Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClipperClub
Topic Author

AA - MIA Spanish only Boarding Announcements - FRUSTRATING !

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Fellow Anet Folks - Opinions Please

Is it a reasonable expectation for a US Citizen, traveling on AA, at a US airport to be able to understand boarding announcements ?

Reason why I ask. Last week I was a customer on AA from MIA - CLO, the gate agent made only announcements in Spanish. After the first announcement PAX began to line up at the counter, not understanding what this was for, I approached and asked that the announcements be made in English so i can understand them.

The agent was not impressed, but he did make the next announcement in English.

KLDC10

Re: AA - MIA Spanish only Boarding Announcements - FRUSTRATING !

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:04 pm

That's a perfectly reasonable expectation. Even in a Spanish-speaking country, one would expect to hear English announcements given that English is the recognized "international language".
I'm not sure what this agent was thinking, or whether he was trying to make a point of some sort, but you should really send a complaint to AA.

Judge1310

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Oh...here we go...

gatibosgru

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Yeah I think it should be in both languages, not one. Is this a common occurrence or a one time issue?

Cubsrule

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Obviously I wasn't there, but I can't remember the last time I didn't hear English announcements in a Spanish speaking country, even in small places like PMC, so it's hard for me to believe this story about MIA unless the agent was trying to make some sort of point.

flyguy89

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Could have just been a simple oversight. I wouldn't read too much into it unless it's something you experienced consistently, but indeed even on flights I've been on between two non-English speaking destinations there's almost always announcements made in English as well just because it's such a common second language.

ACCS300

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Even on a short domestic sector in Spain last May, MAD - SVQ ( Seville ), Iberia Express, all announcements were made in English and Spanish.

sw733

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Very reasonable expectation. I have flown MIA to various Spanish speaking destinations many, many times (Santo Domingo, Mexico City, Panama, Bogota, Montevideo, Lima, and one or two others) and can’t remember ever hearing only Spanish. I would be shocked if I did.

aircatalonia

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Here we usually get an announcement in Spanish followed by a very fast uncomprehensible message in "English".
Last edited by aircatalonia on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SCQ83

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm

On a recent flight between Germany and Palma de Mallorca on Eurowings announcements were made in German only. I have flown quite a few other times with Eurowings (even domestically in Germany) and I couldn't recall not hearing announcements in English. I found it odd but realistically speaking probably everybody but me on that plane was German or spoke German fluently. Likely Miami-Cali (which is not a tourism/business destination for Americans) is overwhelmingly Colombians so they understand Spanish.

KLDC10

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:41 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
On a recent flight between Germany and Palma de Mallorca on Eurowings announcements were made in German only. I have flown quite a few other times with Eurowings (even domestically in Germany) and I couldn't recall not hearing announcements in English. I found it odd but realistically speaking probably everybody but me on that plane was German or spoke German fluently. Likely Miami-Cali (which is not a tourism/business destination for Americans) is overwhelmingly Colombians so they understand Spanish.

That's a bit odd, given that Eurowings is attempting to position itself as a pan-European airline - in which case announcements should always also be provided in English alongside German.

At the other end of the extreme is KLM. On many intra-Europe flights, announcements are made only in English.

maverick4002

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:46 pm

ClipperClub wrote:

Is it a reasonable expectation for a US Citizen, traveling on AA, at a US airport to be able to understand boarding announcements ?

Reason why I ask. Last week I was a customer on AA from MIA - CLO, the gate agent made only announcements in Spanish. After the first announcement PAX began to line up at the counter, not understanding what this was for, I approached and asked that the announcements be made in English so i can understand them.

Maybe they made the announcements in Spanish first and then were going to in English. I find it very very unlikely that they would make Spanish only announcements so I am going to guess your issue was that Spanish was first eh.

janders

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Franky does not bother me too much.

Its a flight between MIA a city where the majority of the population speaks Spanish and Cali Colombia which means the bulk of passengers will be an ethnic crowd.

Sure yes English as a secondary announcement would be appropriate, but using Spanish as the primary communications method seems logical to ensure understanding buy bulk of customers.

asdf

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:21 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
At the other end of the extreme is KLM. On many intra-Europe flights, announcements are made only in English.

well, the dutch and such are used to use english in their daily life
they are only a few million inhabitants
even most movies on the television are not translated in their nativ language and they are used to watch them in english with dutch subtitles only

LAXintl

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:27 pm

In practical terms making primary Spanish announcements with smaller or secondary English one seems fine on this flight.

Here at LAX, I hear Spanish only announcements all the time for carriers like Interjet, Volaris, TACA etc. They might make a single English announcement but bulk of the repeated ones are in Spanish since that works best for the clientele.

dfwjim1

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:00 pm

I fly out of MIA a few times each year and I have always heard gate announcements first in English and then Spainish. Interesting thing is last week I flew MIA-GRU and all announcement at the gate were in English with nothing in Portugese.

Wayfarer515

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 pm

IMHO, this is totally unacceptable, being a Central American myself I find it pretty disrespectful for this to happen...but then again this is Miami we are talking about...nobody ever asked them to adopt the local language and customs, which resulted in a bizarre and pretty decadent combination of the worst of both Anglo-American and Latino cultures. I guess this shows Fidel had very good reasons to kick them out of Cuba, guess time always proves who was right.

hhslax2

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Living and flying out of Miami for most of this year, I've found quite a few instances where English announcements were not made. Most of the time it was just to update the passengers on a delay or the boarding process, since it was Spanish speaking customers making inquiries. I have yet to encounter a situation that pertinent information was not also given in English.

hhslax2

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Wayfarer515 wrote:
IMHO, this is totally unacceptable, being a Central American myself I find it pretty disrespectful for this to happen...but then again this is Miami we are talking about...nobody ever asked them to adopt the local language and customs, which resulted in a bizarre and pretty decadent combination of the worst of both Anglo-American and Latino cultures. I guess this shows Fidel had very good reasons to kick them out of Cuba, guess time always proves who was right.

Let's try to keep this civil. I know a few Cuban immigrants down here that left Cuba decades ago. They all speak grammatically correct English.

obelau24

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Could it be the agent was making an announcement that only concerned Spanish-language passengers? Working at Korean there are tons of announcements specific for Koreans because Koreans are the predominant passenger and also the predominant target for certain announcements like “please do not line up until the boarding announcement” or “Paging for Mr Park Hee Young to the service counter.” Just throwing this out there.

Miamiairport

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm

As someone that lives in MIA Ive never heard Spanish announcements only. Probably just a one off for whatever reason.

rivervisual

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:59 pm

I think the issue is that this was at an airport in the US. So perfectly reasonable to expect announcements in English regardless of where the flight was going.

I've been on many flights outside of the US where English was not used but I didnt have an expectation that it would. I just went to the gate and let them know I didnt speak the language and if there was anything I needed to know to call me over.

Airstud

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:22 am

KLDC10 wrote:
you should really send a complaint to AA.

You mean because the guy promptly made the announcement in English when the OP asked him to? :sarcastic:

ahj2000

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:52 am

really? I've heard English every time out of MIA (and really everywhere-even domestic in places like Peru where it wouldn't necessarily seem like they would have to.

KLDC10

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Airstud wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
you should really send a complaint to AA.

You mean because the guy promptly made the announcement in English when the OP asked him to? :sarcastic:

No, I mean because it's the typical lack of consistency that AA has become known for in recent years. It's not a difficult job to do properly, and the OP shouldn't have had to ask. Heck, I recently took a Lufthansa domestic German flight from FRA-TXL and they made announcements at the gate in English as well as German.

s4popo

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Probably a one-off but not really surprised.

This is the same city that this occurred in...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... e1f227c35a

flymia

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Never had this happen before in my 100+ flights on AA out of MIA. Very odd.

max999

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 pm

ClipperClub wrote:

I think you're being overly sensitive to a one off occurrence based on the tone of your rant and on the fact you wrote frustrating in all capitals. It may have been an oversight. Unless you've observed this happen consistently at MIA, don't be the boy who cried wolf.

directorguy

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:32 am

I have heard of this sort of thing before happening in Florida and in the states that border Mexico. A lot of "Dial 1 for Spanish, and 2 for English" type phenomenon.
Out of interest-is there anything that would legally AA to make announcements in English? Are there official languages at the federal or state level? Are there any protocols (IATA or otherwise) that regulate what languages should be used by airlines?

Airstud

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am

directorguy wrote:
I have heard of this sort of thing before happening in Florida and in the states that border Mexico. A lot of "Dial 1 for Spanish, and 2 for English" type phenomenon.
Out of interest-is there anything that would legally AA to make announcements in English? Are there official languages at the federal or state level? Are there any protocols (IATA or otherwise) that regulate what languages should be used by airlines?

Couldn't tellya about IATA stuff, but there are no federally official languages in the United States. It's a touchy subject.

Some states have declared official languages and some states (Louisiana, namely) recognize a non-English/Spanish language as a lingua franca.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages ... ted_States