CarlosSi
Topic Author

Future of commercial flight and fuel reserves

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 am

...and what it means to pilots.

Aircraft still use the same type of fuel (hydrocarbons) as they did since the Wright flyer made its first flight in 1903. What sort of future are we looking at in the next 20-30 years as we continue to deplete the world's available supply of fossil fuels? In my opinion, we aren't moving fast enough to find better, more available fuel sources (instead relying on stuff like coal ignorant of the fact that it is in limited supply and not recharging fast enough for later use). Even if aircraft become more fuel efficient, I don't believe the entire airline industry is reducing the amount of consumption due to constant expansion.

Training to be a pilot, this is potentially concerning, even amid this supposed "pilot shortage". Is such growth of the airline industry sustainable when it's crutched by fuel? Most sources say oil could run out as soon as 2050...

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green- ... ssil-fuels

PatrickZ80

Re: Future of commercial flight and fuel reserves

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

The best way to reduce consumption is to lower frequency. Some routes are operated at insane frequencies with sometimes half empty planes. This should not be allowed as it is basically burning fuel to haul empty seats. Frequencies should be reduced to lower the number of empty seats, instead of two half full planes you can have one full plane. This saves the fuel of one flight. It may be less convenient, but that's the price we'll have to pay.

Also for short distances where ground transportation is a viable alternative flying should not be allowed. For example both Amsterdam and Paris Charles de Gaulle have a high speed train station, there are trains running between the two airports. Still it is one of the busiest flown routes in Europe. Imagine the amount of fuel you can save on this route if all passengers would take the train instead of a flight. This goes for feeder flights as well. Trains can already be booked as flights and have a flight number so it goes in one booking.

If we do these kind of things we can do longer with the little fuel we have left, it buys us more time to develop alternatives.

As for the pilot shortage, if there are less flights you also need less pilots. That's a way to solve the shortage.

CarlosSi
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The best way to reduce consumption is to lower frequency. Some routes are operated at insane frequencies with sometimes half empty planes. This should not be allowed as it is basically burning fuel to haul empty seats. Frequencies should be reduced to lower the number of empty seats, instead of two half full planes you can have one full plane. This saves the fuel of one flight. It may be less convenient, but that's the price we'll have to pay.

Also for short distances where ground transportation is a viable alternative flying should not be allowed. For example both Amsterdam and Paris Charles de Gaulle have a high speed train station, there are trains running between the two airports. Still it is one of the busiest flown routes in Europe. Imagine the amount of fuel you can save on this route if all passengers would take the train instead of a flight. This goes for feeder flights as well. Trains can already be booked as flights and have a flight number so it goes in one booking.

If we do these kind of things we can do longer with the little fuel we have left, it buys us more time to develop alternatives.

As for the pilot shortage, if there are less flights you also need less pilots. That's a way to solve the shortage.

I see, although it's hard for me to believe that the airlines would switch from frequency to capacity. Also I wouldn't be surprised if airlines embraced having "standing seats" to reduce hypothetical high costs, or cut down on free frills and charge.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:51 am

CarlosSi wrote:
I see, although it's hard for me to believe that the airlines would switch from frequency to capacity. Also I wouldn't be surprised if airlines embraced having "standing seats" to reduce hypothetical high costs, or cut down on free frills and charge.

Not unless they're forced to do so by law. This is where the government needs to step in and hand out no more capacity than the airlines can fill, that's the only way it'll work. Two half full flights? As long as the first flight isn't full the second flight doesn't get permission. The government should be leading in this process. Can't leave it up to the airlines, they'll screw up.

CarlosSi
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Not unless they're forced to do so by law. This is where the government needs to step in and hand out no more capacity than the airlines can fill, that's the only way it'll work. Two half full flights? As long as the first flight isn't full the second flight doesn't get permission. The government should be leading in this process. Can't leave it up to the airlines, they'll screw up.

Some would say the gov would screw up. I would think the airlines would be smart in doing what's most economical, efficient, and hopefully most considerate to their available resources.