J343
Topic Author
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Future CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:00 am

So Cathay Pacific has expended their network aggressively within the last year or so announcing new routes to IAD, SEA, BRU, DUB, DVO (Cathay Dragon) to name a few...

Anymore speculation for the airline? Perhaps restarting Moscow? IST, YUL, San Diego?
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B767 B787 B777 B747

CX O8 IB BA KL AA KE SQ TK AB

LHR LGW CDG MAD AGP VIE JFK MCO MNL HKG FCO TXL CPH IAH SFO OSL LAX AMS IST
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 am

Hey guys,
By Cathay's own admission, Canberra is not likely any time soon despite some speculation earlier this year which led to a statement from the airline denying plans to fly there.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 1938
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 am

DFW came to mind intially but AA already flys DFW to HKG.
 
AlexBrewster03
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:13 am

I wish ATL could be an option, but that would never happen. Realistically, IAH, IST, or DFW.
 
OSL777FLYER
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:11 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:16 am

I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.
 
LH658
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:26 am

KHI, ISB, IAH, NBO, YUL, MIA, and CLT.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 am

OSL777FLYER wrote:
I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.

Looking at their destinations, very few actually look like they rely on OW feed. Out of 8 US destinations, only 3 airports are AA hubs (ORD, JFK, LAX), and yet they fly to destinations such as BOS, IAD, and SEA (future) which are far from AA hubs.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
dodgers702
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:36 am

CX has already said they would like to fly to MEX in the near future. With their future 777x orders they would use that aircraft to fly to the Mexican capital. With the new airport being scratched it may delay their plans longer since we know MEX is slot restricted so I guess we will see if it becomes a reality.
 
behramjee
Posts: 4693
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 am

I would suggest the below:

GVA - summer seasonal only 3wk

YYC - year round 4wk A359

MRU - winter seasonal 4wk A359

IAH - 5wk year round A359 or B77W

ISB - year round A321Neo 4wk ops by Dragon

KHI - same as above
 
c933103
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:09 am

dodgers702 wrote:
CX has already said they would like to fly to MEX in the near future. With their future 777x orders they would use that aircraft to fly to the Mexican capital. With the new airport being scratched it may delay their plans longer since we know MEX is slot restricted so I guess we will see if it becomes a reality.

That near future was supposed to be, in addition to after the delivery of 777-9, also after the completion of the new airport at Mexico City if I recalled correctly?
 
by738
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:23 am

There was a strong rumour of a low frequency to EDI from 2020....
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:07 am

I'd love to see them at WLG, but that would have to be via somewhere (like AKL, CHC, Australia or the Pacific Islands) until any runway extension.

There's demand - anna.aero highlighted that WLG has the 2nd most unmet (non-stop) demand from China in Oceania, after NAN (ahead of CBR).

Further, WLG would tie in well within an NZ JV, as SQ's WLG service does. It would show the NZCC that the JV is continuing to deliver benefits.

Cheers,

C.
 
LHR01
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am

Islamabad and Karachi are on the table for Cathay
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:36 am

Dare I say - seasonal to ANC for cargo and the cruises?

Cheers,

C.
 
xorrygva
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:38 am

I shared this chart already in a pervious post. Unfortunately, this is Europe only. I think GVA would work well 4x per week and all year round (it needs to catch business pax). BHX and BER could also work. LIS could be seasonal.
Image

https://www.anna.aero/2017/09/01/cathay-pacific-airways-announces-service-brussels-copenhagen-dublin/
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am

OSL777FLYER wrote:
I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.


Brussels, Manchester are ones which come to mind that opened quite recently with little or no OW feed. Not sure about Brussels, never taken it. But Manchester was rammed when I took it, and is being expanded to a larger aircraft over the holidays, and has increased frequency permanently.

This is just the recent western European destinations with no OW feed. Let's not mention the other destinations with no OW feed connecting to a mega global city.
 
J343
Topic Author
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 am

What are the chances of CX flying into Sao Paolo, Rio or Santiago, Chile? Perhaps a 5th freedom from BCN or MAD? IST would be good, only TK flying between HKG and IST (correct me if i am wrong!).

Any further expansion? I would really like CX to use their A35K to LHR
A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B767 B787 B777 B747

CX O8 IB BA KL AA KE SQ TK AB

LHR LGW CDG MAD AGP VIE JFK MCO MNL HKG FCO TXL CPH IAH SFO OSL LAX AMS IST
 
3AWM
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:48 am

jubaexpress wrote:
OSL777FLYER wrote:
I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.


