Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

NY Mets games/concerts at Shea Stadium with LGA traffic going over

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:04 pm

How fun must this have been? If aircraft were taking off on runway 13, don't they make a right turn very near Shea...and the same with a left hand swing just before landing on runway 31?

How close and loud was it, especially in the 727 / DC-9 era.

stlgph

Re: NY Mets games/concerts at Shea Stadium with LGA traffic going over

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

CitiField is further east than Shea and closer to the flight path.

I've went to Shea and have been to CitiField plenty of times and have never been distracted at a baseball game or a concert by the planes coming over. Usually don't even hear them or notice them unless you're on the outer edges of the concourses.

However, some tennis players at some of the smaller courts during the U.S. Open at the tennis center to the east of the South Plaza have waited for planes to pass before their serve, mostly I've seen this on Courts 16 & 17.

evank516

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I once went to a Mets game for my cousin's birthday (this was Shea). I don't know who the Mets were playing because landings at LGA were on 31 so my eye was on the sky the whole time while everyone else watched the game. I still get crap for that one.

stlgph

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm

The views from some of the outer ledges at CitiField are nice, but it can get mundane and boring. Nothing but 737s & 175s flying over...Delta, Delta, American, Southwest, Delta, Delta, American, United, Southwest, Delta, Delta, American, Delta, United, Delta, OH AIR CANADA!

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Shortly before Shea Stadium closed I snagged these photos whilst landing on 31L at LGA. You can see the Arthur Ashe Stadium too. As others have noted CitiField puts you nearer the LGA action now...

stlgph wrote:
The views from some of the outer ledges at CitiField are nice, but it can get mundane and boring. Nothing but 737s & 175s flying over...Delta, Delta, American, Southwest, Delta, Delta, American, United, Southwest, Delta, Delta, American, Delta, United, Delta, OH AIR CANADA!

If you think that's boring how about El Monumental in Buenos Aires. Its proximity to AEP (the downtown Aeroparque) is similar to LGA and Shea Stadium/CitiField....I went there for a football match and it seemed every. fugging. aircraft. was an Austral or Aerolineas Argentina aircraft, haha!

spacecadet

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 am

727LOVER wrote:
How fun must this have been? If aircraft were taking off on runway 13, don't they make a right turn very near Shea..

They take off directly over Citi Field even today. You get a good view at the new stadium most days.

The difference is that both takeoff performance and noise are better in modern airplanes than they were through most of Shea's life. Also, a lot more big jets used to take off from LGA during Shea's time. So often planes would be bigger, louder and flying lower as they passed by Shea. I usually seemed to get "lucky" at the Mets games I went to and planes would be taking off the other way, but I watched a lot of Mets games on TV too through the 80's and the planes would often shake the cameras. The commentators would mention the noise periodically too, if it was a big plane flying low with just the right flight path. Occasionally you would see both the pitcher and batter obviously stop to wait until a plane had passed. I'd be surprised if there aren't YouTube video compilations of this.

I do specifically remember seeing a *Jets* game at Shea Stadium with my dad and his friends, and we were in the very top row of the stadium. I remember watching the planes out the back of our seats (so I was totally turned around from the game). And I remember one of my dad's friends saying "you're supposed to watch *those* Jets (pointing at the field), not *those* jets (pointing towards LGA)."

Stupid joke, but it's weird what you remember from when you're like 4 years old.

But I've been to Citi Field plenty of times and it's not hugely different, just a bit less noisy and with less interesting planes.

csavel

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 am

Well for most of the Shea era the Mets were pretty pathetic so it offered something to see when the Mets were losing. But a lot of people are right, back in the olden days, a 727 or DC9 screaming out of LGA was *loud!*.

PS I spent some time at Georgetown University in the early 80s, damn loved those old jets taking off from DCA. lectures had to be stopped!

tmu101

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 am

I remember going to Shea Stadium many times as a kid. LOVED those Pan Am and Eastern Shuttle 727s taking off right over the stadium - oh that rumble! :cloudnine: gosh I miss those days - just the variety of airplanes and airlines back then made going even near an airport exciting . I distinctly remember an AA DC-10 landing practically over our heads while on the Grand Central Parkway coming home after a game one night - SOOOOO INCREDIBLE! :cheerful:

I have only flown only twice out of LGA (usually fly into and out of EWR since it is so close to my parent's home) but on one trip (the cost of the ticket made the trip from northern NJ worthwhile to go out to LGA) I remember taking off on Runway 13 then flying over shea stadium (was in the morning so no game) then continuing the climb out flying over the middle of JFK - could clearly see the BA Concorde parked at T7 - what an incredible sight. Same trip coming home we flew up the Hudson at what must have been like 3000 feet (then did a 180 and landed on Runway 4 - that called the River Visual approach or something similar?) - you could almost reach out and touch the NYC skyline (Twin Towers, Empire State Building, etc. ) was a memorable trip no less. Would have been summer of 1999.

spacecadet

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 am

I couldn't find too many YouTube videos, and none of games happening (though I'm sure if you just tried to watch a random game from the 80's or 90's, you'd hear planes and see the cameras shake) but here's a video from Shea's last year of a plane taking off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJsawoRK3_c

You can see Citi Field's proximity as it was being prepped to open so you can probably guess that it's the same there today. This plane basically flies right between the two stadiums; some fly a little more east, some a little more west.

I always think it's so weird when I see these videos or photos from that year with both stadiums standing... I saw that view out the open back of Shea so many times growing up both in person and on TV, I got so used to it. And now, when I go to Citi Field, I'm used to seeing the parking lot and Citi Field. So it almost looks fake to me even now when I see the two stadiums back to back like this.