Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Bad habits when staying in hotels

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Does anyone have any bad habits when staying in hotels or lodgings?

One of mine is that I strip the bed once I have finished my stay and put the clothes in the laundry basket or on the floor. Any bits that I don't use are left on the bed. Plus, occasionally empty the bins.

The habit came from staying at my grandmother's in my youth. Plus, when I stay in a bed & breakfast, I feel that when I am staying in someone else's house and even when I paying for cleaning charge, it is someone's house and one has to be respectful.

trpmb6

Re: Bad habits when staying in hotels

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:29 pm

I had a really bad experience with a hotel recently because I failed to do something I always do.

Normally whenever I leave the room I ALWAYS put the do not disturb sign up. I don't care to have my room turned over and I feel like it's a waste of someone else's time and money to do so when i'm just going to sleep in the bed again.

But on this specific occasion we were staying at a hotel while visiting family at a lake cabin. And we decided to take our luggage with us so we had clean clothes available and our swimming gear, diapers, sunscreen etc. Took everything with us because we may need it. No big deal right? Wife said "should we put the tag up?" I said, "nah, what's the harm, we aren't leaving anything behind so let them turn it over and we can get clean towels." (clean towels would be nice given how dirty the two boys were after playing at the cabin all day). Go to the cabin, have fun all day. Return a little after 9PM. Walk up to our room and we can hear the front desk lady whispering to someone else (didn't think much of it at the time). Get to our room and the key cards aren't working. Tried several times. Then we hear muffled voices on the other side of the door. I look at my wife "I think they gave our room away, lets go have a chat to see if we can get another one". Sure enough, gave our room away because, "house keeping said there wasn't anything left in the room so we assumed you checked yourself out."

We were livid. To top it off they didn't have any more vacancies. Obviously, since they had to give our room away (That we had paid for already by the way!). Ended up taking my father in law's room and we got all the rooms in our block comped. So the manager who gave away our room for a hundred bucks that night ended up costing them a little under a thousand dollars after all the rooms were comped. I guess we can't complain that much given that aspect of it.

Tugger

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't of it as a bad habit, just something I do as rule: When ever I leave the TV is always on and at a volume that can be heard at the door. NOt so loud as to be heard in other rooms, just at the door.

I guess it is similar to the "do not disturb" sign but I just want to keep people away with a simple tool.

Tugg

FlyingColours

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
One of mine is that I strip the bed once I have finished my stay and put the clothes in the laundry basket or on the floor. Any bits that I don't use are left on the bed. Plus, occasionally empty the bins.

That's not a bad habit, far from it in fact. My Fiancee is the Head Housekeeper at a hotel and does this too to help out and having helped out for a few months myself it certainly does help speed things up for the housekeeping team (who usually have between 18-25 minutes to clean the entire room depending on the company involved).

This isn't a bad habit but when I was crew it certainly was a habit of mine, to simply take the notepad & pen and write the name of the hotel, city and country I'm in so should I wake up in the middle of the night I wouldn't run the risk of panicking thinking "where the heck am I?" Oh the joys of nightstopping, Oh how I miss that :/

Phil
FlyingColours

dfwjim1

Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:07 pm

No bad habits here but I have thought it would fun to stay in a five star hotel and then completely trash the living quarters. Maybe one day when I have enough disposible income to both rent the room and pay for the cleaning and/or damages. LOL

NIKV69

Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 pm

No bad habits and always throw housekeeping a redbird. They will get you all the towels you need.

T18

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Not mine but, it seems a common one is stealing everything not nailed down.

fr8mech

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:35 am

I eat and drink in bed. I never do that at home.

Flighty

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:06 am

Using the dresser is a guarantee that you will leave your clothes behind. I put an iPad in the nightstand drawer, for security. Obviously I forgot it and housekeeping owned a nice iPad the moment I checked out. This being NYC, and a sub-5 star hotel they denied everything. “I’m sorry you feel that way” was what I got. Didn’t have the energy to call up NYPD over it.

As a general good practice, I triple check the entire room for forgotten items upon leaving. There are always several forgotten items.