Brussels, Manchester are ones which come to mind that opened quite recently with little or no OW feed. Not sure about Brussels, never taken it. But Manchester was rammed when I took it, and is being expanded to a larger aircraft over the holidays, and has increased frequency permanently.

This is just the recent western European destinations with no OW feed. Let's not mention the other destinations with no OW feed connecting to a mega global city.


Maybe due to historical and business links UK-HKG connections seem to outperform other European ones.

The thing about OW feed is also if you fly regularly in the UK you probably are a OW FFer through BA. I'm sure if CX started BHX they could steal a lot of Avios members who are currently doing the 2 hr motorway drive to get to LHR.
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:50 pm

3AWM wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
OSL777FLYER wrote:
I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.


Brussels, Manchester are ones which come to mind that opened quite recently with little or no OW feed. Not sure about Brussels, never taken it. But Manchester was rammed when I took it, and is being expanded to a larger aircraft over the holidays, and has increased frequency permanently.

This is just the recent western European destinations with no OW feed. Let's not mention the other destinations with no OW feed connecting to a mega global city.


Maybe due to historical and business links UK-HKG connections seem to outperform other European ones.

The thing about OW feed is also if you fly regularly in the UK you probably are a OW FFer through BA. I'm sure if CX started BHX they could steal a lot of Avios members who are currently doing the 2 hr motorway drive to get to LHR.


Quite possible, though Brussels has no such legacy connection, nor do quite a few other places they fly. Hong Kong is a centre of commerce, banking, finance, tourism VFR and a bridge to one of the most densely populated places in the world, now with a convenient train. You can also use them to fly between utterly non-OW airports in pairs.

This is probably erring a bit OT, but I would content that your point on frequent flyers in the UK being OW because of BA is very flawed. Relative to the poor BA showing in the bit between Hadrian's Wall and the Watford Gap, compared to KLM/Lufthansa et al, and the strength of the ME4 etc I would say BA are left for dead. Personally, I am SkyTeam as they go where I need to go (the more remote bits of the Continent).
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:53 pm

J343 wrote:
What are the chances of CX flying into Sao Paolo, Rio or Santiago, Chile? Perhaps a 5th freedom from BCN or MAD? IST would be good, only TK flying between HKG and IST (correct me if i am wrong!).

Any further expansion? I would really like CX to use their A35K to LHR


Same alliance doesn't necessarily mean they are friends.

Why would they try and go up against Iberia on their core market?? Iberia speaks the language, in the metaphorical and literal sense. Also not sure it would be the most logical route to get to these places.
 
caribb
Posts: 1561
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 1999 6:33 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 pm

I’m hoping for Montreal YUL.. I rather doubt it will happen right away but within five years perhaps.
 
330lover
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:11 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:27 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
OSL777FLYER wrote:
I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.


Brussels, Manchester are ones which come to mind that opened quite recently with little or no OW feed. Not sure about Brussels, never taken it. But Manchester was rammed when I took it, and is being expanded to a larger aircraft over the holidays, and has increased frequency permanently.

This is just the recent western European destinations with no OW feed. Let's not mention the other destinations with no OW feed connecting to a mega global city.


BRU has little OW connections for CX. Sure there is BA to LHR, EI to DUB, IB to MAD and AY to HEL (although this would be a lot of backtracking), but more than this, no...

But don't forget CX about 2 or so years ago has entered into an interline (or was it codesharing) agreement with SN (and LH), which could mean that BRU is indeed a sort of smaller hub for CX.
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I would say HEL but since Finnair has 12-14 weekly flights to HKG, I consider it unlikely.

Other airports could be EDI, OSL, PRG, WAW and maybe MIA (via YVR).
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:09 pm

330lover wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
OSL777FLYER wrote:
I have a hard time seeing them flying into anywhere where they would not get feeder traffic from a OW partner.


Brussels, Manchester are ones which come to mind that opened quite recently with little or no OW feed. Not sure about Brussels, never taken it. But Manchester was rammed when I took it, and is being expanded to a larger aircraft over the holidays, and has increased frequency permanently.

This is just the recent western European destinations with no OW feed. Let's not mention the other destinations with no OW feed connecting to a mega global city.


