Max Q
Topic Author

Kai Tak observation deck

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 am

Anyone remember the observation deck on the roof of the terminal ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

BartSimpson

Re: Kai Tak observation deck

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 am

No, but I remember that I went to a parking garage that was quite close to the threshold. It was a great spot for plane watching a shooting pictures. I also went outside the terminal building to take pics directly at the perimeter fence.

B-HOP

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 am

Yes, went there as a kid with my dad, cost 2 dollars to get in, could spend a whole afternoon there with a pack of walnut, it was semi-sheltered, gave way too Cathay Pacific Business class lounge by around 92-93.

Kev
Live life to max!!!

flyingclrs727

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 am

I've never been to Hong Kong, but I had a girl friend in the late 80's who grew up there. Her family described how dramatic it was to land at Kai Tak. It's astounding watching the videos of 747's coming in low over the roofs of houses. The one thing I haven't seen is a video from inside a plane landing at Kai Tak.

Trololzilla

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
The one thing I haven't seen is a video from inside a plane landing at Kai Tak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-ArLYsloI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3Ccs5tKfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVb6x8eYCO8
;)

zakuivcustom

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 am

BartSimpson wrote:
No, but I remember that I went to a parking garage that was quite close to the threshold. It was a great spot for plane watching a shooting pictures. I also went outside the terminal building to take pics directly at the perimeter fence.

That would be the roof floor of parking garage for Kowloon City Plaza shopping mall (Like you, I used to went there as a kids quite often). I believe quite a few Kai Tak landing video that you can find nowaday were taken there (the other popular spot would be right at the checkerboard hill).

No memory of an actual onservation deck myself, though. I guess if it closed in 92-93, I would be way too young to remember anything.

trex8

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Back in the 70s there was a observation deck on the roof of the terminal. I lived in Hk and Taiwan 6 years then, spent many hours at Kai Tak with my illegal radio listening to ATC.

n92r03

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:09 pm

My first visit to HKG was 3 years too late for Kai Tak. We now have this; from SpottersWiki

Point 1. Skydeck above Terminal 2
This is deemed the 'official' spotting point at HKIA. It is located just about a few hundred meters south of the RWY 25R landing path, and the deck itself is on top of a building which is about 30 - 40 meters high. Planes landing on both RWY 25R and RWY 25L can be viewed from here, as can some apron movements. There is no fence or glass in front of you and it is just simply a 'building roof' overlooking the airport. Note that the viewing area has no roof-top and also no facilities; for instance toilet, food kiosk or vending machine. Visitors need to go downstairs back to Terminal 2 for drinks, snacks, toilet, etc.

Access and Transport

Start in HKIA terminal 2. With your back facing the drop off area, there is an escalator on the far left end (near check-in aisle N). Take the escalator up 1 level to the 6th floor. You will see the entrance of Aviation Discovery Centre with some artificial runway painting on the wall, etc. Tickets to the skydeck are sold at the counter, ask the ticketing staff for further directions to skydeck.

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday: 1045 (approx.) - 2145 local time Saturday / Sunday / public holiday: 1000 (approx.) - 2145 local time

Not open when thunderstorm warning is up.

Entrance fee: HKD 15.00 (ticket to be bought at entrance of the Aviation Discovery Centre on the upper level of Terminal 2)

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 am

I lived in Hong Kong between 1972 and 1981

It’s where all my first aviation memories started, I got my private pilot licence there and as an enthusiast I’ll never forget the visits to the observation deck on the roof at Kai Tak

It was an amazing era in an extraordinary place, I was lucky to be a part of it
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.