Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cory6188
Topic Author

US Inbound Int'l Flight Security Questioning - US vs. Foreign Airlines

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 pm

When flying to the US on an international flight (other than from Canada/Mexico) on a US airline, government regulations require you do a security "interview" before you can check-in (or they catch you at the gate if you do OLCI and don't stop at the ticket counter). For example, DL has two whole areas set up for this in AMS at D1 and E1 for the interview process. However, if you're flying into the US on a foreign carrier, you don't have to deal with the questioning.

Regardless of the merits of the whole security interview requirement, it seems like a pretty glaring loophole that the security interviews aren't conducted on foreign carriers flying into the US. If someone had nefarious intent, seems like a pretty easy workaround to just take KL from AMS to JFK, for example, rather than DL.

Anyone have any insight into the rationale there?

skipness1E

Re: US Inbound Int'l Flight Security Questioning - US vs. Foreign Airlines

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Isn’t the security theatre, er interview an FAA rule for US carriers?

jetblueguy22

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 pm

The thought process is probably that if someone wants to hijack a US bound aircraft they would want to do it with a US airline for extra psychological effect.

Wednesdayite

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Must admit, I thought the enhanced screening and associated questioning applied to passengers flying on all airlines that fly to the USA. Not just U.S. carriers.

Can you share the original DHS press release (or other guidance) that relates to the policy you have raised?

Cubsrule

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
Must admit, I thought the enhanced screening and associated questioning applied to passengers flying on all airlines that fly to the USA. Not just U.S. carriers.

Can you share the original DHS press release (or other guidance) that relates to the policy you have raised?

I can’t speak to rules or requirements, but I have certainly been questioned on European carriers. At the bigger hubs where partner carriers are close to each other (e.g. CDG), it’s often the same folks doing the questioning.

GoSharks

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:11 pm

I've found that Japan->US flights on UA have basically no additional screening. Pretty much just show your passport and go.

33lspotter

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Not sure if it would be classified as an "interview," but Danish security folks asked all passengers boarding my DY flight from CPH to BOS a number of questions before boarding: what we did for work, where we were, etc.

Cory6188
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:

I can't say I have a specific policy or press release to reference - speaking from personal experience. On European carriers, they'll ask the standard question or two if at check-in as to if you packed your bags yourself and if they've been with you since you packed them, but not the whole song and dance about purpose of your trip, who bought your ticket, how long you were abroad for, etc. Also, the quick baggage questions are typically asked by the check-in agent, while the more elaborate interview is done by a contractor (frequently ICTS for DL flights, it seems, but the agencies vary).
Last edited by Cory6188 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClipperYankee

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Just recently I've been questioned on Norwegian and XL Airways flights, out of ARN and CDG respectively. A lot fewer questions out of the latter, though.

rwsea

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:32 pm

At least at AMS, DL is the only one with this setup. No similar process on KLM. Security theater and nothing else.

AWACSooner

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 pm

rwsea wrote:
At least at AMS, DL is the only one with this setup. No similar process on KLM. Security theater and nothing else.

Yep...which is why I fly KLM instead of DL back to the States from there whenever I can. I got the whole 20 questions in BRU on Friday...with a rather insulting tone from the Belgian questioner the entire time...

All in the name of "security."

rwsea

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I'll never understand how we are any safer answering these questions. Every pax going to the US has gone through the same security as the passengers heading elsewhere. Thus, regardless of the 'interview', they've been through security. What's more, as the passengers are all mixing within the terminal, it would be very easy to change luggage with someone after security or after any interview. Same goes for the SSSS extra screening at many airports as well...

EWR777

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 pm

I recently flew ZRH to EWR on Swiss Air and they interviewed every passenger at the gate before boarding. Are you sure it's only US airlines that go through this?

a340crew

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 pm

As of last October , foreign carriers were required to conduct this "security interview" as well for all flight departing to the USA. At some airports its a security person prior to check in, and at others the actual check in agent asks the questions. There is usually also a security person at the gate area who will ask the security questions to inbound connecting passengers who did not get there interview at check in.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 20266.html

n757kw

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I transited Incheon back in March on Korean Air. Prior to security screening we were separated by US flights and all other flights. Everyone bound for the US was asked a number of questions. Non US destinations went straight to security.

N757KW

alggag

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:41 pm

I've had the questions when flying AF on CDG-USA. Very annoying.

Jayafe

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 pm

rwsea wrote:
I'll never understand how we are any safer answering these questions. Every pax going to the US has gone through the same security as the passengers heading elsewhere. Thus, regardless of the 'interview', they've been through security...

Because they like feeling special and keep the public scared.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 am

A few data points from the last year:

-BA from LHR (multiple times): Nothing but some passengers pulled for secondary

-BA from LGW (multiple times): Nothing but some passengers pulled for secondary

-AA from LHR: Random questions asked at check-in (primarily about employment)

-Cathay Pacific from HKG: Separate FC check-in with guard asking questions before being allowed to go to check-in. Then at the gate more questions and brief search of carry on before being allowed to podium

Cory6188
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 am

a340crew wrote:
As of last October , foreign carriers were required to conduct this "security interview" as well for all flight departing to the USA. At some airports its a security person prior to check in, and at others the actual check in agent asks the questions. There is usually also a security person at the gate area who will ask the security questions to inbound connecting passengers who did not get there interview at check in.

Well, I stand corrected - thanks for sharing. I actually haven't been on a foreign airline on an international inbound to the US since October, so I hadn't realized the policy changed.

Either way, it definitely didn't make much sense previously where it applied to US airlines and not to foreign carriers.

LGAviation

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 am

Cory6188 wrote:
a340crew wrote:

Well, I stand corrected - thanks for sharing. I actually haven't been on a foreign airline on an international inbound to the US since October, so I hadn't realized the policy changed.

Either way, it definitely didn't make much sense previously where it applied to US airlines and not to foreign carriers.

I'm also a bit surprised since I definitely did not have an interview on Icelandair in May, how would they even do that with most passengers having a mere 45 mins between their two flights.

spacecadet

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:42 am

My wife (who is Japanese) was subject to enhanced screening on ANA flying NRT-JFK. I, an American, was not.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with airline. It seems completely arbitrary and random. Which is not necessarily a bad idea, but struck me as both a little bit funny and a little bit annoying when it happened to my wife but not me, on a Japanese airline no less. I mean, I was standing right next to her. We were obviously together.