SkyflyerYYZ

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 am

Although I know how dirty the floor is, I still go barefoot in hotel rooms.

casinterest

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:01 am

I drink beer while watching TV in the bed. Even when on a 5 day business Trip, I usually still leave everything in the suitcase.

Jouhou

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 am

smallvoyageur wrote:
Does anyone have any bad habits when staying in hotels or lodgings?

The habit came from staying at my grandmother's in my youth. Plus, when I stay in a bed & breakfast, I feel that when I am staying in someone else's house and even when I paying for cleaning charge, it is someone's house and one has to be respectful.

That's not a bad habit, that's just being considerate to housekeeping.

Ken777

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:35 am

I often take the soaps because they are generally pretty good and I can't get them in the stores.

On the sided of good habits I like to leave a tip for house cleaning.

I like the idea of leaving the sheets in a pile to save housekeeping a few minutes. I'll take great pleasure telling my wife, who insists of almost totally making the bed before leaving.

seb146

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 am

Not a bad habit but I always look for the Bible and phone book.

The brosband always makes the bed before we leave. I have never understood it. He tried to explain it once and, now, I just let it go.

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:15 am

T18 wrote:
Not mine but, it seems a common one is stealing everything not nailed down.

I think we all do that, my mum once took the pillowcases from our room. Nice pillowcases, and they lasted years.

I have know people take the batteries from the remote, now that's extreme!

dfwjim1 wrote:
No bad habits here but I have thought it would fun to stay in a five star hotel and then completely trash the living quarters. Maybe one day when I have enough disposable income to both rent the room and pay for the cleaning and/or damages. LOL

If only, I notice that a lot of places now, on purpose choose the cheap yellow tag items from IKEA to decorate the room. So that if they get trashed, it is not a big worry.

FlyingColours wrote:

This isn't a bad habit but when I was crew it certainly was a habit of mine, to simply take the notepad & pen and write the name of the hotel, city and country I'm in so should I wake up in the middle of the night I wouldn't run the risk of panicking thinking "where the heck am I?" Oh the joys of nightstopping, Oh how I miss that :/

Phil
FlyingColours

I know that some hotels in popular stag (bachelor) cities like Prague, Bratislava and Riga give out business cards to their guests so when they are drunk, they can find their accommodation if they get pick up by the boys in blue.

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 am

Leaving good cigars behind. FS Midtown NYC looking at you. Someone got 3 Davidoffs.

Yflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Ken777 wrote:
I often take the soaps because they are generally pretty good and I can't get them in the stores.

It kind of annoys me how the housekeeping staff will often throw out the soap when it's only been used once. It just seems so wasteful. Which leads us to my "bad habit": If I'm staying at a hotel for multiple nights, I hide the soap when I go out for the day. That way the housekeeper a) won't throw the soap away and I can use it again, and b) will leave me more soap which I take home with me.

Seabear

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Liberating towels, slamming doors, talking way too loud in the hallway.

dfwjim1

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Reading the various posts on this thread has anyone been charged by a hotel (on their credit card) for "missing" items?

WarRI1

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:27 am

So I do not make anyone upset about their habits, I will not tell you how I act in hotel rooms, but I will guarantee it is cleaner when I leave than when I arrived.

vatveng

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:36 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Reading the various posts on this thread has anyone been charged by a hotel (on their credit card) for "missing" items?

No, but I have seen a disturbing trend of hotels charging an upfront fee of between $50-100 per stay as a "security deposit" that is supposed to be refunded after you check out. The disturbing part is that I usually have to call them a week later demanding the promised refund.

pwm2txlhopper

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:09 am

Smoking in the no smoking rooms. I only do it in the bathroom with door closed. I stand on the tub or toilet rim and hold my cigarette directly up to the ceiling vent, while also slowly exhaling directly into it. I let very little secondhand smoke escape into the bathroom. I leave not a single ash, and no evidence of smoking in the trash. I run the room's AC fan at full blast to pull out any limited smoke that escapes the bathroom.

When my girlfriends with me, I have her scent test the room each day after we come back from the day out. She nevers smell any smoke. Ever. And she's super sensitive. Hates tobacco smoke.

I know I shouldn't, but it's hard to find a decent hotel with a smoking room these days. It's a huge hassle to be going outside every twenty minutes.

