PlanesNTrains
Posts: 8071
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:48 am

Bald1983 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.


I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.


Or they go to something cheaper, claiming to be protecting health.


Absolutely. Any company is gonna put the most positive spin on any decision. I doubt that this was a straight-up peanut cost vs pretzel cost decision, but maybe so.
-Dave
 
rbavfan
Posts: 2369
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 am

[quote="BobbyPSP"]Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.[/quote


Just another fact. My friend clamed eating peanuts around her would cause an allergy reaction. She proved it more than once. Sadly she missed the reaction on more than 1 holiday when people had nuts at their house. So why does she always have a reactio. When she sees a peanut, ut not when she does not. She also says she is allergic to all nuts. Funny thing, peanuts are not nuts. They are a member of the bean family. She eats beans all the time. Never had the rea tion she has when she sees the nut. Sadly many who are alergic overreact when they see one. There are many illnesses that people do that, not all people but many.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 2369
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 am

gatibosgru wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.


Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?


It's a win win for everyone but the people who like peanuts. And I think the bigger fuss is coming (at least on this thread) from those complaining about the change.

Southwest wins:

Lower liability
Lower cost

Pax wins:

Still get a snack
If you have sensitivity or allergy to peanuts you'll be flying more comfortably (it's not all about death, allergy reactions come in a variety of ways).
If you're not allergic/sensitive then your quality of flight changes in no way (you can still bring your own peanuts as an extra snack if you'd like).

Overall a small change that can make the lives of some flyers a little more comfortable and safe while limiting Southwest's liability.

Sounds like people are more upset a change is being made to accommodate others than because they'll actually miss the peanuts?


It's not a win for us diabetics or heart desease that are not supposed to eat high carb snacks. Peanuts are a good protien that does not affect us. Pretzals and cookies can kill us. But at least the peanut people will live. See how that feels.
 
User avatar
NYPECO
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 am

PEK777 wrote:
Bringing a large bag of peanuts on every flight from here on out. Snowflakes!


Who is a snowflake? You're upset because an airline is choosing not to serve you peanuts...
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 8071
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 am

rbavfan wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?


It's a win win for everyone but the people who like peanuts. And I think the bigger fuss is coming (at least on this thread) from those complaining about the change.

Southwest wins:

Lower liability
Lower cost

Pax wins:

Still get a snack
If you have sensitivity or allergy to peanuts you'll be flying more comfortably (it's not all about death, allergy reactions come in a variety of ways).
If you're not allergic/sensitive then your quality of flight changes in no way (you can still bring your own peanuts as an extra snack if you'd like).

Overall a small change that can make the lives of some flyers a little more comfortable and safe while limiting Southwest's liability.

Sounds like people are more upset a change is being made to accommodate others than because they'll actually miss the peanuts?


It's not a win for us diabetics or heart desease that are not supposed to eat high carb snacks. Peanuts are a good protien that does not affect us. Pretzals and cookies can kill us. But at least the peanut people will live. See how that feels.


It's not hard: Just don't put the high carb snacks in your mouth. I have seen a lot of controversy around the idea that people can react to peanut dust in the air, but the two are totally different circumstances. Peanut dust in the air (or on surfaces) is not in your control nearly as much as not stuffing a granola bar down your throat is.

This is one of those things where I think we make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Frankly, if that tiny pack of nuts is your lifeline on a flight, you should probably be bringing some snacks anyhow.
-Dave
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm

:wink2: Just wait until LUV starts charging bag fees if you want to see people go crazy.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 990
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 pm

rbavfan wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?


It's a win win for everyone but the people who like peanuts. And I think the bigger fuss is coming (at least on this thread) from those complaining about the change.

Southwest wins:

Lower liability
Lower cost

Pax wins:

Still get a snack
If you have sensitivity or allergy to peanuts you'll be flying more comfortably (it's not all about death, allergy reactions come in a variety of ways).
If you're not allergic/sensitive then your quality of flight changes in no way (you can still bring your own peanuts as an extra snack if you'd like).

Overall a small change that can make the lives of some flyers a little more comfortable and safe while limiting Southwest's liability.

Sounds like people are more upset a change is being made to accommodate others than because they'll actually miss the peanuts?


It's not a win for us diabetics or heart desease that are not supposed to eat high carb snacks. Peanuts are a good protien that does not affect us. Pretzals and cookies can kill us. But at least the peanut people will live. See how that feels.


Didn't realize you could die or have a reaction to airborne carbs.
@DadCelo
 
User avatar
ricport
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

picarus wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

Shame on you WN for caving to such BS.


The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Seriously people...you’re messed up if you think anything else.

Picarus


Oh, please. And the level of stupidity and total abdication of personal responsibility on this board gives me hope for humanity...not.

If you are that sensitive, then it is incumbent on YOU (or, in the case of children, the parents) to be prepared and adjust. There are people with perfume allergies, dog/cat allergies, etc... How about we ban perfumes and deodorant and send fluffy and spot to meet Jesus because of a relatively miniscule proportion of the population? Am terribly sorry for people with these allergies, but life goes on. Deal with it.
 
evank516
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:23 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

Shame on you WN for caving to such BS.


Yeah, I mean all they want is to not go into anaphylatic shock or die on an airplane while they go on vacation or to visit relatives or something. Those pansies...

FYI Those allergic to peanut allergies CAN be very sensitive and even dust particles from peanuts or touching something that came into contact with a peanut can nearly kill them.

Gluten Allergies are different. I have it. It won't kill me to eat a pretzel, but I'll be chillin in the lav for the rest of the flight. You may want to use the rear lav and not congregate around the front if I go in.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 7078
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:28 pm

ricport wrote:
picarus wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago? Such a bunch of pansies these days. Grrrr.

Shame on you WN for caving to such BS.


The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Seriously people...you’re messed up if you think anything else.

Picarus


Oh, please. And the level of stupidity and total abdication of personal responsibility on this board gives me hope for humanity...not.

If you are that sensitive, then it is incumbent on YOU (or, in the case of children, the parents) to be prepared and adjust. There are people with perfume allergies, dog/cat allergies, etc... How about we ban perfumes and deodorant and send fluffy and spot to meet Jesus because of a relatively miniscule proportion of the population? Am terribly sorry for people with these allergies, but life goes on. Deal with it.


There are many different allergies, but peanut allergy is a very common allergy. Just because some people have to abstain from peanuts a few hours it is painted into a major catastrophe. What problem is in taking some consideration to the people around you?

If you can not eat peanuts for a few hours, man up and deal with it.
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:54 pm

BobbyPSP wrote:
Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.

Some people are in danger due to gluten exposure. Not life or death but an episode at 35k feet would feel worse than death for that person
 
peanuts
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm

What. is. the. big. deal?
Always carry a snack (peanuts, nuts, beef jerky etc), in your carry-on when traveling. Stop being so dependent on a "free" handout.
 
SWAplanner
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.


Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?


It's a win win for everyone but the people who like peanuts. And I think the bigger fuss is coming (at least on this thread) from those complaining about the change.

Southwest wins:

Lower liability
Lower cost

Pax wins:

Still get a snack
If you have sensitivity or allergy to peanuts you'll be flying more comfortably (it's not all about death, allergy reactions come in a variety of ways).
If you're not allergic/sensitive then your quality of flight changes in no way (you can still bring your own peanuts as an extra snack if you'd like).

Overall a small change that can make the lives of some flyers a little more comfortable and safe while limiting Southwest's liability.

Sounds like people are more upset a change is being made to accommodate others than because they'll actually miss the peanuts?


Not lower cost... Pretzels cost us more than peanuts. Also, I imagine once Provo decides on replacement, it will cost more than the Peanuts cost us.
All of my posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

cathay747 wrote:
ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.


My dear fellow, your post was pleasing beyond all proportion, I'm so glad somebody said this.


Translation: I'm a sociopath who doesn't care how my actions harm others!
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT".


It would be helpful if you actually familiarized yourself with the circumstances surrounding that case, rather than just relying on your uninformed gut reaction.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

spinotter wrote:
ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.


This is a potentially life-threatening situation for those with severe peanut allergy, and you see it as punishmen.


There are a lot of narcissistic sociopaths in the world, and particularly in the US. You've encountered one of them.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
spinotter wrote:
ual763 wrote:
For God sakes, so because a few people have peanut allergies, the rest of us get punished. Typical. What about the person that brings their own snack mix on board that includes peanuts? The truth of the matter is people with allergies have to be careful. There will always be a risk, so they should just take steps to control said risk. Aka read labels, clean surfaces, and carry epi-pens.

