Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BWIAirport
Topic Author

ViaAir strands passengers, denies compensation

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:16 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/v ... spartanntp
A ViaAir flight from OKC to AUS stopped in TUL to tend to passengers from a previous flight, encountered mechanical issues, then canceled the rest of the flight to Austin. Airline denied compensation to the affected passengers.
It sounds like this is a big problem within ViaAir.

tys777

Re: ViaAir strands passengers, denies compensation

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Sounds like they are calling plays from the SY playbook.

enilria

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:34 pm

tys777 wrote:

Wait, so they dumped passengers in TUL that were on an OKC-AUS non-stop and didn't give them any assistance or compensation? I've never even heard of such a thing. DOT will crush them.

hiflyeras

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Can someone provide a synopsis of ViaAir? I've never heard of them....and those fliers probably wished they never had either.

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Can someone provide a synopsis of ViaAir? I've never heard of them....and those fliers probably wished they never had either.

Offers scheduled service to small/medium markets across the central and eastern US. Operates E120s, E145s, and Citations. Kind of a vacation bundle company too. Callsign "Stingray".

drdisque

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 pm

All of their scheduled service is on the ERJ-145's.

They are building Focus Cities in AUS and SFB. They had some EAS markets in West Virginia but have been booted from most of them. They use the ULCC terminal in AUS.

TUSDawg23

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 pm

I was considering going with these guys on a past business trip to AUS from TUS, but they only fly the route 3x week which was less than ideal. I'm glad I didn't because if you head over to tripadvisor, you can see all the awful reviews of how many passengers they leave in the dust when operational issues arise. I don't see them lasting much longer if they can't get their act together.

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:05 pm

drdisque wrote:

Is the rest charter?

SJCMSP

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm

tys777 wrote:

Seems like the difference is that SY at least refunded passengers' tickets and then told them to go find and pay for another flight on their own. According to the passengers, they're neither getting them to their destination nor are they refunding their tickets.

spinkid

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm

I was just browsing their web site last night, wondering what exactly t heir plan is.
They aren't exactly priced the cheapest, and with PR like this, that won't be helping them anytime soon.

SJCMSP

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

tys777 wrote:

Seems like the difference is that SY at least refunded passengers' tickets and then told them to go find and pay for another flight on their own. According to the passengers, they're neither getting them to their destination nor are they refunding their tickets.

DocLightning

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 pm

SJCMSP wrote:
tys777 wrote:

LOL. Buh-bye, airline.

drdisque

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Is the rest charter?

Yes, the EMB-120's and Citations are only used for charters. However, I rarely see them even flying anymore. I think they started having trouble getting parts for the EMB-120's (I think the freight operators out west snatch them all up.)

FA9295

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

They're kind of similar to OneJet (if you've heard of them).

As others have already said, the DOT will give the airline a huge fine for that... Does anyone know if SY received similar treatment from the DOT...?

FA9295

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

drdisque wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Is the rest charter?

Yes, the EMB-120's and Citations are only used for charters. However, I rarely see them even flying anymore. I think they started having trouble getting parts for the EMB-120's (I think the freight operators out west snatch them all up.)

Yeah, the E120s are pretty much faded out by now. I remember seeing those quite a lot when UA had a regional hub at PDX...

lavalampluva

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:19 pm

I find it interesting that an airline will destroy it's reputation just to save a few $$$. :boggled:

Bobloblaw

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I find it interesting that an airline will destroy it's reputation just to save a few $$$. :boggled:

My guess is they cant refund the money without putting their cash situation close to ZERO. Yes, I think they could be that LOW on cash

TWFlyGuy

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 pm

They would probably be better off trying to fly somewhere and focussing on it than trying to fly to so many cities 3x a week. They have a "focus city" at CLT but even that seems to have faded some.

drdisque

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 pm

The CLT focus city is a remnant of their EAS contracts. Their first EAS contract was Beckley, WV, which they bid from CLT for some reason. They added Florida tags to the Beckley flight to help utilization and because they weren't able to get an interline with AA.

AWACSooner

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

As much as miss the ExpressJet service from a decade ago that ran between AUS/SAT and OKC, I was actually thinking of using these guys to go visit my family in a few weeks...good thing I didn't book the tix.

Biscayne738

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Via, Aerodynamics (ADI), Elite, and OneJet all have questionable financials and operations it seems?.

connorc

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 pm

They haven't had a good track record for a while. Clarksburg Airport booted them for their disappointing service.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/55322-clarksburg-axes-viaair-contract-airport-seeks-new-carrier

I flew with them last summer for a day trip from PKB to CLT to check out some breweries in Charlotte. I knew of their spotty record but I thought I'd roll the dice. The flights were going to give me 8 hours in Charlotte. That would be able to give me enough time even with a delay. I figured worst case scenario, I'd go to the Carolinas Aviation Museum if I was really pressed for time. However, I didn't anticipate a 7 hour delay.

After a few weather delays and a mechanical delay, they told us (myself and two other passengers) the E120 surely wasn't going anywhere today and a E145 would be flying up from CLT to take us there. The agent didn't really know when that'd be but they said they'd call me so I could at least leave the airport and explore Parkersburg (which turned into late morning bar hopping). To there credit, they did call me.....I had 3 separate ViaAir agents call me to try to rebook me on that later flight. At that point I figured, I'd just fly to CLT even if it meant turning right around and flying back. Eventually I returned to the airport for my flight hours later to a find the same E120 on the ramp. Somehow they fixed the "unrepairable" plane.

Although all of the ViaAir employees were quite nice to me, it was quite clear no one knew what was ever going on.

hiflyeras

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:11 pm

drdisque wrote:
The CLT focus city is a remnant of their EAS contracts. Their first EAS contract was Beckley, WV, which they bid from CLT for some reason. They added Florida tags to the Beckley flight to help utilization and because they weren't able to get an interline with AA.

Thanks for the info...sounds like they're just barely hanging on. And when an airline flies to places I've never even heard of in the US like Beckley WV I doubt they'll be missed. I'll feel bad for the employees that have stuck around though. I waited until the end at my first airline...had my head in the sand...was a big mistake.

CHOWahoo

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 pm

This is par for the course for this operation. LWB and SHD also petitioned to extract themselves from EAS arrangements with ViaAir. Flights rarely operated on time, if at all.

F27500

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm

DocLightning wrote:
SJCMSP wrote:
tys777 wrote:

LOL. Buh-bye, airline.

Agreed! And to quote Heidi Klum: "You Can Weave Da Wunway".

Okie

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
My guess is they cant refund the money without putting their cash situation close to ZERO. Yes, I think they could be that LOW on cash

If you used a credit card then you should have some recourse here. Although I did notice the company rep indicated in the OP article that the ticket had been used which would give ViaAir access to the credit card funds. If you used a Debt Card you would be SOL. I believe a quick call to credit card company would put a hold on ViaAir receiving funds.
An airline not having access to funds for ticket sales before service was one of the issues that helped sink F9 and BN in the past.

SJCMSP wrote:

Dumping passengers a hundred miles farther from their destination without recourse is a service they offer free of charge. :duck:

Okie

LovePrunesAnet

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 am

drdisque wrote:

They are building Focus Cities in AUS and SFB. They had some EAS markets in West Virginia but have been booted from most of them. They use the ULCC terminal in AUS.

Oh wow! Focus city in Austin! I know some Austin Fanboys who want Delta to make a focus City in Austin but maybe they'll be happy with Via Air!

IPFreely

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:13 am

SJCMSP wrote:

SY refunded tickets and passengers could either go find another flight or just go home. With Via Air, the passengers can't just go home because the airline flew them 100 miles away in the wrong direction. It's pretty funny when you think about it.

lavalampluva wrote:

I don't think they had any reputation to destroy. I've never heard of them and I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority, even on this board.

spinkid

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 am

They definitely didn't have a reputation. Its a shame. If they were able to be on time and reliable in their EAS markets, they had a real shot at success. Providing connecting opportunities to Florida from CLT would be a great idea, but you can't do that only flying 1-3 weekly and charging $500-$600 roundtrip.

Its also sad that the employees just up and left them there. This is the inherit danger of outsourcing your ground crew. Its not their airline, not their immediate supervisor, they don't care..................I'm going to hope the flight crew was unaware.

DocLightning

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:43 am

spinkid wrote:
They definitely didn't have a reputation.

They do now! :bigthumbsup:

FlyHappy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 am

sounds like Via has been headed down this road for a long time, and this could be the end (forcibly would be best really - euthanized).

IPFreely wrote:

SY refunded tickets and passengers could either go find another flight or just go home. With Via Air, the passengers can't just go home because the airline flew them 100 miles away in the wrong direction. It's pretty funny when you think about it.

Though putting pax on the ground 100 miles away in the wrong direction, with no refund might sound worse (and yes, a bit funny) than SY's debacle in Los Cabos and Mazatlan... its not. SY left 2 737 loads of returning US vacationers 1700, 1800 miles from home, in a foreign country; the promise of a (future) refund is quite meaningless in that setting; they coudn't just "go home". In particular, getting from Mazatlan to Minnesota when Delta isn't flying that route is both difficult and expensive.

Via simply doesn't have the capital to run scheduled services. SY (and particularly its execs) committed a willful, immoral and ethical crime in choosing to leave those families on the ground and not attempt rescue flights or engage another operator to do so on their behalf. SY had the financial resources to "make things right", but they actively chose not to.

SY's sins are far greater than Via's, IMO.

AirKevin

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
And when an airline flies to places I've never even heard of in the US like Beckley WV I doubt they'll be missed.

I've heard of Beckley only for the fact that I drive trucks for a living, so I've passed through there multiple times in the past. That said, I didn't know there was even an airport in Beckley.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

I actually kinda liked Via's emerging strategy of connecting secondary and tertiary markets nonstop to SFB--places like JAN, BTR, MOB, and MGM that G4 or F9 wouldn't touch with a 320 but Via might make work with a regional jet. No guarantee it would work, but it seemed worth trying.

DocLightning

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 pm

So I've just read their CoC and, while IANAL, it seems pretty clear that they breached their contract.

http://flyviaairlines.com/docs/coc.pdf

See "FAILURE TO OPERATE ON SCHEDULE OR FAILURE TO CARRY."

But from other posts here, it appears that they do not generally believe in honoring contracts.

FlyHappy

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 pm

DocLightning wrote:
while IANAL

ugh. I really don't like this acronym.
but, ViaAir is pretty shitty.

sccutler

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 am

I flew 'EMC Tucson - Austin a month or two ago, and while they ran a little late, it got me there. Folks were nice.

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 am

All I can say is that they aren't long for this world.

DesertAir

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:50 pm

This is the difficulty using airlines, especially new ones, that offer limited service to their destinations. When a problem arises they often drop the ball, since in the fine print, passengers have almost no rights. The company should have a Plan B when things go wrong.