TriL1011Star
Topic Author

Why are there always LESS people going back from Orlando?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:57 pm

I have noticed this ever since I was a kid, in the 1980's when we would fly down to Florida.

Back in those days, There would be packed L-1011's, DC-10's and all of the big aircraft, just full of people. But, on the way BACK, it was just the opposite. On the way back home, we'd always end up on little planes such as the DC-9's and the 727's, and those were lucky to be a full flight.

Why is this? People that go on vacation have to come back sometime, so why aren't the flights westbound just as full as the ones coming in?

PanzerPowner

Re: Why are there always LESS people going back from Orlando?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:16 pm

This is just my two cents. But I always saw Orlando as a stopover. I went there for a few days as a kid in the early late 2000s and we went onwards to New York. But that was for family.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

rainaviation

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 pm

In all my times flying to MCO from MSP I have always had a full flight both ways. I have flown DL 757-300, 737-900, A330 and SY 737-800 on this route and it is full both ways.

spacecadet

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Florida's like a roach motel... you can check in, but you can't check out.

Seriously, a lot of people *are* actually moving down there on those flights. Florida's one of the fastest growing states and has been for decades. There's a heavy migration to the state, especially from colder states (you say you flew "down" to Florida so it sounds like you're from one of those states). New York's population, for example, has been pretty flat and even declined for a while as a lot of its population moved to Florida. In some parts of Florida, you'd think you were in Brooklyn based on the local accent.

That doesn't fully explain full flights one way and empty flights coming back, but I think that's probably just that you came back on days when other people didn't. People tend to leave for vacations on the same days but come back on all different days. For example, on a four day weekend/holiday from Friday-Monday, most people would leave on Friday but some would come back Monday, some might take a personal or sick day and come back on Tuesday, and maybe some people decide or actually do have to work on Monday, so they come back on Sunday.

This is less noticeable on flights between two points that are both (or neither) tourist spots, but when flying from a non-tourist destination to a tourist destination and back, I've found that the outbound flight is almost always more full than the return flight.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

SRQKEF

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:08 pm

TriL1011Star wrote:
I have noticed this ever since I was a kid, in the 1980's when we would fly down to Florida.

Back in those days, There would be packed L-1011's, DC-10's and all of the big aircraft, just full of people. But, on the way BACK, it was just the opposite. On the way back home, we'd always end up on little planes such as the DC-9's and the 727's, and those were lucky to be a full flight.

Why is this? People that go on vacation have to come back sometime, so why aren't the flights westbound just as full as the ones coming in?

Did you go in October or there-abouts? In those months, "snowbirds" (retired people in colder climates) often go down to Florida for the winter and then return back in April which could explain this to a point. However, it doesn't fully explain the huge difference in demand you described.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

UALFAson

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:43 pm

The above responses are good explanations of why load factors could be lower coming back versus going down. But you're probably misremembering about airplane types. Once that L-1011 or DC-10 got down to MCO, it didn't just disappear. It had to go on to somewhere, most likely back to the hub or city from which it came.

Back in the 80s, airlines didn't have the computer systems in place to switch aircraft models for the same flight on different days of the week. But they could schedule different sized airplanes at different times. Meaning if you flew down to MCO at 5:00 p.m. on a Friday when tons on people were going, it's understandable that you were on board a large aircraft. But if your family chose to fly home Tuesday afternoon when fewer people were traveling, it makes more sense you would be on a smaller plane. At the end of the day, the number and types of planes into an airport has to exactly equal the number and types of planes out.

(Side note: not to be pedantic, but it's "FEWER people going back from Orlando" not LESS.)
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

SRQKEF

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:13 am

UALFAson wrote:
The above responses are good explanations of why load factors could be lower coming back versus going down. But you're probably misremembering about airplane types. Once that L-1011 or DC-10 got down to MCO, it didn't just disappear. It had to go on to somewhere, most likely back to the hub or city from which it came.

Back in the 80s, airlines didn't have the computer systems in place to switch aircraft models for the same flight on different days of the week. But they could schedule different sized airplanes at different times. Meaning if you flew down to MCO at 5:00 p.m. on a Friday when tons on people were going, it's understandable that you were on board a large aircraft. But if your family chose to fly home Tuesday afternoon when fewer people were traveling, it makes more sense you would be on a smaller plane. At the end of the day, the number and types of planes into an airport has to exactly equal the number and types of planes out.

I forgot to mention it, but the first thought that popped into my head was exactly the same as yours. Even if the LFs were different, the aircraft type must've stayed the same if he was flying on the same aircraft rotation both ways.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

stlgph

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Depends on the time of the year - in the spring/summer you have a flux of people headed to the resorts, staying there to work the season or sing and dance their hearts out at Disney shows.

In the fall you have people heading down there for the winter.

You also have the people going on vacation who start in Orlando and up somewhere else and come home from there.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetstar

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:02 pm

A lot of visitors often start their vacation in Orlando and then head out to explore other areas of Florida via a rental car and drop off the rental car at another Florida airport. I know that car rental companies during certain times of the year have to ship cars back by truck to Orlando because of this. I have seen car rental companies even impose one way drop off charges if rented in Orlando and returned somewhere else.

I have done the reverse and rented cars at other Florida airports and returned it to Orlando and found the rental rates were cheaper with no drop off charges than doing it the other way because they needed their cars back in Orlando.

JetStar

ExpatVet

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:54 pm

The Disney cast members eat them. You'd turn cannibal too, after hearing "It's a Small World" 8 hours a day for a year. In a suit. That smells. Bad.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

smallmj

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 pm

I thought Florida is where people went to die...

cofannyc

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:06 am

Well, let's use data!

US DOT T-100 load factors for the year ending July 2018 by carrier by inbound to MCO/outbound from MCO:

AA In: 88.97%
AA Out: 89.19%

B6 In: 86.24%
B6 Out: 85.25%

DL In: 89.21%
DL Out: 87.98%

NK In: 86.06%
NK Out: 85.13%

UA In: 91.69%
UA Out: 91.52%

WN In: 88.06%
WN Out: 87.91%

I can't say the difference is large enough to say significantly fewer people leave MCO than arrive...especially when you consider that people might leave from other FL airports.

I know it's load factor not passenger numbers, but I didn't want to type it all out nor were the number of seats inbound and outbound significantly different.

vatveng

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 am

jetstar wrote:
A lot of visitors often start their vacation in Orlando and then head out to explore other areas of Florida via a rental car and drop off the rental car at another Florida airport. I know that car rental companies during certain times of the year have to ship cars back by truck to Orlando because of this. I have seen car rental companies even impose one way drop off charges if rented in Orlando and returned somewhere else.

I have done the reverse and rented cars at other Florida airports and returned it to Orlando and found the rental rates were cheaper with no drop off charges than doing it the other way because they needed their cars back in Orlando.

JetStar

This is what I do. I often fly into Orlando and fly home from Tampa. Or vice-versa. Last year I flew into Tampa and flew home from Jacksonville.