Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adambrau

Re: Why does Emirates even serve alcohol to Dubai

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
But this one is even better:

adambrau wrote:
I would hire the most capable attorneys, who in cases like this only charge a percentage of funds recovered (usually 33%) and go after the airline for lax enforcement of obviously strict laws and boarding her with a used single entry visa. Then the big money comes from emotional distress suffered by both pax. You sue EK in the United Kingdom and this is just the sort of story that will hang about and be repeated on talk boards, blogs, and in the travel community.

Well she got released, so guessing Dubai decided best to bury the story asap.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... n-13065782

Get your prosecutors ready - EK in the UK will settle fast and pay up. The no drinking thing on the plane, even as a non-drinker, is the story that resonates., something like flashy and dumb. Many people flying in Premium Cabins see it as a treat and want to enjoy what they or someone else paid. But 50% of the time you can, and 50% is uncertain how much. A mirage.

moo

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 am

adambrau wrote:
flybynight wrote:

adambrau wrote:
I would hire the most capable attorneys, who in cases like this only charge a percentage of funds recovered (usually 33%) and go after the airline for lax enforcement of obviously strict laws and boarding her with a used single entry visa. Then the big money comes from emotional distress suffered by both pax. You sue EK in the United Kingdom and this is just the sort of story that will hang about and be repeated on talk boards, blogs, and in the travel community.

Get your prosecutors ready - EK in the UK will settle fast and pay up. The no drinking thing on the plane, even as a non-drinker, is the story that resonates., something like flashy and dumb. Many people flying in Premium Cabins see it as a treat and want to enjoy what they or someone else paid. But 50% of the time you can, and 50% is uncertain how much. A mirage.

Who is supposed to be prosecuting what here?

If a lawyer went to court on the basis you are suggesting, they would get laughed out on the first day. EK has no liability here.

adambrau

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am

moo wrote:
adambrau wrote:
flybynight wrote:

adambrau wrote:

If a lawyer went to court on the basis you are suggesting, they would get laughed out on the first day. EK has no liability here.

If you were American you would hire attorneys to prosecute, or settle out of court, or mediate a settlement which would never be disclosed. I know the American Judicial System is not highly regarded or modeled elsewhere, and I don't know where you live or what your desire to litigate in such a case. But it happens every day al over the country. I did Jury Duty for 20 days in April. If the plaintiff can prove that EK at Gatwick should have reasonably known this woman's visa was no good, she should have been denied boarding in London. Because of an Emirate employees failure to catch onto the Visa snafu which resulted in her and her daughter being jailed for three nights and the trauma it caused her, and probably more worthwhile her daughter's who is traumatized and has to live her whole life with god knows what emotional suffering - that's where you go in for the kill. And judging that someone in Dubai realized this was a hot potato they got rid of her. I don't know how innocent the Mother is but gate agents, especially those who are used to dealing with visa heavy routes, should have caught it. Or has it changed in 20 years - when I worked at the gate or ticketing we really checked out the required documents. It's rubbish that the EK Gatwick team don't bother with making sure their pax aren't good to land in Dubai.

moo

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 am

adambrau wrote:
moo wrote:
adambrau wrote:

If you were American you would hire attorneys to prosecute, or settle out of court, or mediate a settlement which would never be disclosed. I know the American Judicial System is not highly regarded or modeled elsewhere, and I don't know where you live or what your desire to litigate in such a case. But it happens every day al over the country. I did Jury Duty for 20 days in April. If the plaintiff can prove that EK at Gatwick should have reasonably known this woman's visa was no good, she should have been denied boarding in London. Because of an Emirate employees failure to catch onto the Visa snafu which resulted in her and her daughter being jailed for three nights and the trauma it caused her, and probably more worthwhile her daughter's who is traumatized and has to live her whole life with god knows what emotional suffering - that's where you go in for the kill. And judging that someone in Dubai realized this was a hot potato they got rid of her. I don't know how innocent the Mother is but gate agents, especially those who are used to dealing with visa heavy routes, should have caught it. Or has it changed in 20 years - when I worked at the gate or ticketing we really checked out the required documents. It's rubbish that the EK Gatwick team don't bother with making sure their pax aren't good to land in Dubai.

Let me say this slowly and clearly again, because you don't seem to have understood it the first time:

Airlines have utterly no responsibility to passengers regarding their eligibility for entry to the destination country.

None at all.

Nada.

Zip.

The responsibility for ensuring a passengers eligibility for entry to the destination lies *solely* and *completely* with the passenger themselves.

No court is going to find for the passenger on the basis you profess. The liability simply doesn't exist.

Airlines check visa statuses for their own benefits, not for the passengers. That still doesn't make them liable to the passenger when they are landed and refused entry - the airline may suffer a financial penalty to the destination country, or for the removal of the passenger, but they still have no liability to the passenger.

Got it this time? Do we need to clarify this any further?

L410Turbolet

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:04 pm

adambrau wrote:
If the plaintiff can prove that EK at Gatwick should have reasonably known this woman's visa was no good, she should have been denied boarding in London. Because of an Emirate employees failure to catch onto the Visa snafu which resulted in her and her daughter being jailed for three nights and the trauma it caused her, and probably more worthwhile her daughter's who is traumatized and has to live her whole life with god knows what emotional suffering

With all due respect, what you have written makes no sense.
Airline's check of passenger's compliance with entry requirements does NOT in any way guarantee his/her admission to a given country. It is still entirely up to the discretion of the immigration officers.

If there was in fact any trauma caused for the poor girl, she can blame her stupid mommy for:
a) not doing as an adult her homework as far as checking entry requirements to the UAE (this is passenger's duty, not airline's)
b) lacking social intelligence by escalating the problem with the immigration officers by pulling out her phone trying to film the situation
c) trying to fry her alive by going on "beach vacation" to Dubai in July.

moo

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 pm

The IATA "General Conditions of Carriage", which are accepted by pretty much every aviation authority in the world, and form the basis of pretty much every carriers own conditions of carriage, state the following in Article 14.1:

The passenger shall be solely responsible for complying with all laws, regulations, orders, demands and travel requirements of countries to be flown from, into or over, and with Carrier's Regulations and instructions. Carrier shall not be liable for any aid or information given by any agent or employee of Carrier to any passenger in connection with obtaining necessary documents or visas or complying with such laws, regulations, orders, demands, and requirements, whether given in writing or otherwise; or for the consequences to any passenger resulting from his failure to obtain such documents or visas or to comply with such laws, regulations, orders, demands, requirements, rules or instructions.

I can't link to the document itself as it's not a public document, but go ahead and google the first line and see how broadly it's accepted.

This is a legal condition which has been well proven in courts over the years - the responsibility for ensuring a passenger is eligible for entry into the destination lies solely with the passenger themselves.

I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer.

SCQ83

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 pm

The visa thing makes no sense b/c either as a Swedish or British citizen she would get a visa on arrival.

The only reason I can think of is:

- That she argued with officials for whatever reason
- That she had visited the UAE in several occasions recently on tourist visa, she was questioned and it ended up in an argument.

CrimsonNL

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:32 pm

I feel bad for the little girl but not for the mother.

In fact I'm willing to bet that all this would have never happened if it weren't for the "I've a camera phone so I'm better then you" mentality, that a staggering number of air travelers seem to have these days. She was probably already looking for her 5 minutes of fame on Facebook or the Daily Mail. Well, in the end she did get those 5 minutes I suppose, but not in the way she was hoping.

FlyHappy

Re: WHy does Emirates even serve alcohol to Dubai

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:45 pm

scbriml wrote:
No, and unless you were clearly drunk, there's no reason you would be. She wouldn't have been "a target" if she didn't have a visa issue and then started getting stroppy.

FlyHappy wrote:
You imply that this woman was "so stupid" for getting herself arrested, only because millions of others (yourself included) have not.

I was talking in generalities, I never referenced this woman at all.

I know you were, but making those statements is the indirect way of implying this woman was being stupid in her actions, lack of responsibility, etc. (and not that I'm even disagreeing with that). Just exactly as above where you said "unless you were clearly drunk", where sure - you didn't specifically refer to her as specifically drunk, and yet, the effect is the same.

Yes, she became a target because of her own invalid visa (and likely uncooperative behaviour) I know that , and I meant that (see how I own my words?) .

scbriml wrote:
Hmm, you think lying to an immigration office is smarter than telling the truth? That's a pretty slippery slope, right there.

about if I had a drink of alcohol on the plane,in a country where it is illegal to have alcohol in your body? Yes. The answer is, I do. (fully acknowledging that I am unlikely to have other issues to illicit this question)

FlyHappy wrote:
The question really is - should a society that criminalizes alcohol be in the business of promoting on flights to their own country?
despite your experiences, I think the answer is no, and not having been in the position of falling into a trap like this does not make it a "fair" trap, nor does it prove that those who do are stupid.

