Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanrap1
Topic Author

Contemplating flying AeroMexico

Sat May 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Good Afternoon All,

Looks like I am heading to Mexico City for Labor Day weekend!
I'm looking on AeroMexico website and the flight from SAT - MEX says 2 hours with premium meal / premium alcohol.

How is the inflight service? What kind of meal could be included? I am guessing that's included in price of flight?
AeroMexico website is advertising $75 ea way on that route. Is that a good deal?

FlyHappy

Re: Contemplating flying AeroMexico

Sun May 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Are you sure you aren't looking at the RJ / Aerolitoral service? $150/RT for any int'l 2 hour flight in the Americas is basically free, and should be booked immediately. On the other hand, the "premium meal / premium alcohol" is probably only the "Premier" class (ie, "Business") and will cost 3x what you are thinking.

I am skeptical that anything mainline in the AM/DL JV is so cheap.

BENAir01

Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 pm

For that short a flight they’re probably pretty good. I’d take them.

LTU932

Sun May 13, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm thinking of flying AM SJO-MEX myself for an extended weekend in Mexico City (hopefully at the end of the year if everything goes well). I believe they fly the 73G to SJO, so I hope that experience will turn out to be fine. Yes, we do have Volaris and Interjet, but I'm still considering flying a legacy carrier.

BMIMSNPHX

Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm

I flew AM for the first time last year. I would recommend them. Service in general was a notch above U.S. carriers, but still hit-or-miss. Are you flying AM metal or Aerolitoral? I flew all mainline and have read on other forums that Aerolitoral/AM Connect has some reliability issues. Because of the price, though, and a non-stop flight I would recommend AM. The breakfast I got on MEX-LAX (777) was not very substantial, but still more than what you get with U.S. carriers.

Make sure you brush up on your Spanish (listening and reading, at the very least), if needed. Transiting MEX will be a lot easier and knowing the local language will be helpful for your whole trip. Have fun!

Chemist

Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I have flown them and they seemed better than the US carriers.
But MEX airport, not so much.

LTU932

Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Chemist wrote:
I hear ya. I've never been to MEX T2 (which is where AM is located), but on my only flight with MX to MEX back in 2010, I had to go to T1, and the signage was simply confusing. It was the worst connecting experience I've had. I hope T2 is far better than T1 in that regard.

Chemist

Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 am

LTU932 wrote:
Chemist wrote:
I hear ya. I've never been to MEX T2 (which is where AM is located), but on my only flight with MX to MEX back in 2010, I had to go to T1, and the signage was simply confusing. It was the worst connecting experience I've had. I hope T2 is far better than T1 in that regard.

This was perhaps 10 years ago. i don't remember which terminal it was, but the signage and communications on connections was horrible.

LTU932

Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 am

Chemist wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

This was perhaps 10 years ago. i don't remember which terminal it was, but the signage and communications on connections was horrible.
I was warned back then by other Mexican A.netters about how confusing MEX was (or still is), so I knew what I was getting myself into.

BMIMSNPHX

Fri May 18, 2018 2:52 am

T2 is very easy to navigate. Communications is another story, some employees (some, at 5am) were quite cold (the terminal was even colder) and if you don't know Spanish, you might miss your boarding announcement (generally domestic flights). Know some aviation lingo en espanol!

Adapt to the situation and you will be just fine. I had an eight hour layover in T2, coming off a red-eye so I consider myself familiar with the terminal and the odor of the nearby landfill. Enjoy the trip!