Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yonikasz
Topic Author

How does the United Express bus service work between ABE and EWR work?

Sat May 26, 2018 10:42 pm

I saw on Google Flights and it looks just like a regular flight. I saw some stuff on FlyerTalk but I want to learn more. Does anyone have any pictures?

EWRamp

Re: How does the United Express bus service work between ABE and EWR work?

Sun May 27, 2018 12:16 am

You go to the airport and check in like any other flight. Then go thru TSA screening like all other passengers. Then you board a bus to ABE and get to enjoy scenic I-78 :D

Sun May 27, 2018 12:22 am

Might as well go to the Port Authority... I'm assuming the bus only takes connecting traffic.. if it leaves from Airside that is very interesting to me though...

ctrabs0114

Sun May 27, 2018 6:42 am

The only other such UA Express bus operation is between Galveston (BPT) and IAH. The ABE-EWR shuttle bus was previously a CO flight before it was converted to bus service due to ATC delays at EWR.

alggag

Sun May 27, 2018 7:35 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
The only other such UA Express bus operation is between Galveston (BPT) and IAH. The ABE-EWR shuttle bus was previously a CO flight before it was converted to bus service due to ATC delays at EWR.

BPT is Beaumont, not Galveston.

I take I-10 to and from work and I would occasionally see it driving down the road between BPT and IAH. Is it still running? It feels like it's been a while since I've seen it.

PatrickZ80

Sun May 27, 2018 7:53 am

It's not that uncommon, United isn't the only airline doing a "flight" by bus. We have a similar example here in the Netherlands where KLM serves Eindhoven and Maastricht by bus. This bus also has a flight number. For example if you search for flights between Eindhoven and New York, KLM pops up as an option with a transfer in Amsterdam. You go Eindhoven - Amsterdam by bus and Amsterdam - New York by plane, all on one ticket. Since it's operated by KLM it connects to all KLM and partner flights such as Air France, Delta and Jet Airways.

ericm2031

Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 am

alggag wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

I take I-10 to and from work and I would occasionally see it driving down the road between BPT and IAH. Is it still running? It feels like it's been a while since I've seen it.

I think BPT ended sometime last year. It seemed to disappear rather quietly.

FromCDGtoSYD

Sun May 27, 2018 8:21 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
It's not that uncommon, United isn't the only airline doing a "flight" by bus. We have a similar example here in the Netherlands where KLM serves Eindhoven and Maastricht by bus. This bus also has a flight number. For example if you search for flights between Eindhoven and New York, KLM pops up as an option with a transfer in Amsterdam. You go Eindhoven - Amsterdam by bus and Amsterdam - New York by plane, all on one ticket. Since it's operated by KLM it connects to all KLM and partner flights such as Air France, Delta and Jet Airways.

I don't suppose you earn FFPs on these bus rides do you ?

aeropix

Sun May 27, 2018 8:55 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

I think that's the whole idea for these services is to capture the Frequent Flyers who might otherwise book on another carrier. So yes, these segments count for miles on most if not all programs.

PatrickZ80

Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Not on the bus rides themselves, but since a bus ride cannot be booked seperately you do earn them on the flight that's sold with it.

EWRamp

Sun May 27, 2018 3:12 pm

foxecho wrote:
Might as well go to the Port Authority... I'm assuming the bus only takes connecting traffic.. if it leaves from Airside that is very interesting to me though...

Yes the bus departs and arrives airside

zakuivcustom

Sun May 27, 2018 3:41 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
alggag wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

I think BPT ended sometime last year. It seemed to disappear rather quietly.

I just tried to do a dummy booking on UA's website to BPT. Nothing shows up :cry2:

It was converted to bus service with the withdrawal of Colgan's Saab 340 anyway. The distance involved (80mi) also make it somewhat not feasible to run RJs, especially with BPT nowhere the size of, let say, SMF (to SFO) or MKE (to ORD).

hippogryphe

Sun May 27, 2018 4:11 pm

EWRamp wrote:
foxecho wrote:

How? And for that matter, why?

jetmatt777

Sun May 27, 2018 5:23 pm

hippogryphe wrote:
EWRamp wrote:
foxecho wrote:

So connections can go straight to their flights without having to go through security.

hippogryphe

Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
hippogryphe wrote:
EWRamp wrote:

So connections can go straight to their flights without having to go through security.