Well, millions of people every year enjoy time in Dubai, consume alcohol and manage to not get themselves arrested. Those that do get arrested are nearly always arrested for something else, then the alcohol consumption becomes an issue. There are no alcohol police at DXB waiting to "trap" arriving visitors who've had a glass of wine on their flight.

You didn't answer my question now, did you? (which is the very same question as the thread title, that everyone is ignoring)
What you and other posters miss with my posts, is that I am addressing the appropriateness of charging/detaining a person for a crime which the state is complicit in: serving of alcohol to people enroute to their home country where it is illegal.

The woman was in the wrong; so charge her with the appropriate crimes, not one that falls into an "illegal but tolerated" one (that's the trap). Obviously, the alcohol charge was meant to maximize her problems.
Politically, if Dubai is unable change their law, then EK (as de facto state carrer) should change their serving policy. That you and millions of others haven't had a problem is quite irrelevant. KSA and Saudia are at least consistent in this respect.

L410Turbolet

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:05 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
Politically, if Dubai is unable change their law, then EK (as de facto state carrer) should change their serving policy.

They are transporting adults, most often from A to B via DXB. Adults who can make decisions for themselves, is the assumption I think. Unlike with halal food which they force upon you whether you like it or not, I don't think EK crews hold gun to anyone's head to drink alcohol.
What you are suggesting makes as little sense as banning sales of alcohol (e.g. in Europe) everywhere where you can get only by car and where DUI laws exist at the same time
I hate to be defending EK and/or UAE, but the degree of nanny state mentality displayed in this thread is staggering.

scbriml

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:13 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
What you and other posters miss with my posts, is that I am addressing the appropriateness of charging/detaining a person for a crime which the state is complicit in: serving of alcohol to people enroute to their home country where it is illegal.

I don't think it is illegal. AFAIK Sharjah is the only Emirate where consumption of alcohol is actually illegal.

As I stated before, in the very few cases that are reported in the tabloid press as "arrested for drinking alcohol" another offence is nearly always involved.

moo

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 pm

scbriml wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

I don't think it is illegal. AFAIK Sharjah is the only Emirate where consumption of alcohol is actually illegal.

As I stated before, in the very few cases that are reported in the tabloid press as "arrested for drinking alcohol" another offence is nearly always involved.

It's worth noting that Dubai isn't the only place in the world to heap related but usually tolerated charges against someone who has been arrested - its a common tactic for prosecutors in the US as well.

moo

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:17 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
Politically, if Dubai is unable change their law, then EK (as de facto state carrer) should change their serving policy.

They are transporting adults, most often from A to B via DXB. Adults who can make decisions for themselves, is the assumption I think. Unlike with halal food which they force upon you whether you like it or not, I don't think EK crews hold gun to anyone's head to drink alcohol.
What you are suggesting makes as little sense as banning sales of alcohol (e.g. in Europe) everywhere where you can get only by car and where DUI laws exist at the same time
I hate to be defending EK and/or UAE, but the degree of nanny state mentality displayed in this thread is staggering.

The vast majority of people travelling to Dubai never see an immigration official, because they transit.

And you can get alcoholic drinks in the business lounges at Dubai.

So why ban it on flights to Dubai...?

adambrau

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 am

moo wrote:
The IATA "General Conditions of Carriage", which are accepted by pretty much every aviation authority in the world, and form the basis of pretty much every carriers own conditions of carriage, state the following in Article 14.1:

The passenger shall be solely responsible for complying with all laws, regulations, orders, demands and travel requirements of countries to be flown from, into or over, and with Carrier's Regulations and instructions. Carrier shall not be liable for any aid or information given by any agent or employee of Carrier to any passenger in connection with obtaining necessary documents or visas or complying with such laws, regulations, orders, demands, and requirements, whether given in writing or otherwise; or for the consequences to any passenger resulting from his failure to obtain such documents or visas or to comply with such laws, regulations, orders, demands, requirements, rules or instructions.

I can't link to the document itself as it's not a public document, but go ahead and google the first line and see how broadly it's accepted.

This is a legal condition which has been well proven in courts over the years - the responsibility for ensuring a passenger is eligible for entry into the destination lies solely with the passenger themselves.

moo wrote:

The passenger shall be solely responsible for complying with all laws, regulations, orders, demands and travel requirements of countries to be flown from, into or over, and with Carrier's Regulations and instructions. Carrier shall not be liable for any aid or information given by any agent or employee of Carrier to any passenger in connection with obtaining necessary documents or visas or complying with such laws, regulations, orders, demands, and
having my attorneys in a civil case seek to prove the burden of proof that EK was at fault, especially in front of a jury. Different countries have different attitudes toward this I understand.

Tourist Visa's for British Passport holders are good for 30 days. You can leave and re-enter within the original 30 days, but if you extend your visa for 30 days it seems you can't leave. Seems weird. Best info I found was from the British Embassy in the UAE.

If you’re a British Citizen you can get a visitor’s visa on arrival in the UAE. In the past, this visa has allowed the visitor to stay in the UAE for up to 30 days. The visa has terminated automatically on departure and a new visa issued on arrival each time the same visitor returns to the UAE.

That approach continues to be applied in most cases, but in some cases British citizens (and visitors of some other nationalities) who have left the UAE and returned again within the 30 day period of stay granted at the time of the first arrival, haven’t received a new visa. Instead their stay has been limited to the initial 30 day period.

The British Embassy has sought, but not yet received, the UAE authorities’ clarification of the status and application of this different approach.

Seems strange that on one of the busiest international routes in the EK network there is a requirements, whether given in writing or otherwise; or for the consequences to any passenger resulting from his failure to obtain such documents or visas or to comply with such laws, regulations, orders, demands, requirements, rules or instructions.

Hey Moo,

We're good. I get what you are saying. If the mother/daughter had departed from the USA a good lawyer like yourself could be hired by the Mother and say, because the airline let me board the flight and then everything went to shit resulting in Mother and Daughter being locked up for three days.....and the emotional implications.... Don't get me wrong I agree that there are several inconsistencies / unknowns which we would all like to know. If Mom and Daughter pursued legal action and ultimately settled, or go to mediation, we'll never find out what really happened. As I mentioned earlier I worked at JFK for Swissair from 1998-2001 and we checked out everyones DOCS. Of course humans are infallible but Swissair and Delta staff checking SR pax docs to be valid on the other end - was one of the most important checks to be performed on any given night Of course it is up to the passenger to obtain the needed formalities prior to presenting yourself at the airport, I apologize if I went back and fourth with you 3 times too many last night. I just thought you were repeating the obvious - my bad. But since we don't know why the woman appeared to be re-entering Dubai on a supposedly expired single entry visa and then daughter and mother were thrown into a Dubai airport holding pen because the airline didn't follow normal standards of handling passenger docs to remain in compliance properly check the visa, and the mother was or wasn't aware or was trying to wing it, I would say EK do bear some legal responsibility because if they'd noticed or had doubt they could have denied boarding the two. Unless the mother has a record of pushing her luck on visas, apart pulling her camera phone out on the immigration officer which I agree points to the possibility she was previously known to immigration and EK as a pushy Penny is very possible. The fact that unless you are in the know, as other posters upthread have mentioned there is no information on not drinking inbound to DXB. Of course the plane get from the UK so American standards might seem greedy if they asked for $100K but it's really a rounding error for EK, and the story dies for ever for EK. If something along these (somewhat unknown) lines happened to me (which it wouldn't) and I was flying out of the USA, I might risk loophole that not even the British understand. Obviously being smiling and helpful, rather than pulling out you camera phone and making a scene. But maybe she had done it before and it worked.

OK I am going to exit this conversation thanks to all who have informed me on the ins and out of a Dubai Tourist Visa on arrival - seems like Dubai immigration should clear up the two different interpretations on whether a 30 day visa extended in Dubai for another 30 days should not be too hard to sort out.

Adam

moa999

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 am

Bit of the truth comes out here.
http://www.mediaoffice.ae/en/media-cent ... dubai.aspx

I suspect if you arrived in the US with an expired passport, got angry with the officers, and started filming or photographing them that you wouldn't have a pleasant experience either.

I also wonder whether the alcohol issue came about because of the production of the Iranian passport.

FlightMode

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:52 am

So, expired Swedish passport and therefore the visa included was no longer valid. Is it likely that EK accepted her for boarding if she presented an expired passport at check in? It is more likely that she presented her Iranian passport. When advised that she could enter on the Iranian passport if she obtained a new transit visa, she refused because she didn't wish to pay. Naturally, she was detained when she choice to abuse the official.

No mention of charges for consuming alcohol is made in the statement by the Attorney General, only profanity and photographing a government official at the border crossing, a restricted area.

