I was just reading an article about United’s
basic economy seats that stated passengers in these seats are unable to
use the overhead bins

This seems like a new low in the steady
deterioration of standards for the budget
traveler

My question is, do flight attendants
actually enforce this ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

dmstorm22

Re: ‘No access to overhead bins’ for basic Economy

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:18 am

This was advertised as part of the deal from the beginning.

I personally have never seen a flight attendant enforce it, but very often by the time BE boards (w/ Group 5), the overhead bins are close to full anyway.

UPlog

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 am

Your fellow passengers enforce it.
Basic economy board absolutely last so overhead space is gone. Additionally gate agents will monitor baggage for this group of customer.

n471wn

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:24 am

Avoid flying United basic economy at all costs—it is living hell. Our travel agent screwed up and my wife and I were put into basic economy on a 737-900 of UAL from SFO to IAD. The arm rests are locked and do not go up and it is so tight in those seats you cannot move a muscle. I have taken over 1,000 flights in my lifetime and this was the worst flight of my life. I will never fly United again and if any of my kids fly them I will disown them! They have no respect for human dignity!

Amsterdam

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:27 am

n471wn wrote:
Avoid flying United basic economy at all costs—it is living hell. Our travel agent screwed up and my wife and I were put into basic economy on a 737-900 of UAL from SFO to IAD. The arm rests are locked and do not go up and it is so tight in those seats you cannot move a muscle. I have taken over 1,000 flights in my lifetime and this was the worst flight of my life. I will never fly United again and if any of my kids fly them I will disown them! They have no respect for human dignity!

Lol

I will disown them haha

stlgph

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:30 am

"This seems like a new low...."

It's called **BASIC ECONOMY**
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

smokeybandit

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 am

n471wn wrote:

Maybe you need a new travel agent

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:35 am

n471wn wrote:

Oh boo hoo. I doubt a travel agent is unaware of basic economy. Like everyone else in basic economy, you went for the cheapest fare and now we all have to hear about it.

cpd

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 am

Max Q wrote:
I was just reading an article about United’s basic economy seats that stated passengers in these seats are unable to use the overhead bins.

This seems like a new low in the steady deterioration of standards for the budget traveler.

My question is, do flight attendants actually enforce this ?

I think it's great - should also be accompanied by more surly/grumpy service too. If any of them try to put baggage in the overhead bins, the bags should be confiscated and destroyed.

I'm going to actually suggest it to United, I reckon there is a good chance they'll actually do it. I wonder what other mean and nasty things I could persuade them to do.

BTW, your post formatting is all over the shop. I've fixed it in the quote.

jetmatt777

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 am

n471wn wrote:

Just so you’re aware, there are no basic economy seats. In theory you could end up in Economy Plus on a BE fare. Unlikely, but possible. In fact my last flight I purchased Basic economy fare and the computer assigned me an exit row window.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

alex0easy

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:49 am

DL and AA's basic economy used to be like this as well: no carry ons.
I think they do allow carry ons now, leaving UA as the only no carry on basic economy in the US3.

Aeroflot001

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am

The more negative things I heard about basic economy on United the more curious I was to try it.
I had a wonderful experience, and this was my first time on United as well.

RSW-EWR-RSW was $187 in BE vs. $237 and I figured I would rather use those $50 for going out in NY/NJ.
This was also a plus since I just moved to Fort Myers from MIA in January and had never used RSW before despite being a south florida native.

This was 2 months ago so I was able to pack a 4 day weekend backpack (to the brim, but everything fit).
Check in at the Kiosks was a breeze (you cannot check in online unless you are checking bags). RSW is a breeze especially at 6AM.
I was assigned a window seat near the back of the A320, I waited to be the last person to board and once on board and at my seat I placed my rather full back-pack in the overhead compartment instead of under the seat. The FA saw me do this and did not care since the flight was not full and I was last to board anyway. On the return flight the situation was the same except I received an aisle seat instead of a window seat.

ScottB

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:58 am

alex0easy wrote:

Nope. DL's Basic Economy never excluded carry-ons. I believe that was a United "innovation."

spacecadet

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:03 am

Max Q wrote:
This seems like a new low in the steady
deterioration of standards for the budget
traveler

Well... I never cheer when standards in travel drop, but "budget travelers" are by nature going to have to put up with some inconveniences due to the fact that they, ya know, *spend less money*. I guess that might sound elitist, but travel isn't an innate right to begin with (humans used to be stuck for life in the same ~100 square mile area, after all), and the fact that the airlines keep figuring out ways to make it cheaper for the "budget traveler" seems to me like something that those who are really on a budget would be in favor of.

I mean, if you don't want to worry about overhead space, you can spend the little bit extra on regular economy, or if you *really* don't want to worry about it, you can pay a bit more than that for Economy Plus. The nice thing is that these days there are options in the lower priced tiers.

But if you're spending the absolute least amount that you can, then you can't really complain that you're getting the absolute least amount of service and amenities. This wouldn't have been true even 5-10 years ago, when the only options in many cases were either regular economy with its shrinking seats and lack of food, or first class for way more money, but at this point you pretty much do get what you pay for. And it only takes a small amount more money to rid yourself of indignities like lack of access to overhead space.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 am

I think it’s kind of ridiculous, it seems like United is trying to make

premium economy
and the

elevated price they charge

for this cabin an offer ‘you can’t refuse’ by making

travel in basic economy such a miserable experience
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Beardown91737

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:39 am

Did UA Y- on DFW-TUS and the IAH-TUS segments were on E175. No need to pay for a seat selection because all seats are either window or aisle. I always check one bag so no big deal about carry on. Unfortunately the IAH-DFW segments are on those 737s with the Spirit-like seat pitch and not nearly as comfortable as the E-jets.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

FA9295

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:50 am

alex0easy wrote:
I think they do allow carry ons now, leaving UA as the only no carry on basic economy in the US3.

Yep. And this article states that even though the pressure of United's rivals AA and DL don't have this policy (with AA recently dropping it), United still has no plans to change it anytime soon... https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 668820002/
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

77H

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 am

n471wn wrote:

There is no special seat for basic economy at UA. I’m 5’11” and I have no problem in the standard economy seats at UA. Is it not ideal but it’s not the doom and gloom you make it out to be. Some seats don’t have retractable arm rests for one reason or another but it has nothing to do with the Econ- product.

Beyond that, if you’re willing to disown your children flying a certain airline I think there are biggest issues at play than your IAD flight.

77H

mattnrsa

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:35 am

The flight attendants do not know who is on a Basic Economy ticket. Only the CSR boarding the flight will see Boarding Group 5 on your boarding pass. Once on the plane, nobody will know.

There is no restriction against using the overhead bins. There is a restriction on the size of what you carry on but, once on the plane, you can place whatever you want in the bins (if there is space left).

If you purchase ticket with a Mileage Plus credit card you can check a bag for free, bring a full-size carry on, and board with Boarding Group 2, even on a Basic Economy ticket.

The seat you will be assigned is the same as the other seats on a plane. There is no separate cabin.

flipdewaf

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:01 am

Flying ord-lhr in May with AA I was told that I had to check my carryon.

I had checked in online and was rebooked from BA to AA after BA flight went tech the day before. I didn’t even realise that Y- was a thing and a few of the gate people were surprised as they didn’t know they did Y- across the Atlantic. It was odd because it was free to check the bag in?

When looking for flights for family to Florida AA basic economy included carryon.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff1947

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:46 am

smokeybandit wrote:
n471wn wrote:

Maybe you need a new travel agent

What’s a travel agent ? Do you really still have them ?

Geoff

PatrickZ80

Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:12 am

Max Q wrote:

Of course, it's supposed to be that way. Their intention is that you experience it once and the next time you pay more for a better experience. And that's what they're after, you pay more. They don't make money on your basic economy trip, but they do next time you fly.

Here in Europe it's a bit better, most legacies still offer quality on their flights and even the LCCs aren't too bad. It's all worse in America.

MIflyer12

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Here in Europe it's a bit better, most legacies still offer quality on their flights and even the LCCs aren't too bad. It's all worse in America.

I would encourage you to take ten flights in DL/AA/UA Basic Economy and ten flights on intra-Europe Ryanair, EasyJet... Compare seat pitch and service fees. Delta gives you a snack, beverages, a carry-on, and AVOD. It won't make you pay for a boarding pass at the airport.

IPFreely

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:00 pm

n471wn wrote:
Our travel agent screwed up and my wife and I were put into basic economy on a 737-900 of UAL from SFO to IAD. The arm rests are locked and do not go up and it is so tight in those seats you cannot move a muscle.

Please -- as others have posted, there are no "basic economy" specific seats. Basic economy fares can be any economy seats. And nobody locks the armrests for the seats sold as basic economy. When you exaggerate and/or make stuff up, it makes not just this post, but all of your posts, non-credible.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:12 pm

n471wn wrote:

Have you tried hitting a Gym?

PatrickZ80

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

I would encourage you to take ten flights in DL/AA/UA Basic Economy and ten flights on intra-Europe Ryanair, EasyJet... Compare seat pitch and service fees. Delta gives you a snack, beverages, a carry-on, and AVOD. It won't make you pay for a boarding pass at the airport.

Seat pitch on Ryanair is actually really good, better than on some legacies. I've often flown Ryanair and I never had any complaints about legroom. EasyJet isn't too bad either.

Free snacks and beverages, I'm sure those aren't included in basic economy and as said, on United a carry-on isn't included either. Allright, neither are those things on Ryanair (carry-on is still free on EasyJet). Snacks and beverages are buy-on-board which isn't too bad since even when you add them up to the ticket price it's still cheaper than a ticket on a legacy that includes those things for free. Carry-on on Ryanair isn't free, but isn't very expensive either. United charges far more than Ryanair for basic economy passengers who want to bring a large carry-on on board.

A boarding pass at the airport really isn't needed, I always check-in online and use my phone as a boarding pass. Can apply for a boarding pass whenever and wherever.

RamblinMan

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Seat pitch on Ryanair is actually really good, better than on some legacies. I've often flown Ryanair and I never had any complaints about legroom. EasyJet isn't too bad either.

Free snacks and beverages, I'm sure those aren't included in basic economy and as said, on United a carry-on isn't included either. Allright, neither are those things on Ryanair (carry-on is still free on EasyJet).

I wouldn't be so sure...because you are completely incorrect. Cabin service is the same for basic economy. If there is a beverage, snack, or meal service, regular economy and basic economy receive the same thing. IFE...same deal. Seats...exact same, the only difference being that in basic economy you don't choose your seat, the computer does.

It's amazing how much misinformation exists on this forum.

global2

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Really? British Airways expected me to pay money for a drink of water.

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:03 pm

global2 wrote:

I said most legacies, that doesn't include British Airways which is arguably the worst legacy airline in Europe.

global2

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
global2 wrote:

I said most legacies, that doesn't include British Airways which is arguably the worst legacy airline in Europe.

Then I guess you'd need to include IB since they're in the same family, and I think my experience on them was similar.

IAHFLYR

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Beardown91737 wrote:
Did UA Y- on DFW-TUS and the IAH-TUS segments were on E175. No need to pay for a seat selection because all seats are either window or aisle. I always check one bag so no big deal about carry on. Unfortunately the IAH-DFW segments are on those 737s with the Spirit-like seat pitch and not nearly as comfortable as the E-jets.

You mean the two (and that's a maybe) Boeing flights a day with all the rest of them E170/75's? UA does not have different seat pitches for specific routes, what you get on an IAH-DFW leg in Row 21 is the same you'd find on a IAH-SEA leg in Row 21.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

737mnn

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Even worst than LCC in Asia I believe like AirAsia, jetstar etc.

Mortyman

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Norwegian is a class act compared to this … :wave: