Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jilali
Topic Author

72 minutes layover in Boston

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi, in september i will take a flight (United) from Newark to Milan, via Boston and via Frankfurt. In Boston I have 72 minutes of layover, so in this time I have to change terminal and do all the security checks. If I lose my connection because there was a long line at security check in Boston, will United rebooke me on the next flight for Milan or is my fault so I need to buy new tickets? Thank you (and sorry for my bad English).

KLDC10

Re: 72 minutes layover in Boston

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

I'm not sure I quite understand. Just to clarify; is your itinerary as follows:
Newark - Boston on United
Boston - Frankfurt on Lufthansa
Frankfurt to Milan on Lufthansa
?

If so, then you will need to transfer from Terminal B to Terminal E at Logan. You can do this by shuttle bus - lines 55 and 11. The bus shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

72 minutes is quite tight, and any delay on your inbound flight from Newark (which is quite possible) could prove problematic. Are your flights booked on the same ticket? If they aren't, you'll have to collect your bags from Terminal B yourself and that could scupper any chance of making your connection. Wait times at the central security checkpoint in Terminal E can be quite long too.

stlgph

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm

It also helps tremendously with the security lines if you are on the 5pm Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. If you're trying to go through security at 4pm you're probably going up against an SAS and the Iberia departure. If you're trying to get through for the 10pm departure, pretty much every gate has a departure at that time. HOWEVER, with it being September, you may get lucky with lighter loads trying to pass through than if you were doing this in say, the middle of July.

I think my biggest concern would be luggage.

senatorflyer

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:38 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
I'm not sure I quite understand. Just to clarify; is your itinerary as follows:
Newark - Boston on United
Boston - Frankfurt on Lufthansa
Frankfurt to Milan on Lufthansa
?

If so, then you will need to transfer from Terminal B to Terminal E at Logan. You can do this by shuttle bus - lines 55 and 11. The bus shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

72 minutes is quite tight, and any delay on your inbound flight from Newark (which is quite possible) could prove problematic. Are your flights booked on the same ticket? If they aren't, you'll have to collect your bags from Terminal B yourself and that could scupper any chance of making your connection. Wait times at the central security checkpoint in Terminal E can be quite long too.

You should be able to check your luggage through, if you are travelling with Star Alliance. If you are travelling on two separate tickets then United is not going to rebook you if you miss your flight. If you are on one ticket they will.

LH658

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Since it domestic connection, it shouldn't be a hassle, no security etc.

zrs70

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

LH658 wrote:

I don’t read this as a domestic connection. But even if it were, there is no airside transfer from UA to LH in BOS.

Kno

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm

That's really tight, if your flight is on time and you sit near the front of the plane from ewr you can make it but it won't be stress free. Terminal B to E is the most difficult connection you can make at BOS.

Kno

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:02 pm

LH658 wrote:

Why respond if you've never been to BOS or bothered to google the terminal layout?

The UA gates are a hike from the LH gates and he will have to leave security and re enter there is no connection between those terminals.

NickolayAv

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 pm

A risky choice, that will be a VERY tight connection, with little room for error. You can probably book it on one ticket through United, because of *A, but you will have to leave security. If you are talking about the evening flight on the A330 I wouldn't risk it, not worth the experience, also queues at Terminal E security will be much worse. If you are talking about the earlier B748 departure, I can understand the appeal of flying on the plane, and there will be fewer crowds at Terminal E, but any delay on the inbound from EWR will probably result in you missing the flight.