As to EK serving alcohol, there is no reason why they should not. It is not actually an offence to consume alcohol in the Emirate. However, it may only be lawfully obtained in places like private hotels, clubs, and naturally enough the airport. Resident non-Muslims can obtain a licence to purchase alcohol at other outlets. Drinking in public places like parks and streets is illegal. Other restrictions apply during Ramadan.

scbriml

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 am

moa999 wrote:
Bit of the truth comes out here.
http://www.mediaoffice.ae/en/media-cent ... dubai.aspx

I suspect if you arrived in the US with an expired passport, got angry with the officers, and started filming or photographing them that you wouldn't have a pleasant experience either.

I also wonder whether the alcohol issue came about because of the production of the Iranian passport.

Wow, so there was another side to this story? Just like the other side of the "Indian family thrown off plane because child was crying" is starting to come out. I am shocked. :eek:

I'm sure The Sun will print a correction promptly. :rotfl:

adambrau

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am

flybynight wrote:
It seems to be very hypocritical of Emirates to offer alcohol to flyers coming into Dubai if the could get into serious trouble.
A Brit was recently arrested after landing in Dubai.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6986998/how-brit-tourists-can-be-arrested-for-drinking-alcohol-on-flights-to-dubai/

I respect the laws of the country and ignorance of it is an not excuse. But tempting or even bating people is not fair either. Not to sound too American, but I'd be tempted to sue Emirates.

It seems like the Mother was trying to pull a fast one on EK and the UAE. Maybe more information will be forthcoming. I read she was not married to her partner so I guess when she found out her Swedish Passport was expired she tried to circumvent with her Iranian passport both in London (because they would never accept her with just one expired passport. She then raised her voice and made a scene when the Dubai immigration official offered her the terms offered to those traveling on Iranian passports (clearly not the same red carpet rolled out to Swedes on a Tourist visa to be purchased on arrival.

So instead of cutting in under the radar protection of her Iranian passport she got upset and probably used some choice words for the Immigration official in Dubai, and then got out her phone camera which was the real crime she committed.

Alcohol was not used as a reason to remove the woman, so that she can't use that for her defense.

It seems like the only victim was the daughter and to a lesser degree the rest of the family. .Hopefully the daughter is young enough to soon forget the incident.

In the end, the mother had a regional family connections to the area although it sounds like Dubai and Iran are not closely tied diplomatically.

I give up on the mother - it's sad to think her selfishness caused her daughter anxiety.

The real kicker, though, is that hasn't Europe been under a brutal heat wave until recently and instead of returning to Dubai could they not have gone to some seaside town in the Uk?

Anyway, given that it is more indicative that the mother now caused the majority of the problem herself, and then dug herself into a bigger hole, I would not recommend she seek legal restitution based on my earlier assumptions of that EK Staff in the UK didn't properly check her documents as being ok as the story evolves. Furthermore, she is going to have a file which will sit in a computer or drawer for many year and I would not be in a rush to return to Dubai anytime soon.

So I was wrong and spoke too soon!

A couple of posters upthread said they wouldn't shout at an American Immigration or CBP officer which I fully agree. I did mention that on occasionI do informally joke around with them sometimes but never ever would I shout at someone who is helping me to gain entry to the country.

Also I think the UK and the UAE should move quickly to fix some inconsistencies on the 30 day transit policy extension, as inconsistency never helps anyone.

Adam

SCQ83

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 am

adambrau wrote:
The real kicker, though, is that hasn't Europe been under a brutal heat wave until recently and instead of returning to Dubai could they not have gone to some seaside town in the Uk?

Since she is from Iranian descent, she might have gone to Dubai to meet Iranian relatives whether living or travelling there. I don't think it would be easy for Iranians to get a tourist visa to the UK. So the UAE with quite a liberal visa policy (heck, which country would give a 96-hour transit visa on arrival to Iranian citizens?) and a million flights to both Iran and London is a good place.

