Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheEuphorian
Topic Author

Why do Chinese Airlines do not fly widebodies into BKK?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:07 pm

BKK is one of the most popular destinations for Chinese travellers, which that alot of Chinese airlines fly there, but all the flights are with a 737-800 or an A320-200. Wouldn't it will make more sense to fly widebodies there?

FlyHappy

Re: Why do Chinese Airlines do not fly widebodies into BKK?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm

why?
there's a huge market from secondary cities, and even into secondary cities in Thailand (not just BKK), so why not fly smaller aircraft with lower operating costs and benefit from frequency and flexibility?

when range, airport capacity and need for "premium space" isn't a issue, narrowbodies often provide a better path to profitable operations than widebodies.

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 pm

I believe China Eastern uses the A330 on the Shanghai - Bangkok route, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, these distances are all short enough to be flown on narrow bodies. This also allows for a higher frequency.

zakuivcustom

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:40 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I believe China Eastern uses the A330 on the Shanghai - Bangkok route, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, these distances are all short enough to be flown on narrow bodies. This also allows for a higher frequency.

(Somewhat pumping this old thread)

MU do indeed use a widebody on their sole PVG-BKK flight (There are 3 more on FM). It's usually a A332, but seems like it's upgauge to a 77W for the past week or so.

But yes, like other people already said, there's simply no need to fly widebodies when you can instead fly 2-3x daily narrowbodies from each larger cities in mainland China to BKK (or CNX/HKT, etc.). Chinese carrier's service to BKK are also 99% focused on O&D, also, compare to, let say, CI/BR/CX (All 3 flew tons of widebodies into BKK), who are around 70% O&D and 30% connection.

https://www.oag.com/blog/hong-kong-an-i ... nnectivity

You can see the amount of Thailand connection traffic at HKG, and not surprisingly, CX runs 9-10x widebodies between the two (including those 773A that can carried 400+ pax, and it's also one of the first route, along with HKG-SIN, that sees A35K for training/familiarization). And all these with HKG-BKK not even as important as it once was (Used to have tons more fifth freedom flights on that route).