I've been in about 60-70 3-4 star level hotels over the last five years and have never been busted and billed a $250 cleaning fee.

So, my method must work? No smell, no tell!

zrs70

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:24 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

I was once charged by a very fine hotel in Thailand. (It may have been the Penninsula or Four Seasons - one at that level) - for taking their robes. They simply sent me an email with the charge to my credit card.

But I didn’t take the robes.

I was livid, and sent the manager a curt and direct email.

They removed the charge.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 am

my bad habit would be that i'm cheap.

one of my kids accidentally took a pillow, thinking it was his. i was billed 40.00, i found the pillow and mailed it back. no way was i paying 40.00 for a cheap hotel pillow. Nowaday
the shipping would be more than the pillow. This was 20 years ago. i've also, taken diet coke from the mini fridge and replaced it with hotel lobby machine bottle. to save 3.00 I also take the bedspread off the bed, and sleep with just the sheets, and a blanket i brought from home, not because i'm germ a phobic, but because my travel blanket is so comfy and i don't think they dry clean the bedspread very often.

also when staying at airbnb, i'm a total weirdo. i wash all the sheets and towels, and make the beds. i'm sure they wash and make them all over.

i also detail the refrigerator, and make the place look cleaner than when i arrived. I can't change, i am like that at home as well, can't leave for a trip unless my
house is spotless. My car, is totally different, it's a little messy and i don't care.

Airstud

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:21 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I stand on the tub or toilet rim and hold my cigarette directly up to the ceiling vent, while also slowly exhaling directly into it.

Sounds like more of an ordeal than quitting.

spacecadet

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:13 pm

I don't think I have any "bad" habits but I know my wife and I annoy the heck out of the cleaning staff because we don't keep to their schedule. We usually stay in hotels at least 5 nights at a time (so we make ourselves at home), we stay close to where we're going and we're afternoon/evening people (well, I am, but my wife is too when we travel), so we almost never leave our room before 11am or noon. Then, since we're usually doing things very close by, we often come back repeatedly throughout the day. We treat our hotel room as a base or hub that we go back to for various reasons in between destinations.

So the cleaning staff have to wait for us to leave before they can start, then half the time we barge back in on them before they're finished. They're always nice but it's obvious that they hate it.

We like to stay at "serviced apartments" when possible because we can live more like we normally would. But we only manage to find a decent deal near where we're staying about 1/4 of the time; usually we end up staying in regular hotels with a cleaning staff that wants to clean our room at like 8AM. No way we're getting up that early on our vacation.

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:21 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I also take the bedspread off the bed, and sleep with just the sheets, and a blanket i brought from home, not because i'm germ a phobic, but because my travel blanket is so comfy and i don't think they dry clean the bedspread very often.

I don't want to make you squeam but on Buzzfeed some hotel workers openly admit that they do not wash at all the bedspread or the bed drapes. They also mention that the dirtiest part of the hotel room is the remote as it can't be washed or put any disinfectant spray (eg Lysol) on it and it could have any hands on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0gwPwtXLjI

spacecadet

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 am

smallvoyageur wrote:
They also mention that the dirtiest part of the hotel room is the remote as it can't be washed or put any disinfectant spray (eg Lysol) on it and it could have any hands on it.

The remote can easily be cleaned with disinfecting wipes, and I have witnessed this happening many times (see my post above).

You can always bring your own too, if you're worried about it. If I go to a cheap hotel, I often bring my own and wipe down any surfaces a person would be likely to touch (like doorknobs, faucet handles, etc.).

26point2

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:56 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
Smoking in the no smoking rooms. I only do it in the bathroom with door closed. I stand on the tub or toilet rim and hold my cigarette directly up to the ceiling vent, while also slowly exhaling directly into it. I let very little secondhand smoke escape into the bathroom. I leave not a single ash, and no evidence of smoking in the trash. I run the room's AC fan at full blast to pull out any limited smoke that escapes the bathroom.

When my girlfriends with me, I have her scent test the room each day after we come back from the day out. She nevers smell any smoke. Ever. And she's super sensitive. Hates tobacco smoke.

I know I shouldn't, but it's hard to find a decent hotel with a smoking room these days. It's a huge hassle to be going outside every twenty minutes.

I've been in about 60-70 3-4 star level hotels over the last five years and have never been busted and billed a $250 cleaning fee.

Non-smokers can still smell your cigarette long after you’ve left. It’s foul. The minute I walk into a room smelling of smoke I turn right around and head for the front desk to get a different room. What you may not realize is that the smell of stale smoke gets absorbed into the clean clothes so until they are washed my clothes will smell of stale smoke. Most good hotels (Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton) in the US are entirely non-smoking for a good reason. Las Vegas hotels were the worst years ago but even this has improved.

I spend a lot of times at hotels and I have no bad habits but I will share a few bad habits I see of other guests....

Talking loudly in the hall at early morning hours. This happens often at airport hotels when people are leaving to catch an early flight.

TV on too loud in the next room. You can’t be more than 10’ from your TV, why so loud?

Kids running up and down the hall and the parents who allow this.

Guests arriving for the free breakfast barefoot.

And of course smoking in the non-smoking hotel. Probably the worst offense.

VSMUT

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:24 pm

I once got inspired by an article with some recipes for improvised cooking in your bedroom, and fried some chicken with the iron and boiled some sausages in the kettle :duck: Only did it once though, and cleaned it absolutely spotless afterwards.

Listening to very loud music (mostly metal) on my EFB.

Pulling the plastic coverings off the mattress, since they make you all sweaty and ruin your sleep.

Keeping the no-cleaning sign on the door for many days in a row. Reduces theft, but also makes it more filthy by the time I check out.

Eating on the bed.

Using both beds in a 2 single bed room.

Bringing food in from outside. Chips and burgers quickly get real boring, and hotel restaurants are so unimaginative. Sometimes if I stay in one place for a long time, I take out all the stuff from the minibar and replace them with stuff brought in a supermarket. When leaving I put back the hotels' own drinks. I do however take care never to take out stuff that needs to stay refrigerated.

Taking my room-towel to the pool, even if they say I have to get a specific pool-towel at the reception for a deposit. My company pays big bucks for me to stay there, I use whatever towel I feel like. I often lack the local currency needed for the deposit anyway. Never stole a towel from a hotel though.

Bringing used soap and toiletries with me. It's going to be thrown out anyway, and I hate those hotels where they only give you liquid soap for everything. Also, after the first month or so I start running out of supplies brought from the start of the trip.

Intercontinental leaves some very nice packets of cocoa in the kitchens of the apartments, I always stuff my pockets with those.

KentB27

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:56 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I had a really bad experience with a hotel recently because I failed to do something I always do.

Normally whenever I leave the room I ALWAYS put the do not disturb sign up. I don't care to have my room turned over and I feel like it's a waste of someone else's time and money to do so when i'm just going to sleep in the bed again.

But on this specific occasion we were staying at a hotel while visiting family at a lake cabin. And we decided to take our luggage with us so we had clean clothes available and our swimming gear, diapers, sunscreen etc. Took everything with us because we may need it. No big deal right? Wife said "should we put the tag up?" I said, "nah, what's the harm, we aren't leaving anything behind so let them turn it over and we can get clean towels." (clean towels would be nice given how dirty the two boys were after playing at the cabin all day). Go to the cabin, have fun all day. Return a little after 9PM. Walk up to our room and we can hear the front desk lady whispering to someone else (didn't think much of it at the time). Get to our room and the key cards aren't working. Tried several times. Then we hear muffled voices on the other side of the door. I look at my wife "I think they gave our room away, lets go have a chat to see if we can get another one". Sure enough, gave our room away because, "house keeping said there wasn't anything left in the room so we assumed you checked yourself out."

We were livid. To top it off they didn't have any more vacancies. Obviously, since they had to give our room away (That we had paid for already by the way!). Ended up taking my father in law's room and we got all the rooms in our block comped. So the manager who gave away our room for a hundred bucks that night ended up costing them a little under a thousand dollars after all the rooms were comped. I guess we can't complain that much given that aspect of it.

