PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Best Karma While Flying Stories

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:08 am

Secular humanist here looking for stories of good karma to you or others whom you have helped. Please include stories where you felt connected to the universe in some way, as that's all a part of this!

My two stories to share, in chronological order:

STORY #1:January, 2002: my friend Keith had just moved from San Diego to Atlanta (his hometown) right before 9/11. Bought a ticket to come see him on USAirways via Pittsburgh both ways for $211 (I don't know why I remember that, but it was significantly cheaper than anyone else, including Delta).. On the Friday evening of Martin Luther King Weekend, I arrived for my red-eye flight only to find that the morning PIT-ATL was cancelled, and there was no way to rebook me on any of their flights. Switched me over to Continental lickety-split, and now I'm checking in for a completely different airline - and realizing very unexpectedly that I'm going to be very close to Ground Zero and Manhattan, barely four months prior.

Got on the plane (middle seat, but I couldn't have cared less at that point!), and the pilot announces that "because of the jetstream, we're going to be flying at extremely fast speeds. An enormous tailwind is going to make me leave the seatbelt sign on as a precaution for the entire flight, but I figure most of you want to sleep anyway, so just be aware". Take-off was at 9:30 PM. The plane was quiet, turbulence was mild, and before I knew it, we were on final approach. Local time was 4:45 AM. Coast to coast in four hours and fifteen minutes.

Walked off the plane before 5 AM to find that EWR at that hour is VERY sleepy. Absolutely nothing was open, and I'm sure I appeared as zonked as everyone else. Like the small group of weary travelers I became a part of, wandering around looking desperately for the precious nectar of hot coffee, we all seemed to find a Burger King open that was opening, The cashier was having problems, and so the line came to a standstill. Given the break in movement, I looked to see who was behind me, and it was a late teen/early 20's young man with piles of food on his tray. We were standing side by side, with him on my right, and could see him literally falling asleep where he stood. Twice he woke himself up. Obviously the end of a long and exhausting day of being vigilant, he was running on fumes and had a young man-sized appetite.

When it was my turn at the cashier, I told her, "I'm paying for his as well". Well, that turned his head! He tried to protest, but I said, "it's my way of saying thank you for keeping us all safe". He graciously accepted, and was off on his merry way. I proceeded to my gate and took my seat: 8F. Window, right, unobstructed.

And we took off on runway 4R. Nine hours before I wasn't anywhere physically or mentally near New York City, and now here I am, getting an clear and unobstructed look at the site. I saw the place where I had eaten at Window on the World once (1987) and where I had been in the Observation Deck (1987, 88, 93). The buildings were gone. It was a lot more real than I thought it would be.

I arrived at ATL and went to retrieve my luggage, and mine was the first bag out. Well, didn't I just feel special?

Actually, when you combine the suddenness of the change with the unexpected location, feeling like you are needed at a particular time and place for something, and then getting a wink from the universe to know that this mind-trip you just experienced is over, it felt like a Twilight Zone episode.

STORY #2:

Cue the zany button, because 2002 was a year for me with unexpectedness...

A friend of mine in San Diego told me one day, "I'm subletting an apartment in Manhattan - come stay with me for free!" You don't have to ask me twice - I'm good to go! This time American San Diego - Chicago - Newark, and my first time taking New Jersey Transit (LOVE IT!) All good on the outbound, but the return was cheapest with three-and-a-half hours in Chicago. Another friend of mine lives there with his flight attendant husband, but friend has a gate pass. We agree to meet at O'Hare behind security between my flights. I arrive at EWR only to find my "on-time" flight isn't even at the gate. In fact, it said, "on-time" twenty minutes after departure. Finally an announcement is made that the flight is 90 minutes delayed. No problem for me! And no plane for us either after 90 minutes. Nothing. Finally we are put on another flight to Chicago and join the conga line of what looks to be every Boeing and Airbus product ever made lining up for take-off. Another delay. Finally airborne, we take the long way over central Ontario, and arrive in ORD and taxi to our gate.

The flight attendant tells everyone that, "one person still has a chance to make his connection, so he gets off first. Run!!" And I did, arriving at the gate...to see my departing flight, well, departing...

My first thought: "Well, my luggage wouldn't have made it!". Oh well...what to do, what to do...well, what you're supposed to do: find a gate agent and rebook me! So I found the monitor for departing flights, and oh, look! The next flight to San Diego is leaving in an hour and a half - let's get over to that gate, shall we?

As I'm giggling to myself about how very slapstick this story is I'm about to relate to the gate agent when my reverie is interrupted by a very irate man. He was obviously very frustrated, and although not threatening, he was just very mad. She was unable to help him, and he eventually left. She called me up, and asked, "can I help you?", and I replied, "I certainly hope so!" as humbly as I could.

I related to her the seemingly endless delay after delay after delay in getting to ORD, and then watching my connecting flight depart without me. I finished with, "is there anyway you could find me a seat to San Diego this evening?" Totally expressionless, she looks in her computer and says, "hmmm...looks like the next flight is pretty full! Oh, wait - here's a seat!"

Now, in a split second, this was an MD-80, so I am envisioning 4+ hours in the very last row, next to the engines, in the middle seat of three, no recline, and squeezed between two people. Well, yeah, for what I paid for that ticket (virtually nothing), I'd take it gladly. But in that split second it took to form that thought, out came my new boarding pass: 6E. I blinked a couple of times, processing the thought of, "did she really just upgrade me?", and then another coupon was printed out - a $15 food voucher. "Go have dinner on us. NEXT?!"

OMG...Totally scored a free first class upgrade. It was SO worth being delayed!!

I've got lots of great stories, but those are two most-connected-to-the-universe stories. I look forward to hearing all of yours!

Flyingdevil737

Re: Best Karma While Flying Stories

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Don’t know if this fits the bill, but......

Earlier in the year, I toured Malaysia with a concert band for 10 days. At the end, most of the band flew back to Australia and a few of us, including me, stayed on in Singapore for 2 days.

At the end of the 2nd day we got into minibuses and made for Changi Airport.

When we were checking in, it came up that there were not enough seats on the plane, so I got bumped (very, very annoying at 8:30pm).

I was sat there at check in for an hour with my suitcase and instrument on my lap (heavy). The 10:30pm flight was also full, so I was given a free dinner voucher and $1000 and FINALLY booked onto the 12:30 flight.

I watched on FR24 as my friends left and noticed that an A350 was operating my flight.

At 12:00 I made my way to the gate, the only thing keeping me awake was the prospect of getting on an A350.

I got to the gate only for it to be a 777, which was annoying.

Because I missed my flight, I also missed my connection to HBA I was rebooked onto Qantas.
In MEL, my QF 737 went tech at the gate so I was moved to the next one.

In the end, I got on a silveroo Livery (my favourite) with the new interior AND I got to go up to the cockpit after landing at HBA.

Not so bad getting delayed then?....
The thunder from Down Under

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:09 am

Flyingdevil737 wrote:

Earlier in the year, I toured Malaysia with a concert band for 10 days. At the end, most of the band flew back to Australia and a few of us, including me, stayed on in Singapore for 2 days.

When we were checking in, it came up that there were not enough seats on the plane, so I got bumped (very, very annoying at 8:30pm).

I was sat there at check in for an hour with my suitcase and instrument on my lap (heavy). The 10:30pm flight was also full, so I was given a free dinner voucher and $1000 and FINALLY booked onto the 12:30 flight.

I watched on FR24 as my friends left and noticed that an A350 was operating my flight.

At 12:00 I made my way to the gate, the only thing keeping me awake was the prospect of getting on an A350.

Because I missed my flight, I also missed my connection to HBA I was rebooked onto Qantas.

In the end, I got on a silveroo Livery (my favourite) with the new interior AND I got to go up to the cockpit after landing at HBA.

That's EXACTLY the kind of story I was hoping for! And $1000 to ride on a different airplane...but I totally get the A350 thing - I don't know if I could hide my enthusiasm from an agent if I got bumped to one of those!!

Thanks for sharing!

EricAY05

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Flyingdevil737 wrote:

That $1000 (no matter what dollar that is) for a couple of hours of extra travelling is ridiculous! Lucky you :)

Flyingdevil737

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 pm

EricAY05 wrote:
Flyingdevil737 wrote:

That $1000 (no matter what dollar that is) for a couple of hours of extra travelling is ridiculous! Lucky you :)

It was $1000 Singapore dollars.

A few more model planes then..... ;)
The thunder from Down Under

ExpatVet

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Got upgraded to business class on a BA 747 in 2000, I gave up a window seat so a family could sit together. Wasn't expecting it, I was handed a new boarding pass and realized 'gee, that's a really small number!'

'oh yes, we've put you in business class, is that all right?'

Yes. Yes, it was all right. SEA-LHR, ten and a quarter hours of decadent luxury.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

conaly

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:06 pm

In early August this year, I was booked on Lufthansa NUE-FRA-GRU. It was that day, when in Frankfurt terminal 1 has been evacuated, as one family apparently went through security without proper checking (or similar). I was still at home when I received the message, that my flight NUE-FRA was cancelled, even though FRA-GRU was not. I tried to contact LH and ask if they could at least keep the second booking open as I already bought an upgrade to premium eco for that flight and did not want to risk a downgrade on the next day. In that case I would have gone by rental car. But before I could reach anyone at the hotline I received another message which said that I've been rebooked for the next day. Luckily my premium eco upgrade was still valid but unfortunately the feeder NUE-FRA in the evening with a connection time of about 2 hours was already fully booked so I had to take the afternoon-flight at 2PM and wait for 8 hours in FRA. Hotline did offer a flight with Swiss via Zurich and departure at later time, but this one I thankfully refused, because Swiss has no premium eco. So I took the afternoon flight and went to the biz-lounge to wait the said 8nhours for boarding. Boarding started, so I went to the gate (that was one of the lounges with direct access to the gate). When I scanned my boarding pass the system just showed "NEW SEAT". My first though "god, please no!" as the last time I had this, I got a really shitty seat instead the one I booked. This time however: seat 6K in Business class! HELL YEAH! A wasted day at the airport was more than compensated by nice flight where I could sleep most of the time in a nice flatbed seat.
Airports 2018: ADB, ALG, CAI, DAC, DEL, DUS, FRA, GRU, HAM, HAU, HND, IST, KTM, LYS, MUC, NUE, OSL, PKR
Planned: QSF
Cancelled: Lukla :/