BRU has little OW connections for CX. Sure there is BA to LHR, EI to DUB, IB to MAD and AY to HEL (although this would be a lot of backtracking), but more than this, no...

But don't forget CX about 2 or so years ago has entered into an interline (or was it codesharing) agreement with SN (and LH), which could mean that BRU is indeed a sort of smaller hub for CX.


Actually 330lover you taught me something, I didn't know they entered into this agreement. Was this before they served Zaventem? I.e. was this SN providing traffic to Cathay destinations in Europe in place of a direct service? Or still exists and the role is of SN to provide traffic to CX's flight from Zaventem from elsewhere in Europe/Africa? Might be one of the things their new German overlords nip in the bid? Plenty of Lufthansa lift to Hong Kong.

London has so much Hong Kong capacity cannot imagine anyone bothering with changing in Brussels on an awkward connection. Dublin would route via the huge number of daily Dublin-London and London-Hong Kong flights. Helsinki's selling point is that it's the fastest route to Asia. Not sure why I wouldn't take them up on that offer and do a very long detour via Belgium (and if doing a detour, why not via OW hub at LHR?)
 
YLWbased
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:51 pm

FNJ :duck:
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.
 
3AWM
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
3AWM wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
This is probably erring a bit OT, but I would content that your point on frequent flyers in the UK being OW because of BA is very flawed. Relative to the poor BA showing in the bit between Hadrian's Wall and the Watford Gap, compared to KLM/Lufthansa et al, and the strength of the ME4 etc I would say BA are left for dead. Personally, I am SkyTeam as they go where I need to go (the more remote bits of the Continent).


Any citation to the claim that the are more Miles and More or Flying Blue members north of Watford Gap because I think you are very wrong about that?

You won't get any arguments from me that BA have neglected their customer base outside of London but because of historical service, corporate contracts and strong commercial contracts eg for FF credit cards BA still have a strong base and those miles can be earned and spent with other OW carriers.

I live in Birmingham and there are a lot of Avios members there, they just drive to LHR to get their flights. If CX came to BHX they would pick up a lot of eastbound traffic, yeah people go with other other Euro carriers but you've got to change for HKG and they don't have the breadth of connections in Asia. A lot of passengers go with EK but it's a long way around and not a great cabin up front.
 
330lover
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:11 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 am

jubaexpress wrote:

Actually 330lover you taught me something, I didn't know they entered into this agreement. Was this before they served Zaventem? I.e. was this SN providing traffic to Cathay destinations in Europe in place of a direct service? Or still exists and the role is of SN to provide traffic to CX's flight from Zaventem from elsewhere in Europe/Africa? Might be one of the things their new German overlords nip in the bid? Plenty of Lufthansa lift to Hong Kong.

London has so much Hong Kong capacity cannot imagine anyone bothering with changing in Brussels on an awkward connection. Dublin would route via the huge number of daily Dublin-London and London-Hong Kong flights. Helsinki's selling point is that it's the fastest route to Asia. Not sure why I wouldn't take them up on that offer and do a very long detour via Belgium (and if doing a detour, why not via OW hub at LHR?)


It was before they started direct services.
One could take an SN feeder flight from BRU to some (or was is all) CX destinations in Europe and further with CX to HKG, like BRU (SN) CDG (CX) HKG.
Now that they are serving BRU themselves, I suppose this works the other way around as well, like TLS (SN) BRU (CX) HKG.

The OW connections in BRU was just an example.
I know it makes no sense to fly LON-BRU-HKG with the multitude of direct flights, and HEL-BRU-HKG would be even more strange, but just wanted to indicate it is possible.
Not really logical, but possible :)
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:59 am

3AWM wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
3AWM wrote:


Any citation to the claim that the are more Miles and More or Flying Blue members north of Watford Gap because I think you are very wrong about that?

You won't get any arguments from me that BA have neglected their customer base outside of London but because of historical service, corporate contracts and strong commercial contracts eg for FF credit cards BA still have a strong base and those miles can be earned and spent with other OW carriers.

I live in Birmingham and there are a lot of Avios members there, they just drive to LHR to get their flights. If CX came to BHX they would pick up a lot of eastbound traffic, yeah people go with other other Euro carriers but you've got to change for HKG and they don't have the breadth of connections in Asia. A lot of passengers go with EK but it's a long way around and not a great cabin up front.


Exactly the same citation you provided for your claim ;) You have your personal experience, I have mine.
You might also look at the number of rolling passengers per month to various destinations provided in the Manchester news forum - around 80,000 to Amsterdam, 85,000 Dubai, 50,000 to London. Not including all the other connection points which, combined, outweigh the number of London passengers by about 30:1. To say that a frequent flier in that area is more likely than not to be a BA flier seems to fail the test.
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Futute CX routes?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 am

330lover wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:

Actually 330lover you taught me something, I didn't know they entered into this agreement. Was this before they served Zaventem? I.e. was this SN providing traffic to Cathay destinations in Europe in place of a direct service? Or still exists and the role is of SN to provide traffic to CX's flight from Zaventem from elsewhere in Europe/Africa? Might be one of the things their new German overlords nip in the bid? Plenty of Lufthansa lift to Hong Kong.

London has so much Hong Kong capacity cannot imagine anyone bothering with changing in Brussels on an awkward connection. Dublin would route via the huge number of daily Dublin-London and London-Hong Kong flights. Helsinki's selling point is that it's the fastest route to Asia. Not sure why I wouldn't take them up on that offer and do a very long detour via Belgium (and if doing a detour, why not via OW hub at LHR?)


It was before they started direct services.
One could take an SN feeder flight from BRU to some (or was is all) CX destinations in Europe and further with CX to HKG, like BRU (SN) CDG (CX) HKG.
Now that they are serving BRU themselves, I suppose this works the other way around as well, like TLS (SN) BRU (CX) HKG.

The OW connections in BRU was just an example.
I know it makes no sense to fly LON-BRU-HKG with the multitude of direct flights, and HEL-BRU-HKG would be even more strange, but just wanted to indicate it is possible.
Not really logical, but possible :)


Interesting and yes, you are right, it still works the other way round. I searched random date in the future Toulouse - HKG and one, not particularly cheap, option is to route via SN on a CX flight number through Brussels. Bulk of the options are via Frankfurt/Munich, Paris or London, but it is still an option.

You are right, it is possible, and if you wanted an A350 rather than a 777 to London you could route over Brussels for some variety. And indeed you could do much worse than to connect in Brussels, it's not a bad airport at all. Tear inducingly expensive coffee, but otherwise very pleasant. And the Lufthansa J lounge has an amazing view and a decent bar.
 
LUKAS10
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: Future CX routes?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:26 am

Cathay Pacific, as an airline based in one of the world's most important financial centres, does not necessarily need to rely on its OW partners. As OS left HKG, I believe VIE could be the best European unserved city. They could even consider MUC as an option. Otherwise, the only cities left in Europe CX could serve are DME and ARN.

SEA in the US could also make a sense but I wouldn't see another American city to be add right at this moment.

Dragon can be used to expand to destinations like KHI or OOL, or take over the operation to the places like CNS.

I think we'll even see CX dropping a service to BAH.

Additionally, I don't see them flying to destinations, such as BHX, MEX, MIA or GVA
 
User avatar
3BNBE
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

behramjee wrote:
I would suggest the below:

GVA - summer seasonal only 3wk

YYC - year round 4wk A359

MRU - winter seasonal 4wk A359

IAH - 5wk year round A359 or B77W

ISB - year round A321Neo 4wk ops by Dragon

KHI - same as above


I don't think 5 weekly flights to MRU would be profitable, unless there is a boom as there has been from 2012 to 2015 in the number of Chinese tourist arrivals to Mauritius, as HKG would then be used as a hub to drain those passengers to MRU. However, Air Mauritius(which is somehow reluctant to open Mauritian skies) already operates 2 weekly(3rd weekly flight suspended over fleet problems with a delay in the delivery of its A330-900) to HKG, with a great share of passengers coming from South Africa. It has a codeshare with Hong Kong Airlines which would have also started flights in January 2017 to MRU, but reservations never opened :|
The number of passengers to China from Mauritius is actually seeing a decline, with Air Mauritius even stopping flights to Beijing, Guangzhou and Wuhan(operated for only 2 months) in a year. Only 1 weekly flight to Shanghai(2nd weekly suspended also due to fleet problems) and 1 weekly flight to Chengdu are operated actually. The Mauritian media also talked about a new Chinese airline starting flights soon to Mauritius, most probably China Southern Airlines which left the island in 2015. Twice weekly A330-200 flights from Shenzhen wouldn't be bad...
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Future CX routes?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Random speculation:
Short haul - maybe trying a few secondary Japanese cities again (i.e. KMQ), although HX/UO dominates that market. In SE Asia, maybe something like VTE or MDL (Both on KA A320s)?
Mid-haul - ISB and KHI are definitely likely - either non-stop or maybe via BKK.
Europe - I put VIE as most likely after OS ended that route. MUC is also a plausible option (Depends whether CX want to jump into competing with LH). Otherwise, like other said, a return to Moscow. Seasonal EDI perhaps?
N. America - PHL or LAS in US, YYC in Canada.

