Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pepper456
Topic Author

Croatia in the final of the WC, what solo you think that Will occour to aviation?

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am

New companies in ZGB (Will arrive to 20 mil pax Faster)?
The other airports DBV and SPU, they Will grow also?

anshabhi

Re: Croatia in the final of the WC, what solo you think that Will occour to aviation?

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am

Sorry, but I don't think there's a correlation between sports and aviation.

Pepper456
Topic Author

Re: Croatia in the final of the WC, what solo you think that Will occour to aviation?

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 am

Um talking about tourism...

runway23

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 am

Pepper456 wrote:
Um talking about tourism...

The two are hardly linked.

Having game of thrones in Croatia is a bigger draw than Croatia reaching the World Cup finals.

FlyRow

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 am

Having game of thrones in Croatia is a bigger draw than Croatia reaching the World Cup finals.

Being cheap, unspoiled and beautifull is way more compelling then any of the above.

The tourism growth in Croatia isn't linked to football, it is happening for a long time. lock this topic please, it's pointless.

Andy33

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 am

I really can't see any connection between Croatia reaching the World Cup final and a possible increase in tourism to Croatia. Anyone who knows anything about football will understand that in Europe a high proportion of the players in all of the national teams actually work and play for clubs in other countries. There's far more chance of seeing members of the successful team playing outside Croatia than inside it.
I suppose there could be people who had no idea there was a country called Croatia before this World Cup, but they are likely to be the very ones who don't travel much anyway.

SCQ83

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 pm

I don't think it will change anything, but this is a good promotion for Croatia. Most tourists in Croatia are from nearby countries like Germany, Austria, Italy or Eastern Europe in general.

For instance, only 750k British and 500k French visited Croatia in 2017 compared to 19M British and 11M French visiting Spain in the same period. Of course Spain is a way bigger and better known holiday market, but the difference is brutal; for every British or French visiting Croatia, there were 20 visiting Spain.

In any case tourism in Croatia has been booming for the last few years, with double digit growth every year.

Pepper456 wrote:

20 million PAX in Zagreb? ZAG had 3.1 million PAX in 2017... get real.

Socrates17

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Does anyone know when TK started flying to ICN? I was in Seoul during the 2002 World Cup and TK crew were staying at the same hotel as I was. I seem to recall that this was a fairly New Thing at the time. Turkey and South Korea both made it to the semifinals. This is probably a coincidence though since plans would have to have been made long before Turkey even knew that it would qualify.

hOMSaR

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

They're well on their way to needing a six-runway airport.

Slash787

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm

I don't think so people visit India or has an increase in Tourism just cause the Indian Cricket Team has won the cricket World Cup 2 times.

Moose135

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Slash787 wrote:
I don't think so people visit India or has an increase in Tourism just cause the Indian Cricket Team has won the cricket World Cup 2 times.

Does anyone outside of India know that? I don't follow soccer (football) in the least, and even I know what's happening in the World Cup. Croatia appearing in the final won't necessarily result in an increase in tourism, but all the talk of Croatia in the news will get more people to check out the place, not to mention the various "puff pieces" that television loves to run, showing human-interest type stories about the players and the country. I can imagine some people being enticed to check out Croatia as a possible vacation location.

ScottB

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
They're well on their way to needing a six-runway airport.

I'll be the first to predict hourly A380s between ZAG and EXT! Oh, and 2x daily AUS-ZAG on DL using HNA group white tail A330s!

chepos

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Moose135 wrote:
Slash787 wrote:

Does anyone outside of India know that? I don't follow soccer (football) in the least, and even I know what's happening in the World Cup. Croatia appearing in the final won't necessarily result in an increase in tourism, but all the talk of Croatia in the news will get more people to check out the place, not to mention the various "puff pieces" that television loves to run, showing human-interest type stories about the players and the country. I can imagine some people being enticed to check out Croatia as a possible vacation location.
m

Cricket is popular in other parts of the world, not just in India. Very popular in some of the English Caribbean nations. Back on topic. While it will bring free global publicity I am not sure there will be a sudden mad rush of people heading to Croatia. It is a growing torism destination though, surprised a US carrier has not launched a summer seasonal to ZAG. AC and TS are already there’s.

2travel2know2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Does Croatia Airlines even have an aircraft with Croatia national football team livery?
During the finals and after the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018, people may talk about Croatia and be curious about it, but the effect on tourism and air-traffic might as well be negligible.

bluejuice

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Pepper456 wrote:

Game of Thrones probably has a bigger effect on tourism in Croatia than the World Cup.

Cunard

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm

FlyRow wrote:

Being cheap, unspoiled and beautifull is way more compelling then any of the above.

The tourism growth in Croatia isn't linked to football, it is happening for a long time. lock this topic please, it's pointless.

Regarding your last sentence I fully agree but the title of the thread is the the worst I've seen on here for a while!

But in saying that Croatia is an absolutely beautiful country having visited it myself on several occasions and the fact that the Croatian National Football Team are in the final of the FIFA World Cup in Russia can only benefit the country long term with more being aware of what the country has to offer.

I'm sure we're see a slight growth in tourism to Croatia on the back of this tournament.

Pepper456
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 pm

I created this topic because when Portugal won EURO 2016 and Eurovision in 2017, have a tourist boom, when I go to Porto centre and Lisbon there are a lot of tourist that some years ago doesnt exist...
People say that football conquers helps economy of a country and so tourism...
People see that Croatia reached the final and asks wow what is this country? Im going to search for them...
And if they like says oh im going to have a visit to this country
Last edited by Pepper456 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pepper456
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:08 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I don't think it will change anything, but this is a good promotion for Croatia. Most tourists in Croatia are from nearby countries like Germany, Austria, Italy or Eastern Europe in general.

For instance, only 750k British and 500k French visited Croatia in 2017 compared to 19M British and 11M French visiting Spain in the same period. Of course Spain is a way bigger and better known holiday market, but the difference is brutal; for every British or French visiting Croatia, there were 20 visiting Spain.

In any case tourism in Croatia has been booming for the last few years, with double digit growth every year.

Pepper456 wrote:

Im not talking next year, in a space of 5 10 years...

mig21umd

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 am

Croatia is already very well know as a tourist destination but I do think the story of Croatia reaching the World Cup final could compel some to visit especially in Asia where football is massive and if they haven't heard much about Croatia in some of those parts before (which I think they already have judging by the tourist trends from Asia) than this could give Croatia a pretty decent boost. Asians, especially from some of those countries which are seeing more tourist based travel, seem to be drawn to what is being talked about around the western world..... Like the rest of us.

SCQ83

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:27 am

Pepper456 wrote:

Spain won the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa and the Spanish economy only went downhill from there. So the recent case of Spain proves you wrong.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Pepper456 wrote:
I created this topic because when Portugal won EURO 2016 and Eurovision in 2017, have a tourist boom, when I go to Porto centre and Lisbon there are a lot of tourist that some years ago doesnt exist...
People see that Croatia reached the final and asks wow what is this country? Im going to search for them...
And if they like says oh im going to have a visit to this country

So according to you, tourists didn`t go to Portugal "some years" before 2016? That's hardly accurate. Tourism has been growin in Portugal since 2011. The whole of Europe is already a heavily visited continent. including Croatia.

Zagreb airport has been seeing steady growth since the early 2000s, (except for 2009 and 2013). Some of those years saw double digit growth, including last year. ZAG has non stop flights to North America during the summer seasons. There is a reason for that.

Sure, Croatia's performance at the WC will help a bit, but to say that tourism will boom because of it is nonsense, especially since tourism is alreadly booming in that country.

Pepper456
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:10 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Pepper456 wrote:

Spain won the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa and the Spanish economy only went downhill from there. So the recent case of Spain proves you wrong.

Im talking small countries...

zakuivcustom

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 pm

mig21umd wrote:
Croatia is already very well know as a tourist destination but I do think the story of Croatia reaching the World Cup final could compel some to visit especially in Asia where football is massive and if they haven't heard much about Croatia in some of those parts before (which I think they already have judging by the tourist trends from Asia) than this could give Croatia a pretty decent boost. Asians, especially from some of those countries which are seeing more tourist based travel, seem to be drawn to what is being talked about around the western world..... Like the rest of us.

Doubtful. If WC really matter THAT much, KE would not have already planned to start ICN-ZAG before Croatia make it to the final :white:

In another word, Croatia is already growing like crazy for (East) Asian tourists before the WC. Yes, South Korean still dominates for (east) Asian arrival (400k in 2017, vs. ~150k for Japan and ~120k each from Taiwan and (mainland) China), but the growth rate, especially among Chinese, had also been crazy (~50% growth YoY 2016 to 2017).

Now, if you're talking 1998 World Cup, Croatia making it all the way to Semi-final back then put it on the map, in both football and also becoming "known" (remember, Croatia just became independent not too long back in 1998). But 2018? It is definitely no longer an "unknown" destination. I would say once Croatia join Schengen area (It'll happen sooner or later), that would create a larger boost compare to any short-term effect from WC.