caliboy93
Topic Author

Unserved markets from Frankfurt

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 am

Obviously Frankfurt is a huge hub and serves most of the world's population. But many places like Oceania do not have direct flights to Frankfurt. What are the largest unserved markets from FRA?

LH658

Re: Unserved markets from Frankfurt

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 am

Pakistan

gunsontheroof

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:28 am

STL and YEG come to mind. MNL might be the largest.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

RainerBoeing777

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:41 am

KUL , MNL . CGK , CAN , HYD , SCL . PDX , LIM
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

FA9295

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:53 am

Lufthansa should restart PDX. The lousy Condor 2x weekly flights for two months of the year is ridiculous.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:43 am

Until recently I would have said SAN, but we are already seeing an upgauge in our service level soon enough. In the U.S. I might say PDX, BNA or PIT could come next.

caliboy93
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:56 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Until recently I would have said SAN, but we are already seeing an upgauge in our service level soon enough. In the U.S. I might say PDX, BNA or PIT could come next.

Aren't PDX and PIT already served by Condor? I can also add Kansas City and STL along with Milwaukee - the Midwest has a famously huge German population

N292UX

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:58 am

EVN

LAX772LR

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:05 am

caliboy93 wrote:
Aren't PDX and PIT already served by Condor?

:checkmark: Yes
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

intothinair

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:24 am

Wuhan
Changsha
Hangzhou
Dalian
Kunming

There has not been a single new route added between Germany and China for the last year, whilst demand to other EU countries such as UK has almost doubled. Bilaterals are maxed out from the Chinese side, and LH has no intention to increase their flight to China, preferring to maintain yields rather than increase market share.

Very interesting, considering the booming trade between the world's second and fourth largest economy.

marcecar10

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:29 am

LIM and SCL in Latin America.

hooverman

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:43 am

intothinair wrote:
Wuhan
Changsha
Hangzhou
Dalian
Kunming

If were going to add these kind of cities this could be a long thread.
These are probably large cities but there are a lot of them in China.

Eindhoven

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am

EIN. Plenty of flights to AMS but the rest of the country is unserved.

JayBCNLON

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 am

DE: SXF, HDF
EUR: KGD
AFR: DUR, JRO, VFA
ASI: MNL, KUL, CGK, DMM, CCU, DAC, RGN
USA: STL, MKE, BUF, MSP, FLL
AME: MDE, LIM, SCL, BSB, SJU, POA, MVD,

DominikR83

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Why are some people mentioning SCL?
There is a daily flight LA 705 from FRA to SCL.Yes,it does make a stop in MAD,but you don`t have to change planes so for me it is a direct flight.

LHUSA

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:37 pm

delete

iadadd

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Lufthansa could beef up its Asian ops by adding destinations such as: MNL, KUL, KHI, DAC, HYD, CCU, LHE, AMD. However, yields would be particularly low due to immense ME3 competition ....

AIRT0M

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm

That's why LH stopped flights to MNL, KUL and HYD.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:19 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Aren't PDX and PIT already served by Condor? I can also add Kansas City and STL along with Milwaukee - the Midwest has a famously huge German population

Here's my theory, based on my observations here at a.net and SAN's international growth in the last decade: An non-stop can only be justified upon asking this question: is there a demand for a non-stop that premium-paying passengers are willing to pay? Virtually all airports in the U.S. and Canada can offer customers a one-stop/connecting flight to London, Frankfurt, Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, and other major locations; however, a non-stop has to have demand on both ends that will cover the extra costs associated with a non-stop. Filling up the plane's cargo hold consistently will encourage development of the non-stop as well.

In San Diego, we have seen:

*our daily LHR flight on a 777-200 get upgauged to a 747-400 and a 777-300 at various times. Both planes carry (a) more premium passengers and (b) more cargo.

*our JL flight continued after the grounding of the 787 (a plane specifically designed with intercontinental routes from SAN in mind!), with a 777-300. Enough demand was there that JL decided it was worth sending a weight-restricted 777 as a replacement.

*Condor & Edelweiss Air begin Frankfurt & Zurich service, "testing it out" with seasonal summer service. Given that all flights were bookable through lufthansa.com, I knew they were testing the waters, seeing if there was enough of a premium & cargo market to justify new service. Sure enough, it was announced at the end of the season that, "Condor will not be back - but Lufthansa will!". Exactly as I predicted. And now, less than a year later, here we are getting upgauged three of our five days from an A340-300 to a -600. More premium seats and more cargo.

On the other hand, my former home town of Bakersfield clings to six daily flights, 1x SFO, 2x DEN, and 3x PHX, and a soon-to-be-only-because-of-a-subsidy 1x DFW. Geographically, there's nothing stopping any airline from flying there, but the lack of business demand (and of course the proximity of LAX) keeps service at the barest of minimums. Fresno, on the other hand, often compared to Bakersfield in terms of size and demographics, has six departures in the first ten minutes of daily operations. Clearly there is a demand for FAT.

YIMBY

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:01 pm

I vote for LIM (10 M pax, 10 M inhabitants). While there are larger unserved cities, particularly in Asia, many of those have few if no flights to other European cities either, but LIM is served from MAD, BCN, CDG, AMS, LGW, .... so the absence of Lufthansa in Peru is quite notorious.

flyingclrs727

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:22 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
Obviously Frankfurt is a huge hub and serves most of the world's population. But many places like Oceania do not have direct flights to Frankfurt. What are the largest unserved markets from FRA?

Why serve Oceania. They can and do hand off passengers to their Star Alliance partners Singapore Airlines at SIN.

AIRT0M

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:56 am

Just saw that Condor has started KUL 3/7 from FRA in November.