Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mike89406
Topic Author

Helsinki trip recommendations

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 pm

I plan on visiting Helsinki Finland in early October since I have vacation days that need to be used. I actually traveled there last year for a couple of days, and had a lot of fun albeit it was a short trip.
That all said I was wondering what are some sites to check out during the day, and coffee shops. I also want to check out the nightlife, and I’m told the Kampii district is a good area to do that. What’s better pubs or nightclubs? What are the best days of the week/weekend to experience the nightlife during October?
Lastly any restraunts or food worth trying? Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Mike

B747forever

Re: Helsinki trip recommendations

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:04 am

While I don’t have any tips on what to do in Helsinki, but like most of Northern Europe, October is not the best time to visit. Expect cloudy days and rain! While they days will be shorter, at least you will be there during early October, so more than a few hours of daylight!

Mike89406
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 am

I’m aware it won’t be real busy since tourist season has been over by then. Then again I’m going when it’s mostly locals and experience the culture. Thanks for the heads up.

paullam

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 am

If I went there in October I’d probably spend most of my time in Finnish saunas considering the bad weather.

ChrisKen

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 am

paullam wrote:
If I went there in October I’d probably spend most of my time in Finnish saunas considering the bad weather.

No such thing as bad weather, just bad/inappropriate clothing.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 pm

paullam wrote:

:lol: good one.

johns624

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
paullam wrote:

Isn't that the truth. I live in DTW and always hear people complaining how cold it is at 20*F while wearing a hoodie or light fleece. I have my down jacket on and am toasty.

B747forever

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:34 am

johns624 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
paullam wrote:

Isn't that the truth. I live in DTW and always hear people complaining how cold it is at 20*F while wearing a hoodie or light fleece. I have my down jacket on and am toasty.

Even if you have proper wear on, it is still hard to have a good time outside in 20F weather. That is why I love LA and its sunny 70-75F winter days. Rarely is the weather a limiting factor.

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am

B747forever wrote:
Even if you have proper wear on, it is still hard to have a good time outside in 20F weather. That is why I love LA and its sunny 70-75F winter days. Rarely is the weather a limiting factor.

For Helsinki 20 degrees Fahrenheit isn't that cold, it's only just below freezing point. By the way, in Europe (and that includes Finland) we're using Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. 20 degrees Fahrenheit is about minus 7 degrees Celsius. The sunny LA temperature's you're speaking of are about 21 ot 24 degrees Celsius, a rare treat in Helsinki even in the summer. In the winter temperatures of minus 30 degrees Celsius (minus 22 Fahrenheit) can be experienced. In october it's not that cold yet, however depending on the weather you could have minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 Fahrenheit).

For those who didn't know, Celsius is based on water. Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100 degrees Celsius, therefor it's a very easy system.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 am

When I visited last October it was 40-48F on average. I was fine with 2 layers during the day a shirt and a long sleeve shirt or sweater & coat on top at night. It was a little damp at times kinda reminded me of a mild Seattle winter with one day of clear skies.
It was colder in Spokane than Helsinki because I made a stop there just before traveling across the pond.

OlafW

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:37 am

ok, now that we figured out the weather, what to do in Helsinki?
- You will most likely arrive at Helsinki main station as that connects the airport to the city nowadays. Bus is also an option, but takes quite long.
- Standard for me is taking a trip to Suomenlinna. The fortress lies on an island about 10 minutes from Helsinki harbor(marketplace (Kauppatori). You can get there easily by ferry, tickets are 2,20€ or so in the public transport system of Helsinki (HSL). Note: JT-Line ferries are quite close to the HSL-ferries, but are not included. The HSL app is very easy to use and will save you trouble with ticketing machines.
- While you are at Kauppatori, have a look at the old market hall, Vanha Kauppahalli. Fresh fish and finnish foods are to be found here and absolutely worth trying. Also, directly on Kauppatori, there will be food stands selling small fish fried whole, which are also worth trying. Most other stands there are selling standard touristy stuff.
- From Kauppatori a little to the northeast you will find the Uspenski Cathedral, the largest Orthodox Cathedral in Western Europe. Just south of it at the harbor, there is a ferris wheel with a sauna cabin if you need some warmth.
- North of Kauppatori are Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko) and the Government Palace, surrounding Senaatintori.
- Going back to the station, or coming from there, have a stop at Karl Fazer Café. Fazer is one of the most famous chocolate producers in Finland and in this place you will notice why.
- Park Esplanadi is a place where you will see lots of Finns enjoying the last rays of sun if it comes out.
- A little to the northwest from the station you will find the parliament building, the Finnish National Museum, Finalandia music hall, Temppeliaukio church (yes, another one, but built into the rock and partially underground, it's definitely worth seeing), and a little further out the Sibelius monument, a piece of art that looks nice, but I fail to understand it...
- The olympic stadium is also quite famous, you could include it in a walk around Töölönlahti.
- For nightlife, the Tavastia club is a famous club for rock music. Haven't been there but most say the like it.
- Finnish food isn't the most well known around the world and may taste quite bland to most. What you should try are snacks like Korvapuusti (cinnamon rolls), Karjalanpirakka/riisipirakka (pirogues filed with rice, often eaten with jam or egg butter), Munkki (similar to a doughnut) and literally anything that can be found with lakritsi/salmiakki (sweet or salty licorice). It may even appear in cake, Ice cream, chewing gum and god knows what else. Finns love that stuff, give it a try.

Hope this helps a bit

jumpjets

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am

I would second pretty much everything OlafW (post 11) has suggested - though I can't comment on the night clubs as am a bit past that!

If you haven't planned where to stay yet I would consider Hotel Katajanokka (https://www.hotelkatajanokka.fi/en/) which is a converted prison and is quite fun to stay in and is just a few minutes from the centre by tram.

The trams themselves and the open top buses are a great way to get around and see the sites - there was when I visited a tram that does a figure of eight route around the city [notionally you had to change at the top of the eight but in practice it just carried on round] and gets you within easy distance of some of the attractions not so close to the city centre such as the Rock Church (Temppeliaukion kirkko) and the Sibelius Monument (and park).

A slightly unusual tradition in Helsinki seems to be the washing of rugs in the lakes and if you are up near the lake shores keep an eye out to see them being washed and hung out to dry - although being October this might not be the right time of year to see it. I know this might not sound the most exciting thing to do on a holiday but as an overseas visitor I found it quite fascinatiing.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 pm

OlafW wrote:
ok, now that we figured out the weather, what to do in Helsinki?
- You will most likely arrive at Helsinki main station as that connects the airport to the city nowadays. Bus is also an option, but takes quite long.
- Standard for me is taking a trip to Suomenlinna. The fortress lies on an island about 10 minutes from Helsinki harbor(marketplace (Kauppatori). You can get there easily by ferry, tickets are 2,20€ or so in the public transport system of Helsinki (HSL). Note: JT-Line ferries are quite close to the HSL-ferries, but are not included. The HSL app is very easy to use and will save you trouble with ticketing machines.
- While you are at Kauppatori, have a look at the old market hall, Vanha Kauppahalli. Fresh fish and finnish foods are to be found here and absolutely worth trying. Also, directly on Kauppatori, there will be food stands selling small fish fried whole, which are also worth trying. Most other stands there are selling standard touristy stuff.
- From Kauppatori a little to the northeast you will find the Uspenski Cathedral, the largest Orthodox Cathedral in Western Europe. Just south of it at the harbor, there is a ferris wheel with a sauna cabin if you need some warmth.
- North of Kauppatori are Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko) and the Government Palace, surrounding Senaatintori.
- Going back to the station, or coming from there, have a stop at Karl Fazer Café. Fazer is one of the most famous chocolate producers in Finland and in this place you will notice why.
- Park Esplanadi is a place where you will see lots of Finns enjoying the last rays of sun if it comes out.
- A little to the northwest from the station you will find the parliament building, the Finnish National Museum, Finalandia music hall, Temppeliaukio church (yes, another one, but built into the rock and partially underground, it's definitely worth seeing), and a little further out the Sibelius monument, a piece of art that looks nice, but I fail to understand it...
- The olympic stadium is also quite famous, you could include it in a walk around Töölönlahti.
- For nightlife, the Tavastia club is a famous club for rock music. Haven't been there but most say the like it.
- Finnish food isn't the most well known around the world and may taste quite bland to most. What you should try are snacks like Korvapuusti (cinnamon rolls), Karjalanpirakka/riisipirakka (pirogues filed with rice, often eaten with jam or egg butter), Munkki (similar to a doughnut) and literally anything that can be found with lakritsi/salmiakki (sweet or salty licorice). It may even appear in cake, Ice cream, chewing gum and god knows what else. Finns love that stuff, give it a try.

