dangerhere
Topic Author

KLM seating issue

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a lurker on these forums so actually feel a bit guilty making a new post for this but wondering if you might have any insight here. Flying on holidays in a few weeks via a stopover in AMS, both flights are KLM. We booked in January or so and reserved seating, first 737 and second flight Embraer to France. Now in early March got and email that KLM swapped the Embraer for 737 and that of course means our seating was changed. Now they gave us a ridiculous new assignment, ie my wife 3 rows back or similar. I called the next day and the girl in the call centre who was quite nice managed everything and rebooked our seats together. Email confirmation in basic text form with new seats confirmed plus the usual flight info, references ect.

Fastforward to a few weeks before we travel, I checked our details via KLM website last night to discover that not only were the rebooked seats not showing, I had a difference seat completely and my wife's seat simply blank next to her name (payment being processed). Got in touch with support via facebook this time and send attachments with the March seat change confirmation, screenshots of the portal as requested and going round in circles now. The best one yet was a canned response that seat assignment can change due to aircraft changes, which I wouln't mind except I have proof we changed our seats after the aircraft change and not before. Nobody has directly addressed the new confirmation email and in fact the agents offered several contradictory accounts of which seats we had been assigned. I actually settled to sit opposite my wife in the aisle (not a bad choice personally) after they announced which seats were free, only to be told two hours later that these seats were now taken. At this point, I give up trying to get just a little bit of common decency and customer service for what ultimately is their balls up thru and thru, possibly the agent I dealt with in March not updating their system, or something simply falling down the back of the proverbial sofa. Either way, we have this email with confirmed seats dated March 9th. I also want to state, I'm not the sort of guy wanting to create hassle for these support guys outsourced in some bunker somewhere, it's more that we did everything right and I'm adult enough to know when KLM is at fault here. I mentioned at the least I expect us to be refunded the seat price since the whole point of reserving a seat is to eh reserve it!

I suppose my question is: if we rock up in the origin airport or KLM desk in AMS if needs be (though we'd rather enjoy the layover) with this confirmation email with our ghost seats what's likely to happen? It's pretty hard to disprove an email send confirming seats, I mean it's a fairly solid proof, at least from a layman's perspective. I'm not really expecting to sit in business class for free over this but just a bit of fair play here from KLM would be appreciated. I was looking forward to flying with them, and still am to a good extent but this experience has definitely giving me a different impression before we've travelled.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Darragh

superjeff

Re: KLM seating issue

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:23 am

Call reservations and if they can't help you ask the agent to escalate to a manager. if you paid for two seats together, you should have two seats together. (BTW, the Ejets are 2x2 which is nice).

eamondzhang

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 am

Since KLM's pretty good on social media you can also use a bit of social media outrage to deal with the issue... :bouncy:

Michael

Prost

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:45 am

My suggestion wouldn’t be to have step A be ‘outrage.’

FatCat

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:24 am

I had this "inconvenient" on a FR flight some two years ago.
I was in the back and my wife in the front.
Best trip of my life.
Slept all the way over.
No blabbering.
No complains.
:rotfl:
May my post not hurt your feelings

Flanker7

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:49 am

Have you tried to change the seat yourself online?
Flying blue only if possible

cv990Coronado

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:06 am

FatCat wrote:
I had this "inconvenient" on a FR flight some two years ago.
I was in the back and my wife in the front.
Best trip of my life.
Slept all the way over.
No blabbering.
No complains.
:rotfl:

Come on now be honest, how much did you pay to be so lucky! :D
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L

Jomar777

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:23 am

I usually fly KLM to Brazil every time (about twice a year to GRU - in the past it was also GIG).

I've got this a couple of times - you confirm your seat, then it shows payment processing.

I spoke to their customer services and got the usual message - "it will show eventually - the system is updating... blah blah blah..."

Time to check-in - seat was there for me and I had no issues.

I suggest you check-in online (early) and see if it is all OK. If not, ring customer services there and then and I am sure they arrange it for you.

Or, at the time of bag drop, just present copy of the docs you already have and explain - I am sure they will accommodate you and your wife. KLM is quite good at this and so is Air France.

Do not worry and have a great time!

