Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dz09
Topic Author

Norwegain Air Cancellation

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 pm

I was scheduled to travel from JFK to LGW tomorrow early morning and I've just received a text indicating that the flight has been cancelled. There is no way of getting in touch with their customer service either here in the US or in Europe and there is no info on their website on how to handle this situation. Any suggestions on how to handle this.

sorry if this is not the right forum for this. I'm surprised that Norwegian is just another garbage airline.

masi1157

Re: Norwegain Air Cancellation

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm

dz09 wrote:
I'm surprised that Norwegian is just another garbage airline.

So you have experienced a long history of cancelled flights and bad customer service to come to that conclusion?

Gruß, masi1157

adamblang

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:10 pm

dz09 wrote:

At the prices they charge, I'm not.

Anyway, here's the support information on their website: https://www.norwegian.com/us/help-contact/

MO11

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 pm

dz09 wrote:
I was scheduled to travel from JFK to LGW tomorrow early morning and I've just received a text indicating that the flight has been cancelled. There is no way of getting in touch with their customer service either here in the US or in Europe and there is no info on their website on how to handle this situation. Any suggestions on how to handle this.

sorry if this is not the right forum for this. I'm surprised that Norwegian is just another garbage airline.

Go to the website, look under "Travelling with us", "Delayed and cancelled flights" , and it will advise you of your options.

ChrisKen

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm

You should be able to rebook (changing both the onward & return journeys gratis if required) or refund.

It can be done through the app or online https://www.norwegian.com/us/travel-inf ... d-flights/

dz09
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 pm

masi1157 wrote:
dz09 wrote:

So you have experienced a long history of cancelled flights and bad customer service to come to that conclusion?

Gruß, masi1157

Here's the thing, cancellations happen all the time and I've had my share of them through the 30 years or so of flying. the difference between a legit company and a garbage one is how problems are handled. Right now I'm still in the dark, I called the numbers here in the US, in Norway and in the UK and still can't get through. there is no info on how to handle a cancellation and rebooking on their website. to me this is a garbage company and I do not have to experience a long history of cancelled flights with them to come to that conclusion. The only reason I booked this flight is to travel on the HiFLy A380 with a chance of experiencing one of the Suites.

flight152

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Don’t fly Norwegian next time. Problem solved.

readytotaxi

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 pm

dz09 wrote:
masi1157 wrote:
dz09 wrote:

Gruß, masi1157

The only reason I booked this flight is to travel on the HiFLy A380 with a chance of experiencing one of the Suites.

Didn't know they still had them, TR pls.

dz09
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
You should be able to rebook (changing both the onward & return journeys gratis if required) or refund.

It can be done through the app or online https://www.norwegian.com/us/travel-inf ... d-flights/

their website is not up to date. Seats on the flight that got cancelled are still showing as available for purchase and when I tried to change my flight there is a substantial difference in fare I need to pay.

dz09
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 pm

flight152 wrote:

I won't. I have never flown with them and it looks like I will never fly with them. My problem, however, has not been solved and the problem will not be solved as more travelers can be subjected to this nonsense. BS like this should not be allowed to happen or should at least be exposed.

TC957

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Looks like the HiFly380 has gone tech at LGW as it should have left nearly an hour ago now for JFK. No new departure time showing. That's always a risk with a one-fleet operation. There will be 400+ others like you upset on both sides of the pond now.
However, I fully agree a plan B should have kicked in by DI and it's a poor show they leave passengers in the lurch without rebooking advise or seemingly any advise for that matter.

Momo1435

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Have you tried to call Norwegian on the numbers listed on the flight status page on their website?

https://www.norwegian.com/us/flight-status/

15. Aug 4:42 PM (New York-JFK UTC-04)
We regret to inform that your flight has been cancelled DI7016 16. Aug
New York. - London/Ga.
Dep: 03:00. For free rebooking or full refund of your ticket,please call Norwegian at 47 2149 0015

15. Aug 3:08 PM (New York-JFK UTC-04)
We're sorry to inform that your Norwegian flight DI7016 from New York (JFK) to London (LGW) 16.08.2018 03:00 is cancelled due to technical reasons. You can rebook or refund your ticket free of charge online. If you're unable to reasonably return home and you need accommodation, please contact our airport representatives to arrange hotel. To read about your rights visit http://www.norwegian.com/rights. For support, please call us on 1-800-357-4159. Other conditions may apply to tickets booked as part of a package or booked through a travel agency.