I once had my hotel room given to somebody else while I was in it! I was just watching tv when I heard the unmistakable noise of a key card going into my room's door. I thought, "hmm, they must be trying the wrong door", but sure enough, the key card lets them in and they come barging right in. Thankfully, it ended up just being my coworker so it wasn't as awkward or dangerous as it could have been had it been a stranger but you should have seen how huge his eyes got when he saw me in that room. We were both pretty livid with the situation. The front desk got a pretty stern talking to from both of us.

bagoldex

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 am

vatveng wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

No, but I have seen a disturbing trend of hotels charging an upfront fee of between $50-100 per stay as a "security deposit" that is supposed to be refunded after you check out. The disturbing part is that I usually have to call them a week later demanding the promised refund.

At most hotels there's a $50-$200 per night authorization so they aren't caught with their pants down on charges beyond the price of the room like food and beverage, room service, parking and possible loss. It typically drops off automatically in a few days but sometimes can stick around for a week. In 250+ hotel stays I've never had to call to ask for a refund. Are you using a debit card instead of a credit card?

vatveng

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 am

bagoldex wrote:
vatveng wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

At most hotels there's a $50-$200 per night authorization so they aren't caught with their pants down on charges beyond the price of the room like food and beverage, room service, parking and possible loss. It typically drops off automatically in a few days but sometimes can stick around for a week. In 250+ hotel stays I've never had to call to ask for a refund. Are you using a debit card instead of a credit card?

No, I'm not talking about the authorization for "incidentals". This is new, and it's a per-stay charge, not per-night. And it's an actual charge, it shows up as a line-item on the bill and is reflected in the amount charged to my credit card. The first time it happened, the refund showed up the day after I checked out. But the other times, I have had to call the corporate number to have the charge refunded. I should note that this has only happened at franchise-owned hotels, not corporate-owned hotels. This is probably just the latest in a long list of franchisee shenanigans that the corporate brand owner doesn't authorize or (officially) condone.

SCQ83

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 am

Flighty wrote:
As a general good practice, I triple check the entire room for forgotten items upon leaving. There are always several forgotten items.

That is my only habit in hotels. That usually means somehow "cleaning" the room. For instance, I would put all the trash in a single place (a garbage bin), or all the blankets / duvet in a sofa or a side of the bed, or all the used towels in the bathroom in the same area to check that I don't forget anything in a desk, the bathroom or in the bed.

bagoldex

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:37 am

vatveng wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
vatveng wrote:

No, I'm not talking about the authorization for "incidentals". This is new, and it's a per-stay charge, not per-night. And it's an actual charge, it shows up as a line-item on the bill and is reflected in the amount charged to my credit card. The first time it happened, the refund showed up the day after I checked out. But the other times, I have had to call the corporate number to have the charge refunded. I should note that this has only happened at franchise-owned hotels, not corporate-owned hotels. This is probably just the latest in a long list of franchisee shenanigans that the corporate brand owner doesn't authorize or (officially) condone.

Odd. I haven't experienced that one. Can't say it surprises me though. Has it been specific to one brand/chain?

alggag

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 am

bagoldex wrote:
vatveng wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

Odd. I haven't experienced that one. Can't say it surprises me though. Has it been specific to one brand/chain?

I've never experienced it either despite frequent hotel stays. Recently I stayed at a hotel in Germany and upon checkout the desk agent was reporting difficulty with cancelling the hold. I made sure to save all the receipts expecting having to call them and my bank back at a later date to get it straightened out but was pleasantly surprised to see that they had managed to clear it up by the time I got back home to the USA.

johnboy

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:59 am

Was my bad habit too bad for the forum? I mean ripping out the parts of the Bible that are anti-gay doesn’t sound bad to me. In fact it positively makes me giddy. And just because someone suggests deletion doesn’t mean I don’t do it.

Some people here. :roll:

bgm

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:05 am

johnboy wrote:
Was my bad habit too bad for the forum? I mean ripping out the parts of the Bible that are anti-gay doesn’t sound bad to me. In fact it positively makes me giddy. And just because someone suggests deletion doesn’t mean I don’t do it.

Why do they have bibles in every hotel room in the US? It's creepy.

evank516

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:04 pm

My worst habit is really keeping the Do Not Disturb Sign on my door for too long. I'm a late sleeper when I don't have to wake up so I'm always missing my chances for housekeeping to come into my room.

