Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BobbyPSP

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Who are the people who are having to go to so much trouble for something that is not their fault?

But an airplane is only incidentally a trigger risk. Serving peanuts on airplanes may be a custom or common practice, but it's not inherent to air travel, and if it can be changed to make it more accessible to everyone without restricting anyone's choices of airlines, seating options, etc. then that absolutely should be done. It shouldn't be incumbent on people with these kinds of allergies to have to do extra planning that everyone else doesn't have to do to avoid incidental risks.

Sure WN is probably smart here stopping serving peanuts however I have every right in the world to bring my own peanuts onboard and consume them. You do not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot eat.

You need to educate yourself; you don't have 'rights' when flying. Plus your statement, to put it mildly, is selfish

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:52 am

BobbyPSP wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:

But an airplane is only incidentally a trigger risk. Serving peanuts on airplanes may be a custom or common practice, but it's not inherent to air travel, and if it can be changed to make it more accessible to everyone without restricting anyone's choices of airlines, seating options, etc. then that absolutely should be done. It shouldn't be incumbent on people with these kinds of allergies to have to do extra planning that everyone else doesn't have to do to avoid incidental risks.

Sure WN is probably smart here stopping serving peanuts however I have every right in the world to bring my own peanuts onboard and consume them. You do not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot eat.

You need to educate yourself; you don't have 'rights' when flying. Plus your statement, to put it mildly, is selfish

You need to educate yourself. Southwest has explicitly stated that passengers are allowed to bring their own peanuts on-board, so I will be taking advantage of that. Southwest has the right to tell me what I can/cannot do, not other passengers.

BobbyPSP

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 am

Not worth arguing with you. Always the newbies that think this is social media and a snarky attitude and self centered, egotiscally remarks

IPFreely

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
You need to educate yourself. Southwest has explicitly stated that passengers are allowed to bring their own peanuts on-board, so I will be taking advantage of that. Southwest has the right to tell me what I can/cannot do, not other passengers.

If you're going to buy your own before going to the airport (at non-airport prices), why not buy in bulk and offer a small bag of peanuts to your seatmates or those seated in nearby rows? Many people -- me included -- would appreciate a bag of peanuts if we were expecting one on a Southwest flight and found out they stopped their long tradition of peanuts.

spinotter

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:02 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

If you're going to buy your own before going to the airport (at non-airport prices), why not buy in bulk and offer a small bag of peanuts to your seatmates or those seated in nearby rows? Many people -- me included -- would appreciate a bag of peanuts if we were expecting one on a Southwest flight and found out they stopped their long tradition of peanuts.

So you like peanuts so much that you would rather endanger your fellow passengers than do without peanuts for the duration of the flight? Really? Tell us you are sh*tting us on this one, because I find it hard to believe that a human being could be so lacking in compassion.

KentB27

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 pm

ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.

That's Western culture for you. If one person doesn't like it or can't have it then no one else gets to have it either. It only takes one person to ruin something for everybody else.

Super80Fan

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 pm

BobbyPSP wrote:
Not worth arguing with you. Always the newbies that think this is social media and a snarky attitude and self centered, egotiscally remarks

But you are arguing with me, so here we are. "Always the newbies". What a snarky, self centered, egotiscally remark.

IPFreely

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 am

spinotter wrote:
So you like peanuts so much that you would rather endanger your fellow passengers than do without peanuts for the duration of the flight? Really? Tell us you are sh*tting us on this one, because I find it hard to believe that a human being could be so lacking in compassion.

Did you not read Super80Fan's post? Southwest is clearly allowing passengers to bring their own peanuts on board. So peanuts are not, I repeat, not banned. If Super80Fan brings peanuts and I don't think of it, I would appreciate being offered some. And if I had a jar of peanuts I would certainly return the favor by offering some to him or any of my fellow seatmates. People who are allergic and snowflakes are free to say "no thank you."

masgniw

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 am

Save yourself and abandon this thread! It's a dumpster fire of flame wars, pedantry and grandstanding.

Southwest1137

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:56 am

I will miss those tiny bags of peanuts being passed out... I should have saved one off my last flight!