What shouldn’t happen is a blanket ban that punishes everyone else on board who happen to like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.


This is a potentially life-threatening situation for those with severe peanut allergy, and you see it as punishment. Other passengers should be courteous enough not to bring peanuts on board. Your missing peanuts for a six-hour flight maximum is going to ruin your life? Give me a break.


I had peanut allergies for many years until I fortunately was able to outgrow them. When I was allergic, I took proper precaution on my own, sitting on my own at lunch, bringing my own food with me to places, and avoiding places that served them such as Southwest flights or eating at Five Guys.

No one should have to go to that much trouble for something that's not their fault.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm

spinotter wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
spinotter wrote:

This is a potentially life-threatening situation for those with severe peanut allergy, and you see it as punishment. Other passengers should be courteous enough not to bring peanuts on board. Your missing peanuts for a six-hour flight maximum is going to ruin your life? Give me a break.


I had peanut allergies for many years until I fortunately was able to outgrow them. When I was allergic, I took proper precaution on my own, sitting on my own at lunch, bringing my own food with me to places, and avoiding places that served them such as Southwest flights or eating at Five Guys. It's called personal responsibility. I will now be buying and consuming peanuts on every WN flight I take from here on out in protest.


But what about other people, who still have peanut allergies and some much worse than yours - life-threatening in fact? You seem like an example of the Stockholm syndrome, going over to the enemy - in this case peanuts. Very strange.


It's simpler than that: it's "---- you, got mine."
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm

chicawgo wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
A National Institutes of Health study puts the incidence of peanut allergy at about 1% of the population. (That's not to say 1% of people will die from peanut exposure.) But, when you've got 158 million enplaned passengers annually, 1% is a big number.


I know I'm gonna get excoriated for this but...

Pretty much nothing else in our society works that way except maybe ADA compliance. Taking fairly drastic measures to accommodate 1% of the population is not practical. What percentage of the population has heart disease? Prone to deep leg thrombosis? Or thousands of other issues that put people at a higher risk of danger on an airplane?


This is an astoundingly dumb argument.

Please explain to me what particular, everyday actions I might take that would cause problems for others with those conditions.

Peanut allergies can be triggered by the actions of others, which is why we restrict everyone for the benefit of those suffering from them. It's not clear to me, however, how my eating a bacon cheeseburger will give someone else a heart attack.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Prost wrote:
Pro/con peanuts. Is there a more first world problem than this debate?


I mean, this only affects people who have access to affordable, reliable air travel in the first place, so...
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:15 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
PEK777 wrote:
Bringing a large bag of peanuts on every flight from here on out. Snowflakes!

I find it incredibly amusing that somebody who is so angry about not being allowed to eat peanuts for a 3 hour duration to protect people who can have fatal reactions to the product is calling other people "snowflakes"

You're dealing with a sociopath.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 pm

rbavfan wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Yeah, limiting liability, like having to put a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that "CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT". Seriously? And if everyone does have nuts...is the gist of this that the mere smell/aroma of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction? Again, as I said above, I have no such allergies so I don't really know, therefore I mean no disrespect to those with such allergies, but seriously?


It's a win win for everyone but the people who like peanuts. And I think the bigger fuss is coming (at least on this thread) from those complaining about the change.

Southwest wins:

Lower liability
Lower cost

Pax wins:

Still get a snack
If you have sensitivity or allergy to peanuts you'll be flying more comfortably (it's not all about death, allergy reactions come in a variety of ways).
If you're not allergic/sensitive then your quality of flight changes in no way (you can still bring your own peanuts as an extra snack if you'd like).

Overall a small change that can make the lives of some flyers a little more comfortable and safe while limiting Southwest's liability.

Sounds like people are more upset a change is being made to accommodate others than because they'll actually miss the peanuts?


It's not a win for us diabetics or heart desease that are not supposed to eat high carb snacks. Peanuts are a good protien that does not affect us. Pretzals and cookies can kill us. But at least the peanut people will live. See how that feels.


What an idiotic response.

You don't have to eat what they serve you if you find it harmful. There are also alternatives to peanuts that meet your needs that would not cause problems for people with peanut allergies. Furthermore, you can eat all the peanuts you want in your own home, away from anyone who you might kill!