P.S. CX feed at BRU to SN:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... ships.html

So BRU-TXL/HAM/LYS/MRS/TLS/OSL/PRG.

jubaexpress wrote:
J343 wrote:
What are the chances of CX flying into Sao Paolo, Rio or Santiago, Chile? Perhaps a 5th freedom from BCN or MAD? IST would be good, only TK flying between HKG and IST (correct me if i am wrong!).

Any further expansion? I would really like CX to use their A35K to LHR


Same alliance doesn't necessarily mean they are friends.

Why would they try and go up against Iberia on their core market?? Iberia speaks the language, in the metaphorical and literal sense. Also not sure it would be the most logical route to get to these places.


CX mostly partner with LATAM and AA for S. America flights. Not so much with IB, though, although one can book an IB-code flight from HKG to S. America (HKG-MAD on IB code, CX operate flight; MAD-S. America on IB flights).
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Future CX routes?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 am

Vienna (VIE) , Munich (MUC) , Berlin (TXL) , Stockholm (ARN) , Geneva (GVA) , Lisbon (LIS) , Montreal (YUL) , Portland (PDX) , Atlanta (ATL) , Houston (IAH) , Mexico City (MEX) and Miami (MIA)
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Future CX routes?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Vienna (VIE) , Munich (MUC) , Berlin (TXL) , Stockholm (ARN) , Geneva (GVA) , Lisbon (LIS) , Montreal (YUL) , Portland (PDX) , Atlanta (ATL) , Houston (IAH) , Mexico City (MEX) and Miami (MIA)

PDX ain't happening at all, since it's too close to SEA.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
GRJGeorge
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:54 pm

J343 wrote:
What are the chances of CX flying into Sao Paolo, Rio or Santiago, Chile? Perhaps a 5th freedom from BCN or MAD? IST would be good, only TK flying between HKG and IST (correct me if i am wrong!).

Any further expansion? I would really like CX to use their A35K to LHR


CX is starting seasonal CPT flights this coming week...perhaps if they could somehow get 5th freedom rights between CPT and GIG/GRU, it could work for them...being probably one of the shortest possible routes with some demand...through JNB will be tough, doubt LATAM will be happy with it. The other shorter options is then NBO and LAD, but Angola won't allow.
 
User avatar
3BNBE
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Re: Futute CX routes?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

GRJGeorge wrote:
J343 wrote:
What are the chances of CX flying into Sao Paolo, Rio or Santiago, Chile? Perhaps a 5th freedom from BCN or MAD? IST would be good, only TK flying between HKG and IST (correct me if i am wrong!).

Any further expansion? I would really like CX to use their A35K to LHR


CX is starting seasonal CPT flights this coming week...perhaps if they could somehow get 5th freedom rights between CPT and GIG/GRU, it could work for them...being probably one of the shortest possible routes with some demand...through JNB will be tough, doubt LATAM will be happy with it. The other shorter options is then NBO and LAD, but Angola won't allow.


Possible routes from HKG to GRU:
-HKG-JNB-GRU
It'll be a little tough to secure rights provided both South African Airways and LATAM have flights between JNB and GRU. Johannesburg has been a successful route for JJ, while I doubt that SA, which is in trouble, will welcome even more competition
-HKG-CPT-GRU
It can be a nice route, as CPT has no connection at all with South America, and this may allow for year-long flights between HKG and Cape Town. SA may lose some traffic which would normally travel via JNB on its flights, but South Africa does not restrict too much competition to protect SA(We've seen it with new airlines often starting service to South Africa and British Airways greatly increasing capacity to the 3 main airports in the country this year)
-HKG-NBO-GRU
KQ recently stopped flights to HKG, and there may be a place for CX if it exploits the potential of NBO as a hub to Eastern and even Western Africa. Traffic between Kenya and China is also seeing an increase, with KQ even willing to start a new route to PEK. I don't know too much about traffic between South America and Kenya, but this can place NBO as a hub to some Asian destinations(Bangkok, Mumbai and soon Tel Aviv). It'll also be the shortest possible routes among the most probable ones
-HKG-MRU-GRU
As previously stated, Mauritius will be a difficult route unless there is a boom in Chinese tourist arrivals, which can easily occur if there is proper promotion of the island, with just about 50,000 available seats available this year between Mauritius and Mainland China, but O&D traffic demand exceeding 120,000 in 2015.
South America to Mauritius flights may be used by incoming tourists to Mauritius and also those willing to connect to India(Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and New Delhi), Australia(Perth) and Singapore via Mauritius. But I don't see Cathay Pacific making a move to Mauritius, as even Ethiopian Airlines hasn't yet been allowed to start flights though negociations have started more than 1 year ago and Air Mauritius already flies to HKG
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Future CX routes?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:14 pm

3BNBE wrote:
As previously stated, Mauritius will be a difficult route unless there is a boom in Chinese tourist arrivals, which can easily occur if there is proper promotion of the island, with just about 50,000 available seats available this year between Mauritius and Mainland China, but O&D traffic demand exceeding 120,000 in 2015.


Somewhat off topic, but last thing I personally want is a (mainland) Chinese tourism boom in Mauritius LOL. They can easily overrun that island, literally. :knockout: Although to be fair, I doubt there will be as many "zero yuan tours"/"low price tours" (Which tend to draw the ultra-cheap crowd that are, sadly, relatively culturally uneducated/ignorant) going to Mauritius compare to, let say, Thailand or Vietnam or Cambodia.

On the other hand, if anyone other than MK fly HKG-MRU, it'll be HX, if they have money, that is :banghead:

3BNBE wrote:
-HKG-NBO-GRU
KQ recently stopped flights to HKG, and there may be a place for CX if it exploits the potential of NBO as a hub to Eastern and even Western Africa. Traffic between Kenya and China is also seeing an increase, with KQ even willing to start a new route to PEK. I don't know too much about traffic between South America and Kenya, but this can place NBO as a hub to some Asian destinations(Bangkok, Mumbai and soon Tel Aviv). It'll also be the shortest possible routes among the most probable ones


When KQ can't even make their flight to CAN non-stop, with CAN being THE African trade capital in China, I just don't see why CX would want to jump on that route. Unlike trades between HK and S. Africa, which had been going on for years due to British colonial ties, trades with Kenya in general go directly to mainland instead of through HK.
 
User avatar
3BNBE
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Re: Future CX routes?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
3BNBE wrote:
As previously stated, Mauritius will be a difficult route unless there is a boom in Chinese tourist arrivals, which can easily occur if there is proper promotion of the island, with just about 50,000 available seats available this year between Mauritius and Mainland China, but O&D traffic demand exceeding 120,000 in 2015.


Somewhat off topic, but last thing I personally want is a (mainland) Chinese tourism boom in Mauritius LOL. They can easily overrun that island, literally. :knockout: Although to be fair, I doubt there will be as many "zero yuan tours"/"low price tours" (Which tend to draw the ultra-cheap crowd that are, sadly, relatively culturally uneducated/ignorant) going to Mauritius compare to, let say, Thailand or Vietnam or Cambodia.

On the other hand, if anyone other than MK fly HKG-MRU, it'll be HX, if they have money, that is :banghead:

For some time, Chinese tourists have been spending much in Mauritius, mainly in activities and also luxury shopping. They helped the island develop particular industries, such as the tea industry which encountered a growing popularity in China, thanks to those tourists(many special teas are now confectioned for those tourists) and the ship model making, which was once very lucrative before the European crisis in 2010! They would also most of the time stay in the island's 4 and 5-star resorts(not bungalows or villas like the Europeans sometime do). On average, the Chinese would spend more per night than the Europeans. Hence, a rise in Chinese tourists coming to Mauritius is desirable, with even the government there finding ways to increase it, and concerning the aviation field(sorry for being out of subject before), this would logically allow for an increase in the number of flights between Mauritius and China, and make the way for new airlines from China/Hong Kong/Asia to start profitable flights to the small island.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Birdwatching and 26 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos