Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kruiseri
Topic Author

U.S. Exit row regulations

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:31 pm

I just flew on AA and was seated on an exit row.

What stroke me really odd, was that all the other passengers on exit rows had their handbags stored under the seat in front of them. In every airline I’ve flown in Europe, that is a big no no, the cabin attendants go to extreme lengths to make sure that the floor on the exit row is clear of stuff during take off and landing, and I understand the reasoning behind that policy really well if there ever is an evacuation.

Appararently that is not the case in the U.S. ? Oddly enough, they did announce that the floor on row 8 (first main cabin row after the First Class bulkhead) must be kept clear of belongings...

WNCrew

Re: U.S. Exit row regulations

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:57 pm

If your question is: Are there any US regulations regarding the stowage of items in the Exit Rows; no not specifically so long as they are stowed just as they would be at other rows. That being said, some US carriers have had a policy to not allow floor-stowage but it's not addressed in the CFRs.

As for the bulkhead row, that is regulated in that if there isn't under-seat stowage accessible from the bulkhead row (eg under the FC seats) and the bulkhead is a fixed structure, then all items have to be stowed overhead as nothing can be simply "on the floor".

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm

I cannot remember consistently as I don't usually fly exit rows, but on my last DL flight they said no bags stowed under the seat on the emergency exit rows.

Cory6188

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Not related to exit rows, but a similar thing I've noticed on non-US airlines is the policy to keep window shades open on takeoff and landing. I've never heard a US carrier say anything about it (and a lot of the time, particularly in the summer, all of the window shades are closed when you board and they ask pax to close them when you pull into the gate).

citationjet

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Related to exit row requirements, some aircraft have you throw the exit door out of the aircraft while other aircraft instructions say to place it inside on a seat. Not sure what dictates this difference.

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Cory6188 wrote:
Not related to exit rows, but a similar thing I've noticed on non-US airlines is the policy to keep window shades open on takeoff and landing. I've never heard a US carrier say anything about it (and a lot of the time, particularly in the summer, all of the window shades are closed when you board and they ask pax to close them when you pull into the gate).

HA wants window shades up for takeoff and landing and are pretty insistent (though, not surprisingly given their ethos, not rude) about it.

Ziyulu

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm

I actually brought up the window shades policy to the FAA and their response was that having window shades open is indeed safer, but currently there is no requirement for airlines to have such a policy.

IADCA

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm

You're looking for 14 CFR 121.285(d)(4):

"...[Carry-on baggage] is not located in a position that obstructs the access to, or use of, any required emergency or regular exit, or the use of the aisle between the crew and the passenger compartment, or is located in a position that obscures any passenger's view of the “seat belt” sign, “no smoking” sign or placard, or any required exit sign, unless an auxiliary sign or other approved means for proper notification of the passengers is provided."

In my experience on UA, this means an FA walking through and making sure all the exit row under-seat bags are actually underneath the seats.

jrkmsp

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:31 pm

IADCA wrote:

"...[Carry-on baggage] is not located in a position that obstructs the access to, or use of, any required emergency or regular exit, or the use of the aisle between the crew and the passenger compartment, or is located in a position that obscures any passenger's view of the “seat belt” sign, “no smoking” sign or placard, or any required exit sign, unless an auxiliary sign or other approved means for proper notification of the passengers is provided."

In my experience on UA, this means an FA walking through and making sure all the exit row under-seat bags are actually underneath the seats.

Delta has started requiring exit row passengers to unplug headphones from monitors during takeoff and landing — so that they wouldn't impede an evacuation.

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 pm

IADCA wrote:

Yup. I've never really understood the logic of asking that exit row passengers not store bags under seats. In a rapid deceleration in an accident, bags will want to move forward relative to the fuselage, so it seems like if there is to be any ban on underseat storage around exit rows, it ought to be on those behind the exit row, not those in it.

USAirALB

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 pm

I've never sat in an exit row seat on a foreign carrier, but one thing I've always wondered is that do other airlines have FAs come around before departure to brief passengers?

I know AA has both automated announcements and visual IFE announcements onboard their fleet highlighting exit row seating requirements.

Feroze

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:40 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I've never sat in an exit row seat on a foreign carrier, but one thing I've always wondered is that do other airlines have FAs come around before departure to brief passengers?

Yes.

They will also move passengers who do not fit the legal age, mobility and dexterity requirements.

burnsie28

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
I cannot remember consistently as I don't usually fly exit rows, but on my last DL flight they said no bags stowed under the seat on the emergency exit rows.

There is no such Delta policy, if the exit row are bulkheads then it follows that same regulations.

johns624

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:26 pm

I've never understood why exit rows can't have reclining seats. I'd think it would be more important that the row in front of the exit row not have it so that a reclined seat isn't blocking the exit row.

klm617

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 pm

My issue is why are these seats able to be purchased as extra legroom seats. I don't want my safety compromised because someone paid extra to sit in that seat without fulfilling the criteria of being able to handle an emergency. Of course the person sitting there is going to say yes they paid to sit in that seat. Those seats should be assigned at the gate where the gate agent can see who they are assigning these seats to or reserved only for dead heading crew members

klm617

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Feroze wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Yes.

They will also move passengers who do not fit the legal age, mobility and dexterity requirements.

Sorry I've seen some pretty big people in the exit rows that purchased a seat with extra space maybe they could but I think they would hinder the escape process rather than expedite it and the flight attendants said nothing.

cofannyc

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 pm

johns624 wrote:
I've never understood why exit rows can't have reclining seats. I'd think it would be more important that the row in front of the exit row not have it so that a reclined seat isn't blocking the exit row.

