TSA125
Topic Author
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am

Hello,

I've noticed several airlines operate or have operated aircraft with registrations that ironically contain IATA/ICAO airport codes in them. A few noteworthy example are G-YMML, EI-JFK, EI-LAX, and AP-BHX

I don't see any other explanation than that airlines do this intentionally sometimes. But is there any reason to do so? Is it just a coincidence? Feel free to include any other examples you've noted!



(EI-JFK at JFK)

(AP-BHX at BHX)
No not that TSA.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2233
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 am

EI defiantly did this intentionally, G-YMML is a coincidence. G-YMMx is one of the series of registrations BA used for its 777s. “YMM” apparently refers to the year 2000, which was when the first aircraft in the series was delivered. BA usually selects the series of registrations carefully. The other 777s are G-ZZZx, Z looks a bit like 7. The A380s are G-XLEx (Xtra Large European Aircraft) and the A320s are G-EUxx, representing the EU destinations the A320 fleet mainly serves.

As for EI, the initial batch of A330s were EI-DUB, EI-CRK, EI-SHN, -JFK, -EWR and -ORD. CRK and SHN refer to Cork and Shannon, but are not the correct codes. All the aircraft have now left the fleet, but -EWR retained its original registration when it returned to the fleet.
 
tallis
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 am

All of the BA CityFlyer fleet is registered G-LCY* in reference to the London City base.
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 7:48 am

BA's Gatwick A320 fleet are G-GAT*.
 
Tristarsteve
Posts: 3507
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 am

British Airways operated a fleet of B737-300 for a few years from 1998 while awaiting A319 deliveries. They were registered after BA destinations
G-OAMS, ODUS, OFRA, OHAJ, OMUC XBHX and XMAN.
 
DouglasDC10
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2000 3:27 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am

Augsburg Airways' fleet had German airport codes in many of their Dash 8-100/200/300's registrations (D-BMUC, D-BHAM, D-BFRA, D-BDUS, D-BTHF, D-BLEJ; D-BDTM, D-BHOQ, D-BPAD, D-BAGB).

Bulgaria Air's E-190 fleet also shows the first three letters of Bulgarian cities which in case of Sofia and Varna are identical with the airport code (LZ-SOF, LZ-VAR).
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am

Part of the Nauru Airlines fleet and reference to Pacific destinations: VH-INU, VH-NLK (both retired), VH-VLI, VH-PNI.
 
george77300
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am

BA are great at the meaningful registrations. Another example is the new A320neo are G-TTNx (Three Twenty Neo).
A306 A313 A319 A320 A20N A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A388

B712 B733 B734 B735 B738 B742 B744 B752 B763 B772 B77E B773 B77W B788

AT75 AT76 B190 C208 DH3T E175 P46T SF34 SR20 SR22 TBM8
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Then there is F-ORLY. Not an airport code but spells out the airport name in full.
 
User avatar
TedToToe
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Showing my age now but, does anybody remember Jersey European's Shorts 360s G-OBHD, G-OBLK and G-OBOH? Belfast Harbour, Blackpool and Bournemouth respectively! There must have been others!
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Air Austral had 777s F-ORUN, F-OSYD, F-ONOU etc. and has ATR F-OMRU
Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,B190,(..54 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
a300
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 9:24 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Karun Airlines (formerly Iran Naft and NIOC)
F-100
EP-AWZ (Ahwaz)
EP-MIS (Masjid Soleiman)
EP-SUS (Susa)
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.
 
airbus11
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Lufthansa Aviation Training recently bought five DA42-VI for flight training.
They are based in Rostock-Laage (RLG) and are named after different locations used for pilot training:

D-GRLG, D-GMUC (Austrian c/s), D-GPHX, D-GBRE, D-GVRB (Eurwings c/s).
 
jplatts
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Even though Dallas Love Field's airport codes are DAL and KDAL, Southwest Airlines does have some 737-700 planes (plus 1 737-300 that has been taken out of the WN fleet) with aircraft registration numbers that end in LV in reference to WN's home base at DAL.

Here is a list of WN aircraft with registration numbers ending in LV: N340LV (no longer in fleet), N201LV, N233LV, N246LV, N264LV, N271LV, N421LV, N425LV, N433LV, N440LV, N555LV, N757LV
 
737max8
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 2:59 pm

jplatts wrote:
Even though Dallas Love Field's airport codes are DAL and KDAL, Southwest Airlines does have some 737-700 planes (plus 1 737-300 that has been taken out of the WN fleet) with aircraft registration numbers that end in LV in reference to WN's home base at DAL.

Here is a list of WN aircraft with registration numbers ending in LV: N340LV (no longer in fleet), N201LV, N233LV, N246LV, N264LV, N271LV, N421LV, N425LV, N433LV, N440LV, N555LV, N757LV


After flying N421LV to Las Vegas once, I can’t help but associate LV with that city! Never even thought it could be a knock towards Love
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm

737max8 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Even though Dallas Love Field's airport codes are DAL and KDAL, Southwest Airlines does have some 737-700 planes (plus 1 737-300 that has been taken out of the WN fleet) with aircraft registration numbers that end in LV in reference to WN's home base at DAL.

Here is a list of WN aircraft with registration numbers ending in LV: N340LV (no longer in fleet), N201LV, N233LV, N246LV, N264LV, N271LV, N421LV, N425LV, N433LV, N440LV, N555LV, N757LV


After flying N421LV to Las Vegas once, I can’t help but associate LV with that city! Never even thought it could be a knock towards Love


I assumed these (NxxxLV) were a reference to their ticker symbol LUV rather than Las Vegas or Love Field.
Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,B190,(..54 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
jplatts
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm

GCT64 wrote:
737max8 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Even though Dallas Love Field's airport codes are DAL and KDAL, Southwest Airlines does have some 737-700 planes (plus 1 737-300 that has been taken out of the WN fleet) with aircraft registration numbers that end in LV in reference to WN's home base at DAL.

Here is a list of WN aircraft with registration numbers ending in LV: N340LV (no longer in fleet), N201LV, N233LV, N246LV, N264LV, N271LV, N421LV, N425LV, N433LV, N440LV, N555LV, N757LV


After flying N421LV to Las Vegas once, I can’t help but associate LV with that city! Never even thought it could be a knock towards Love


I assumed these (NxxxLV) were a reference to their ticker symbol LUV rather than Las Vegas or Love Field.


The WN LUV ticker symbol was actually derived from Dallas Love Field, the home base for Southwest Airlines, even though Southwest Airlines's airport codes are WN and SWA and even though Dallas Love Field's airport codes are DAL and KDAL.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 4:15 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
EI defiantly did this intentionally, G-YMML is a coincidence. G-YMMx is one of the series of registrations BA used for its 777s. “YMM” apparently refers to the year 2000, which was when the first aircraft in the series was delivered. BA usually selects the series of registrations carefully. The other 777s are G-ZZZx, Z looks a bit like 7. The A380s are G-XLEx (Xtra Large European Aircraft) and the A320s are G-EUxx, representing the EU destinations the A320 fleet mainly serves.

As for EI, the initial batch of A330s were EI-DUB, EI-CRK, EI-SHN, -JFK, -EWR and -ORD. CRK and SHN refer to Cork and Shannon, but are not the correct codes. All the aircraft have now left the fleet, but -EWR retained its original registration when it returned to the fleet.


G-BYGA stands for something too, I just can't remember what...

So does G-VIIA...is that 7 in roman numerals?
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
posti
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:51 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 5:39 pm

When Caribbean Airlines acquired two 767s they were registered 9Y-LGW and 9Y-LHR in anticipation of Port of Spain to London flights. The route has been dropped and both aircraft have left the fleet.
MKE via RAC, LAF, VRN, SEA, and LGW
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Arion640 wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
The other 777s are G-ZZZx, Z looks a bit like 7.

G-BYGA stands for something too, I just can't remember what...
So does G-VIIA...is that 7 in roman numerals?


The 77Ws are G-STBx, for reasons I don't know.
The G-VIIx series is almost certainly from the Roman numerals for 7, and G-ZZZx probably from the visual resemblance between Z and 7.

There is also a 772 registered out-of-sequence as G-RAES in reference to the Royal Aeronautical Society, as G-VIII wasn't available having previously been issued to a preserved Spitfire Mk. VIII.

I recall a suggestion that G-BYGx might be a cute trick on "byg" sounding like "big".

Of course we have rather drifted from the original topic here, so in consolation I suggest QF's B767-338ER VH-OGG, which was total co-incidence but may just have ended up at HNL a few times...
 
User avatar
CollegeAviator
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 pm

AirAsia India went with registration of new planes aligned with new stations being opened.
VT-BLR (Bengaluru)
VT-CCU (Kolkata)
VT-HYD (Hyderabad)
VT-IXR (Ranchi)
VT-IXC (Chandigarh)
VT-PNQ (Pune)
VT-SXR (Srinagar)
 
Arion640
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
The other 777s are G-ZZZx, Z looks a bit like 7.

G-BYGA stands for something too, I just can't remember what...
So does G-VIIA...is that 7 in roman numerals?


The 77Ws are G-STBx, for reasons I don't know.
The G-VIIx series is almost certainly from the Roman numerals for 7, and G-ZZZx probably from the visual resemblance between Z and 7.

There is also a 772 registered out-of-sequence as G-RAES in reference to the Royal Aeronautical Society, as G-VIII wasn't available having previously been issued to a preserved Spitfire Mk. VIII.

I recall a suggestion that G-BYGx might be a cute trick on "byg" sounding like "big".

Of course we have rather drifted from the original topic here, so in consolation I suggest QF's B767-338ER VH-OGG, which was total co-incidence but may just have ended up at HNL a few times...


Found what I needed to find, the full list copied and pasted from flyertalk!

G-EU** for the European Union
G-YMM* (777): Year 2000
G-VII* (777): "7", for obvious reasons
G-BUS* (A320): Play on Airbus
G-LCY* (E170): London City Airport
G-BYG* Big aircraft
G-RAES Royal Aeronautical Engineering Society
G-STB* STretched Boeing
G-BNLA first 747-436 reg picked for Brand New Large Aircraft.
G-BNWA first 767-336ER, the reg being for G-ZZZ* ZZZ resembles 777
G-TTO* Three Two O (320)
G-TTI* Three Two I (321)
G-XLEA* Xtra Large European Airbus
G-CIV* A poor attempt at 400 in roman numbers (C is 100 IV is 4 meaning CIV is actually 104).
G-ZBJ* ZBJ has a (very) passing resemblance to 787
G-DOC* DOmestiC
G-GBTA Guild of Business Travel Agents

Concordes were all BOA* the intended original operator was to be BOAC (Pre-BA)
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Found what I needed to find, the full list copied and pasted from flyertalk!

G-EU** for the European Union
...


I'd be wary of accepting these as gospel as I don't believe BA has ever made a public confirmation of any of these meanings. In particular, I'd say the G-EUxx series comes from "Euro Fleet" rather than any out of any particular affection for Brussels, but still an excellent start.

You'll also see A320s and A321s in the G-MEDx and G-MIDx ranges, for British Mediterranean and British Midland.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Found what I needed to find, the full list copied and pasted from flyertalk!

G-EU** for the European Union
...


I'd be wary of accepting these as gospel as I don't believe BA has ever made a public confirmation of any of these meanings. In particular, I'd say the G-EUxx series comes from "Euro Fleet" rather than any out of any particular affection for Brussels, but still an excellent start.

You'll also see A320s and A321s in the G-MEDx and G-MIDx ranges, for British Mediterranean and British Midland.


Yeah I know what you mean. I guess enthusiasts have done some guessing. It's quite obvious what MID and MED mean, but what about the DCB range?
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
GE90man
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Mon May 14, 2018 11:12 pm

You’d get a kick out of Virgin Atlantic’s registrations (G-VSXY), or WOW air’s (TF-MOM, -DAD, -BRO...), or one of my favorites, Corsair’s F-HSEX, an appropriately named former 747 that made plenty of trips down to SXM.
 
User avatar
TedToToe
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 am

Arion640 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Found what I needed to find, the full list copied and pasted from flyertalk!

G-EU** for the European Union
...


I'd be wary of accepting these as gospel as I don't believe BA has ever made a public confirmation of any of these meanings. In particular, I'd say the G-EUxx series comes from "Euro Fleet" rather than any out of any particular affection for Brussels, but still an excellent start.

You'll also see A320s and A321s in the G-MEDx and G-MIDx ranges, for British Mediterranean and British Midland.


Yeah I know what you mean. I guess enthusiasts have done some guessing. It's quite obvious what MID and MED mean, but what about the DCB range?

The DCB range has something to do with British Midland's origins being Derby Airways.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 am

TedToToe wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:

I'd be wary of accepting these as gospel as I don't believe BA has ever made a public confirmation of any of these meanings. In particular, I'd say the G-EUxx series comes from "Euro Fleet" rather than any out of any particular affection for Brussels, but still an excellent start.

You'll also see A320s and A321s in the G-MEDx and G-MIDx ranges, for British Mediterranean and British Midland.


Yeah I know what you mean. I guess enthusiasts have done some guessing. It's quite obvious what MID and MED mean, but what about the DCB range?

The DCB range has something to do with British Midland's origins being Derby Airways.


Thought it may be something like that. Thanks for sharing.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
Boair
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am

French "Sun Carriers" have quiet a lot:

Air Caraïbes:
F-OFDF ( Fort-de-France)
F-HPTP (Pointe-a-Pitre)
F-HHAV (Havana)

French Blue:
F-HPUJ (Punta Cana)
F-HREU (La Réunion, tought airport code is RUN)

Air Austral:
F-OREU (La Réunion, not the real code)
F-OMRU (Mauritius)
F-OZSE (Saint-Pierre Pierrefonds)
A313 A318 A319 A320 A321 A330 A343 A380 B734 B73H B738 B744 B752 B763 B77E B77W B788 B789 AT72 DH8D MD88 E145 IL96 PC6
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Worth noting too that the French F-Oxxx range is for aircraft registered in overseas departments (départements d’outre-mer) or to foreign lessors.
 
User avatar
TedToToe
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Aircraft registrations' connections to airport codes

Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

GE90man wrote:
You’d get a kick out of Virgin Atlantic’s registrations (G-VSXY)

Regarding VS, they have previously operated G-VMIA (741) G-VJFK and G-VLAX (742) G-VATL (346) and G-VATH (321)
I believe G-VSEA was in reference to the sea and not Seattle!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: global2, PatrickZ80 and 11 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos