Yflyer
Topic Author

Quick question about UA meal service in Y

Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 pm

In a few months I'll be flying SFO-HNL in Economy on United. Given the departure time and length of the flight, I'll more than likely want something to eat during the flight. I know it's all buy on board, and I had a look at their Choice Menu and a few of the options look reasonably appealing to me so I'm leaning towards just buying something on the plane. However, I'll be seated towards the back of the 777 (I snagged a seat in the section where it narrows to 2-4-2), so I'm worried they'll be sold out of what I want by the time they get to me. Do they typically do meal service from front to back, or back to front?

aklrno

Re: Quick question about UA meal service in Y

Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 pm

There are lots of places to buy take-out food in the UA terminal at SFO. Go to the main rotunda and look around. I'd rather buy food I know I will like (at probably less cost) and just let UA provide the beverages. The flight is not so long that I would worry about food spoiling before it is eaten. Considering when the flight catering process starts you may be getting a fresher meal if you buy at the airport.

Yflyer
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 pm

That was basically plan B. I've got approximately a one hour connection at SFO, so that ought to be enough time to grab some fast food on the way to the gate if everything's on time.

Chemist

Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 am

I would not gamble on any UA BOB meals given their sterling reputation for quality and service. I'd buy something in the terminal before the flight and bring that on board.

AirAfreak

Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 am

The <<buy-on-board>> product is risky in terms of availability, while airport dining can be time-consuming. I recommend grabbing a few sweet and savory items from your local grocery store prior to your trip.

For example, Trader Joe’s, sells a “Sweet, Savory, & Tart” trail mix priced at $5.99/bag. It is my favorite item to take onboard because it has a nice mix of peanuts, dried cranberries, golden raisins, caramel pieces, white & milk chocolate chips, etc.; it’s a delicious and hearty snack!
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

dc10co

Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 am

Hello there! Our BOB options are generally very good, I enjoy the cheeseburger and the new BBQ sandwich is also very tasty. Quality and freshness are certainly no issue and the food is very good, but my only concern would be availability seated at the back of the aircraft. It’s sort of a crapshoot that far back depending on how hungry the folks are towards the front. Your best gamble would be to try to snag the FA as they make their way up the aisle or even possibly by casually approaching them in the galley before they start the service & asking if you could buy your choice in advance. You’ll have no issues with the prepackaged snacks, it’s just the fresh options that tend to run out
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.