mcg
Topic Author

CDG Transfer

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:41 pm

In two weeks time I've got a transfer at CDG. I'll be arriving on DL, Terminal 2E hall M and transferring to Terminal 2F. I'll be arriving pretty early in the morning, 7:10 am and will have 2:25 to make my onward flight. It seems straightforward, train to center of 2E, immigration and security then walk to 2F. CDG seems to have a bad reputation with regard to connections (lot's of lamenting on on-line travel forums) so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to help make the connection go smoothly.

Second question, I'll be returning to the United States on DL from Paris. RER B to the airport then check bags then passport control and security, then train to Hall M, is 1.5 hours adequate time to transit the airport?

Thanks in advance for any info.

IAHWorldflyer

Re: CDG Transfer

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Your arrival will probably be ok, but slightly tight. Delta almost always gets an actual gate, so probably no shuttle bus involved.
I would only be comfortable arriving on the RER 2 hours in advance of departure. AF bag check lines can be long and security lines at Hall M can be slow due to some passengers not seeming to understand you need to remove metal from your person. Plus there's a lot of walking involved at CDG.

cskok8

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:22 pm

If you have checked your baggage through to your final destination you can do it airside. Still have to go through immigration and security but the lines are usually quite short

ubeema

CDG Transfer

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 pm

You should be fine on arrival at CDG. ADP made a lot of improvements over the last couple years.
I’m not sure I fully understand the return from Paris, but seems like you will commute to CDG via RER B. I will say make sure you catch the non-stop from Gare du Nord to CDG. And try to allow at least 2 hours before gate closing.

alggag

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:00 am

I've had four or five transfers in CDG in the last year or two and they have all gone pretty smoothly. IMO CDG's reputation for terrible transfers is a bit dated.

On the other hand, for a flight originating in CDG I would personally look to arrive to the airport at least 2 hours before departure. Check in and security seem to take forever and IAHWorldflyer is right about there potentially being some long walks involved.

mcg
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:54 am

ubeema wrote:
You should be fine on arrival at CDG. ADP made a lot of improvements over the last couple years.
I’m not sure I fully understand the return from Paris, but seems like you will commute to CDG via RER B. I will say make sure you catch the non-stop from Gare du Nord to CDG. And try to allow at least 2 hours before gate closing.

Thanks everyone for your information. I can't find any info (at least on Google Maps) about express train from Gare du Nord, all the trains seem to show 10 stops. Is there any resource where I can learn about express RER B?

Thanks again

ubeema

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:24 am

mcg wrote:
Thanks everyone for your information. I can't find any info (at least on Google Maps) about express train from Gare du Nord, all the trains seem to show 10 stops. Is there any resource where I can learn about express RER B?

Thanks again

RATP schedule link in pdf below. The express typically does not operate at the top of rush hour so it might not available to you. In any case the additional stops are not that bad. Looks like first express departs Gare du Nord shortly before 10AM. Also watch out for holidays because all operations are on reduced frequency.

https://www.ratp.fr/sites/default/files ... -aller.pdf

mcg
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Merci! No express RER B because we leave too early in the morning. Thanks again.

PITingres

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Signage and general traffic flow through CDG has improved considerably in the last few years. I did a number of transfers arriving on Delta in 2015-2016, and it was immensely improved over the bad old days of mystery signage and Gallic shoulder shrugs. You should be fine with 2 hours if you don't dawdle too much.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

FlySSC

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Most people on this forum who keep complaining about « CDG nightmare » actually have never been there ...
Transit at CDG for Skyteam airlines is easy and in any case much easier than a lot of other European or US mega hubs.
DL flights are often parked directly at the Terminal 2E (Gates K). Going to 2F from there takes like 5 minutes after you have passed immigration.
If your flight is parked at the « Gates L » or « Gates M » Concourse, you will just have to take the automatic train to reach the main 2E Terminal, which just takes an additionnal 5 or 10 minutes at the most (trains run every 2 or 3 minutes).

The only annoying problem at CDG is luggage delivery, which can take a looooong time.
But if you are in Transit, you don’t have to pick up your luggages (unlike when transiting in the US...) as they are automatically transferred to your connecting flight.

mcg
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks again for all the info. Our inbound DL flight seems to usually park at Hall M, so train to 2E will be the route. I'm actually starting to get more nervous about our return to the United States from Paris as it seems the journey from the RER train station to baggage check, passport control, security and to the gate in Hall M may be quite time consuming. Solution is simply to leave the hotel early enough.

Thanks again.

blandy62

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 am

1.5 hour transit is adequate on the paper. If everything runs smoothly you are fine.

However don't forget lots of things can happen with the RER and in Paris in general: strike, broke train... so I would take a bit more buffer if I were you.

ubeema

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 am

mcg wrote:
Thanks again for all the info. Our inbound DL flight seems to usually park at Hall M, so train to 2E will be the route. I'm actually starting to get more nervous about our return to the United States from Paris as it seems the journey from the RER train station to baggage check, passport control, security and to the gate in Hall M may be quite time consuming. Solution is simply to leave the hotel early enough.

Thanks again.

Use ADP for a full range of transportation options in and out CDG
https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/access