Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual763
Topic Author

United to Start Offering Some Business Travelers Access to Private Terminal At LAX

Wed May 23, 2018 4:11 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... suite.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/united- ... minal.html

Now this is a good idea! Apparently, they’re going to build their own mini-lounge inside of the private terminal. I’m quite surprised by some of the routes that include access to this too, such as: Aspen (even though it’s not listed here, it’s listed on CNBC), and even EWR surprises me. Best part is, it’s included in the business class airfare!

But this begs the question, if this is offered in Polaris for all of the listed intl. routes, what’s the point of building a Polaris lounge at LAX? Or will this be the Polaris lounge inside the Private terminal?

acentauri

Re: United to Start Offering Some Business Travelers Access to Private Terminal At LAX

Wed May 23, 2018 4:24 am

Liz Taylor and Richard Burton will turn over in their graves :old: :old: :old:

millionsofmiles

Re: United to Start Offering Some Business Travelers Access to Private Terminal At LAX

Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 am

With all those additional passengers, the "Private Suite" is gonna be not-so-private.

gsg013

Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 am

we will see how this works out my guess is it will be a real watered down version of the private suite experience...

The other option is that this will be really rarely available maybe only top of the top A-Listers.

NYPECO

Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 am

Who normally uses the private terminal at LAX?

joemac547

Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 am

I believe the articles referenced are incorrect. It is not included in the cost of the Business Class ticket. As I have read elsewhere, you must be flying to certain destinations, with a certain fare class to be eligible for a discounted one time access to the Private Terminal. The pricing (on top of the ticket price) is (from their web site):

“Those booking through United won’t have to pay the $7,500 membership fee, and will receive the following pricing:

$1,250 per person for a domestic flight
$1,495 per person for an international flight”

blueflyer

Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 pm

ual763 wrote:
Apparently, they’re going to build their own mini-lounge inside of the private terminal.

United will be using one of the largest suites in the Private Suite terminal, not building their own.

ual763 wrote:
But this begs the question, if this is offered in Polaris for all of the listed intl. routes, what’s the point of building a Polaris lounge at LAX?

Passengers to/from EWR, LHR, MEL, SYD, HNL, SIN, and ASE can buy a one-time discounted access to the Private Suite if they're flying on the right fare and have booked through select channels. Eventually, booking the Private Suite will be possible through all channels.

NYPECO wrote:
Who normally uses the private terminal at LAX?

Anybody willing to pay at least $3,500 per use (or a slightly discounted price in exchange for a $4,500 annual membership) and select customers of the Beverly Hills Waldorf Astoria.

jayunited

Wed May 23, 2018 1:24 pm

joemac547 wrote:
I believe the articles referenced are incorrect. It is not included in the cost of the Business Class ticket. As I have read elsewhere, you must be flying to certain destinations, with a certain fare class to be eligible for a discounted one time access to the Private Terminal. The pricing (on top of the ticket price) is (from their web site):

“Those booking through United won’t have to pay the $7,500 membership fee, and will receive the following pricing:

$1,250 per person for a domestic flight
$1,495 per person for an international flight”

The articles are poorly written and they left out pertinent details which are included in Flying Together. UA has negotiated with the owners of Private Suite, there will be a United branded lounges at the new terminal, access to this exclusive terminal will be included in the price of the business fare however not all passengers who are booked in business class will have access to the Private Suite Terminal only passengers who have purchased the most expensive top tier business class tickets will have access. Initially this service will be available for purchase through UA's corporate travel desk for our corporate clients, also select travel agents will have the authority to sell these tickets. Later on regular passengers will be able to purchase this experience through UA.com or on the app but the conditions will remain the same. Passengers will have to purchase one of the top tier business class tickets, regular business fares, discounted business class fares, and/or upgrades into business class will not be allowed to use the Private Terminal Suites passengers who book these lower fare business class tickets will will be able to use the Polaris Lounge once it opens.

I'm assuming UA is launching this service to attract more premium clients living in Los Angeles perhaps UA wants a bigger piece of Hollywood's business (this is probably why EWR is included), there are a lot of Hollywood executives and Hollywood stars flying back and forth between LA and New York. Its no secret that UA has lost a lot of ground in the LA market since the merger but it looks like UA is gearing up to fight to get back into the game and attract more ultra premium customers that call LA home.

FSDan

Wed May 23, 2018 2:05 pm

ual763 wrote:
I’m quite surprised by some of the routes that include access to this too, such as: Aspen (even though it’s not listed here, it’s listed on CNBC), and even EWR surprises me.

Those two don't surprise me at all - seems very targeted at entertainment industry big wigs. EWR is UA's only offering in the LA-NYC market, and Aspen is well known as a playground for the rich and famous.

LAXintl

Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pm

What a disappointment this will be for clients. Enjoy caviar blini's and luxury trappings at the Private Suite and then plop onboard an UA aircraft without any sign of new Polaris seat product serving LAX, or even worse onto a CRJ700 to ASE.

Actually, this was already available today. UA is one of the several dozen airlines Private Suite already services ramp side.

Anyhow, I also find the play for high net worth LA pax a bit too little, too late. UA lost bulk of its media and entertainment contracts years ago, with p.s. move to EWR being the last nail in that coffin. Will not be easy to win this business back from other airlines, especially when Private Suite already works with competitors AA and DL already.