Yflyer

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:54 pm

bgm wrote:

Because a group called Gideons International leaves them there.

ojjunior

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 am

Long showers?

bagoldex

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 am

bgm wrote:
johnboy wrote:

The Book of Mormon at Marriott properties is even creepier.

bagoldex

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 am

bgm wrote:
johnboy wrote:

The Book of Mormon at Marriott properties is even creepier.

BartSimpson

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 am

KentB27 wrote:

I once had my hotel room given to somebody else while I was in it! I was just watching tv when I heard the unmistakable noise of a key card going into my room's door. I thought, "hmm, they must be trying the wrong door", but sure enough, the key card lets them in and they come barging right in. Thankfully, it ended up just being my coworker so it wasn't as awkward or dangerous as it could have been had it been a stranger but you should have seen how huge his eyes got when he saw me in that room. We were both pretty livid with the situation. The front desk got a pretty stern talking to from both of us.

I had this experience the other way round. I swiped the key card through the sensor, opened the door and saw ONE pair of naked feet dangling from the bed. I returned to the lobby, reported and was given another room.

That's OT, because I can't really tell anything about bad habits, except for taking the little shower gel tubes with me. And eating in bed.

teachpdx

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 am

I’ve seen non-hotel guests sneak into the breakfast room before. Seems actually super simple to do...
And I have also had my room double-booked. The couple coming into my room got an eyeful, and the manager got an earful. Needless to say, that stay ended up free.

dfwjim1

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 am

teachpdx wrote:
I’ve seen non-hotel guests sneak into the breakfast room before. Seems actually super simple to do...
And I have also had my room double-booked. The couple coming into my room got an eyeful, and the manager got an earful. Needless to say, that stay ended up free.

I was in Sao Paulo, Brazil recently and at my hotel a staff member was checking ID at the entrance to the breakfast room. I wish hotels in the United States would do that.

Bernard Shakey

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:04 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:

I haven't posted in years here, but just wanted to let you know that this will eventually go wrong. Like it did for me when I set off the fire alarm resulting in a full hotel evacuation, fire department response, the whole show. It was back in the 80s, early in the non-smoking transition of public places, and I was pretty young - so nothing happened to me beyond embarrassment (probably because I came clean immediately and identified myself as the source of the alarm allowing the situation to quickly end). Nowadays, I'm sure it would have meant arrest and public shaming via the interwebs. As a result, I have been a regular in the designated smoking areas ever since. Oftentimes, if you tell the front desk that you smoke and request a ground floor room, they will accommodate you, Ground floor cuts the time it takes to go burn one way down. People already hate us, so if we at least go hide in our designated cage, they'll ignore us.

vhtje

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
I drink beer while watching TV in the bed. Even when on a 5 day business Trip, I usually still leave everything in the suitcase.

Ha! I do the opposite: I fastidiously unpack, even if it is just for one night. Why? Because it is easier to find things, is less unsettling (for me, anyway) and it forces me to repack my suitcase.

It does mean that I have to be careful and check every drawer and cranny three times before I leave.

vhtje

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:33 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:

That is about the most self-absorbed and selfish thing I have read in a long time. You can't smell it, but I guarantee others can. I hope you get caught one day, and soon. If you need your nicotine hit so badly, why not just go downstairs to the designated smoking area?

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 am

vhtje wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:

That is about the most self-absorbed and selfish thing I have read in a long time. You can't smell it, but I guarantee others can. I hope you get caught one day, and soon. If you need your nicotine hit so badly, why not just go downstairs to the designated smoking area?

The thread was about bad habits in hotels? Was it not?

Going outside gets to be a hassle when you need to smoke every 15 minutes. And I'd wager my methods work, otherwise I would have been billed a smoking fee by now. And my girlfriend would have definetly smelled it if there was odor in the room. Hard for the smoke to stick to the curtains, furniture, etc when it's all being sucked up the restroom vent and the bathroom door is closed, confining any escaped smoke to be sucked up the vent.

If I get caught and billed $250, I'll pay it. That will come out to a few dollars for each room I've ever smoked in. Small price to pay. They can do what they need to do.