Msep003

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:17 pm

dz09 wrote:
flight152 wrote:

I won't. I have never flown with them and it looks like I will never fly with them. .

If this would happened to you on an other biger carrier like BA or American you would haved said the exact same thing . Although as long as you have purchased an airline ticket the air carrier HAVE to get you from point A to Point B unless they refund you the one way ticket .
You are also facing the EU Laws that you may have compensations for the flight lost or delayed from 3 hours and beyond delayed and this up to 800Euros .

I have flown Norwegian Air many times on TATL and i've never had any issues . I usually check on Flight Radar if the AC i'm going to fly with is parked or landed otherwize i know i'll have a very bad time .

n471wn

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 pm

I love DI and have flown them out of OAK about 20 times. However our grandsons were supposed to be on Flight 7074 to Gatwick on 12 August and it was cancelled and so they flew out last night and when this happens there is not a fare increase. Let us not forget why these cancellations are happening folks—the engines on the 787 series so this is not the fault of DI.

nordikcam

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Msep003 wrote:
dz09 wrote:
flight152 wrote:

I won't. I have never flown with them and it looks like I will never fly with them. .

If this would happened to you on an other biger carrier like BA or American you would haved said the exact same thing . Although as long as you have purchased an airline ticket the air carrier HAVE to get you from point A to Point B unless they refund you the one way ticket .
You are also facing the EU Laws that you may have compensations for the flight lost or delayed from 3 hours and beyond delayed and this up to 800Euros .

I have flown Norwegian Air many times on TATL and i've never had any issues . I usually check on Flight Radar if the AC i'm going to fly with is parked or landed otherwize i know i'll have a very bad time .
!

With BA you will have a SERVICE ! With DI you paid peanuts...YOU DO NOT HAVE SERVICE ! In this case it's not a DI aircraft but an A 380 Hi'fly aircraft ! Delicious !

jumpjets

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 pm

nordikcam wrote:
Msep003 wrote:
dz09 wrote:

With BA you will have a SERVICE ! With DI you paid peanuts...YOU DO NOT HAVE SERVICE ! In this case it's not a DI aircraft but an A 380 Hi'fly aircraft ! Delicious !

Sorry to disillusion you - I had a BA flight cancelled while I was at the gate waiting to depart last December. I am still waiting to get my money and AVIOS points back, and customer services are not responding to my e mails. If you book BA please don't expect service - their race to the bottom in on board service and hard product seems now to have spread more widely through the company.

BlueTrue

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 pm

So is it only Norwegian that can cancel a flight and leave you standing? I don't think so.

dz09
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 am

BlueTrue wrote:
So is it only Norwegian that can cancel a flight and leave you standing? I don't think so.

well I'm still here and i won't fly until tomorrow with another airline. of course Norwegian is not the only airline that cancelled a flight and left people stranded. airlines that do that are the ones I call garbage airlines. I fly almost exclusively with United (continental prior to that) and I had many flights cancelled on me. The difference was that I was able to reach someone on the phone within 5 minutes. What was frustrating with today issue was that I could not get any answers or be able to reach a person on the phone until about 3 hours after learning about the cancellation. I guess you get what you pay for (although $800 for a one way ticket is not really that cheap).

dz09
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:24 am

jumpjets wrote:
nordikcam wrote:
Msep003 wrote:

Sorry to disillusion you - I had a BA flight cancelled while I was at the gate waiting to depart last December. I am still waiting to get my money and AVIOS points back, and customer services are not responding to my e mails. If you book BA please don't expect service - their race to the bottom in on board service and hard product seems now to have spread more widely through the company.

BA is actually on my list of garbage airlines. I last flew with them 12 years ago. They lost my baby girl's stroller. They offered to reimburse $30 unless I provided a receipt for the stroller. I told them they can keep the money and I never flew with them again.

IPFreely

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 am

I have no experience with Norwegian. Have never flown them and probably will never have reason or opportunity to fly them. But this thread is pure gold. Any chance we can get a full list of the "garbage airlines"?

FlyHappy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:02 am

dz09 wrote:
BlueTrue wrote:

well I'm still here and i won't fly until tomorrow with another airline. of course Norwegian is not the only airline that cancelled a flight and left people stranded. airlines that do that are the ones I call garbage airlines. I fly almost exclusively with United (continental prior to that) and I had many flights cancelled on me. The difference was that I was able to reach someone on the phone within 5 minutes. What was frustrating with today issue was that I could not get any answers or be able to reach a person on the phone until about 3 hours after learning about the cancellation. I guess you get what you pay for (although $800 for a one way ticket is not really that cheap).

It seems clear to me that by your standards, airlines are either 1) full service or 2) garbage if they are not full service. By full service, I mean that they have responsive customer service.

I'm not disagreeing, though I probably wouldn't use the expression "garbage". Low-service, maybe.
The thing is - it ain't about cheap or non-cheap ticket. Any ticket purchased on nearly any low cost carrier still gets you low-service. You can buy J class fares on Norwegian and the other LCC's for thousands, and you'll still get lower responsiveness and service than a Y fare for a quarter as much on a larger, (usually) network affiliated, full-service carrier. Sorry, your $800 OW fare really doesn't matter.

Its the way of the world - it really isn't about how much you paid, its about who you paid.

masi1157

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:57 am

dz09 wrote:
The only reason I booked this flight is to travel on the HiFLy A380 with a chance of experiencing one of the Suites.

I book flights with the sole reason to get from A to B. 8 times so far I used Norwegian for that (4x intra Norway, 4x Germany-Spain) and all those flights were perfectly in time (some even earlier than scheduled), my bags arrived at the same airport as me, they had in-flight Wifi for free, and they were cheap. So my experience with Norwegian so far is quite the opposite. But I wouldn't judge them as "garbage" if once, and perhaps even on my first flight with them, something went wrong. That happens with every airline from time to time.

Gruß, masi1157

debonair

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 am

A good way to get in touch with the airline is to post on their facebook page that you are left stranded.
Next, as Norwegian admitted to have technical problems, kudos to them!, you can claim full compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 -600Euro. On top Norwegian has to pay for food and accommodation - if not, pay forefront and claim the money under EU Regulation.

BartSimpson

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:53 am

nordikcam wrote:

The only time I was affected by a flight cancellation happened on a BA flight from FRA to LHR. I was booked on the last flight out, and that one was quietly cancelled. No information whatsoever - no mail, no SMS. Luckily I was early at the airport, so they managed to put me on the second-to-last flight of the day. I had to run through the whole Terminal B with my heavy baggage to catch the flight. Of course, at security I had to throw away all liquid stuff that was supposed to be in the check-in bag (shaving foam, toothpaste etc). If I had been 5 minutes later at check-in I wouldn't have made the flight.

This happened in 2009 - so much for BA service.

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:58 pm

This is actually the opposite of my own experience with Norwegian. I admit, I only had to call them once but I had someone on the phone within a few minutes and they were very professional. However I can imagine, if a big aircraft like an A380 gets canceled then a lot of people will be calling them at the same time. They don't have the capacity for that, their call center is only small. For obvious reasons you didn't get someone on the phone within minutes. It's not their fault, they're big enough for normal operations. This is beyond them.

DaveFly

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:43 am

Wow — anet commenters, just listen to yourselves! The guy’s flight was canceled and he’s reaching out for help from the supposedly knowledgeable crowd here. I was waiting for an informative answer myself, and one or two people provided a website/phone to contact. Everyone else piled on with (a) you brought this on yourself, (b) how dare you call Norwegian a garbage airline, (c) Norwegian has always given me great service. If I get screwed on a flight, I’ll be sure not to come here for advice. For my two-cents, just give the guy some information and leave out all the pontificating. Now I need a drink.

masi1157

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 am

DaveFly wrote:
The guy’s flight was canceled and he’s reaching out for help ....

If all he wanted was advise, he could have just asked for it.

Gruß, masi1157