cc2314
Topic Author

Skyscanner VS airlines home site

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 am

Hi all,

If this is the wrong section then please move or delete.

I travel frequently between Stavanger and Dublin, my other half generally books tickets for me. A question she brings up with me today. Why does sky scanner have lower fares available for SAS than SAS have on their own site?

We both worked for Lufthansa ticketing many years ago so shame on us for not understanding :)

My guess is that these have been purchased by a 3rd party and sold on sky scanner.

Anyway any information is appreciated

Tony

Airbus747

Re: Skyscanner VS airlines home site

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 am

3rd party, travel agencies or by Skyscanner/other sites offers themselves.

I remember (not recently though) using Lastminute or Expedia and finding cheaper tickets for legacy airlines than budget airlines (e.g. KLM, Alitalia, Lufthansa vs Ryanar, EasyJet).

PatrickZ80

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Indeed it's mostly travel agencies. Due to contracts with the airlines, pre-buying seats, etc. they can offer them cheaper.

In the old days the reason used to be that the travel agency did all the paperwork, which saved the airline money. Nowadays that's not an issue anymore as all paperwork is digital, but still the deal between the travel agencies and the airlines remain.

By the way, not all airlines allow travel agencies to sell tickets below the airline price. Even some airlines don't sell their tickets through travel agencies at all. This is mostly the case with LCCs. Legacies have a long history of selling their tickets through travel agencies, before the times of the internet it was practically the only way to buy an airline ticket. Ryanair was the first to break this habit and start selling their tickets directly online to the customer without a travel agency inbetween which lead them to be cheaper. Later other airlines followed and as a result travel agencies started selling online as well.

BWIAirport

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:19 am

Another thing that may contribute to reduced prices is the fact that many sites search all sources for tickets for a flight, including codeshares. A Lufthansa flight from FRA to GOT, for example, might be cheaper if sold as a United codeshare, for whatever reason.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 744 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88