I've never seen an airline configure an aircraft where the exit row didn't recline if there was no exit behind. I've only seen this config:

2 overwing exits
Row in front of exit 1 - no recline (as exit behind)
Exit row 1 - no recline (as exit behind)
Exit row 2 - recline (as no exit behind)

UALFAson

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 am

klm617 wrote:
My issue is why are these seats able to be purchased as extra legroom seats. I don't want my safety compromised because someone paid extra to sit in that seat without fulfilling the criteria of being able to handle an emergency. Of course the person sitting there is going to say yes they paid to sit in that seat. Those seats should be assigned at the gate where the gate agent can see who they are assigning these seats to or reserved only for dead heading crew members

I would bet that most exit-row seats are occupied by elite-level frequent flyers who snatch them up complimentary versus random travelers paying extra for the privilege.

Also, don't forget that most exit-row seats have immovable armrests because the tray tables are in the armrests. So while there is some amount of extra legroom, I would think that most passengers of size would not want to sit in those seats because they are not able to spill into the adjacent seats. I am of average build and I even hesitate to book exit row seats on longer flights because I don't like being confined into a box.

gatibosgru

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 am

USAirALB wrote:

I know AA has both automated announcements and visual IFE announcements onboard their fleet highlighting exit row seating requirements.

My last exit row flight was on EI from CDG-DUB and the FA came over and spoke to us about the all the requirements and procedures. My roommate requires a seatbelt extender and they removed him from the exit row saying those were not allowed on exit rows. Not sure if this reflects throughout the aviation industry, but it was new to me. They also required a verbal confirmation, just like US airlines.

bgm

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 am

Cubsrule wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Yup. I've never really understood the logic of asking that exit row passengers not store bags under seats. In a rapid deceleration in an accident, bags will want to move forward relative to the fuselage, so it seems like if there is to be any ban on underseat storage around exit rows, it ought to be on those behind the exit row, not those in it.

Have you ever been in turbulence before? Stuff gets thrown about everywhere. This is why virtually EVERY country except the US requires that baggage be kept clear from the exit rows because it would impede an evacuation.

Even by using your metric, we say that luggage only moves forward: If there are 2 exit rows, then the luggage in the 2nd row would move forward and block the escape pathway for the 1st row.

And for the window shades open during takeoff and landing: they need to be open for 2 reasons: firstly, to adjust your eyes to the bright light outside (if it's daytime). Secondly, it's so the FAs (and pax) can visually identify any dangers outside (fire, obstructions) that would impact evacuating from that part of the aircraft. What if there was a fire outside, but all the blinds are closed so you wouldn't see it?

And don't get me started on the 'briefing' they give to passengers on operating the emergency exits. 'Need a verbal confirmation' (followed by pointing at the pax in the exit rows). Nothing else. Bet most of them sitting there wouldn't have a clue what to do in an emergency.

Absolute madness.

Cubsrule

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 pm

bgm wrote:
Have you ever been in turbulence before? Stuff gets thrown about everywhere. This is why virtually EVERY country except the US requires that baggage be kept clear from the exit rows because it would impede an evacuation.

Turbulence that causes bags to come out from under seats? No. The far more common scenario is bags slidiing a bit on takeoff or landing, but a passenger paying even a little attention can rectify that quickly and easily. It's hardly a safety concern.

bgm wrote:
And don't get me started on the 'briefing' they give to passengers on operating the emergency exits. 'Need a verbal confirmation' (followed by pointing at the pax in the exit rows). Nothing else. Bet most of them sitting there wouldn't have a clue what to do in an emergency.

My experience is that US carriers - whose briefings vary a little carrier to carrier - are about in the middle of the pack as far as worldwide comprehensiveness of the briefing. AF is one big non-US carrier who tends to be especially cursory.

bgm

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Turbulence that causes bags to come out from under seats? No. The far more common scenario is bags slidiing a bit on takeoff or landing, but a passenger paying even a little attention can rectify that quickly and easily. It's hardly a safety concern.

Wrong. I have witnessed it personally flying AA and DL during turbulence. It clearly is a safety concern for the rest of the world, who deemed it necessary to prohibit bags in the exit row.

Cubsrule wrote:
My experience is that US carriers - whose briefings vary a little carrier to carrier - are about in the middle of the pack as far as worldwide comprehensiveness of the briefing. AF is one big non-US carrier who tends to be especially cursory.

Regarding AF, I agree - that's been my experience too. Doesn't really inspire confidence, does it? Next time you board your flight, look at the folks at the window emergency exits and ask yourself if you think they've truly read the evacuation card and are prepared to quickly and safely open those hatches....

ChrisKen

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 pm

klm617 wrote:
Feroze wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Yes.

Sorry I've seen some pretty big people in the exit rows that purchased a seat with extra space maybe they could but I think they would hinder the escape process rather than expedite it and the flight attendants said nothing.

The following aren't allowed to sit in exit row seats (UK)
Infants
Passengers with infant on lap
Under 16's
Those with impaired mobility.
Pregnant Women
and those who require a seat belt extender.

Hand baggage must be placed in the overhead for take off and landing. ie not allowed under seat in front.

bgm

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 am

ChrisKen wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Feroze wrote:

Yes.

The following aren't allowed to sit in exit row seats (UK)
Infants
Passengers with infant on lap
Under 16's
Those with impaired mobility.
Pregnant Women
and those who require a seat belt extender.

Hand baggage must be placed in the overhead for take off and landing. ie not allowed under seat in front.

Those are the regulations for almost every country except the US, it's pretty standard.