Maybe she found out last minute that her Swedish passport was expired, and she thought that with a valid Iranian passport + the "protection" of having a Swedish passport, she could along easily in the UAE. In fact if the story is right, she presented first herself as a Swedish citizen (with an expired passport, but still a Swedish - First World - citizen). And then she showed her Iranian passport as a back-up.

directorguy

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:27 pm

UK citizens get a 30-day entry visa every time on arrival. Once a UK visitor leaves, the visa is cancelled. On the next visit, a fresh 30-day is issued.
Swedish citizens (and other Schengen Zone nationals) however get a 90-day multiple entry visa within a 180-day rolling period. In other words, Swedes can only stay a maximum of 3 months within a 6 month period. Since it's not clear what passport she was using, it's possible that she had maxed out her 90 days. It's also possible the lady is a UAE resident and had been out of the country for more than 6 months. In this case, her UAE residence visa would be cancelled and she would be free to enter the UAE as a visitor right away. On an Iranian passport, she might have been able to get a 96-hour transit visa from a travel services provider, Marhaba, who have desks right before immigration.
With regards to the liquor permit-it's a legal loophole. Technically only those with a liquor license can purchase and consume alcohol. Only non-Muslim residents can obtain that license. Anyone else consuming or purchasing alcohol is in direct violation of the law.

adambrau

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Since she is from Iranian descent, she might have gone to Dubai to meet Iranian relatives whether living or travelling there. I don't think it would be easy for Iranians to get a tourist visa to the UK. So the UAE with quite a liberal visa policy (heck, which country would give a 96-hour transit visa on arrival to Iranian citizens?) and a million flights to both Iran and London is a good place.

Maybe she found out last minute that her Swedish passport was expired, and she thought that with a valid Iranian passport + the "protection" of having a Swedish passport, she could along easily in the UAE. In fact if the story is right, she presented first herself as a Swedish citizen (with an expired passport, but still a Swedish - First World - citizen). And then she showed her Iranian passport as a back-up.

Yeah agreed having an Iranian passport I figured she would have friends and family in the region, and whatever one's opinion of Dubai it would seem the likely place to conduct work or her social life. It appears she analyzed the risk of leveraging two passports before getting on the flight in London, a game that didn't work out too well. She may also be a resident of the UAE but I didn't read that anywhere. I thought she was a Dentist living south of London hence her likely selection of Gatwick. At this point nothing would surprise me!

moa999

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 am

scbriml wrote:
Wow, so there was another side to this story? Just like the other side of the "Indian family thrown off plane because child was crying" is starting to come out. I am shocked. :eek:

I'm sure The Sun will print a correction promptly. :rotfl:

Right alongside the photo of the pigs flying

vhtje

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:13 pm

scbriml wrote:
There is way more to this 'story' than is being reported in The Sun.

I've lived and worked in Dubai, commuting every month between there and home. I've never had any problem with having consumed alcohol on the flight to Dubai (either EK or BA).

As to needing a licence to purchase alcohol, that is true if you have residency. However, as a visitor, you can buy a limited amount of alcohol when you arrive at DXB - there's a Duty Free shop selling alcohol immediately after immigration for goodness sake! Alcohol is freely available in hotels and clubs

Yes, if you're stupid enough to get smashed out of your head in public, or try and have sex on the beach, you will likely find yourself inside a room with bars (of the steel kind). Dubai receives millions of visitors every year and only a very small minority manage to be so stupid they get themselves arrested.

Dubai isn't Ibiza. Some people can't or won't accept that.

I do not disagree with you - you make an excellent point about Dubai not being Ibiza - but I am not sure how your implied modification to behaviour this requires, applies in this case. If I have understood this correctly, Dr Holman had an invalid visa. She was refused entry to the country as a result. So far, so good - Dr Holman should have done her homework and not assumed the visa was valid. Travel 101, like double-checking you have your passport, keys, wallet and ticket before you close the door to the house as you leave for the airport.

Dr Holman was then asked if she had been drinking. She replied in the affirmative that she had had one glass of wine supplied by the airline. (By the way, I would do the same, wouldn't you? Or would you lie to an immigration officer?) At that point Dr Holman and her daughter were thrown in gaol.

There is clearly more to this than we are being told. Assuming the one-glass story is true, then she wasn't treating Dubai like Ibiza. Dr Holman's behaviour, then, was the same as you yourself admit:

scbriml wrote:
I've never had any problem with having consumed alcohol on the flight to Dubai (either EK or BA).

The obvious conclusion to make is that Dr Holman consumed more than one glass, and was visibly drunk when she was at immigration. However, I find it difficult to believe this, given she was travelling with and had responsibility for her young daughter.

My feeling is that Dr Holman was not drunk, but that she was belligerent with the immigration officer (there are reports she filmed the immigration officer). The Evening Standard story quotes her, "the thought of buying another ticket and turning straight around for another long flight was unthinkable" I think it was her refusal to accept deportation, not the alcohol, that caused her to be thrown in gaol.

Either way, it is an inescapable fact that the story reflects badly on Emirates and Dubai.

FlightMode

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 am

I am not sure why this should reflect badly on Emirates, unless the media choose to ignore the Attorney Generals's statement. In that statement no mention of alcohol is made. And, as has been pointed out, her being able to consume wine on a flight or in DXB is not an offence, unless she consumed several glasses and became drunk. The fact that she was travelling with a child might tend against such behaviour but we have no way of knowing.

If Holman presented at Gatwick with an expired passport she would not have been boarded. Entering passport details with an expiry date prior to the date of travel would have been flagged. Holman would have had to present the Iranian passport.

On arrival in DXB she was given the option of obtaining a visa, based on her Iranian nationality. She refused and became belligerant. How does that reflect badly on the airline when the conflict arose at immigration?

scbriml

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am

vhtje wrote:
My feeling is that Dr Holman was not drunk, but that she was belligerent with the immigration officer (there are reports she filmed the immigration officer). The Evening Standard story quotes her, "the thought of buying another ticket and turning straight around for another long flight was unthinkable" I think it was her refusal to accept deportation, not the alcohol, that caused her to be thrown in gaol.

As more becomes known about this incident, the more it looks as though that was the case. But that doesn't make such good tabloid clickbait headlines, does it?

vhtje wrote:
Either way, it is an inescapable fact that the story reflects badly on Emirates and Dubai.

Given she apparently boarded the flight with a valid Iranian passport, I don't see how EK has done anything wrong. :shakehead:

Dubai doesn't look so good detaining a mother and young child, agreed. However, as was asked upthread, what would happen if she did the same things (presenting an expired passport, getting agitated and filming) at immigration in the US, for example?

Fiend

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
vhtje wrote:

As more becomes known about this incident, the more it looks as though that was the case. But that doesn't make such good tabloid clickbait headlines, does it?

vhtje wrote:

Given she apparently boarded the flight with a valid Iranian passport, I don't see how EK has done anything wrong. :shakehead:

Dubai doesn't look so good detaining a mother and young child, agreed. However, as was asked upthread, what would happen if she did the same things (presenting an expired passport, getting agitated and filming) at immigration in the US, for example?

It looks more and more like she's tried to embellish things to get some sympathy and when the facts started coming out she's been found out..... British newspapers also like to senationalise stories as they think it sells newspapers...

BirdBrain

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Fiend wrote:
British newspapers also like to senationalise stories as they think it sells newspapers...

Surely, you can't be serious. :biggrin:

scbriml

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Fiend wrote:
British newspapers also like to senationalise stories as they think it sells newspapers...

Indeed. Not that it's an exclusively British trait, by any means.

flybynight
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:59 pm

At the end of the day, it just seem that Emirates should at the very least limit alcohol consumed on flights to certain countries. Now, say to London, Seattle, LA, Copenhagen etc....go for it. Serve away!

SCQ83

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:23 am

flybynight wrote:
At the end of the day, it just seem that Emirates should at the very least limit alcohol consumed on flights to certain countries. Now, say to London, Seattle, LA, Copenhagen etc....go for it. Serve away!

I don't know if this is the case anymore but for instance Emirates did not serve alcohol on flights to Saudi Arabia (many if not all muslim carriers do). Which has nothing to do with any law since other carriers like Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines will serve alcohol as soon as they take off from the country. It is probably more due to the fact those are "Muslim" carriers flying to the "Muslim Holy Sites" so alcohol seems a bit out of place in their mind.

scbriml

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
[I don't know if this is the case anymore but for instance Emirates did not serve alcohol on flights to Saudi Arabia (many if not all muslim carriers do). Which has nothing to do with any law since other carriers like Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines will serve alcohol as soon as they take off from the country. It is probably more due to the fact those are "Muslim" carriers flying to the "Muslim Holy Sites" so alcohol seems a bit out of place in their mind.

I've lived and worked in Saudi and my experience flying BA was that when leaving, alcohol would only be served upon leaving Saudi airspace. The reverse when arriving, all drinks would be have to be consumed or given up before entering Saudi airspace. This was a nine years ago, but I'd be surprised if things have changed much.

If those same rules applied in EK's case, given they'd be entering Saudi airspace not very long after departing Dubai, they might just decide it's not worth the effort.

xwb777

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:02 am

SCQ83

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
I've lived and worked in Saudi and my experience flying BA was that when leaving, alcohol would only be served upon leaving Saudi airspace. The reverse when arriving, all drinks would be have to be consumed or given up before entering Saudi airspace. This was a nine years ago, but I'd be surprised if things have changed much.

If those same rules applied in EK's case, given they'd be entering Saudi airspace not very long after departing Dubai, they might just decide it's not worth the effort.

I don't know to what extent that is an urban legend. I remember flying SQ JED-AUH-SIN and as soon as the flight departed from Jeddah (so obviously crossing over Saudi airspace) carts with alcohol were being served in the aisle. And while definitely not KSA, Singapore is a relatively conservative country when coming to any type of substance (and they carry a lot of Muslim travellers from Malaysia, Indonesia...). Same from Lufthansa from JED and RUH to FRA (and RUH-FRA flies a bit over KSA); alcohol from the start.

I have also flown Turkish on IST-JED a few times and I can't recall any alcohol despite at least +1 hour is flown over Turkish airspace.

Again I feel this is an "auto-imposed" ban since it look bad from Muslim carriers (which anyway for TK-ME3 is only a 1-2 hour flight... really if you cannot cope without alcohol for such a short flight, KSA is not your best destination) to serve alcohol (haram) flying to the "holy sites" of the Islamic world.

Emirates on the other hand seems to serve alcohol on flights to Kuwait which is also a dry country.

SOBHI51

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:26 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I don't know to what extent that is an urban legend. I remember flying SQ JED-AUH-SIN and as soon as the flight departed from Jeddah (so obviously crossing over Saudi airspace) carts with alcohol were being served in the aisle. And while definitely not KSA, Singapore is a relatively conservative country when coming to any type of substance (and they carry a lot of Muslim travellers from Malaysia, Indonesia...). Same from Lufthansa from JED and RUH to FRA (and RUH-FRA flies a bit over KSA); alcohol from the start.

I have also flown Turkish on IST-JED a few times and I can't recall any alcohol despite at least +1 hour is flown over Turkish airspace.

Again I feel this is an "auto-imposed" ban since it look bad from Muslim carriers (which anyway for TK-ME3 is only a 1-2 hour flight... really if you cannot cope without alcohol for such a short flight, KSA is not your best destination) to serve alcohol (haram) flying to the "holy sites" of the Islamic world.

Emirates on the other hand seems to serve alcohol on flights to Kuwait which is also a dry country.

There is no written policy about when to serve drinks after takeoff or before landing, some airlines will not carry any alcohol on flights to/ from KSA.(TK, Emirates , Etihad), others wait till you are out or till before Saudi airspace to serve alcohol (BA) on the other hand MEA will serve alcohol drinks as soon as they are at cruising altitude.
So it's more of an airline policy.

ChrisKen

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

SOBHI51 wrote:

and that of the registered country & airspace you're in.

CAA regulations state it is a criminal offence 'to enter an aircraft drunk or be drunk on board an aircraft'. This applies to ALL aircraft on the ground on in the UK, in it's airspace and those G- registered wherever they may be when airbourne. Although it is often flouted, prosecutions are increasing. In a similar vane, it's illegal for a FA to serve to alcohol to someone already intoxicated.

A sovereign nation has complete say over it's airspace with regards to alcohol.
Saudi Arabia laws permits alcohol to be served by airlines simply overflying the country.
Airlines arriving or departing Saudi Arabia must; stop serving alcohol 30 minutes prior to entering Saudi airspace; not serve alcohol on departure until clear of the country's border.

SOBHI51

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:28 am

ChrisKen wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:

and that of the registered country & airspace you're in.

CAA regulations state it is a criminal offence 'to enter an aircraft drunk or be drunk on board an aircraft'. This applies to ALL aircraft on the ground on in the UK, in it's airspace and those G- registered wherever they may be when airbourne. Although it is often flouted, prosecutions are increasing. In a similar vane, it's illegal for a FA to serve to alcohol to someone already intoxicated.

A sovereign nation has complete say over it's airspace with regards to alcohol.
Saudi Arabia laws permits alcohol to be served by airlines simply overflying the country.
Airlines arriving or departing Saudi Arabia must; stop serving alcohol 30 minutes prior to entering Saudi airspace; not serve alcohol on departure until clear of the country's border.

I am telling you my own experience. Maybe MEA didn't know about those laws.

ChrisKen

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 am

More likely they have an exemption or there's different rules for the near/Arabic neighbours.