a nightmare right now.

77H

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:32 am

Would love to understand how HNL made the list of Top 10 when airports like SFO aren't even mentioned and a place like DEN is in the bottom 10. HNL is a dump, stuck in a bygone time. Yes the open air aspect is cool and unique but there is nothing else I would consider pleasant about the airport other than being in Hawaii.

77H

williaminsd

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:39 am

I love my SAN, but Terminal 1 is bursting at the seems with people sprawled out all over the tiny concourses and stepping over each other on the way to the SINGLE bathroom for each gender and one, central, completely nondescript restaurant to "choose" from post security. While some of the cramped quarters, including the incessantly back-up security can be excused by the late 60s design, no such excuse can be afforded T2E, which appears to have been designed by a dungeon master on a three-day bender. Dark, dreary, woefully inadequate with undersized gate areas and a narrow, meandering concourse that resembles liquid seeking the low ground. There is nothing good you can say about it other than you can gather your luggage in the magnificent T2W. You have to conclude none of the authors have actually used our airport lol... #fakenews

dfwjim1

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:50 am

77H wrote:
Would love to understand how HNL made the list of Top 10 when airports like SFO aren't even mentioned and a place like DEN is in the bottom 10. HNL is a dump, stuck in a bygone time. Yes the open air aspect is cool and unique but there is nothing else I would consider pleasant about the airport other than being in Hawaii.

77H

Yeah, I don't understand how the folks in such a beautiful state can tolerate HNL being in such poor shape.

alan3

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:25 am

Surprised to hear PHX the best US airport. Flew there last spring to YVR and the Canadian-bound flights are all crammed into a gate area that is far too small for the demand (an AC 767 plus a few WS 737's all leaving at once).

Not enough seats, people were all sitting all over the floor, crammed shoulder to shoulder, fanning themselves, low ceilings, no restaurants or shops or anything in that area nearby, could barely hear any announcements. Once the flights boarded it was a giant disorganized mass of people boarding (so desperate to get on the plane I guess). And that was after a long slow bus ride from the car rental depot.

Would be interested to hear what makes PHX so great.

formeraa

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:28 am

alan3 wrote:
Surprised to hear PHX the best US airport. Flew there last spring to YVR and the Canadian-bound flights are all crammed into a gate area that is far too small for the demand (an AC 767 plus a few WS 737's all leaving at once).

Not enough seats, people were all sitting all over the floor, crammed shoulder to shoulder, fanning themselves, low ceilings, no restaurants or shops or anything in that area nearby, could barely hear any announcements. Once the flights boarded it was a giant disorganized mass of people boarding (so desperate to get on the plane I guess). And that was after a long slow bus ride from the car rental depot.

It must be those incessant announcement at PHX that remind us that "PHX is America's friendliest airport"!

As for the international gates at PHX, it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that there are no restaurants or shops nearby. There are several restaurant and a number of shops on that concourse. And the ceilings are not "low"...they are a normal height. Yes, the gate areas at PHX can be crowded when many flights are leaving at the same time.

That said, I have no idea how SEA made number 6. It is beyond horrible these days. Way overcrowded...too much construction with a lot of lcosed concessions in the central terminal. Security lines can be ridiculous, including Pre-check. Often, lfights are delayed waiting for gates to open up. Oh yes, there's a cramped customer and immigration facility and the new IA facities is way behind schedule and way over cost.

PHLspecial

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:55 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
Philly is beyond terrible ..... all three times I have been to philly its been delays and awful customer service.

Probably sounding bias but I have yet to experience long delays and no problems. Philly is turning around the airport. I mean Terminal C and D needs an update otherwise it's not horrible. Hell the TSA lines might be long but there are quick

enilria

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:32 pm

HPRamper wrote:
cute gimmicks

"Our airport is rated #1 because of cute gimmicks. Would you like a robot to walk your dog? Sorry about the sagging drywall!"

Buffalomatt1027

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Probably sounding bias but I have yet to experience long delays and no problems. Philly is turning around the airport. I mean Terminal C and D needs an update otherwise it's not horrible. Hell the TSA lines might be long but there are quick

Going through Phillys customers was a nightmare ........dealing with the AA customer service ..... nightmare. Flying in and out of Philly always delayed ... a nightmare.

I am going to avoid that airport at all costs.

I have had 3 separate incidents ..... . Maybe I should blame AA rather than the airport.

acentauri

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:01 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Going through Phillys customers was a nightmare ........dealing with the AA customer service ..... nightmare. Flying in and out of Philly always delayed ... a nightmare.

I have had 3 separate incidents ..... . Maybe I should blame AA rather than the airport.

Let's see, you've transited PHL a total of (self admitted) 3 Times in your life and yet purport to be more experienced than the entire USA Today survey? Then you end your tirade with "Maybe I should blame AA rather than the airport". What a credible evaluation.

wave46

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 pm

alan3 wrote:

Having flown AC, Westjet and American out of PHX, I can say that the wave of departures out to Canada in the early afternoon are about the worst thing in Terminal 4. The other parts of the terminal seem fine by comparison - security moves reasonably quickly, baggage return is quick, the check-in works well and other gates aren't nearly as crowded.

I suspect when Air Canada moves out to Terminal 3 north when the construction is done, this situation will hopefully be improved.

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:33 am

acentauri wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Let's see, you've transited PHL a total of (self admitted) 3 Times in your life and yet purport to be more experienced than the entire USA Today survey? Then you end your tirade with "Maybe I should blame AA rather than the airport". What a credible evaluation.

You do realize that this is a message board .... you know .... a place where people share opinions.

Would you like me to apologize that each time I have flown to Philly , Ive had a bad experiences? From flights being delayed, rude customer service, and etc.

And yes, in my original post. I did blame AA / the airport too. Philly is an AA hub. So they contribute to a lot of the philly airport issues.