Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LongHaul101
Topic Author

Why Moxy Airways annoys me.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Moxy Airways is a new airline coming to the United States in 2020. As you might of heard the jetBlue founder David Neeleman is planning to launch a new airline in the United States called "Moxy". Neeleman is arguably one of the most successful men in the aviation industry. He has worked at Southwest, jetBlue and, more recently, Azul. He is a God in the aviation industry. However Moxy is likely to face the most competition from Neeleman's two American airlines, Southwest and jetBlue. Southwest is an aviation juggernaut with hundreds of aircraft. Far more than the 60 Cseries' that Moxy will have. And JetBlue has the same product offering as Moxy will have but JetBlue operates to the big city airports and not secondary airports like Moxy will. This is not what annoys me. It's that Neeleman has already taken a significant chunk out of the US market when there are still so many that he could make a much bigger impact on.

I live in London and there are only two options for traveling in Europe. Legacy of low cost carrier. And more and more often legacy carriers seem to move into the latter. I'm looking at you British Airways. What I would love is if Neeleman launched Moxy in Europe. There are a number of people who are unhappy with the legacy carriers on short haul but are not big fans of LCC's either. Me for example. For a glorious couple of years we had Virgin Atlantic Little Red. Granted it only operated a couple of routes in the UK but it gave us the Virgin Panache on some short European flights. I would rather pay a bit extra to have the service, I'd even travel to Luton for it. But we never seem to get it in Europe. We only ever get more Ryanair or BA.

So Mr Neeleman if you're reading this (and I highly doubt you are) please would you create one of your brilliant airlines in Europe and in the future Asia and Africa. You could make a much bigger difference in the market and it would be much more appreciated by people who would like a bit more service than an lcc but not too much more expensive.

vhf

Re: Why Moxy Airways annoys me.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 pm

DN is already doing that in Europe, with TAP

enilria

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Neeleman isn’t a European citizen so he really can’t.

Also, JetBlue has like 3 hubs. I doubt Neeleman will even have a hub. He says it won’t.

C010T3

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Actually, Neeleman has acquired Cypriot citizenship according to some reports months ago.

MoKa777

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:52 pm

So you would like a European hybrid carrier. New and unburdened by legacy issues, having a lower cost base so thereby offering competitive fares and offering oodles of style, innovation and a strong brand..?

juliuswong

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:00 am

The issue is the market where "pax is willing to pay a bit extra" is very (very) much smaller compared to those hunting for bargain fares. Hybrid airlines have been trialled and tested many times over in Europe, it didn't quite actually got off ground. In Asia too.

Malindo of Malaysia initially tried LCC, then hybrid (found that complimentary cake and apple/orange juice were too expensive, then downgrade to crackers/biscuits and a 500ml mineral water) and they're now full fare.

Indy

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 am

juliuswong wrote:
The issue is the market where "pax is willing to pay a bit extra" is very (very) much smaller compared to those hunting for bargain fares.

There might be a lot of cheap people but you cannot ignore the large (likely larger than you think) group of customers willing to pay more for better service. Just look at the growing success of premium economy products. People are willing to pay a bit more for a bit better service. What they are not willing to do is pay a significant amount for for a bit better service.

FA9295

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:18 am

So you're not annoyed at the airline concept itself, but you're just annoyed that it's not going to be in Europe?

I understand your arguments, however I think it should be noted that you just want a similar airline to be established in Europe.

FA9295

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:21 am

enilria wrote:

Also, JetBlue has like 3 hubs. I doubt Neeleman will even have a hub. He says it won’t.

I mean, what did Richard Branson start in the U.S.? I know that's a terrible comparison, but I'm sure Neeleman could do it if he really wanted to. :D

OA940

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:24 am

So Easyjet, Ryanair, Norwegian and Wizzair aren't good enough? They literally have hundreds of routes each from LON. And if you're too high class for LCC's you can connect to another hub and waste 2 hours of your life to avoid BA because my God are they awful as of lately.

enilria

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm

FA9295 wrote:
enilria wrote:

I mean, what did Richard Branson start in the U.S.? I know that's a terrible comparison, but I'm sure Neeleman could do it if he really wanted to. :D

That's actually a pretty cautionary tale. It added years to the startup because of his citizenship creating issues in terms of FAA approval of the financial structure.

LongHaul101
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 pm

OA940 wrote:
So Easyjet, Ryanair, Norwegian and Wizzair aren't good enough? They literally have hundreds of routes each from LON. And if you're too high class for LCC's you can connect to another hub and waste 2 hours of your life to avoid BA because my God are they awful as of lately.

I would definitely waste 2 hours of my life to connect via Frankfurt or Paris. But my job means that for most flights I have to use BA. And my family would not want to backtrack to Frankfurt when we're going to New York. So now when I fly to America with my family I always try to use Virgin Atlantic. Going to Asia or Oceania I always try to get Qatar Airways. Within Europe it's tough. I would love an airline that offers better service than Ryanair. I do like flying Norwegian but it doesn't always fit my schedule. My point is I would like a cheap flight with actual service. I have flown Joon and it's good but, like Norwegian, it doesn't always fit in with my schedule or lifestyle.

LongHaul101
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 pm

FA9295 wrote:
So you're not annoyed at the airline concept itself, but you're just annoyed that it's not going to be in Europe?

I understand your arguments, however I think it should be noted that you just want a similar airline to be established in Europe.

That's what it says. I'm annoyed at the airline because I will rarely get to fly it. If you had thought about it for a second after reading you would realize that I'm annoyed because their is nothing like that in Europe. When there were two in America JetBlue and Virgin America. Now just JetBlue and soon it will be two again when Moxy turns up.

OA940

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 pm

LongHaul101 wrote:
OA940 wrote:

I would definitely waste 2 hours of my life to connect via Frankfurt or Paris. But my job means that for most flights I have to use BA. And my family would not want to backtrack to Frankfurt when we're going to New York. So now when I fly to America with my family I always try to use Virgin Atlantic. Going to Asia or Oceania I always try to get Qatar Airways. Within Europe it's tough. I would love an airline that offers better service than Ryanair. I do like flying Norwegian but it doesn't always fit my schedule. My point is I would like a cheap flight with actual service. I have flown Joon and it's good but, like Norwegian, it doesn't always fit in with my schedule or lifestyle.

Complete outsider here (only flown Aegean/OA) but I've heard great things about Easyjet. As for Ryanair, who only fly intra-Europe, I'd be willing to pay less for a flight and miss out on that glorious BA service ;)

But luckily to cover my cheap needs and my good service hopes we have Aegean here (not biased at all :D )