TOGA10

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:05 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Since KLM's pretty good on social media you can also use a bit of social media outrage to deal with the issue... :bouncy:

Michael

Hope this was meant ironic? I hate it when people abuse social media to get stuff like this fixed. Just seems like a massive cry for attention by people who don't know how to use a phone.
On topic, just take it up with customer service and keep pushing, I'm sure in the end it will work out.
(And like said above, if not, just enjoy your moment of peace by yourself, get yourself a Heineken and get some sleep ;-).)
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine. - Plato

eamondzhang

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

Hope this was meant ironic? I hate it when people abuse social media to get stuff like this fixed. Just seems like a massive cry for attention by people who don't know how to use a phone.
On topic, just take it up with customer service and keep pushing, I'm sure in the end it will work out.
(And like said above, if not, just enjoy your moment of peace by yourself, get yourself a Heineken and get some sleep ;-).)

Nah man I know, just sayin' but I mean it could obviously be the last resort should the telephone agents are in such a ridiculous state that even the manager couldn't help.

Michael

Carlos01

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Oh boy, I've had my experiences with KLM, and to be honest it seems unfortunately that their customer service people, their operational staff, their IT-systems, and whatnot are... well... let's say they could use some improvement. My family (and me) tried to fly with our 2 dogs in the cabin about 6 months ago. Countless phone calls with their service center, confusion, questions, lost communication, misinformation, etc. Until then finally the day came, we were waiting for boarding at the gate, all sorted out. Until we were told that we cannot board, because just 1 dog allowed. Either one dog stays behind or we all stay behind. Massive show with luggage, searching for a new flight, sweat, tears, and finally Finnair came to the resque who actually have their stuff together. Ok, KLM also apologized and compensated actually more than we asked for, so I guess all good.

But relating to that, the seating arrangements did not work at all, pure chaos. So the part of my family who flew KLM, just had to ask other passengers to change seats in the plane. Worked out fine.

That's what I would recommend to the OP as well, it's not going to get any better by asking their whatever-centers. They just don't have a clue what's happening.

Otherwise I really love KLM, their planes and service on board is excellent. Too bad that the ground staff cannot match that.

dangerhere
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

Yeah tried repeatly. The seats online don't correspond to what support said in the slightest. The issue was actually that online, my wife's seat is stuck in E (no option to reassign her, just me) and we are wanting her to move to D, which is available today (despite being told by KLM support that it's not available). MyTrip allows me to me to move freely but my wife is eternally stuck in this middle seat. She called KLM and and they moved me to the opposite middle seat, so we would be sitting in B and E :banghead:

In the end, I moved myself once more online and we are now next to each other opposite the aisle in C and D, according to MyTrip at least. 35 hours of dealing with canned responses on facebook chat which ultimately I resolved myself in MyTrip. A real shame for a once legendary brand. I guess Air France must really be getting to them these days...

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 pm

A few years back was flying them with the other half, and we had reserved a window and aisle, same row. Got to luggage check in, and the agent printed boarding passes that had moved me to the middle ( B) seat. I stepped back and asked where my aisle seat had gone and she said she thought we'd like to be seated together. That wasn't the point, so I asked her to switch me back, which she did. I thought that was a bit presumptuous of her.

Flanker7

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am

dangerhere wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Yeah tried repeatly. The seats online don't correspond to what support said in the slightest. The issue was actually that online, my wife's seat is stuck in E (no option to reassign her, just me) and we are wanting her to move to D, which is available today (despite being told by KLM support that it's not available). MyTrip allows me to me to move freely but my wife is eternally stuck in this middle seat. She called KLM and and they moved me to the opposite middle seat, so we would be sitting in B and E :banghead:

In the end, I moved myself once more online and we are now next to each other opposite the aisle in C and D, according to MyTrip at least. 35 hours of dealing with canned responses on facebook chat which ultimately I resolved myself in MyTrip. A real shame for a once legendary brand. I guess Air France must really be getting to them these days...

Its sucks and can happen. When you're online check-in open you can move yourself to other seats. I'm sure it will sort itself out and you have a good Holliday
Flying blue only if possible

Vasu

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
A few years back was flying them with the other half, and we had reserved a window and aisle, same row. Got to luggage check in, and the agent printed boarding passes that had moved me to the middle ( B) seat. I stepped back and asked where my aisle seat had gone and she said she thought we'd like to be seated together. That wasn't the point, so I asked her to switch me back, which she did. I thought that was a bit presumptuous of her.

Was probably done as some people do the “window and aisle thing” for selfish reasons trying to block out the third seat in the row for free.