evank516
Topic Author

Gold Medallion Upgrades

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 pm

I know I have a thread on here about Silver Medallion upgrades, but since my status will be changing shortly so will my question which I suppose warrants a new thread? There's one trip in particular that sticks out, on December 8 and 9, so Saturday to Sunday where I'm traveling JFK-DTW-MCI r/t. As a Gold Medallion traveling on a Saturday morning that isn't a holiday, does that bode well for my upgrade chances? By the way, I managed to squeak in two Delta Comfort upgrades last weekend on JFK-MSP and MSP-JFK. Pretty nice and definitely unexpected.

twicearound

Re: Gold Medallion Upgrades

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Flyertalk would be a more appropriate forum for this type of question

RamblinMan

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Make it all the way to diamond and you'll still find there are routes in the system where the only way you're guaranteed a seat up front is to buy one.

IMHO upgrades to F are nice but not worth obsessing over. The real value of having status is that you will be better taken care of during cancellations and whatnot.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:24 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
Make it all the way to diamond and you'll still find there are routes in the system where the only way you're guaranteed a seat up front is to buy one.

IMHO upgrades to F are nice but not worth obsessing over. The real value of having status is that you will be better taken care of during cancellations and whatnot.

I like the SkyPriority perks too. I was still silver, but last Friday I had to go stand by on an earlier flight to ATL because my original was delayed. I was number 2 on the stand by list by the time I got to the gate and was cleared less than 5 mins later. Status does help for sure!

As for upgrades, I actually do try to buy first class when I can, but sometimes I like to see what happens.

One more question, would anyone be able to explain to me the concept of getting upgraded to Delta Comfort once you hit Gold? The email said, and I quote "Complimentary access to Delta Comfort+™ seats within 72 hours of departure." Does this mean it's automatic if there are seats left?

Akiestar

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:02 am

evank516 wrote:
One more question, would anyone be able to explain to me the concept of getting upgraded to Delta Comfort once you hit Gold? The email said, and I quote "Complimentary access to Delta Comfort+™ seats within 72 hours of departure." Does this mean it's automatic if there are seats left?

It's automatic if there are Comfort+ seats left within that 72-hour window.

That said, once you hit PM/DM you get upgraded much sooner. I just booked my Christmas flights for the year (LAX-MSP-PIT/PIT-SLC-LAX), and I got upgraded to Comfort+ on all four segments pretty much immediately after booking.

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Akiestar wrote:
evank516 wrote:

It's automatic if there are Comfort+ seats left within that 72-hour window.

That said, once you hit PM/DM you get upgraded much sooner. I just booked my Christmas flights for the year (LAX-MSP-PIT/PIT-SLC-LAX), and I got upgraded to Comfort+ on all four segments pretty much immediately after booking.

Yeah, you're upgraded immediately after booking if you're Platinum or Diamond. There's no way I'm making Platinum this year unless I decide to go to China, which I can't because I don't have a valid passport right now.

As for next Wednesday, I don't even think I'll manage Comfort+ flying out of here which is to be expected since it's the day before Thanksgiving. Oh well, I'm in 14A on a 717 from JFK-MSP. I'll live LOL.