Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MalevA346
Topic Author

Air Italy's shame, it's "luggage policy" in Cairo

Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

My luggage was recently delayed on a MXP-CAI Air Italy (ex Meridiana) flight. After a while I got the information that Air Italy does not deliver luggages in Cairo. This meant that I had to go back to the Airport 3 days later to take my luggage after passing a crazy procedure of about 5 hours. I even got an entrance pass to the apron with my photo on it (guess this is what all personel have - I was not allowed to keep it...) to be able to access my luggage in the casemates of the airport.

I had to delay my programs onwards Cairo for 4 days, had to gather all my knowledge to be able get my luggage back.

I had around 1750Eur extra cost, now trying to get it reimboursed from the "airline", who does even respond... Any hints welcomed!!!

I never had experience with Air Italy or Meridiana before, but this something I would never ever imagined from an EU carrier.

Tell me guys, I am the only one?

Adam

Airlines0613

Re: Air Italy's shame, it's "luggage policy" in Cairo

Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Hmm... sounds more like a personal problem. You failed to read the terms with Air Italy, which happens to be that they don’t deliver in Cairo. It’s not necessary to notify as I’m pretty sure it’s available to the public in their website.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the airline refuses to reimburse your money. They’re going to state that you should’ve been aware and they cannot be held accountable for your negligence.

Also, I’m not trying to be rude. Just stating the obvious and what most likely the outcome will be.

berari

Thu May 17, 2018 10:35 pm

MalevA346 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My luggage was recently delayed on a MXP-CAI Air Italy (ex Meridiana) flight. After a while I got the information that Air Italy does not deliver luggages in Cairo. This meant that I had to go back to the Airport 3 days later to take my luggage after passing a crazy procedure of about 5 hours. I even got an entrance pass to the apron with my photo on it (guess this is what all personel have - I was not allowed to keep it...) to be able to access my luggage in the casemates of the airport.

I had to delay my programs onwards Cairo for 4 days, had to gather all my knowledge to be able get my luggage back.

I had around 1750Eur extra cost, now trying to get it reimboursed from the "airline", who does even respond... Any hints welcomed!!!

I never had experience with Air Italy or Meridiana before, but this something I would never ever imagined from an EU carrier.

Adam

Welcome to Africa, where the conveniences of the West don't exist. You go to the airport on a daily basis to check on whether or not your baggage arrived, if you have someone that will answer such questions for you.

Regarding reimbursement, I am sure you had travel insurance that can cover it for you, because that's where I'd direct my costs to.

usflyer msp

Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 pm

FWIW, this is actually normal for many carriers in developing countries. I have personally experienced it in Madagascar and Mozambique. The officials will not allow baggage through customs without its owner being present.

MalevA346
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
Hmm... sounds more like a personal problem. You failed to read the terms with Air Italy, which happens to be that they don’t deliver in Cairo. It’s not necessary to notify as I’m pretty sure it’s available to the public in their website.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the airline refuses to reimburse your money. They’re going to state that you should’ve been aware and they cannot be held accountable for your negligence.

Also, I’m not trying to be rude. Just stating the obvious and what most likely the outcome will be.

No problem, this not rude. Though I am a bit suprised that You say that the airline can feel free to deliver my luggages to the airport in whatever time frame they want without any penalty. 'Cos that is what You say, don't You? There must be strict law against it, especially for EU airlines.

In fact the airline already asks for all documents/invoices on there own website to reimburse the cost related to the delayed luggage. The other hand, this on line system does not work for me as I did not get the 10 letter code in Cairo airport related to my lost luggage. Call center (whom I could contact) refuses to deal with as they say I should go to website.

I hired an Italian lawyer, sent some official letter today to the airline.

I think/hope You are totally wrong :)
Last edited by MalevA346 on Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalevA346
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 pm

berari wrote:
MalevA346 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Adam

Welcome to Africa, where the conveniences of the West don't exist. You go to the airport on a daily basis to check on whether or not your baggage arrived, if you have someone that will answer such questions for you.

Regarding reimbursement, I am sure you had travel insurance that can cover it for you, because that's where I'd direct my costs to.

I know Africa (been to around 15 countries), but this about an EU airline acting childish. All other airlines deliver luggage in Cairo, except Air Italy..

AIRT0M

Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am

MalevA346 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I had around 1750Eur extra cost, now trying to get it reimboursed from the "airline", who does even respond...

Adam

In the EU airlines only cover baggage related expenses of up to around 1300 € (actually it's a figure which is changing everyday, depending on the Dollar value). When you buy a ticket, you agree to the terms and conditions. Airlines will only cover up to that amount and not a penny more. A lawyer won't be able to help here.

Airlines0613

Fri May 18, 2018 4:08 am

MalevA346 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

No problem, this not rude. Though I am a bit suprised that You say that the airline can feel free to deliver my luggages to the airport in whatever time frame they want without any penalty. 'Cos that is what You say, don't You? There must be strict law against it, especially for EU airlines.

In fact the airline already asks for all documents/invoices on there own website to reimburse the cost related to the delayed luggage. The other hand, this on line system does not work for me as I did not get the 10 letter code in Cairo airport related to my lost luggage. Call center (whom I could contact) refuses to deal with as they say I should go to website.

I hired an Italian lawyer, sent some official letter today to the airline.

I think/hope You are totally wrong :)

I hope so too, I wish you the best of luck.

directorguy

Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

What do you mean by deliver luggage?
Do you mean that if the bag is late then they will courier it to your home/hotel?
I believe this is not an Air Italy policy but Egyptian customs, who require that passengers personally collect their baggage and undergo a customs inspection, and declare any goods that may be taxed by Egyptian authorities.

Hope it didn't ruin your time too much and that you were able to enjoy your trip in the end.

Slash787

Sat May 19, 2018 11:01 pm

I am sorry this happened to you, I can imagine how annoying and difficult it would be for you, I don't know about different airlines policies, but if its the airlines fault then they should deliver it to you.

Can you tell a little bit in detail about what happened? you waited for your luggage and it did not come? din't you go to the information or help counter that time? I have been to Egypt and I know how awful things can be there.

MalevA346
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Slash787 wrote:
I am sorry this happened to you, I can imagine how annoying and difficult it would be for you, I don't know about different airlines policies, but if its the airlines fault then they should deliver it to you.

Can you tell a little bit in detail about what happened? you waited for your luggage and it did not come? din't you go to the information or help counter that time? I have been to Egypt and I know how awful things can be there.

Hi Slash,

Well, we arrived, no luggage, so we filled the form, looked for a hotel in Cairo, stayed there for 4 days till the luggage arrived, then continued the journey.

I found some companies on te net dealing with airlines cases, I hope they'll take mine, though it is not flight, but luggage delay. I wrote to them, I wait for the answer now. Meanwhile already sent a letter to the airline by my lawyer, but no response (and no surprise)...

I keep You updated :)

Bye...