Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aic97
Topic Author

Future Level long haul destinations

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm

What destinations do you guys see level adding from its hubs BCN and ORY? Do you see any new hbs being added?
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed

RainerBoeing777

Re: Future Level long hau destinations

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:28 pm

I see a very big potential in BCN-PTY

nascar1

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:32 pm

I could also see BCN-NRT/YUL/NYC/BOG

aviator2000

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

But does this route have enough demand?

Lvl97

Re: Future Level long haul destinations

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I could see BCN - MEX if AM doesn't decide itself

LUKAS10

Re: Future Level long haul destinations

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:31 pm

To open a direct LH route from BCN requires a very strong demand. MAD is ideally located to catch all the LatAm-BCN traffic, and I guess IB would not let them eat their piece of cake.
A direct route to PTY makes no sense as the demand between both cities is not strong enough - on the other hand, IB can fill its planes with many transit passengers originating in BCN. IAG needs to be very careful regarding the LEVEL network planning as they most probably don't want to trash the IB yields.

J4YC3

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

http://barcelonalinks.org/files/links/links_54_Info%20Latin%20America%202017.pdf

PTY's management wants it, but O/D between Panama and Barcelona isn't strong enough to sustain it (the numbers don't even show up on the map, which means less than 23k pax/year), so either CM codeshares with Level or it won't happen until they get their own wide-bodies.

nascar1 wrote:
I could also see BCN-NRT/YUL/NYC/BOG

http://barcelonalinks.org/files/links/links_53_Info%20North%20America%202017.pdf

YUL is already served by AC and TS seasonally, if the route was profitable year round they would be already doing it. That being said, they're expanding their summer operations next year if I remember correctly, so little by little it might end up happening eventually. Still, adding a 3rd airline would only hurt that market, there are only 21k indirect pax/year left to pick up.

NYC is the same situation, but against DL, AA, UA and DY at the same time. There are definitely still enough indirect passengers (147k pax/year) and possible new demand at both ends to sustain another airline, though. Might happen.

BOG works for AV in good part thanks to connecting flights to the rest of Colombia (83k pax/year). Same situation as PTY, even if the indirect O/D market is much bigger (40k pax/year means what, 2x weekly at best? I don't see it)

So that leaves NRT.

http://barcelonalinks.org/files/links/links_50_Infografia%20Asia%202017.pdf

262k indirect pax/year between BCN and Japan, 182k just counting TYO, and yet no one has opened a BCN-NRT route yet.

"That's because BCN's yields are in the toilet, it's a low-cost destination after all!" Cry the usual suspects.

ICN was in the same situation years ago, and now there's 8x weekly flights combined between KE and OZ. I say give it time; NH did a few charter flights this summer, that's how those two started. Better them than Level, that's for sure.

As for my opinion...

http://barcelonalinks.org/files/links/links_42_Infografia%20General%202017%20V2.pdf

Other than adding more frequencies to their current routes, I'm not sure there's much left for them to expand from BCN without code-shares at the other end. Maybe seasonal flights to BKK, HAV or SDQ. DEL too, but I could see 6E starting that one whenever they get the A321LR or those wide-bodies they're always teasing. Or year-round MEX if AM ends up not staring it. Code-sharing with Y4 and VY at each end might prove quite successful.