Chuska
Topic Author

American Express Skyguide ceases publication

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 pm

Just got a postcard from American Express saying that they will no longer publish the Skyguide after the December, 2018 issue. Like probably many of us, I have relied on the Skyguide for many years to keep up with new or discontinued routes and especially with equipment types used on routes. Enilria does a fantastic job with keeping up with the OAG changes but the report does not differentiate between mainline and regional flights operated by each carrier. I'll now subscribe to the pocket OAG. Please share other thoughts.

jetblueguy22

Re: American Express Skyguide ceases publication

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Carriers do so many add/cuts these days I can't imagine it is very easy or really worthwhile to track all the changes on paper. Especially because it's essentially out of date by the time it gets printed.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Chuska
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Most of the time its pretty accurate. It has been getting quite thick however, especially the November issue with all the day-to-day changes around Thanksgiving.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 pm

Sad that they are stopping that, I depend on it as well when I’m places without cell service or internet.

Is there another company that does print out versions?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

RJNUT

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm

I am devastated.

OAG pocket guide does not show Allegiant flights and possibly a few others, but I'll have tor try it out.

enilria

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Chuska wrote:
Just got a postcard from American Express saying that they will no longer publish the Skyguide after the December, 2018 issue. Like probably many of us, I have relied on the Skyguide for many years to keep up with new or discontinued routes and especially with equipment types used on routes. Enilria does a fantastic job with keeping up with the OAG changes but the report does not differentiate between mainline and regional flights operated by each carrier. I'll now subscribe to the pocket OAG. Please share other thoughts.

Thanks

If I were making money on this I’d do a seats version and an operator version and a foreign version. But too much for me to do gratis...

I was an OAG guy since 9 years old, but I don’t know how much longer their paper copy will continue. With the complexity of schedules now anything that’s not electronic is not very accurate.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:33 pm

Are their any other subscriptions like the American Express skyguide that are still around and have all the airlines (North American based)?

jaybird

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 pm

Been using the OAG since the mid-1960s. The Eastern Airlines Sales Office in Hartford would save them for me - I would go every month to pick-up the new copy!

PVD757

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Had both OAG and Skyguide for years. Went with just Skyguide for the past year or so due to OAG not showing certain city pairs below a certain number of weekly flights or seats. SG was great when traveling and no cell service was available as mentioned above. OAG has a schedule Alerts product that shows any all changes but its big bucks. Maybe they will consider a consumer version with affordable prices?

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 pm

PVD757 wrote:
Maybe they will consider a consumer version with affordable prices?

Your right, it’s very overpriced considering it doesn’t even have all the flights.

BatonOps

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:26 pm

I've been getting Skyguide for years. It is a shame to see it go.

Trk1

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:34 am

Will really miss. It has been most helpful on weather delay problems--giving the complete picture. When On a plane that is late can check all airline possibilities in an instant--that cannot be done on line.

knope2001

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:09 am

Anybody know the rough cost of the Pocket OAG? I dumped it year ago in favor of Amex Skyguide as superior in several ways.

It's not so much that I use it frequently as a traveler anymore, but it's irreplaceable for historic detail. Sources like T100 don't tell you when flights operated such as prime hours or off hours, banked for connections or scattered. Plus for a lot of us there's pleasure to reading a printed schedule, and one can get a broad picture much more quickly and easily with paper versus online inquiries.

I'm surprised how unfriendly the OAG site is -- unless I'm missing it the only way I can subscribe is to call someone. I agree with Enilria one wonders how long OAG will continue to print. I would have definitely been willing to pay more to keep Skyguide rolling but perhaps not enough people would have been so willing.

It's not that I really need every month but it would be good to just keep a handful of copies per year for reference.

crownvic

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 am

From what I recall, this was sold by Amex quite sometime ago and was no longer affiliated. It is currently owned by Time Inc. and Affluent Media. Regardless, this is severe loss to those of us that use it. Even aviation enthusiasts that spent hours looking at OAGs, timetables and the SkyGuide have now lost another outlet of the hobby. Most are not going to subscribe to the OAG, because of the cost. Another casualty of our electronic world. How disappointing :(

crownvic

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 am

So I finally got my card in the mail today announcing the discontinuation of the publication. There is a number to call that is simply a recording saying that the SkyGuide will no longer be published and there is no way to speak to anyone. I really don't get it. Raise the price if you are not making a profit. The next alternative (OAG Pocket Guide) is nearly 3x the cost.

zrs70

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:55 am

I remember when skyguide first came out. In fact, I still have the original. Can always liked you so much more than the official airline pocket guide. OAG listed flight but “To” rather than “From.”

skyguide also always included major international destinations.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

RJNUT

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm

this company in Vancouver BC sells OAG products and others. Its not on their webpage but they were willing to sell single issue of World Wide OAG, but NOT cheaply, like $230 USD per issue. I may just buy two per year and call it gourmet.

http://www.newconcepts.ca/home.php