jamsco99
Topic Author

how far in advance will boarding passes work

Sat May 12, 2018 11:08 am

boarding pass has been printed at home, no luggage to check and wanting to head straight through security, how far in advance can you realistically go airside.
For example would the boarding pass not work until at least 4 hours prior to the flight?
do different airports have differing times or is that a recognized standard?

(just curious, not asking why anyone would want to go airside so far in advance)

Slash787

Re: how far in advance will boarding passes work

Sat May 12, 2018 11:16 am

You can pass through security as long as you have the boarding pass, many people who have an evening flight, they check out from their hotel in the afternoon and sit at the airport lounge or near the boarding gate. Yeah if you reach the airport 2 days before your flight then it would seem fishy, some airlines allow to check in online 24 hours before or 12 hours before the flight.

tonystan

Sat May 12, 2018 11:17 am

Don’t think it really matters. Iv arrived at airports up to 6hours before departure. My experience of this is limited to DUB, LHR, MAN, HKG, SIN, SYD and a few others but as long as the date is correct I haven’t had a problem.

It’s luggage check in that can often be the issue time wise with baggage halls not prepared for luggage for flights later in the day!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

PatrickZ80

Sat May 12, 2018 11:55 am

Slash787 wrote:
some airlines allow to check in online 24 hours before or 12 hours before the flight.

And some even longer, even up to several weeks before the flight. For example if you go on holiday for a week, you check in online for your return flight even before you leave home and print your boarding passes before you leave. That way you don't have to struggle to check in online while on holiday and find a printer to print them (some people prefer paper boarding passes over digital ones).

Theoretically the boarding pass should work from the moment you check in, as far as I know there's no time restriction. Sometimes it's possible to pass security twice on the same boarding card, so for example if you want to go shopping airside the day before your flight you can.

UpNAWAy

Sat May 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I have wondered the same thing for a different reason. Since security in the US scans your boarding pass, I have wondered exactly what is that hooked up to? For example if my flight canceled but I have boarding pass in hand and want to go through security and deal with a new boarding pass at a gate will that work or is their data real time and they would send me back to the ticket counter? It may be connected to real time information or it may just be reading the data on the boarding pass and storing it???

flyguy84

Sat May 12, 2018 4:00 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
I have wondered the same thing for a different reason. Since security in the US scans your boarding pass, I have wondered exactly what is that hooked up to? For example if my flight canceled but I have boarding pass in hand and want to go through security and deal with a new boarding pass at a gate will that work or is their data real time and they would send me back to the ticket counter? It may be connected to real time information or it may just be reading the data on the boarding pass and storing it???

I’m pretty sure all the information they see on the boarding pass when they scan it is date name and where you’re going. They don’t see flight status or anything of that nature.

knope2001

Sat May 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Several years back I showed up at security at 9:45am for a 4:00pm flight and the agent said "that flight's not for another six hours". I told him I was hoping to get on an earlier flight stand-by and there was no issue.

I'm not aware of any specific rule but I think they are just looking for anything suspicious. As long as you can readily offer a reasonable explanation if asked I think that's the key. And so I think even saying "I'm a big airline buff and so on days I travel I like to spend extra time watching planes" would probably be no issue.

Aesma

Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Last time I flew out of CDG my pass was scanned before security. I think it was the first time, usually it's only a visual check. Of course if the person checking knows (or reads) the flight is in a long time they might have done something about it, I don't know.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

32andBelow

Sat May 12, 2018 5:18 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

There’s a system called secure flight. All your information gets sent to secure flight and you get cleared. If it doesn’t clear you the airline won’t print you a boarding pass cus your on the no fly list.

Cubsrule

Sat May 12, 2018 5:26 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Several years back I showed up at security at 9:45am for a 4:00pm flight and the agent said "that flight's not for another six hours". I told him I was hoping to get on an earlier flight stand-by and there was no issue.

I'm not aware of any specific rule but I think they are just looking for anything suspicious. As long as you can readily offer a reasonable explanation if asked I think that's the key. And so I think even saying "I'm a big airline buff and so on days I travel I like to spend extra time watching planes" would probably be no issue.

When staying at the Westin at DTW I will sometimes run the concourse the morning of a late afternoon departure rather than running on the treadmill. TSA has never said a thing even though I think it’s pretty obvious what I am doing based on attire and lack of luggage.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

PatrickZ80

Sat May 12, 2018 6:32 pm

32andBelow wrote:
There’s a system called secure flight. All your information gets sent to secure flight and you get cleared. If it doesn’t clear you the airline won’t print you a boarding pass cus your on the no fly list.

But in this case it's not the airline printing your boarding pass. You check in online at home and print your own boarding pass, bypassing the check-in desks at the airport and going straight to security when you arrive at the airport.

XAM2175

Sat May 12, 2018 6:56 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
But in this case it's not the airline printing your boarding pass. You check in online at home and print your own boarding pass, bypassing the check-in desks at the airport and going straight to security when you arrive at the airport.

I think it's fair to say that if you don't clear SecureFlight you're not getting checked-in, regardless of where the boarding pass is coming from.

Similarly, journey characteristics look a bit odd? Maybe you might need to prove you'll be allowed to cross the border at your destination? "We're sorry, you'll need to check-in at the airport for this journey".

ACDC8

Sat May 12, 2018 8:19 pm

As far as Canada is concerned, as long as you have a boarding pass, you can go through security whenever. The only exception that I know of is that some airports won't let you go through security until 4 hours before the flight in regards to US Departures.

As for going out of security after you've gone through, many work colleagues of mine do this to go out and have a smoke when we get there early or if there is a flight delay - they've only been questioned once, I'm guessing the security personal was fairly new.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Cubsrule

Sat May 12, 2018 9:13 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
As for going out of security after you've gone through, many work colleagues of mine do this to go out and have a smoke when we get there early or if there is a flight delay - they've only been questioned once, I'm guessing the security personal was fairly new.

There are tons of reasons somebody might leave security. Some examples might include returning to the ticket counter to deal with a ticketing issue (especially at a smaller airport that might not have personnel airside until shortly before the flight), getting rid of a prohibited item caught at the security checkpoint, returning forgotten rental car keys, or smoking. It’s very rarely an issue on domestic flights.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ACDC8

Sat May 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
There are tons of reasons somebody might leave security. Some examples might include returning to the ticket counter to deal with a ticketing issue (especially at a smaller airport that might not have personnel airside until shortly before the flight), getting rid of a prohibited item caught at the security checkpoint, returning forgotten rental car keys, or smoking. It’s very rarely an issue on domestic flights.

Oh, I totally agree with you - like I said, I've never seen an issue other than the one time with the one individual security screener. The only thing is, if the airport uses automatic boarding pass readers as they do (sometimes) in YEG, then you just need to go to the attendant so they can manually re-scan your boarding pass.

Now, if you go through pre-clearance from Canada to the US, thats a different story - once you're past security, thats it - no way out.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut