davidg12
Topic Author

security checks for Israeli flights (Brussels airport)

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 pm

On my way to my flight yesterday at the Brussels airport, I passed by the security checks for Israeli flights and saw people stepping through the metal detector and putting their bags through the X-ray machine.
A security officer immediately picked up a small handbag that belonged to one of the passengers. It looked like they were screening passengers and luggage while people were still waiting for the security check. This person with the handbag was taken to a side room and I didn’t see him on the plane..

Pierre, Brussels

atcsundevil

Re: security checks for Israeli flights (Brussels airport)

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:55 pm

davidg12 wrote:
On my way to my flight yesterday at the Brussels airport, I passed by the security checks for Israeli flights and saw people stepping through the metal detector and putting their bags through the X-ray machine.
A security officer immediately picked up a small handbag that belonged to one of the passengers. It looked like they were screening passengers and luggage while people were still waiting for the security check. This person with the handbag was taken to a side room and I didn’t see him on the plane..

Pierre, Brussels

FYI — I moved your post to the Travel Forum, since that's typically where airport security threads are discussed.

Just a reminder to users, please be sure not to divulge any potentially sensitive security information, as this is a public forum.

✈️ atcsundevil

hinckley

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Funny, my 20-something niece was flying to TLV today for a university program and transferred through MXP. She's the artistic type and coincidentally had a sticker on her computer of works by an Arab artist. Security pulled her out of line at the gate, brought her to that little room and questioned her for over 30 minutes. She, of course, was clueless and called to say how terrified and unsafe she felt. I had to laugh and told her that that security should have made her feel safer than on any other flight on earth. Oh, and I told her to take the stupid sticker off her computer!

I think all the Israeli airlines run these sort of precautions - for good reason.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Without delving into politics, if one is traveling to Israel - whether via El Al or any other airline - one should know that Israel takes airline security VERY seriously. In an attempt to find any potential security issue ahead of time, Israeli security screens passengers very thoroughly, once, twice, and sometimes three times. "Thorough" is the word, checking everyone multiple times. Part of it, as well, is designed to be random, thus ensuring that no person can ever be 100% certain of "not fitting the profile" - meaning literally anyone can be pulled aside.