Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KrustyTheKlown

Re: Speculation on the official name and code for the new airport of Beijing

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm

BDX is taken, BJS is city code so it isn't available either.
DXG and DXA are available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_by_IATA_code:_D

DXG would be my choice as DXA sounds like an off-brand DXB.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Speculation on the official name and code for the new airport of Beijing

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Though the opening date for the new airport of Beijing has been officially announced to be on Oct 1, 2019, people are yet to know how the new facility would be named officially, so to speak, as the Chinese authorities seem reluctant to let the cat out of the bag until the last minute

But it hasn't dampened the enthusiasm of Chinese netizens in making guesswork

There is already lots of speculation in that regard on Chinese forums, with many names and IATA codes suggested (e.g, see topics http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5531227288, and http://bbs.feeyo.com/posts/600/topic-0011-6006009.html and http://bbs.feeyo.com/posts/589/topic-0011-5894001.html)

An obvious option is of course Daxing Airport, derived from the name of the district that hosts the new airport, which is also the norm for airport naming in China

Another name proposed is Yongding Airport, per the name of the famed River Yongding that flows near the new airport

Then there is the suggestion of Xiongan Airport, according to the name of the newly established special economic zone Xiongan New Area 60 km south to the new airport

Some ppl also proposed the new airport be named after political leaders' names (ancient or contemporary)

Proposed IATA codes that may be available for use:
BDX, DXG, DXA (relating to Daxing)
BJS (Using the existing city code for Beijing, as in the case of SHA representing Shanghai's Hongqiao Airport)
NAY (Preserving the code of the current minor Nanyuan Airport, which would close once the new airport opens)

What do you think of the above proposals? Or what suggestions do you have, esp the code thing? Any thoughts?

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:11 pm

What about BEI, short for Beijing. As far as I know it's not taken and it would be obvious.

mabadia71

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
What about BEI, short for Beijing. As far as I know it's not taken and it would be obvious.

BEI is Beica Airport in Ethiopia.

bgboiflyer

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:58 am

DXG or DXA sounds like a good potential. I wonder what the four letter ICAO would be, PEK is ZBAA, maybe ZBDX or ZBJD or something.
About the naming, it usually is named after the traditional region name rather than a newer devised homonym for the region. As example XIY is in Xianyang, so it is Xi'an Xianyang, CAN is neary Baiyunshan so Guangzhou Baiyun, and PVG is in Pudong, so Shanghai Pudong, so on so forth, so I highly expect them to simply refer to it as the Daxing airport, and that region already has a name for itself.

My hopes is it opens up ASAP, I am tired of the congestion already at PEK, 30+ minutes delay on every flight last time I was there, and this year we have a tight connection again!