Hope this helps a bit

I have heard you can try food samples at Kauppatori interesting idea though it might be worth checking out, and are there old Baltic ships to look at aloe is that more Helsinki harbor?

So Park Esplanadi is pretty much downtown?

How about Kampii? I heard there’s a big shopping place there, restraints and nightlife.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm

jumpjets wrote:
I would second pretty much everything OlafW (post 11) has suggested - though I can't comment on the night clubs as am a bit past that!

If you haven't planned where to stay yet I would consider Hotel Katajanokka (https://www.hotelkatajanokka.fi/en/) which is a converted prison and is quite fun to stay in and is just a few minutes from the centre by tram.

The trams themselves and the open top buses are a great way to get around and see the sites - there was when I visited a tram that does a figure of eight route around the city [notionally you had to change at the top of the eight but in practice it just carried on round] and gets you within easy distance of some of the attractions not so close to the city centre such as the Rock Church (Temppeliaukion kirkko) and the Sibelius Monument (and park).

A slightly unusual tradition in Helsinki seems to be the washing of rugs in the lakes and if you are up near the lake shores keep an eye out to see them being washed and hung out to dry - although being October this might not be the right time of year to see it. I know this might not sound the most exciting thing to do on a holiday but as an overseas visitor I found it quite fascinatiing.

Hotel Katajanokka sounds interesting I’ll have to check it out.
The rug thing sounds interesting not something you’d typically see elsewhere.

IADCA

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:42 pm

B747forever wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

It may be hard for YOU to have a good time outside in that weather, which is a good explanation of why you live in LA. For many other people, it's not hard at all. I've run races and had a great time in sub-20 degree F weather. By contrast, I can't stand LA regardless of the weather. Different things appeal to different people.

B747forever

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:41 am

IADCA wrote:
B747forever wrote:
johns624 wrote:

It may be hard for YOU to have a good time outside in that weather, which is a good explanation of why you live in LA. For many other people, it's not hard at all. I've run races and had a great time in sub-20 degree F weather. By contrast, I can't stand LA regardless of the weather. Different things appeal to different people.

Having lived in Sweden for +20 years I know a thing or two about long dark, cold and rainy/snowy days. When only considering weather, you can't compare the quality of life between a place with year round sunshine and fair weather to somewhere such as Stockholm with many long dark and cold days. There is a reason why seasonal affective disorder exist and is more common in areas with long dark autumns/winters. Furthermore, the reason for why many from Sweden and neighboring countries are obsessed with Thailand or own houses in Southern Europe, is to escape the cold! If you don't believe me, visit Sweden during the height of summer and mid winter and then come back and tell me how you perceived people there during winter respectively summer.

OlafW

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 am

Mike89406 wrote:
I have heard you can try food samples at Kauppatori interesting idea though it might be worth checking out, and are there old Baltic ships to look at aloe is that more Helsinki harbor?

How about Kampii? I heard there’s a big shopping place there, restraints and nightlife.

There are some stands which have samples, best is to just ask. Finns are generally reserved but friendly, most won't turn you down - if they do, they are Swedes ;)

It's hard to describe anything of Helsinki as downtown like you would do in other cities. But the area north of Esplanadi, reaching from the train station to the harbor would qualify most for that. Esplanadi ist very popular and almost crowded in summer as all Finns want to catch every ray of sun they can get and there's always something going on there. Not sure though about October.

Kamppi is the biggest shopping complex in that area, also including a long distance bus station in the lower level. For nightlife, I can't really recommend as my evening experiences in Finland are mostly meeting at friends for drinks and sauna...

For those still moaning about the weather, be aware that Finnish winter is at most times more bearable than continental European winter because it's a pretty dry cold - similar to when summer in Arizona is called a dry heat. Similar to what I said about food, just give it a try. If you really are cold, be assured that you will get proper winter clothes in Finland. ;)

IADCA

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:21 pm

B747forever wrote:
IADCA wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Having lived in Sweden for +20 years I know a thing or two about long dark, cold and rainy/snowy days. When only considering weather, you can't compare the quality of life between a place with year round sunshine and fair weather to somewhere such as Stockholm with many long dark and cold days. There is a reason why seasonal affective disorder exist and is more common in areas with long dark autumns/winters. Furthermore, the reason for why many from Sweden and neighboring countries are obsessed with Thailand or own houses in Southern Europe, is to escape the cold! If you don't believe me, visit Sweden during the height of summer and mid winter and then come back and tell me how you perceived people there during winter respectively summer.

Yes, and for people who don't have SAD and don't mind the cold, it's not a problem. That's the point: I don't deny that many people would hate living in Scandanivia in winter (I've actually been to Stockholm in the winter, so I do understand and sympathize with Swedish sun lovers). The point is that some people care a lot more about the weather than others. Personally, I like LA weather and the beaches. The problem is that everything else about the place is utterly insufferable, especially the people. For people like me who still enjoy being outdoors even when it's dark and cold, living with Angelenos is a cost that far outweighs the weather benefit.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:03 pm

OlafW wrote:
Mike89406 wrote:

There are some stands which have samples, best is to just ask. Finns are generally reserved but friendly, most won't turn you down - if they do, they are Swedes ;)

It's hard to describe anything of Helsinki as downtown like you would do in other cities. But the area north of Esplanadi, reaching from the train station to the harbor would qualify most for that. Esplanadi ist very popular and almost crowded in summer as all Finns want to catch every ray of sun they can get and there's always something going on there. Not sure though about October.

Kamppi is the biggest shopping complex in that area, also including a long distance bus station in the lower level. For nightlife, I can't really recommend as my evening experiences in Finland are mostly meeting at friends for drinks and sauna...

For those still moaning about the weather, be aware that Finnish winter is at most times more bearable than continental European winter because it's a pretty dry cold - similar to when summer in Arizona is called a dry heat. Similar to what I said about food, just give it a try. If you really are cold, be assured that you will get proper winter clothes in Finland. ;)

Thanks

Mike89406
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:56 am

Another thing is while I’m in Finland I’m contemplating visiting another country or two. I was planning on the ferry to St. Petersburg because you can enter visa free into Russia to visit... that said it seems to be a logistical headache because one it’s expensive and two you need 3 days to just do that trip. At any rate that idea doesn’t look good right now.
I’m on a budget but was considering the ferry to Tallinn, Estonia w/possible stay over in AirBnb or Hostel because I hear it’s a lot of fun and cheaper than the other countries.
Next idea is I can non rev on IcelandAir to Reykjavík and either stop over change planes or stay the night in the city. The problem is it’s probably the most expensive country out of my choices.
So to recap I can go to Tallinn whilst visiting Helsinki spend two days in each and fly back through Iceland to connect or stopover.

OlafW

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:00 am

St. Petersburg I can't comment on, also no experience on the visa requirements, but as far as I read, it can be a bit tricky. Some basic info I found is that visa-free only works if you arrive on ferry and have a preplanned tour booked. Plus, as a non-Schengen citizen, your Schengen-visa must be valid for multiple entries. If you want to go on your own, it seems like you're better off getting a visa. In that case, you could also take the Allegro train which only take 3.5 hours from Helsinki to St. Petersburg (Pietari as they say in Finland). Faster, but also no idea on how expensive that is.

Visiting Tallinn is certainly a good idea, it's a nice city. If you take the ferry, be prepared to meet lots of Finns on a shopping spree for alcohol, especially on the way back. Also, many of them will consume a lot while on that trip. Just remember that this is not representative of standard Finnish behaviour, they just like to go crazy when there's cheap alcohol to be had.

You could also consider seeing some other places in Finland. Trains are normally not too expensive and e.g. going to Rovaniemi on the Polar Circle, there are night trains which could save you a hotel stay for one night. Just, to be honest, Rovaniemi isn't much to look at, it's mostly popular for the Christmas Village and trips to Laplandish outback. Turku is close to Helsinki and worth spending a day or two in as it's the former capital of Finland.

A stopover in Reykjavik sounds tempting, unfortunately my experience is limited to being shuttled to the Blue Lagoon and back.