Given that there are all those options available to you, the absence of peanuts on your flights will not cause complications from your diabetes. However, the presence can kill someone who has a peanut allergy. So, given a choice between a course of action that harms no one, and a course of action that could potentially kill people, you're upset that an airline went with the first?
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
Antarius
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Well then if the person next to you tells you that they are allergic to nuts, make sure you don't open them. If you do, then I wholeheartedly pray and hope that you spend the rest of your life in jail on manslaughter


If someone nearby is allergic and asks me to refrain, I'd be happy to do so. That is totally different from banning them altogether. Same issue at a Baseball game - someone may be allergic.. if they ask, you can oblige but do we stop it there too?

This has nothing to do with empathy or whatever the soap box is. It is a level of reasonableness that we can apply to society. This is on the path of the anti-alcohol-on-flight people due to a handful of rage incidents or the hasidic crowd on El Al refusing to sit next to women.

Extrapolating based on an overfit data set is a bad bad idea.

Unfortunately not everyone shares your common decency: https://www.allergicliving.com/2014/08/ ... incidents/


Sure, but if you scroll further down in the article you cite

Dr. Matthew Greenhawt: The short answer is that it is highly unlikely for a passenger to inhale nut protein from someone consuming nuts a few rows in front of him/her. There is no evidence that has been able to show that such dust circulates. Five studies in the past 10 years have addressed this concept and found the following results:
2018 : AUA | CLT | IAH | HOU | DFW | COS | DEN | CLL | ORD | PVG | PEK | PHX | OAK | SFO | SJC | PHL | YYC | STL | DTW | HNL | OGG | JFK | LGA
 
User avatar
cranberrysaus
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Y'all need to seek some professional help if you're this upset about no longer being served peanuts on airplanes.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:51 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
Y'all need to seek some professional help if you're this upset about no longer being served peanuts on airplanes.

They probably need to be locked up for the good of society. If they show such little regard for the safety and well-being of those around them in this case, what kind of harm will they cause others the next time their personal convenience or sensibilities are challenged or subordinated to others' safety?
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
Aptivaboy
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm

but do you seriously mean to tell me that if I open a bag of peanuts next to a seatmate who's allergic to them, they're going to break out in an allergic attack?


Yes, that's precisely what can happen. I once was eating Snickers bar in a room with an allergy sufferer. I was at least 5-10 feet away from them and they went into near-shock. We sent him to the medical folks and they got him stabilized. Yes, I triggered the allergy, me and my danged Snickers bar!

The bottom line is that yes, it is an issue. And yes, the rest of us are being inconvenienced because of it. I don't know what the solution is. I suspect the airlines don't want liability issues so this is their way of addressing the problem.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 8071
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:
Y'all need to seek some professional help if you're this upset about no longer being served peanuts on airplanes.

They probably need to be locked up for the good of society. If they show such little regard for the safety and well-being of those around them in this case, what kind of harm will they cause others the next time their personal convenience or sensibilities are challenged or subordinated to others' safety?


Being an ass on an internet board doesn't make someone a sociopath that needs to be locked up. Some people just get off on riling others.

I don't think there should be a big issue for people not getting peanuts on airplanes. I disagree with the notion of only eating nuts in your own home. I don't think reasonable people would say we need to restrict peanut consumption to that degree. Not sure if that's what you were implying a few posts back:

BerenErchamion wrote:
Peanut allergies can be triggered by the actions of others, which is why we restrict everyone for the benefit of those suffering from them. It's not clear to me, however, how my eating a bacon cheeseburger will give someone else a heart attack.
-Dave
 
barney captain
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Per the latest info, preboarding will still be offered to anyone claiming a peanut allergy. This will allow them time to wipe down any surfaces.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 8071
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 pm

barney captain wrote:
Per the latest info, preboarding will still be offered to anyone claiming a peanut allergy. This will allow them time to wipe down any surfaces.


It'd be interesting to know how often this happens at other airlines? I have a feeling that whatever the number is at WN, it's a fraction of that at OAL.
-Dave
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 8071
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

Or they go to something cheaper, claiming to be protecting health.


Absolutely. Any company is gonna put the most positive spin on any decision. I doubt that this was a straight-up peanut cost vs pretzel cost decision, but maybe so.
I think it is more likely they were seeing a loss of revenue from people who don’t book WN because they have peanut allergies. I know of people who would only book peanut free airlines.


Could be.
-Dave
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I guess it boils down to limiting liability and solving a health concern all at the same time. The chances of someone pulling out peanuts next to someone with a peanut allergy are obviously greatly lower than someone having a reaction when everyone has nuts.


Or they go to something cheaper, claiming to be protecting health.


Absolutely. Any company is gonna put the most positive spin on any decision. I doubt that this was a straight-up peanut cost vs pretzel cost decision, but maybe so.
I think it is more likely they were seeing a loss of revenue from people who don’t book WN because they have peanut allergies. I know of people who would only book peanut free airlines.
 
usctrojan18
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:23 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 pm

peanuts wrote:
What. is. the. big. deal?
Always carry a snack (peanuts, nuts, beef jerky etc), in your carry-on when traveling. Stop being so dependent on a "free" handout.


THIS! :old: :old: :old:

It's not that hard for people to stop at a mini-mart, grocery store, or even airport shop and just buy a quick snack. The longest Southwest flights are about 5 1/2 hours, while most flights are 3 and under. If you really choose to not fly Southwest because you can not go 3 hours without peanuts or too cheap to spend $3-4 on a small bag of fruit or chips, then I doubt Southwest will be that sad you are not flying them. Were the peanuts tasty? Sure. Do they make or break my flights? No. I eat them for a minute at most.

I'm honestly amazed how heated and long this thread got. I thought a.net only fought over LHR, the 747-8i, ME3 v US3, DTW, Delta, etc, but this thread might take the cake :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
chicawgo
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
chicawgo wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
A National Institutes of Health study puts the incidence of peanut allergy at about 1% of the population. (That's not to say 1% of people will die from peanut exposure.) But, when you've got 158 million enplaned passengers annually, 1% is a big number.


I know I'm gonna get excoriated for this but...

Pretty much nothing else in our society works that way except maybe ADA compliance. Taking fairly drastic measures to accommodate 1% of the population is not practical. What percentage of the population has heart disease? Prone to deep leg thrombosis? Or thousands of other issues that put people at a higher risk of danger on an airplane?


This is an astoundingly dumb argument.

Please explain to me what particular, everyday actions I might take that would cause problems for others with those conditions.

Peanut allergies can be triggered by the actions of others, which is why we restrict everyone for the benefit of those suffering from them. It's not clear to me, however, how my eating a bacon cheeseburger will give someone else a heart attack.


I understand what you're saying. To be more clear, my analogy was not meant to say that those are similar in the sense of others being able to cause harm, the analogy was simply that our society in general rarely takes significant action to protect an extremely small group of people. As I said in my post, 40,000 people die in the US in car accidents each year. That is an astoundingly large number yet no one is calling for an end to automobiles. On the other hand, how many people have died from being exposed to peanut dust on an airplane? Ever? I did a Google search and I can't find even one. Logically, I would say that our society should ban personal vehicles, at least in populated areas. Can you imagine if we saved 40,000 American lives every year? Do we really need our cars?

I know you will probably say that this analogy is not fair... but I'm only making the point that it is a very unusual situation where huge amounts of media attention have somehow created the illusion that this is a serious societal issue.

And with regard to your other posts, just because someone is participating in discourse and weighs on the other side of the issue than you, that doesn't make them a bad person. Everything is a slippery slope and there's nothing wrong with healthy debate. If you didn't see my post earlier in the thread, I was in paid F on DL ordering crabcakes for dinner when a passenger claimed a shellfish allergy. Pilot decided that half of F would not get dinner. I suppose you would say "boo hoo, so you had empty tummies, that's better than anaphylactic shock and death." But, again, where do you draw the line. It's a fair discussion to have. By the way, the shellfish allergy ordered the chicken and did not share it with the half of F that went hungry.
 
kalvado
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Well then if the person next to you tells you that they are allergic to nuts, make sure you don't open them. If you do, then I wholeheartedly pray and hope that you spend the rest of your life in jail on manslaughter


If someone nearby is allergic and asks me to refrain, I'd be happy to do so. That is totally different from banning them altogether. Same issue at a Baseball game - someone may be allergic.. if they ask, you can oblige but do we stop it there too?

This has nothing to do with empathy or whatever the soap box is. It is a level of reasonableness that we can apply to society. This is on the path of the anti-alcohol-on-flight people due to a handful of rage incidents or the hasidic crowd on El Al refusing to sit next to women.

Extrapolating based on an overfit data set is a bad bad idea.

Unfortunately not everyone shares your common decency: https://www.allergicliving.com/2014/08/ ... incidents/

Best part of it is that Dr. goes into great lengths explaining that a person consuming nuts 4 rows away is very unlikely to cause any effect - but failure to wipe down surfaces actually can do the trick... SO yes, some people are not considerate.. of themselves.
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Nuts!
For the record, about 2/3rds of the kids with peanut allergies have helicopter parents that don't understand peanuts oil spread on a face causes a rash and even plugs pores (zits).

For the third that have the alrrgy, we need to figure out what is going wrong.

Famine in Africa, we fly in peanut paste, number of allergic reactions to date: zero (sister is an allergist on a committee that investigated).

I remember in 4th grade one kid had the allergy and that was just elementary school Armageddon to have a classroom peanut free for all lunches.

Sigh.. as I look over at my empty 3lb box of peanut snacks. :spit:.

Well... Sunflower butter isn't that bad...


Slightly OT, buy my personal opinion is that the fast growing allergy rates is more of a first world problem. A significant amount of children are being conceived through IVF and other non-evolutionary means that are weakening the human gene pool. I suspect this type of thing will get worse as more and more babies are conceived this way. On an evolutionary scale it would be interesting to watch in the next few hundred years. Fraid I won't be around that long.

As far as peanut allergies go, I could not find one confirmed *airborne* example on the google. I did however find this as the second hit:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... d-way.html

You would essentially have to spit or throw peanuts into someone's mouth, or in rarer cases: on their skin, to cause anaphylaxis.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
 
chicawgo
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Nuts!
For the record, about 2/3rds of the kids with peanut allergies have helicopter parents that don't understand peanuts oil spread on a face causes a rash and even plugs pores (zits).

For the third that have the alrrgy, we need to figure out what is going wrong.

Famine in Africa, we fly in peanut paste, number of allergic reactions to date: zero (sister is an allergist on a committee that investigated).

I remember in 4th grade one kid had the allergy and that was just elementary school Armageddon to have a classroom peanut free for all lunches.

Sigh.. as I look over at my empty 3lb box of peanut snacks. :spit:.

Well... Sunflower butter isn't that bad...


Slightly OT, buy my personal opinion is that the fast growing allergy rates is more of a first world problem. A significant amount of children are being conceived through IVF and other non-evolutionary means that are weakening the human gene pool. I suspect this type of thing will get worse as more and more babies are conceived this way. On an evolutionary scale it would be interesting to watch in the next few hundred years. Fraid I won't be around that long.

As far as peanut allergies go, I could not find one confirmed *airborne* example on the google. I did however find this as the second hit:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... d-way.html

You would essentially have to spit or throw peanuts into someone's mouth, or in rarer cases: on their skin, to cause anaphylaxis.


Brilliant post. I'm sure you agree no reason to be "fraid" we won't be around that long to see the effects.
 
BobbyPSP
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:29 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:44 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:
Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.

Some people are in danger due to gluten exposure. Not life or death but an episode at 35k feet would feel worse than death for that person


Absolutely not true and I have celiac. Facts?
 
Bald1983
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

Or they go to something cheaper, claiming to be protecting health.


Absolutely. Any company is gonna put the most positive spin on any decision. I doubt that this was a straight-up peanut cost vs pretzel cost decision, but maybe so.
I think it is more likely they were seeing a loss of revenue from people who don’t book WN because they have peanut allergies. I know of people who would only book peanut free airlines.


They would see no loss of revenue. Very few people have peanut allergies and those who do eschew SWA because of peanuts, it makes no difference to revenue. Getting rid of them saves money, hence better cash flow. The allergy situation allows SWA to get rid of them and cloak it with good intentions.
 
canyonblue17
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:18 pm

RIP - Rest In Peanuts
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Absolutely. Any company is gonna put the most positive spin on any decision. I doubt that this was a straight-up peanut cost vs pretzel cost decision, but maybe so.
I think it is more likely they were seeing a loss of revenue from people who don’t book WN because they have peanut allergies. I know of people who would only book peanut free airlines.


They would see no loss of revenue. Very few people have peanut allergies and those who do eschew SWA because of peanuts, it makes no difference to revenue. Getting rid of them saves money, hence better cash flow. The allergy situation allows SWA to get rid of them and cloak it with good intentions.
Getting rid of customers saves money and makes no difference to revenue? This is completely wrong. Also, the idea that very few have peanut allergies I believe is misguided too. Anyone with kids knows there seems to be at least one in every classroom. There is a good chance that whole family is not flying Southwest. I am not saying the effect is large, but I bet it is there.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 pm

chicawgo wrote:
And with regard to your other posts, just because someone is participating in discourse and weighs on the other side of the issue than you, that doesn't make them a bad person.


It does when the particular position they're taking is sociopathic and morally-indefensible.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
I think it is more likely they were seeing a loss of revenue from people who don’t book WN because they have peanut allergies. I know of people who would only book peanut free airlines.


They would see no loss of revenue. Very few people have peanut allergies and those who do eschew SWA because of peanuts, it makes no difference to revenue. Getting rid of them saves money, hence better cash flow. The allergy situation allows SWA to get rid of them and cloak it with good intentions.
Getting rid of customers saves money and makes no difference to revenue? This is completely wrong. Also, the idea that very few have peanut allergies I believe is misguided too. Anyone with kids knows there seems to be at least one in every classroom. There is a good chance that whole family is not flying Southwest. I am not saying the effect is large, but I bet it is there.


No one in China has peanut allergies.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
picarus wrote:

The level of ‘compassion’ on this board gives me hope for humanity—not. The fact is the largest percentage of anaphylactic peanut and nut allergies affect children, with those and percentages growing each year. For those so put out by the removal of peanuts from Southwest, I strongly suggest you visit a pediatric E/R to get a different perspective. For many, they are unaware they have a food allergy, or they just may not have reached the tipping point to push them into anaphylaxis.

Any medical professsional on this board care to comment on how critical it is to administer epinephrine and transport to a hospital immediately? I don’t think anyone with a food allergy sees it as a way to “beat the system” and board early for some so-called coveted seat. I’m thinking they just want to stay alive.

Seriously people...you’re messed up if you think anything else.

Picarus

Agree Picarus.

I would like to think most on here are grumpy and old, so not going to be around too much longer, but suspect quite the opposite is true, so despair at the future.

Aviation has a tendency to attract the crowd that were brainwashed in the school system by Ayn Rands free books. Hence the people referring to an overweight person suffering severe nausea in a flight as a "chunky monkey", laughing as a man has his head slammed into an armrest for simply refusing to deboard a plane he had the legal right to be on, and the people who simply do not care about others suffering. These people feel no empathy, and will only show compassion when they feel it benefits them socially. I would like to think they are a dying species, but I have seen a disturbingly high number of young people behave like them. Pretty, kind and caring on the outside, but behind the mask of a keyboard letting out their true nature


You know, I kind of get it.

After all, I used to think like they did--my only concern was for my convenience, and what happened to others was of no account.

Then I turned 5.

Maybe one day these people, too, will exit toddlerhood.

That or their parents just didn't do a very good job of teaching them how to be adults.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
dredgy
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am

ual763 wrote:
like and/or are not allergic to peanuts. What about the people allergic to lactose? Gluten? Why not just ban all food? Absolutely stupid imo. Sorry if it offends someone, but it’s ridiculous. We can’t safety proof everything.


"because we can't safety proof everything, we shouldn't even try" is not a great argument. Especially when this is a risk that's very easy to mitigate.

But the reason why peanuts & not lactose or gluten or anything else is banned is that a severe peanut allergy can be triggered by airborne particles of peanut protein, which is a particular problem on a plane when dozens/hundreds of peanut packets are opened at once and fling protein dust into the air - a problem not encountered with other foods (a salted pretzel for example won't fling dust/crumbs when open). It's a very specific case where dozens of packets are being opened at once, and even then a reaction is extremely unlikely to occur.

Peanut allergies are typically only triggered by ingestion - not by touch or smell - so bringing your own peanuts are fine - one, or even 10, packets of peanuts being opened at once is not going to present a problem. If your seatmate is allergic to peanuts for example, you could rub your nuts all over their face and they'd be fine, so long as you don't make your seatmate lick them.

While ditching peanuts is a safe option - redesigning packaging or just serving the nuts in a bowl would actually also essentially eliminate all risk, as you wouldn't have packets being torn open with force flinging peanut dust everywhere. That would be a bit more expensive though.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
spinotter wrote:

This is a potentially life-threatening situation for those with severe peanut allergy, and you see it as punishment. Other passengers should be courteous enough not to bring peanuts on board. Your missing peanuts for a six-hour flight maximum is going to ruin your life? Give me a break.


I had peanut allergies for many years until I fortunately was able to outgrow them. When I was allergic, I took proper precaution on my own, sitting on my own at lunch, bringing my own food with me to places, and avoiding places that served them such as Southwest flights or eating at Five Guys.

No one should have to go to that much trouble for something that's not their fault.


Who are the people who are having to go to so much trouble for something that is not their fault?
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
This seriously pisses me off. Gosh, how did people survive 50 years ago?


They probably didn't.
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm

spinotter wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I had peanut allergies for many years until I fortunately was able to outgrow them. When I was allergic, I took proper precaution on my own, sitting on my own at lunch, bringing my own food with me to places, and avoiding places that served them such as Southwest flights or eating at Five Guys.

No one should have to go to that much trouble for something that's not their fault.


Who are the people who are having to go to so much trouble for something that is not their fault?


People who have to go out of their way and do extra planning that others don't, in order to avoid places where allergy triggers exist, but incidentally rather than inherently.

The difference?

A peanut oil factory is inherently a trigger risk for people with peanut allergies. They're probably going to have to stay away from them, and there's not a whole lot that can be done about that.

But an airplane is only incidentally a trigger risk. Serving peanuts on airplanes may be a custom or common practice, but it's not inherent to air travel, and if it can be changed to make it more accessible to everyone without restricting anyone's choices of airlines, seating options, etc. then that absolutely should be done. It shouldn't be incumbent on people with these kinds of allergies to have to do extra planning that everyone else doesn't have to do to avoid incidental risks.
It's OK to be rude to fascists.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13001
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
spinotter wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
No one should have to go to that much trouble for something that's not their fault.


Who are the people who are having to go to so much trouble for something that is not their fault?


People who have to go out of their way and do extra planning that others don't, in order to avoid places where allergy triggers exist, but incidentally rather than inherently.

The difference?

A peanut oil factory is inherently a trigger risk for people with peanut allergies. They're probably going to have to stay away from them, and there's not a whole lot that can be done about that.

But an airplane is only incidentally a trigger risk. Serving peanuts on airplanes may be a custom or common practice, but it's not inherent to air travel, and if it can be changed to make it more accessible to everyone without restricting anyone's choices of airlines, seating options, etc. then that absolutely should be done. It shouldn't be incumbent on people with these kinds of allergies to have to do extra planning that everyone else doesn't have to do to avoid incidental risks.


I'd agree with you but for the lack of science on contact with airborne peanut dust (?) causing any sort of reaction, let alone anaphalaxis. Is there any reported case of that in the literature?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:21 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
spinotter wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
No one should have to go to that much trouble for something that's not their fault.


Who are the people who are having to go to so much trouble for something that is not their fault?



But an airplane is only incidentally a trigger risk. Serving peanuts on airplanes may be a custom or common practice, but it's not inherent to air travel, and if it can be changed to make it more accessible to everyone without restricting anyone's choices of airlines, seating options, etc. then that absolutely should be done. It shouldn't be incumbent on people with these kinds of allergies to have to do extra planning that everyone else doesn't have to do to avoid incidental risks.


Sure WN is probably smart here stopping serving peanuts however I have every right in the world to bring my own peanuts onboard and consume them. You do not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot eat.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
 
BobbyPSP
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:29 pm

Re: Southwest Airlines going Peanut Free!

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:
Just a few facts: peanut allergy can be triggered by folks eating peanuts nearby. For most folks this can cause a severe reaction: anaphylactic shock.

Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) which I have is an autoimmune response. I'm in no danger from folks eating things like bread next to me. And if i were exposed to wheat/rye/barley, I stil would not be in life/death danger situation.

It's probably getting to the point, for southwest, that too many folks are claiming allergies .

I will sat this, last Feb flying WN to SEA I was offered a large belvita snack. I politely said I cannot eat it and thank you when the FA offered me peanuts. She understood. Thought it was quite nice.


Some people are in danger due to gluten exposure. Not life or death but an episode at 35k feet would feel worse than death for that person


This is not a correct statement. If you've just been recently diagnosed, then yes, your body is not healed yet. Otherwise a slight cheat is NOT going to cause someone to feel like death.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: foppishbum and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos