moorels
Topic Author

Avoid Flying With Hainan Airlines

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I am a Director of two companies live in Melbourne, Australia.

I am manufacture laser equipment for doctors and cosmetic clinics throughout Australia at a factory in Weifang, China and always fly business class to China with other airlines, for many years, which is usually a very pleasant experience.

On May 14, 2017 I booked a flight with Hainan Airlines from Melbourne to Qingdao.

As a nervous flyer, I usually have a few drinks to relax just after takeoff then take two Valium tablets and go to sleep for a few hours. I had NO alcohol prior to this as had just driven two hours from my home to the airport for the morning, business class flight.

I asked the air-hostess for a couple of drinks and consumed one small glass of Vodka and one glass of wine shortly after takeoff as a nervous flyer.

Without any reason I was then refused a drink by the air hostess until lunch time. I asked why and the air hostess just walked off. Remember, I am in supposed to be in business class.

Then at lunch time two hours later, the same thing and the air hostess said I can have a drink at dinner time some 6 hours later! Great thanks!

I had a witness, Ms Linda seated directly on the left side of the plane, who appeared was of Chinese descent and said she was from Adelaide. Ms Linda gave me her mobile number as witnessed the whole event. She said it was very poor of the airline and could not believe my treatment, as I was not at all drunk or even over the legal limit even if driving a vehicle as would be impossible.

Some nine hours after not being served any alcohol at dinner time and after the initial three drinks an hour after take-off as previously stated, the air-hostess still said no alcohol and then another hostess just laughed and said we have run out of alcohol! They did not even offer me a meal!

This indeed seemed to be of some amusement for the cabin crew treating me this way and humiliating to say the least.

I then called for actual the co-pilot of the plane who was a very nice fellow called Mr Flavio Olivari who said I should get a refund as my treatment very poor and to mention his name. He said he could not make them serve me a drink but was very poor from the cabin crew. He can verify this is true as gave me his full name and spelling.

Then on my return business class flight home I brought my own small bottle of wine to drink as obviously even in business class Hainan Airlines does not allow you to drink more than one glass of alcohol.

However my seat would not recline and there was no sound on the movie tablets so you could not watch a movie. The air hostess then said sorry, there was a problem with the electronics on the plane and could not also do anything about my seat reclining either so no movie and no seat reclining.

After no response to several emails and letters, I engaged law firm, 'Collins Biggers & Paisley Lawyers’ in Melbourne to write to Beijing Capital Airlines who own Hainan Airlines and they received a response by the same email address; sdhkfwzljc@hnair.com saying;

"Good afternoon. Via understanding the situation, cabin crews in your flight offered you service strictly according to process. Welcome you choosing our flight again.
Best Regards.
Beijing Capital Airlines"

This was a slap in the face and doesn't even make sense and don't even say a contact name.

The law firm said if I got judgment for a refund in the courts in Melbourne I would then have to go to court in China to recover that debt so would cost a fortune and not sure of my chances over there!

Do yourself a very big favour and NEVER fly with Hainan Airlines!

zrs70

Re: Avoid Flying With Hainan Airlines

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Mixing alcohol and valium is really poor judgment. You admit to being a nervous flyer, and so I would imagine that your frame of mind may have been agitated. The drugs and alcohol may have exacerbated the nerves rather than calmed them. Yes, you have a witness. She was there, I wasn't. She was directly on the left side of the plane. Where were you? What did she hear? What didn't she hear?

If you can't go six-nine hours without a drink, I think something else is wrong.

All this said, the issues regarding the broken seat are fare game to complain about.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

masgniw

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

zrs70 wrote:
Mixing alcohol and valium is really poor judgment.

If you can't go six-nine hours without a drink, I think something else is wrong.

Hitting the nail on the head, here.

What, exactly, are the damages here that drove you seek legal advice?

Also, let the record reflect that I've done a few 12+ hour legs on Hainan and was never cut off from alcohol at any point.

PI4EVER

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:10 pm

I also read your post on your Thai Airways experience. There is a definite pattern here of behavior, but I'm not sure you recognize it.
There are several observations to be had in both your posts. I will try not to pass judgment, but strongly suggest you study your actions and responses a bit more closely.
As pointed out by zrs70 the mix of alcohol and valium or many medications can be toxic and severely affect behavior. While you may feel you are not "drunk" how do you appear? Lethargic? Slurred speech? A less than pleasant demeanor of speech or body language? Every reason for a crew member to rationalize you've had a bit much and would react by restricting further intake of alcohol. There are air rage stories everyday of passengers who over do it in the airport before boarding, and add to it by getting or wanting more once on board.
A few observations:
1. Anyone in this day and time who would physically touch someone, a complete stranger no less, public or not, is asking for a less than pleasant response. That is what a call button or pleasant "Miss" or "Sir" or "May I?" is designed to be used for or as a pleasant interaction with your crew.
There was obviously an issue with your behavior that lead this F/A to have you met by police upon landing. No scam intended.
2. You stated you were "awakened" by Thai police. You slept through a landing and taxi to the gate with PA announcements to be awoken to police arresting you?
That speaks volumes of your physical condition and likely explains your behavior.
3. In your write up above you stated you "consumed one small glass of vodka and one glass of wine" and yet later you commented in the same posting "after the initial three drinks an hour after takeoff." If combined with a valium, there certainly can be no surprise the crew was reluctant to serve you any further alcohol. You may be unsure just how much you drank if you can't count accurately in telling your story.
4. You know you're permitted alcohol only if served by airline crew, and yet you chose to "bring my own small bottle of wine" on the flight home.
I wouldn't say Hainan permits only 1 alcoholic drink when you obviously were served 2 or 3 on your previous flight so what point are you attempting to make with that statement?
5. You may have driven for 2 hours from home legally sober, but you did not consume any alcohol or drug combo in the lounge prior to boarding? A nervous flyer begins to anticipate and react upon arrival at the airport.
6. Fellow passengers in fairness may have not observed your behavior and therefore are uncomfortable stating what transpired. You may hear what you want to, but reality is they were reluctant to support the Thai crewmember for why? A total untruth or your corresponding behavior throughout the flight?
7. What is the intent of your statement the Thai F/A was "overweight and covered in acne." Would that likely dispel any thought your actions of touching her was not flirty or sexy, and that you did it to simply order a drink? The failt here is you did touch her "on her lower back" without any regard to cultural differences where such behavior may be offensive. No excuse for the physical interaction!
You are a nervous flyer who must travel. I strongly suggest you seek counseling to discover new ways to manage your apprehension with less emphasis on alcohol and drugs. It can and does distort your reality and in at least 2 cases you've cited, makes for a very unpleasant and expensive travel experience.
I doubt Thai, the country of Thailand or Hanian will regret the loss of your business.
Best Wishes your future travels will more be a more pleasant experience for you.
watch what you want. you may get it.

lollyj

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:19 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
I also read your post on your Thai Airways experience. There is a definite pattern here of behavior, but I'm not sure you recognize it.
There are several observations to be had in both your posts. I will try not to pass judgment, but strongly suggest you study your actions and responses a bit more closely.
As pointed out by zrs70 the mix of alcohol and valium or many medications can be toxic and severely affect behavior. While you may feel you are not "drunk" how do you appear? Lethargic? Slurred speech? A less than pleasant demeanor of speech or body language? Every reason for a crew member to rationalize you've had a bit much and would react by restricting further intake of alcohol. There are air rage stories everyday of passengers who over do it in the airport before boarding, and add to it by getting or wanting more once on board.
A few observations:
1. Anyone in this day and time who would physically touch someone, a complete stranger no less, public or not, is asking for a less than pleasant response. That is what a call button or pleasant "Miss" or "Sir" or "May I?" is designed to be used for or as a pleasant interaction with your crew.
There was obviously an issue with your behavior that lead this F/A to have you met by police upon landing. No scam intended.
2. You stated you were "awakened" by Thai police. You slept through a landing and taxi to the gate with PA announcements to be awoken to police arresting you?
That speaks volumes of your physical condition and likely explains your behavior.
3. In your write up above you stated you "consumed one small glass of vodka and one glass of wine" and yet later you commented in the same posting "after the initial three drinks an hour after takeoff." If combined with a valium, there certainly can be no surprise the crew was reluctant to serve you any further alcohol. You may be unsure just how much you drank if you can't count accurately in telling your story.
4. You know you're permitted alcohol only if served by airline crew, and yet you chose to "bring my own small bottle of wine" on the flight home.
I wouldn't say Hainan permits only 1 alcoholic drink when you obviously were served 2 or 3 on your previous flight so what point are you attempting to make with that statement?
5. You may have driven for 2 hours from home legally sober, but you did not consume any alcohol or drug combo in the lounge prior to boarding? A nervous flyer begins to anticipate and react upon arrival at the airport.
6. Fellow passengers in fairness may have not observed your behavior and therefore are uncomfortable stating what transpired. You may hear what you want to, but reality is they were reluctant to support the Thai crewmember for why? A total untruth or your corresponding behavior throughout the flight?
7. What is the intent of your statement the Thai F/A was "overweight and covered in acne." Would that likely dispel any thought your actions of touching her was not flirty or sexy, and that you did it to simply order a drink? The failt here is you did touch her "on her lower back" without any regard to cultural differences where such behavior may be offensive. No excuse for the physical interaction!
You are a nervous flyer who must travel. I strongly suggest you seek counseling to discover new ways to manage your apprehension with less emphasis on alcohol and drugs. It can and does distort your reality and in at least 2 cases you've cited, makes for a very unpleasant and expensive travel experience.
I doubt Thai, the country of Thailand or Hanian will regret the loss of your business.
Best Wishes your future travels will more be a more pleasant experience for you.

Totally agree, sometimes you're not the "innocent victim" you think you are. Working on a bar as a teenager, it was the worst experience being yelled at by drunk patrons who had no idea how much of an a**hole they were being because they were intoxicated and also they seemed to forget that you are totally sober and a way better judge of how drunk they are then themselves.

sk736

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Alcohol is never the answer to dealing with nervousness when flying (or probably any other condition one may be afflicted with).

NozPerry

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Alcohol isn’t a right, if you can’t go an extended period without it then that is an issue.
I think there’s more to meet the eye here and the cabin crew could have had a reason to limit your alcohol consumption (because don’t forget it effects your body more in the air as I was told on every initial course :duck: ) And also cabin crew aren’t mechanics. They can’t get out wrenches and spanner’s and start tinkering with the circuit boards just to please you. All they could do is reset your screen and if that’s doesn’t works it’ll be brought up to the engineers.
My final point, you shouldn’t mention crew members full names on the internet, he may have given you that as a courtesy but there is no need to plaster it on here.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

gunsontheroof

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:07 am

I was a bartender for many years (still am, on occasion) and this customer complaint sounds, well, familiar...I strongly suspect the Hainan crew was not out of line here.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Kno

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:57 am

Well if this isn't the most spoiled brat 1st world out of touch priviledged entitlement I've read all day.

Tell me sir, if this is how you handle this situation, what do you do when you're faced with real hardships and challenges in life?

CrimsonNL

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm sure the copilot is very happy to be named on a public forum, in a story like this..
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

johns624

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Kno wrote:
Well if this isn't the most spoiled brat 1st world out of touch priviledged entitlement I've read all day.

Tell me sir, if this is how you handle this situation, what do you do when you're faced with real hardships and challenges in life?

With his grammar, either he's not a native Australian or his entire bio is a lie. It looks like it was written by someone who doesn't have English as his native language or he isn't very intelligent.

IPFreely

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 am

PI4EVER wrote:

After reading both posts I have come to the conclusion that they do not show a pattern of behaviour, actions, and responses. Instead I believe they show a very active imagination.

vhqpa

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 am

What I find interesting is that the copilot who presumably spent most of the flight in the cockpit can verify your story to the point of suggesting a refund.

I have trouble beliving he would even leave the cockpit to deal with an alleged intoxicated passenger during the flight. I wonder if half this story and the thai one even occured.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Bluebird191

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 am

Sounds oddly like an ex partner of mine, who was apparently such a nervous flyer he'd already be dosed up on valium and drunk to the hilt before he would even step onto the aircraft, except with much worse grammar. As a "nervous flyer", maybe you need look at either moving to a city where you don't need to be on an aircraft and flying so much, do a course to get rid of your fear of flying or something similar.

Sounds like an appropriate course of action from the crew on the flight - they should not have to deal with passengers who are drunk and disorderly during a flight, particularly if they feel the need to mix drugs and alcohol, even if it's for a fear that is easily overcome and avoided. Totally behind the airline here.

FlyRow

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 am

Can we close the topic? The topic opener doesn't respond and everyone agree's it sounds like the flight crew did a good job.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

buzzard302

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 am

Getting a lawyer involved because the flight crew would not serve more alcohol? I like to have drinks myself, but it sounds like this guy got a little too serious about his alcohol.

Coal

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:49 am

PI4EVER wrote:
A few observations:

These are the posts that make we wish there was a Like button feature on A.net. Absolutely spot on!
Nxt Flts: NZ SIN-AKL-CHC-AKL-SIN | SQ SIN-KUL-SIN

LH658

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 am

moorels wrote:
I am a Director of two companies live in Melbourne, Australia.

I am manufacture laser equipment for doctors and cosmetic clinics throughout Australia at a factory in Weifang, China and always fly business class to China with other airlines, for many years, which is usually a very pleasant experience.

On May 14, 2017 I booked a flight with Hainan Airlines from Melbourne to Qingdao.

As a nervous flyer, I usually have a few drinks to relax just after takeoff then take two Valium tablets and go to sleep for a few hours. I had NO alcohol prior to this as had just driven two hours from my home to the airport for the morning, business class flight.

I asked the air-hostess for a couple of drinks and consumed one small glass of Vodka and one glass of wine shortly after takeoff as a nervous flyer.

Without any reason I was then refused a drink by the air hostess until lunch time. I asked why and the air hostess just walked off. Remember, I am in supposed to be in business class.

Then at lunch time two hours later, the same thing and the air hostess said I can have a drink at dinner time some 6 hours later! Great thanks!

I had a witness, Ms Linda seated directly on the left side of the plane, who appeared was of Chinese descent and said she was from Adelaide. Ms Linda gave me her mobile number as witnessed the whole event. She said it was very poor of the airline and could not believe my treatment, as I was not at all drunk or even over the legal limit even if driving a vehicle as would be impossible.

Some nine hours after not being served any alcohol at dinner time and after the initial three drinks an hour after take-off as previously stated, the air-hostess still said no alcohol and then another hostess just laughed and said we have run out of alcohol! They did not even offer me a meal!

This indeed seemed to be of some amusement for the cabin crew treating me this way and humiliating to say the least.

I then called for actual the co-pilot of the plane who was a very nice fellow called Mr Flavio Olivari who said I should get a refund as my treatment very poor and to mention his name. He said he could not make them serve me a drink but was very poor from the cabin crew. He can verify this is true as gave me his full name and spelling.

Then on my return business class flight home I brought my own small bottle of wine to drink as obviously even in business class Hainan Airlines does not allow you to drink more than one glass of alcohol.

However my seat would not recline and there was no sound on the movie tablets so you could not watch a movie. The air hostess then said sorry, there was a problem with the electronics on the plane and could not also do anything about my seat reclining either so no movie and no seat reclining.

After no response to several emails and letters, I engaged law firm, 'Collins Biggers & Paisley Lawyers’ in Melbourne to write to Beijing Capital Airlines who own Hainan Airlines and they received a response by the same email address; sdhkfwzljc@hnair.com saying;

"Good afternoon. Via understanding the situation, cabin crews in your flight offered you service strictly according to process. Welcome you choosing our flight again.
Best Regards.
Beijing Capital Airlines"

This was a slap in the face and doesn't even make sense and don't even say a contact name.

The law firm said if I got judgment for a refund in the courts in Melbourne I would then have to go to court in China to recover that debt so would cost a fortune and not sure of my chances over there!

Do yourself a very big favour and NEVER fly with Hainan Airlines!

Try, Buttar Caldwell & Co. Solicitors, s43/301 Castlereagh St, Haymarket NSW 2000, Australia,+61 2 9211 9255. Ask for Pervaiz or Wajiha, excellent people, I use them in Australia, very handy and accessible.

Cush

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 am

I don't think the problem is Hainan Airlines. I think the problem is you, the OP. It sure sounds like you should seek help for your alcoholism. The entire story screamed of degenerate alcoholic thoughts and actions.

I applaud Hainan Airlines and their crew from not serving you. It seems you were in no state to be consuming alcohol for the safety of the passengers, crew, and yourself.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.