Novaboy2525
Topic Author

Basic Economy Center Seat Preference by airline.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:07 am

I have flow on 4 crosscountry flights these past few months and have flown basic economy on both American and Delta. All of the times I have been placed in a center seat with either another passenger to the aisle or window. All 4 times either aisle seats or window seats have been open. Is it's the Airline policy to fill basic economy passengers in center seats first? Is this in response that hopefully those passengers will pay for main cabin fares?

Eindhoven

Re: Basic Economy Center Seat Preference by airline.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:32 am

That would not make sense because then when a couple checks in they can't seat them together. I think you were just unlucky.

PI4EVER

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:36 pm

On AA the window and aisle passengers may have gotten a last minute upgrade or moved to exit row or MCE seats.
I flew recently on AA from PHL and the gate agent assigned me the B seat in exit row and when I boarded discovered the entire row was empty.
I moved to the window when the door closed and another passenger hopped in the aisle seat before the A/C moved.
The F/A did remind us that exit row on AA constitutes "Main Cabin Extra" seats and booze was free.
So if on AA basic economy and you get ANY seat in MCE don't complain about anything. Have a free drink and just lean back and smile.
watch what you want. you may get it.

UALFAson

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:12 pm

The one time I have flown Basic Economy was on DL a couple of months ago and I was assigned an aisle seat. It's just luck of the draw.

It's also possible that passengers who were initially assigned the windows and aisles either no-showed or changed their flights or got reassigned to a better seat as PI4EVER pointed out. I like to check in at the airport kiosk and almost always look at the seating chart to see if I will have people next to me. I am frequently surprised at how much difference there is in just 45-60 minutes from what the kiosk shows to how many fewer people actually board the plane, especially in Main Cabin Extra.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."