How does the TSA know the driver didn't stop so everybody could get a smoke and a wizz at a service plaza?

USAirKid

Sun May 27, 2018 8:40 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Not on the bus rides themselves, but since a bus ride cannot be booked seperately you do earn them on the flight that's sold with it.

I picked a few random dates in June and I was able to get into the booking process with only a bus leg. It was $400+ round trip.

Deltabravo1123

Sun May 27, 2018 8:54 pm

How does the TSA know the driver didn't stop so everybody could get a smoke and a wizz at a service plaza?

Have no idea for sure, but I imagine they would have a tracker on the vehicle. I’m sure that the bus driver would also have periodic contact with someone at an operation center, just like a plane does with ATC. The airline can probably calculate the exact time the vehicle should arrive at EWR/ABE with current traffic patterns and weather conditions, so they would know if something, like the scenario you mentioned, had happened.

alggag

Sun May 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Although I've never taken the bus from what I've read at EWR it picks up passengers air side the drops them land side at ABE. Going the other way, from ABE loading is done land side then passengers are dropped land side when they get to EWR and go through security there.

e38

Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 am

Quoting Deltabravo1123 (Reply #17), "I imagine they would have a tracker on the vehicle. I’m sure that the bus driver would also have period contact with someone . . .The airline can probably calculate the exact time the vehicle should arrive at EWR/ABE with current traffic patterns and weather conditions, so they would know if something, like the scenario you mentioned, had happened.:

Deltabravo1123, where in the world did you come up with this? Did you just make it up? But, it makes great science fiction!

In my wildest imagination, I would not possibly believe the TSA would approve something like this.

I have not used this service either, but my guess, like alggag mentioned above, is that the bus arrives landside at EWR and all passengers are required to pass through TSA Security.

e38

ctrabs0114

Mon May 28, 2018 3:42 am

e38 wrote:
Quoting Deltabravo1123 (Reply #17), "I imagine they would have a tracker on the vehicle. I’m sure that the bus driver would also have period contact with someone . . .The airline can probably calculate the exact time the vehicle should arrive at EWR/ABE with current traffic patterns and weather conditions, so they would know if something, like the scenario you mentioned, had happened.:

Deltabravo1123, where in the world did you come up with this? Did you just make it up? But, it makes great science fiction!

In my wildest imagination, I would not possibly believe the TSA would approve something like this.

I have not used this service either, but my guess, like alggag mentioned above, is that the bus arrives landside at EWR and all passengers are required to pass through TSA Security.

e38

A lot of transit agencies and over-the-road coach operators who operate scheduled passenger service also use GPS tracking. So it's not exactly far fetched science fiction; it's mass transport in the 21st century. GPS tracking on buses has NOTHING to do with TSA regulations.

USAirKid

Mon May 28, 2018 5:20 am

Deltabravo1123 wrote:

Have no idea for sure, but I imagine they would have a tracker on the vehicle. I’m sure that the bus driver would also have periodic contact with someone at an operation center, just like a plane does with ATC. The airline can probably calculate the exact time the vehicle should arrive at EWR/ABE with current traffic patterns and weather conditions, so they would know if something, like the scenario you mentioned, had happened.

From what I've read, I think this arrives landside.

However, if you'd want to do something like this you could have TSA seals of some variety on the doors. Especially if these are semi-dedicated vans, you could have a spot where you put the little plastic tags through an eyehole that would be broken when the door opens. This is what is often done in the freight industry to identify tampering.

The GPS solution is... interesting. If traffic is slow enough the van might stop normally (or even just stop at a red light for a while) and that would be an opportunity open the door and trade passengers or whatnot.